• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Slayers and Vampires : the complete uncensored, unauthorized oral history of Buffy & Angel

Mylie

Scooby
So I'm reading a bit of this book every day. For those who don't know it's a book that came out in 2017 and it has a lot of quotes from the cast and crew, producers and people working in television, about BtVS and AtS.

The book is in 3 parts (BtVS, AtS, Across the Buffyverse) and it has a lot of content (524 pages). I'm slowly making my way through it (just finished the first chapter) and I decided to create this thread because there's a quote that surprised me a bit (I had never seen it before) and that I wanted to share.

I'll probably post more of them eventually. I'm only on page 37.

And if anyone else is reading that book and wants to share quotes as well, then even better! :)

Here's the quote :

It was about four years after the end of the run of Buffy that I really just went "Oh, I was Buffy! The whole time." I always thought I was Xander before he started getting laid. I'm the wacky sidekick. Then I had this shocking moment of idiotic revelation that I'd been writing about myself that whole time. - Joss Whedon

I knew he felt he was Xander but the part about Buffy is news to me. I can't remember him ever expressing anything about relating to Buffy. I thought that was interesting and I'm also trying to see how he was Buffy this whole time?

Andreana22

Potential
Maybe it’s because Buffy was kind of an underdog. She could have been the blonde who was killed by a vampire in the first scene of a movie, but she turned out to be the hero, the one who slayed the vampires. Maybe Joss felt he was like that too. He wanted to tell stories when prime time tv was episodic and had laugh tracks. Maybe he thought of himself as an underdog too and when they gave him the chance, he showed them that he could create something more than they expected.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
That quote made me think of this one from Marti Noxon:

Excerpts from Mary O’Connell’s Interview with Marti Noxon

MN : Well, I have a theory, and it’s something I’ve been working on all these years, and Joss may hate me for saying this, but I think it’s an exploration of being exceptional. I mean the whole idea of being a super-hero is the idea that you are unlike other people, and people are drawn to that, but at the same time, it makes you the other...someone that may have trouble relating. It’s inherently a lonely thing, and I haven’t said this to Joss, but I kind of think it’s his life story. Because he’s exceptionally brilliant, and he has abilities other people don’t have. He can take the summer off and write a musical that’s every bit as good as what major composers, who’ve dedicated their life, can come up with. He’s just an amazingly smart, over-capable person. And he lives in a world where his brain functions faster than most people’s. And not that he can leap tall buildings, but the more I look at Buffy’s struggle, I see it’s a study of being exceptional.

Mylie

Scooby

MN : Well, I have a theory, and it’s something I’ve been working on all these years, and Joss may hate me for saying this, but I think it’s an exploration of being exceptional. I mean the whole idea of being a super-hero is the idea that you are unlike other people, and people are drawn to that, but at the same time, it makes you the other...someone that may have trouble relating. It’s inherently a lonely thing, and I haven’t said this to Joss, but I kind of think it’s his life story. Because he’s exceptionally brilliant, and he has abilities other people don’t have. He can take the summer off and write a musical that’s every bit as good as what major composers, who’ve dedicated their life, can come up with. He’s just an amazingly smart, over-capable person. And he lives in a world where his brain functions faster than most people’s. And not that he can leap tall buildings, but the more I look at Buffy’s struggle, I see it’s a study of being exceptional.
Wow, I had never seen that quote but it makes so much sense! Thanks! :)

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn

Yep, I've seen this before. I think it really does come across by S7, 'Conversations With Dead People' being a prime example.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
Because he’s exceptionally brilliant, and he has abilities other people don’t have. He can take the summer off and write a musical that’s every bit as good as what major composers, who’ve dedicated their life, can come up with. He’s just an amazingly smart, over-capable person. And he lives in a world where his brain functions faster than most people’s. And not that he can leap tall buildings, but the more I look at Buffy’s struggle, I see it’s a study of being exceptional.
Jesus Marti, remove your head from his ass please.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
My thought EXACTLY!

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn

I suppose it's a nice senitment, or meant as such from her, but I actually kind of think it undermines Buffy as a show. At least for me.

Spanky
Spanky
you got too exhausted or you got to exhausted? I know there's a Hell somewhere in the frozen arctic area, is there an Exhausted too? How long did it take you to travel there?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
it undermines Buffy as a show.
Why? I mean, I thought that was the whole premise of the show. I don't see where she was saying anything new about the show at all.

