• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

SMG accused of being 'fatphobic'

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I'm not about fat shaming. I have struggled with weight and eating and hating my body. But I am not going to celebrate being obese either b/c it is bad for you. I see no reason not to be proud of being in good shape. in the world we live in, everything makes being fit and healthy harder, and the older we get, the harder it gets. As @caitaintdead said, if smg were celebrating not drinking too much or not smoking, no one would be on her case. I'm all for not hating whatever body you're stuck with, but if I looked like SMG did, I would be damn proud and very protective of it. I'm working on not gaining any weight over the holiday too, even though I don't look like she does. I fight for every little bit of fitness as I have mobility issues, but fight for it I do.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
. I fight for every little bit of fitness as I have mobility issues, but fight for it I do

Me too. It sucks that so many choose to throw ease of movement and the gift of good health away, but if the topic is addressed were suddenly labelled "phobic".

I hate the notion that obesity is a disability. Chosen hardship does not equal disabilty. What an insult to all those kids born in limited bodies (I feel the same about gender re-assignment surgery).

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Me too. It sucks that so many choose to throw ease of movement and the gift of good health away, but if the topic is addressed were suddenly labelled "phobic".

I hate the notion that obesity is a disability. Chosen hardship does not equal disabilty. What an insult to all those kids born in limited bodies (I feel the same about gender re-assignment surgery).
Agree. My mum is almost completely immobile these days due to health issues outside of her control, yet she constantly eats a healthy and balanced diet. Feels like a slap in the face when people insinuate that obesity is a disability when my mum has done everything right and is still unable to walk.

I read somewhere (no citation so could be false) that only 1 in 10 people with obesity have underlying health issues that cause it. 90% are simply eating too much and not exercising enough. I refuse to blame my PCOS for any weight related issues I experience, as although it makes it harder to maintain a healthy weight it is definitely possible!

As a generalisation I think a lot of the problem at the moment with society is the tendency to blame everything but ourselves.

Octavia
Octavia
Agreed

Bite-me

Scooby
I would like to add, from a another angle, it certainly must not easy to be a women in the entertainment industry and I think I would prefer more body positivity. Certainly Sarah's post was not intended to shame and insult women who look nothing like that picture but as self depreciating humor, its not "ha ha" funny to me, it reads as a self defense mechanism, which humor can be, I would prefer a world in which SMG and all of us we're not made to be feel so insecure over our bodies.

The thread's conversation has gone the way of obesity and health, which is very legitimate, I've read no falsehoods regarding that, its not the first thing to enter my mind when I hear body positivity, captions like Sarah's are, and all the women's magazines with diet advice disguised as "health" advice aimed at already thin women on how to become even thinner. Its complicated dynamic our culture puts on women and no women is exempt no mater what their size , its very, very, gendered and not at all healthy.

Last edited:
Black Thorn
The reason that I take such offense at Sarah's haters and "skinny shaming" in general is because I KNOW how much work it takes to be thin. Dear God, its practically a life of suffering; working out all the time, living on coffee and ciggies, occasionally having a tiny meal. It really was torture, but I wanted to be thin. And it worked. So I have NO sympathy for someone who eats what they want, and doesn't exercise, yet thinks its okay to slam people like Sarah...or anyone else who WORKED to get a slender body. Yes, I had an eating disorder for a time, but that's on me. I would NEVER tell someone they shouldn't post skinny pics because I feel "triggered." Seriously, what the hell? Don't look at the bloody pictures if they bother you.

Plus, being thin IS fun. Let's just be truthful about that. I was a chubby kid, and when I finally got thin, it felt like Christmas everyday. At first, I'd amuse myself by strolling around Beverly Hills, wearing all black clothes, Ray Ban shades, and low-heeled boots. Since I was now thin as well as tall, I stood out. Just to mess with people, I'd do that thing that some celebrities do, turning my face away like I didn't want to be seen. 😂 And it actually made people stop to see if I was "somebody." Hysterical!!

I have much more respect for Sarah now. She did NOT remove her post, even though many people demanded that she do so. Good for her!!!

Last edited:
K
katmobile
You do know that ciggies are worse for you than obesity right?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Sarah Michelle Gellar has apologized after a throwback photo she posted of herself wearing sexy lingerie drew fire from people who accused her of fat-shaming and mocking eating disorders.

Gellar wrote an apology on Instagram as the debate continued, People reported.

“It’s come to my attention that some people think I was ‘fat shaming’ with this post. That could not be further from my intentions,” she wrote.

“I love Thanksgiving and unfortunately my eyes are often bigger than my stomach, and I tend to eat so much I make myself sick. This was a joking reminder to myself not to do that. I’m terribly sorry that people were offended by my attempt at humor. Any one that knows me, knows I would never intentionally ‘shame’ any one on any basis. I am a champion of all people.”

