• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

SMG accused of being 'fatphobic'

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Being thin, even a bit too thin, is sadly, part of her job. She knows it. That doesn't make her fat phobic. it makes her a realist. A bit sad, but also 100% true in her industry. Frankly, as stars go, she was mostly not emaciated, which isn't true of some of her contemporaries. She was always woman shaped. She always had hips. Some women her age had no hips. They looked like boys with push up bras. She never did. The world is getting a bit better about variation, but the truth is if you want to play in hollowweird, part of the price of admission to the 'non quirky' roles is to be uber-thin or if you're a guy, have a perfect gym body. Marilyn Monroe need not apply and the guys who played superman or batman in the 1950s wouldn't get to play the middle aged cop in most cop shows. Only perfection a la photoshop is good enough. And we all know the photoshop body doesn't actually exist.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
The health benefits of being within a healthy weight range is visible, measurable and obvious.

It may come as no surprise that I blame medical consumerism for most of the emotional sensitivities in current culture. If I had a dollar for every doctor that waived off my weight gain side effects with "well would you rather be fat and happy, or skinny and sad off the meds" then, I would have enough money to take the bastards to court.

They've prioritised short term happiness (highs) over long term health. It makes far more money for the medical system in the long run. Pills are cheaper than a good diet and lifestyle. Hospitals have become hotels. The blame for being overweight is easily shifted on to new medical conditions (that can also be the caused by excess weight and high sugar diets).

SMG is a shining example of living a healthy and balanced life. The fatties be jelly.

K
katmobile
Not my experience where the doctors will blame everything on smoking, weight and alcohol if they can. My shitty synases are NOT because I'm fat.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
These are the same type of people who, when seeing a thin girl in public, make comments like, "She needs a meal," or "That's so sad." I've seen this happen in real life more than once. Stuff like this started happening about three years ago, and it's gotten worse. So, it's okay to to say, "She needs a meal" loud enough for a slim girl to hear? I guess that means that next time a chubby girl walks by, I can say, "She needs a gastric bypass." Tit for tat, right? (But I'm only making a point here. I would NEVER hurt someone's feelings like that, someone I didn't even know, who'd done nothing to me)

Puppet
Puppet
How dare they be thinphobic!
K
katmobile
Anya effing lisyen to yourself you're doing it right now!
W

WillowFromBuffy

It's one of those posts where two people say something critical and overwrought and then 2000 people jump on them.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I think there's a middle ground. People come in different shapes and sizes and I agree there's no real use giving people a hard time if they're bigger. However that doesn't mean that we should be encouraging people to turn a blind eye to fat either. In an awful lot of cases it's going to be a symptom of poor health.
Agreed. The fat acceptance people are- imo- the extremists who have jumped on the 'everyone can be a protected class' bandwagon and have started equating obesity with disability, gender, trans and racial prejudice. It's laughable.

There is no reason to be mean to anybody just because of what they look like, that seems to me like basic social etiquette, but the West has a growing (expanding?) obesity crisis that needs to be addressed (in ways you suggested above).
Ignorance and outright denial is simply being unhealthy on top of...being unhealthy.

K
katmobile
Shaming people who have low self esteem to begin with is NOT the answer though. It's a lot to do with education, making healthy food available to people on low incomes, maybe counciling, sometimes it's medical conditions.

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
I think the "controversy" was because she had the nerve to post pictures of herself thin AND imply that she looked great. I mean, how dare she, right? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I got that and I agree with you 100% on principle. I think unhealthy people who complain about healthy people being openly healthy just project their resentments about their own unhappiness. It's also lazy disrespect; the level of fitness SMG is displaying actually requires quite a lot of discipline and work.