Taake
Taake
Started to write a response but got to exhausted *shrug*

Mylie

Scooby
Just read another quote I wanted to share because I remember this being discussed on the forum a while back. So here :

My attitude is the show wasn't so good that it's worth anybody getting hurt for it. Sarah was always covered with bruises and I was saying "Sarah, don't do this stuff. We'll get the close-up of you saying the funny thing after". "No, no, I can do it," she said, and then she gets this giant black-and-blue mark on her arm. "Sarah, stop, please!" - Joss Whedon

Mylie

Scooby
Still going through the book and found those quotes today :

I remember it being pretty tense on set, but because I had so little experience working on live-action shows, I don't know how much of that is normal and how much was unique to that show. I didn't get the sense that a lot of rewriting was being done on set. - Dan Vebber

Buffy was not a very happy experience for many people, even though it was a good show. They asked me to continue, but after so many people in my department got fired that first year in 1996, I elected to just do the first season. Never regretted not going back, even when the show became a hit. - Mark Hansson

We all knew the Buffy actors really well, because we're in the same space. If you have a break, you go down, you watch them shooting, you talk, you have lunch with the actors. On Angel we never saw anybody, because they were across town. Unless we had a reason to go to the set. It was a pleasure to be able to be on set of a show I had been working on for years but only occasionally visited. Did not know the crew as well, because, again, we just didn't have the opportunity to drive across town to go to the stages where they're shooting Angel. - David Fury

Buffy was not a very happy experience for many people, even though it was a good show. They asked me to continue, but after so many people in my department got fired that first year in 1996, I elected to just do the first season. Never regretted not going back, even when the show became a hit. - Mark Hansson
It makes sense that things were tense during the first season. It must have been a baptism by fire. If I were him, I would have stuck it out after the show was picked up for a second season.

Mylie

Scooby
Other quotes :

The network was afraid of Joss. They almost never gave notes. Occasionally they'd call me and say, "Does Willow really have to be gay? Can't you talk him out of that?" I always ran to Joss like Robert Duvall as Tom Hagan in The Godfather and would always say, "My employer is someone who likes to hear bad news fast". I would tell Joss whatever was going on. He was right. Willow was gay before every show had a gay character. - David Greenwalt

They really let me get away with murder. They got what the show is, how strange it is, how it's all over the place, how edgy it sometimes is, and so there was never really a problem. We never had a story thrown out or a real disaster. We've had standards and practices issues, which you have on every show, but they got what we were doing and they didn't interfere. I've seen networks that do it the other way and this is the ideal. - Joss Whedon

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Other quotes :

The network was afraid of Joss. They almost never gave notes. Occasionally they'd call me and say, "Does Willow really have to be gay? Can't you talk him out of that?" I always ran to Joss like Robert Duvall as Tom Hagan in The Godfather and would always say, "My employer is someone who likes to hear bad news fast". I would tell Joss whatever was going on. He was right. Willow was gay before every show had a gay character. - David Greenwalt

They really let me get away with murder. They got what the show is, how strange it is, how it's all over the place, how edgy it sometimes is, and so there was never really a problem. We never had a story thrown out or a real disaster. We've had standards and practices issues, which you have on every show, but they got what we were doing and they didn't interfere. I've seen networks that do it the other way and this is the ideal. - Joss Whedon
I love how those two quotes paint completely opposite pictures. Joss is all 'yeah the network was cool. They let me do pretty much whatever I wanted.' and Greewalt's like: 'They were terrified of him!'

Steven123

Angel's Buddy
I love how those two quotes paint completely opposite pictures. Joss is all 'yeah the network was cool. They let me do pretty much whatever I wanted.' and Greewalt's like: 'They were terrified of him!'
Could be a case of the network knowing that Joss was basically on a winner with the show obviously, at the time it would have been bringing them what I would guess have been a pretty substantial amount of money for how long running it was and how popular it was at the time. Happens a lot where networks work around the writer rather than the opposite way around. Doesn't always work out though, network ends up suffering through any faults that the writer has when it becomes a power struggle.

fauxindigo

Scooby
The network was afraid of Joss. They almost never gave notes. Occasionally they'd call me and say, "Does Willow really have to be gay? Can't you talk him out of that?

It's so annoying that some show executives want to stay away from gay characters... suppposedly because they're worried about ratings, when the Scooby gang originally consisted of characters supposed to be the outcasts, "freaks", "losers", ones with secret identities etc... like, they didn't think a gay character (not to mention multiple gay characters) made sense?

Mylie

Scooby
A couple of quotes about the season 2 arc. Some I had read parts of (or seen someone mention it) but not the full quote. Hopefully, there is something new here for others!