I don't praise many celebs, but she's a class act

The Bronze
The Bronze
Wait for someone to call her out for being animalphobic
brinkster130
brinkster130
She really is a class act
thetopher
thetopher
Thirded. Now she's officially a class act. It is written. :)

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I’m terribly sorry that people were offended by my attempt at humor.
That's a shame. I guess it makes for an easier life to apologise or someone advised her to do it. Either way I'd wish she'd have gone with my suggested approach. Everywhere you look people are kowtowing to the lunatics.

Spanky
Spanky
But that line "I am a champion of all people" is killer.

Dora

Scooby
I think it's a bit of an over reaction. I'm sure her husband would appreciate her pinning that image up all over the house.

The word causing the issue is probably "overeat". For some people, overeat means eating until you can barely move in which case SMG doesn't want to eat until she's about to burst which is perfectly acceptable. For other people, overeat could mean eating more than the bare minimum in which case that is probably where the controversy lies.

SMG should just eat until she's comfortably full then stop.
Never mind Sarah posting them all over her house , I would not mined them posted all over mine

To be honest, if SMG is sharing pictures of herself in stockings and suspenders, I am willing to look past whatever message she may be promoting.
me to

God damn it. I was hoping she wouldn't apologise. This world really sucks. Too many crybabies.

*skips over to Instagram*
But that is Sarah , upset because she upset somebody , isn't that why we love her , is that not why she is such a great role model ,The hater's the blamer's and the weirdo's will always be there , I hope she will not change giving fans a almost daily peep into her life

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Kind of had the opposite experience. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm TALL and lanky. Both my parents are rather skinny too. Been called anorexic, or told that I should eat more many times thru the years. Not to mention all the derogatory remarks (middle school was just so much fun :rolleyes:). Now I'm not complaining, nor saying that I can eat whatever I want. No one can, not really, but I try to eat somewhat sensibly and exercise regularly. Now I'm really not a fan of body shaming, and I'm all for loving yourself for who you are. However, there is a serious health problem with obesity/processed/fast food/inactivity going on right now (especially in America). I think that that sometimes that gets forgotten in these online 'discussions'. How about we all be accepting/loving of who we each other are, but realizing that maybe, just maybe, we should strive for a healthier (regardless of weight) version of ourselves. Just saying. :oops:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
That's a great post. And unlike me, you managed to express your views without making rude remarks. Good job, sweetie. 😊

wickedwillow

Potential
Gosh, I so shouldn't have read this thread, there are too many mean comment complaining about the mean comments to smg...these things escalate so much.
Personally I wouldn't have thought anything of her comment, and I'm hoping it's one of those stories where a handful among hundreds of people leave a questionable reply and it is written up as a massive outcry against her.

On the fat shaming side, which is a horrible phrase, anyone interested in facts, the latest study I've read this year shows that being outside normal BMI on either the underweight or overweight side is linked to early death. There have been credited studies that has seen a correlation between being overweight and surviving dangerous operations, although the researchers didn't have any reason why a larger person should have a better recovery chance than a smaller person. For women specifically having fat on your thighs has been shown to help against heart disease. A possibly depressing study has found that losing weight is actually bad for you and weakens your organs, especially for people whose weights yo-yos. Though a critique of a lot of studies is that often everyone out side normal BMI are lumped together as under or over whereas there would be suspected to be differences between someone who is 1 stone out compared to someone who is 5 stone out.
All being said eating a plant based diet, not smoking, exercising and maintaining a healthy weight are the best controls we have over our health. But there are so many factors (possibly) outside our control such as genetics, where we live, our occupation etc, the biggest one in the west which effects early mortality and general healthiness incidentally being how rich you are. So why anyone feels they have a right to judge a stranger's weight and justify it with concerns about their health is beyond me.
Anyway sorry about the long post, I just see so much fat hating all over the web and it made me sad to see it here too.

Black Thorn
Gosh, I so shouldn't have read this thread, there are too many mean comment complaining about the mean comments to smg...these things escalate so much...I just see so much fat hating all over the web and it made me sad to see it here too.
Yes, that got out of hand a bit. I absolutely believe in live and let live, but I will admit that I made some unnecessarily rude remarks. After reading all the skinny-shaming comments on Sarah's Instagram, I basically grew horns and retaliated; but I shouldn't have let it carry over to this site. That was a mistake, and I apologize.

Skinny-shaming is just as bad as fat-shaming. I couldn't believe what some of those women were saying to Sarah...it just set me off. Throughout the years, I've worked terribly hard to be thin and toned. It's torturous work, almost masochistic in nature. Being hungry and cold all the time, seeing fast food commercials and wanting to cry...but that's a choice, a sacrifice made to get the desired result. So, when I see a bunch of women verbally attack someone who is worked her ass off to be thin, I get a bit...grouchy. Yes, fat-shaming is mean, but so is skinny-shaming. Remarks like, "She needs a meal," or "She looks really hungry," are unnecessary and just plain rude. Yet, two wrongs don't make a right, and again, I'm really sorry if some of my remarks bothered you. :(

Last edited:

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm surprised BMI is still used. This sums up why:

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus

I just thought I'd share of something ironic that happened well before social media. When I was 14 a coach decided to weigh us according to BMI. Only myself and another girl "passed." And yet the girl who passed was being treated for anorexia while I was under doctor's orders to gain weight.

