• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

SMG accused of being 'fatphobic'

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Sarah Michelle Gellar’s casual throwback over the weekend probably didn’t get the reaction she was hoping for.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer star shared a series of pictures from an old photo shoot in which she wore black lingerie with a men’s white shirt draped over her shoulder, showing a glimpse of her killer abs. Gellar quipped she’s going to put the photos up around her house “as a reminder not to overeat” on Thanksgiving.

1542653732950.png

So why the uproar in her comments section? Everyone agrees she looks amazing, but many people were not OK with the perceived message behind it.

“Girl, eat whatever you want! Let’s all feel free to indulge without feeling guilty about it,” one person wrote. Another sassed: “Because women don’t have enough reminders to starve themselves and stress about eating…”

“This caption proves once more that diet culture is really everywhere and that so many women have internalized this kind of thinking,” said another commenter. “It’s really a shame.”

“Wow. Really shocked that a woman in a position of influence and a mother would post this s***,” one Instagram user wrote. “Is that where you place your value? On the size of your thighs? Or your protruding hip bones? Nothing positive comes from this post. Only narcissism and the bulls*** theory that women need to be skinny to be acceptable. You should remove this post. Immediate unfollow from me.”

“A little disappointed in this caption,” added someone else. “It’s fatphobic and sad. Enjoy your thanksgiving.”

Gellar hasn’t responded to the criticism

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
The whole 'fat acceptance' movement is odious imo. A bunch of science deniers ('being overweight has NOTHING to do with poor health' etc) who are incredibly thin-skinned and perceive 'fat shaming' everywhere. Not surprised there are a bunch of them on twitter jumping all over gorgeous-looking slim people.

The perceived message behind the post is simply Sarah thinks she looks amazing there and is using the image to motivate herself for the future. Bravo.
When I wanted to keep on losing weight I kept a picture of 'big, puffy Plisburry dough-boy' me in the bathroom to help motivate my continuing loss. It works if you can have a visual goal to work towards/against.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
I thought it was an interesting post from someone who has been so open about her own eating and body disorders as well as talking about how she refuses to weigh herself. But hey, if it's something she's comfortable joking about then good for her? I don't see the need for her to remove the post or apologize, nor do I think that fans shouldn't be able to express their dislike of the implications.

K
katmobile
It's a balance isn't it? People are over reacting but I understand why. It's about striking a balance between health & being continually denying yourself. I lost a lot of weight but I'm struggling at the mo & couldn't sustain it. She looks great thou
Black Thorn
My God, she looks amazing! Really, really hot.

I'm not even going to bother commenting in depth about what the haters said about her, because I think my opinion on that is already known. Those women are a bunch of fat cows with more chins than a Chinese phone book. It's pure jealousy.

...nor do I think that fans shouldn't be able to express their dislike of the implications.
By that token, they shouldn't have a problem with someone telling them that being a hateful lard ass isn't very attractive. 😂

Now if you'll excuse me, I suddenly have some tweeting to do. 😈

Last edited:
K
katmobile
As someone who struggles with weight you hit every cliche going there didn't ya? I guess everyone needs someone they can feel superior to. You do know some people have medical reasons for weight gain right?

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I definitely don't agree that her caption was "fatphobic."
Whoever said that is seriously reaching.
Her caption was, however, perhaps ill advised, if only because people are so sensitive these days. A celeb like herself should know to be more careful to not post things that may cause controversy, unless she wants that.
I don't think there is anything wrong with what she posted. We all have different motivators to stay on track and have a healthy lifestyle. If it works for her to post photos of herself around her house when she is/was at her goal weight, who are we to judge?
Live and let live.
Just me two cents.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
"Live and let live." Definitely my motto! Well, actually my motto is "You don't $#!@ with me, I don't #$!@ but its basically the same message, right? 😆
I hate the whole culture of (insert adjective here) shaming.

People are allowed not to like stuff. People are allowed to express their negative opinions on something (not that SMG did that - she hardly posted that picture with the caption 'look how hot I was fatties - you'll never look so good.') If you don't like that someone doesn't like x aspect that you identify with (or you perceive that they dislike it - regardless of their actual feelings) then that is entirely your problem. No one owes you their positivity or esteem.

I do think women shouldn't be policed on how they look - or want to look, though. If SMG doesn't want to put on weight over the holiday period then she should be no more (vomit) 'shamed' for that than someone who is proudly piling on the pounds because eating makes them happy. And if she wants to post her goals on social media then she should be able to without people assuming her talking about herself is somehow a slight on them.