The transformation of Angel from good guy to bad guy was hard for me, both personally and professionally. I was in tune with Good Angel, but I wasn't coming home for Evil Guy. I think if you've played a character long enough, you subconsciously carry that character with you into your private life. You can shut it off to an extent, but there's a part of you that still consciously lives with it. On the set, it was particularly hard doing scenes with Sarah, because she didn't see Angel as an evil type and all of a sudden there he was. - David Boreanaz

For the most part, the relationship between Buffy and Angel had been almost a Beauty-and-the-Beast type of thing. Buffy knew what Angel was, but she still loved him. Then the transition came, and it was hard for her, and also for me, to adjust. To help Sarah with the transition, after each scene I made it a point to confirm to her that, "I'm here for you. I'm not here against you. This is not who I am." I believe there has to be a coming-down period where you hug the other actor or help the other person, and even help yourself get out of the turmoil that's been created, instead of being submerged in it. As harrowing as that can be sometimes, it's part of the acting process, and one that I would never even think of giving up. - David Boreanaz

The first time when I wrote Angel turns evil because he and Buffy made the beast, I wrote the scene where he basically pretends that he just doesn't care about her and just acts like a dick. I didn't drop my pen, but I actually looked at it and was like "Oh my god, I had no idea I was such a dick." Like, I accessed this terrible person and I was just so happy that I had this darkness in me that was just appalling, and this has been happening with this script just over and over and over. Probably too much. - Joss Whedon

When they finally said we're going to put "Go Fish" at the end of the second season when the whole season was coming to a climax with Spike and Drusilla and Angel killed Jenny, it was tough to have emotional grounding to an episode that was meant to be a funny lark, and it felt out of place. The fact was that Joss and David were thrilled with it and that's all we cared about at that time. When they called, they called gleefully from the trailer. They were jumping up and down with happiness. That was the greatest feeling to know we nailed the first hour of television we had ever written, having only done sitcoms and animated series prior to that. It was a big deal for us and it was really exciting, and so we had that to hang on to. Even as a lot of fans trashed it. On its own merits, it's a fun episode. But I'm with the fans when I say that's the last thing you want to see when all this great stuff is happening on the show and you really want to bring it to climax and you get this little side trip where Angel has one tiny scene in the episode and it's inconsequential. People are just going "What is this episode we're watching? We want to see Angel and Buffy" And we weren't seeing it. - David Fury.

Mylie

Scooby
The very last two shows of the third season ["Graduation Day"] they sent an email, because we didn't have a script yet and we had to go to work the next day and they said, "Well, there's a synopsis, but there aren't any words yet. Just come to the set." So we go to the set, we get ready, we get our costumes on while we're waiting for some words. Finally, some words come. So we say, "OK." We get the scene, we go in and rehearse it, they light it, and while that's happening, Joss is back over in a corner writing the next scene. - Harry Groener

I remember being terrified of Joss Whedon. I knew that he was the creator and head writer, so I went in with a lot of respect for him based on what I had seen on the show. I remember he came in and selected my costumes, thank goodness. The costumer had pulled a lot of glam rock, kind of clear plastic shirts and stuff. And Joss knows punk rock and he just axed all of that stuff, thank god, and got me into something that worked. - James Marsters

I didn't have a lot of exposure to Joss. I'd been on a working set. I'd visited sets, but it was one of those things where I saw an opportunity to learn something. So I spent some time on set with Marti Noxon first season and she was amazing. I'd already read a couple of her scripts and it's the worst kept secret in town that she did an uncredited polish on the episode "Halloween." And her voice was quickly becoming the strongest voice on the show that was closest to Joss, which ultimately led to her running the show seasons six and seven. - Jose Molina

Buffy was not a very collaborative show. At least not for me. It was very much Joss's show. So that was my first experience with the idea of a show runner who pretty much will do a page one rewrite of your draft. I'm always reticent to talk about my experience on the show, because people will compliment me about the episodes that I wrote. For the most part, the things that they were so impressed with are purely, one hundred percent Joss and not me. And I don't want to take credit for that. It was Joss's show for better of for worse, and for the most part it was definitely for the better. I still think it's the best thing that Joss has done. That and more recently when The Avengers came out, which is my favorite super hero movie ever. The Joss Whedon voice works so well for certain things and Buffy was the absolute pinnacle of that. It just happened to be his first big breakthrough thing that he did. - Dan Vebber

It was very much a case of him standing at the whiteboard saying, "Here's what our story is, here's what the outline is, go write it." Then you would go write it and he would rewrite it. He would take snippets of my dialogue, which was always nice because, you know, in theory, that's why he hired me, because I got these characters. I could talk in their voices. But when you look at an episode like "Lovers Walk", everyone always points to that great speech that Spike gives about the nature of love and stuff and I can't take credit for any of that. I wrote a version of that, but the version that's in the show is one hundred percent Joss's doing, which he did... in his rewrite. - Dan Vebber

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
it's the worst kept secret in town that she did an uncredited polish on the episode "Halloween."
That's interesting. I always thought it was Joss who redid the episode. I knew Carl Ellsworth got fired after he turned that script in.

Top Bottom