Having shamed all those other girls, most of whom weren't even fat by my standards (plenty of female athletes are bigger than some of them), I wonder if that coach then took evil joy in how the rest of the girls turned on us, one being treated for anorexia and me with my own troubles. While the other girls didn't outright attack us, they left no doubt to how much they hated us.

The ironic bit is that they were hating us for being TOO THIN because they hated fat. Go figure. (ETA: Maybe that IS related to what happened to SMG more than I thought?)

As for the coach herself, perhaps I give her intelligence too much credit (and she was instead a well meaning idiot), but I think she was deliberately evil to all of us. In retrospect, I wished I'd thought to loudly demand SHE be weighed, because there's not a doubt in my mind that she'd have "failed" the BMI standards as well.

'Course that has little to do with either SMG or obesity (something schools contribute strongly to for historical reasons I consider interesting that are adapting to changing times too slowly), just the mention of BMI reminded me of that irony.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Yes Skinny shaming exist also, Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Marsters get treated bad by some people because people see them as skinny and say that they have to go eat a meal even on BB. I'm myself skinny like Sarah & James and there's nothing wrong with that. Skinny shaming SUCKS like fat shaming.

BuffyBot22

Scooby
okay if this is real I am so tired, of everyone complaining about every thing gosh r generation is really stupid you need to stop getting offended over every little thing.
I'm also really tired of this generation sucks/is so sensitive/ is snowflakes.
Honestly, a lot of people I see who get very offended on social media are well over the age of 45.
Every generation does it.
Now there is just social media to exploit everyone's sensitivities.

Anyways as far as SMG's caption, good for her. She is making a light hearted joke and trying to not over-eat on the Holidays. Hell maybe I should do this next year so I can remind myself to not eat 4 Thanksgiving meals lol. (I have a lot of family dinners I have to attend).

wickedwillow

Potential
Skinny-shaming is just as bad as fat-shaming.
Thanks for replying, social media can be so toxic sometimes. I don't know why people took offense at smg's innocuous comment and can totally see how you could get caught up and get cross with them. I clicked on the article worried that she'd actually said something really horrible about fat people when really she was just commenting on herself.
And yes, the whole shaming thing can work as a universal prejudice,can't it? Do you think it stems from all the clickbaity kind of articles that tear totally gorgeous women's appearance apart on tiny things like their nail varnish is the wrong colour for their dress and encourages us all to be always judging and being critical of each other?
i'm afraid I've definitely done it without even really thinking about it. I've had anorexic friends in the past and I think because of that have been guilty of looking at skinny strangers and hoping that they're naturally thin or are working on their fitness and not having to starve themselves to meet an ideal image. But obviously anyone who has any sort of body issues or eating insecurities are not going to be helped by stranger's commenting on their body, and anyone who is happy with how they are might start developing insecurities if they see malicious comments thrown at people with their body shape. We all need to be a lot more huggy and supporting of each other :D

Black Thorn
Do you think it stems from all the clickbaity kind of articles that tear totally gorgeous women's appearance apart on tiny things like their nail varnish is the wrong colour for their dress and encourages us all to be always judging and being critical of each other?
i'm afraid I've definitely done it without even really thinking about it. I've had anorexic friends in the past and I think because of that have been guilty of looking at skinny strangers and hoping that they're naturally thin or are working on their fitness and not having to starve themselves to meet an ideal image. But obviously anyone who has any sort of body issues or eating insecurities are not going to be helped by stranger's commenting on their body, and anyone who is happy with how they are might start developing insecurities if they see malicious comments thrown at people with their body shape. We all need to be a lot more huggy and supporting of each other :D
I believe that a lot of women are insecure because of this celebrity-driven world we live in. Plastic surgery, airbrushed magazine covers, photoshop, hair extensions, personal trainers...looking "pefect" is a rather unattainable goal for a normal person who isn't wealthy. I mean, you can either accept yourself, or bite the bullet and do everything possible to mold yourself into how you want to look. Your choice, people.

But I think this current climate of "diversity" and "acceptance" is going overboard...plus, it's rather one-sided. It seems to be okay if someone says a slender celebrity is "sending the wrong message." But God forbid if anyone says the same thing about a heavier person.

Seriously, I've found the mind is incredible...when you make up your mind to change something, it will happen. (Unless you're Sineyan or Spuffy, that is. Hehehe!) It just takes determination and focus. As for the click baits articles you referred to, yes, they definitely play a role in many forms of shaming and criticism. However, if you're strong-minded and don't follow the herd, that kind of crap won't appeal to you in the first place.

Last edited:

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Gosh, I so shouldn't have read this thread, there are too many mean comment complaining about the mean comments to smg...these things escalate so much.
Was there anything in particular within this thread that you thought was mean?

wickedwillow
wickedwillow
I haven't read back over, but the general hate towards overweight people with disparaging terms like lard ass used, the underlying assumptions that fat people are lazy, lack willpower and are therefore lesser than exercising thin people etc
Top Bottom