Some people just need to grow a thicker skin and remember that not everything is about them. SMG's desire not to be fat has no bearing on the fat people of the world.
I'm glad she hasn't deigned to respond. She doesn't owe them that.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
She removed the post. 😢

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
The whole 'fat acceptance' movement is odious imo. A bunch of science deniers ('being overweight has NOTHING to do with poor health' etc) who are incredibly thin-skinned and perceive 'fat shaming' everywhere.
I think there's a middle ground. People come in different shapes and sizes and I agree there's no real use giving people a hard time if they're bigger. However that doesn't mean that we should be encouraging people to turn a blind eye to fat either. In an awful lot of cases it's going to be a symptom of poor health.

Obesity is going to need to be tackled by lots of means including education, higher food standards and stricter advertising regulations. I'm not on board with people pretending that obesity is normal, for the odd person who might carry that weight healthily the vast majority won't be. Also not on board with internet outrage merchants being obnoxious because of their latest fad.

Black Thorn
Ooops, my bad!!! She didn't remove the post. I automatically thought it was on Twitter and flew over there.

I'm so happy. *tears up* This means I can go after her haters now. I can't remember when I felt such immense joy. Seriously, my emotions are running so deep right now. 😃

Last edited:
K
katmobile
Ok word of advice if you want to do anything about this that will I achieve anything other than making people think you're an arse and by implication poss Sarah too chose your words with tact. The overweight get ragged on a lot and it never helps the

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
As I see it, the tweet got 150k likes, so.... where's the controversy?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think it's a bit of an over reaction. I'm sure her husband would appreciate her pinning that image up all over the house.

The word causing the issue is probably "overeat". For some people, overeat means eating until you can barely move in which case SMG doesn't want to eat until she's about to burst which is perfectly acceptable. For other people, overeat could mean eating more than the bare minimum in which case that is probably where the controversy lies.

SMG should just eat until she's comfortably full then stop.

Black Thorn
As I see it, the tweet got 150k likes, so.... where's the controversy?
I think the "controversy" was because she had the nerve to post pictures of herself thin AND imply that she looked great. I mean, how dare she, right? :rolleyes:

The women who objected to her post have no business telling her what to do. Sarah is a grown woman, and she can do what she wants. She's not their bloody therapist. If those haters have a problem with her gorgeous pics, they can unfollow her OR lose weight.

NeonSlayer

Potential
I saw the Instagram post earlier today and wanted to tell off several of those irrational haters.

Sarah never said she is planning on returning to that weight, that it is the perfect weight, or that everyone should weigh that amount. She is 41 and gave birth twice. In those pics she was 30 and not yet a mom. There is nothing wrong with seeing pics of yourself from a decade ago and it being a good reminder not to let yourself go. It doesn't mean that's all she thinks about and it's incredibly disrespectful for them to accuse her of that when she's involved in charities and is a loving wife & mother of two. Clearly, she thinks about a lot of things besides her weight. Maybe it is the people triggered by her post who only think of their weight issues.

Most Americans overeat, especially on Thanksgiving. We supersize meals and count an entire box as one serving size when it's supposed to be enough for a whole group. We don't stop eating when we're full.

J

joseph

Sarah Michelle Gellar’s casual throwback over the weekend probably didn’t get the reaction she was hoping for.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer star shared a series of pictures from an old photo shoot in which she wore black lingerie with a men’s white shirt draped over her shoulder, showing a glimpse of her killer abs. Gellar quipped she’s going to put the photos up around her house “as a reminder not to overeat” on Thanksgiving.

View attachment 12055

So why the uproar in her comments section? Everyone agrees she looks amazing, but many people were not OK with the perceived message behind it.

“Girl, eat whatever you want! Let’s all feel free to indulge without feeling guilty about it,” one person wrote. Another sassed: “Because women don’t have enough reminders to starve themselves and stress about eating…”

“This caption proves once more that diet culture is really everywhere and that so many women have internalized this kind of thinking,” said another commenter. “It’s really a shame.”

“Wow. Really shocked that a woman in a position of influence and a mother would post this s***,” one Instagram user wrote. “Is that where you place your value? On the size of your thighs? Or your protruding hip bones? Nothing positive comes from this post. Only narcissism and the bulls*** theory that women need to be skinny to be acceptable. You should remove this post. Immediate unfollow from me.”

“A little disappointed in this caption,” added someone else. “It’s fatphobic and sad. Enjoy your thanksgiving.”

Gellar hasn’t responded to the criticism
okay if this is real I am so tired, of everyone complaining about every thing gosh r generation is really stupid you need to stop getting offended over every little thing.

DarkLordsHaunt
DarkLordsHaunt
Agreed. I too am tired of everyone getting offended over every little thing. Grow up!

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The professional offense takers have spoken! The first question to ask about fat is, "Who put it there?" I weigh 20 pounds more than I should but I don't take offense at someone who looks better than me. And I know it was me who put it there, so I don't have any qualms about what anyone else did.

In a land where obesity and its consequent diseases like diabetes, heart trouble and stroke are abundant, people should be praising her for setting a good example.

Top Bottom