What I'm curious about is the proportionality, by ~150k likes and ~3000 comments. How many comments are from the demagogic SJW variety and how many are just gushing fanboys and girls? Is it the majority or at least a significant percentage? What type of people comment on celebrity tweets to begin with? Fans and out-for-clickbait!SJWs? Reasonable people, too? I get the impression a handful losers is stirring up a vast majority with irrelevant bullshit. And then, to make things worse, MOAR out-for-clickbait!losers write articles about it. And then, losers like us, talk about it on a message board. o_O Who gives a **** about some whiny trolls?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Us? Speak for yourself. I'M not a loser. 😛
thetopher
thetopher
This type of attitude- the fat whiners- in NOT limited to just twitter.
K
katmobile
I'm sorry anyone who uses the term SJW losses all respect.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Lol, I saw that post and thought "well, this is gonna get a bunch of anger her way" and purposely avoided the comment section because of it.

A note on this thread in general. The f-word is blurred out for a reason, there are less colorful ways to express your feelings regarding some outraged fans.
Thanks. Also, let's be careful about being rude about the critics and who they are or what they look like IRL.

Scooby Corps
Scooby Corps
Criticism accepted and taken to heart. I apologize for the colorfulness.
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Sorry about that. I got a bit carried away.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I think the comment and picture was a bit mis-guided but she meant it in a positive way and there was no malice whats so ever. The response has been OTT and then some!

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
I think the comment and picture was a bit mis-guided but she meant it in a positive way and there was no malice whats so ever. He response has been OTT and then some!
Well...I do think there might have been a little bit of smugness in Sarah's post. Just a bit, mind you. She knew she looked smoking hot, and practically PERFECT. She's only human, and wanted an excuse to show off that photo. Wouldn't you? The caption should have been, "Suck it!" 😂

By the way, I totally heard that in Dean Winchester's voice. 😎

W

WillowFromBuffy

Well...I do think there might have been a little bit of smugness in Sarah's post. Just a bit, mind you.

"Eat my cakes, then look at my body and weep, as you take yet another bite, widening the chasm between yourself and Hollywood glamour at the same speed as your body expands and its pudginess moulds itself to the shape of your comfy chair."

Who knows...

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Sad that it's turning into a "real" controversy. In USA Today, NBC, Fox. No press is bad press I guess.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
Sarah is now on a deleting spree. 😂

Someone had just responded to one of my remarks with, "All that bleach must've affected your tiny brain," and before I could even respond, it was gone. So are several other negative posts. Good!

W
WillowFromBuffy
Seriously, though. Considering the size of your brain, you should probably be careful with the bleach.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Sarah is now on a deleting spree. 😂

Someone had just responded to one of my remarks with, "All that bleach must've affected your tiny brain," and before I could even respond, it was gone. So are several other negative posts. Good!

It's sad when our freedom of speech is denied simply by people with whom our opinions differ.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Yeah, SMG should be able to post what she wants without fear of attackers. They're just jealous because they will never look that good, or be with anyone who does on their best day. idjits.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
It's sad when our freedom of speech is denied simply by people with whom our opinions differ.
Meh, it's her profile. She can delete who she wants...especially the posts that were attacking her.

Spanky
Spanky
Wasn't referring (simply) to that. I am sure she'll think twice about what she posts now. Losing some of the freedom to post whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted as she has done in the past.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Of all the things I dislike about modern culture this kind of thing is something I dislike the most.

Our bodies were not designed to be fat. It is uncomfortable to live with. The feeling of being heavy and unable to do the things that you love (running, playing sport, simply walking around) is terrible. Overeating always makes me feel tired and heavy. Of course, there are also untold medical risks associated with excess weight. Doing ANYTHING in an excessive way is unhealthy. I have to wonder if the response would be so harsh if she had said something along the lines of 'this is a reminder not to overdrink', or if she had made a comment about her glistening and gorgeous skin and said 'this is a reminder not to start smoking again'.

Tread carefully with Isaac Butterfield but I loved this video of his:

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Being fat sucks. And it is bad for you. Unless you are emaciated, being thin is actually decent for you, though it doesn't solve all health problems, it ameliorates a lot of them. No shame in being proud of a hot body.
K
katmobile
Our bodies are designed to store fat that's the problem
Top Bottom