• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Skye/Ward = Buffy/Angel

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I gave up on Agents of Shield after Season 2ish but I thought Season 1 was pretty cool and I understand that Joss was a part of the creative arc of the early season stuff. To that end it always struck me that there was in my mind a parallel of a story between the Buffy/Angel arc and the Skye/Ward arc.

Buffy falls in love with Angel, he turns evil and she ends up having to fight against Angelus and yet Angelus remains obsessed with Buffy even after turning evil.

Skye falls for Ward, turns out he works for Hydra, he betrays her and the crew, they have to fight against him. All the while he continues to have a soft spot for Skye.

Did anyone else see these similarities.

Priceless

Scooby
There are some similarities, but Ward had always worked for Hydra and always been a double agent, he knew from the first moment of meeting Skye that he was betraying her, so I doubt that could be considered real love.

Angel loved Buffy. He didn't fully understand how he'd been cursed, and that one moment of happiness would release Angelus. To me, there's not real betrayal there. Ward had choices, Angel didn't. You could argue that he should have found out more about the curse and he could be blamed for being so negligent, but that's not the same as deliberately betraying someone.

And Agents of Shield is amazing! Every season is better than the last

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
There are some similarities, but Ward had always worked for Hydra and always been a double agent, he knew from the first moment of meeting Skye that he was betraying her, so I doubt that could be considered real love.

Angel loved Buffy. He didn't fully understand how he'd been cursed, and that one moment of happiness would release Angelus. To me, there's not real betrayal there. Ward had choices, Angel didn't. You could argue that he should have found out more about the curse and he could be blamed for being so negligent, but that's not the same as deliberately betraying someone.

And Agents of Shield is amazing! Every season is better than the last
Yeah I agree whereas Ward consciously decided to plot and betray the team, Angel turned evil accidentally.

I guess I was noticing the similarities of the plot where you have someone who is trusted who suddeny becomes the enemy. And also that this enemy continues to have feelings (however dark and twisted) to the girl he betrayed.

I have thought about jumping back into AOS maybe I'll give it another go.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Don't know about the whole Sky/Ward and Buffy/Angel connection, but Fitzsimmons kind of reminds me a little of high school years Willow & Xander.

Priceless

Scooby
Don't know about the whole Sky/Ward and Buffy/Angel connection, but Fitzsimmons kind of reminds me a little of high school years Willow & Xander.
Do you think they'd be better off friends rather then romantic partners? I think they make a nic couple, although a bit predictable.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I think they could've worked either way, but they definitely went romantic kind of early, so no big. I'm definitely team Fitzsimmons. ♥

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I definitely see Angel/Buffy in Skye/Ward. The reveal episode gave similar feelings to Passion. Later, down the track Ward is sucked into a hell dimension, (whoops, I mean planet) by a giant rock - I see the similarities.

In s4 in the framework, Ward loved and was still with Skye - I do think his feelings for her were genuine even though his agenda was not.

Give it another go, I missed some of s3 and the ghostrider stuff, s4 is similar to the Jasmine arc and its all been worth watching.

deathlysmirk

"Am I the Good Slayer now?"
I think the chemistry between the actors really sold the ship. It could've been the 'forever' type ship from the actors alone but the storyline didn't justify them being star-crossed lovers. Ward may have somewhere loved Skye but it wasn't enough to do the right thing by her or anyone else. Angel on the other hand, loved Buffy enough to let her live her life. I mean, he knew he couldn't be happy with her without unleashing Angelus. So no. I don't see them as similar.

crazysoulless

Scooby
I couldn't get passed s1 even though I was so eager to watch the new Whedon show that starred Coulson & SHIELD agents with Marvel cameos.

I did hear it improved but s1 man, that was a low starting field to me.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Its cheesey and aimed at pleasing the masses, it had some moments that didnt work. The show really does have a few re-occuring Joss ideas. I like having something not as sexually explicit or violent as new netflix shows, and ideas that I love watching in other sci fi shows. Its easy to pick up and drop. So I am a fan.

I do miss Ward. @deathlysmirk is right about the chemistry. I hated skye at first but ward made the actor work. Now daisy has grown into her character and I like her.

crazysoulless
crazysoulless
I agree. I hated Daisy but the trailers for the later seasons she seems great and more nuanced.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
I think Skye/Ward are very different form Buffy/Angel, except for that one time when they're sorta like Buffy/Twilight (Ward even seems to model his sense of style after Angel during that period).

I did not think they would grant Ward (hah!) his redemption, but they sorta did ... and it broke my heart.

Top Bottom