• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Signatures and banners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
The staff have noticed lately that there are quite a few members whose sigs break the board rules, particularly in respect of size and animated banners (especially when viewed in certain browsers). All members are reminded that their sigs should conform to the rules and that they can be amended or removed without notice if they don't.

From the BB's FAQ -

Signatures should be no more than 150 pixels high x 725 pixels wide total and should include no more than 8 lines of text. It also should not cause a horizontal scroll bar on a 800 x 600 resolution screen. Only the first 150 pixels high of your sig will display in posts. Sound wavs, offensive language, links to other similar themed forums, and any quotes or pictures that would be 'spoilers' are not allowed. Only jpg or gif banners are allowed (no pngs or bmps - if you need help converting a file, please contact a member of the staff). Please also do not include lists of names of board friends - while we are happy that you have made friends on the boards, this can make other members feel excluded and is contrary to the community we wish to have here. Site staff may remove items from your signature at their discretion without prior notice.

Buffy-Boards - Forum Rules

Your sig should be no bigger than the banner shown in the FAQ -
sample.jpg

You will also find the following in the FAQ concerning uploading banners and animated banners -

How do I get a banner in my sig? / How do I upload a banner to the internet?
Please do not link to attachments on the board in your signatures. You will need to upload the image you want to use to the internet before you can put it in your signature. Check out freehomepages.com (or another free host) if you do not have a website to upload it to.

In your signature box (Under usercp, then Edit Signature), type this:

coolbanner.jpg*
using your image host details and removing the asterisks.

You can find the url address of the picture by right clicking on it, and then choosing properties.

Can I have an animated banner in my sig?
One small animated banner is allowed per person. If your banner causes other members’ scrollbar to ‘jump’ or in any other way messes up board functions, you will be asked to remove it.

Buffy-Boards - Forum Rules

If you you have several small images in your sig and they take up more area than allowed you might find that you can arrange them better by using the BB code tags

L
Lindsey McDonald
Can I get some clarification on what qualifies as a "small" gif? Does it basically just mean no animated banners?

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
Five by Five agrees: Can I get some clarification on what qualifies as a "small" gif? Does it basically just mean no animated banners?
I'm not sure what you mean...I've quoted the section on animated banners above and it clearly says One small animated banner is allowed per person.
By "small" I am referring to the badge and button sized images, such as those in my sig, rather than one large banner. I don't think that it needs much more qualification than that but if you need more please let me know.

L
Lindsey McDonald
I'm sorry. Mixture of misreading and miscomprehension on the word banner. Thanks for the clarification.
S
Superstar
Most sites also have a kb size limit on the .sigs. (i.e. no more than say 20-25k - a large .sig). That keeps down sigs done at 1200dpi and such. I even know of sites that have kb limitations on avatars as well.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Superstar agrees: Most sites also have a kb size limit on the .sigs. (i.e. no more than say 20-25k - a large .sig). That keeps down sigs done at 1200dpi and such. I even know of sites that have kb limitations on avatars as well.

Well we're trying to be accommodating while keeping the board loading for everyone, rather than making a hard ceiling.

S
Superstar
No worries. For example I have 3 images right now: 5.27kb, 4.74kb, 8.17kb for a total of 18.18kb. Someone with a 200kb sig is 11 times as large and begins to show after just a few posts. You guys are so nice to not put limits.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom