• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

SMG accused of being 'fatphobic'

CharlieGunn1

Ready for battle...
Can we all agree that when it comes to weight, people are allowed to be as harsh, or kind to themselves as they wish. SMG was clearly not talking about others when it came to their body size. She is allowed to remain the weight she wishes, and if that is interpreted as body shaming, then the issue is the person who is making her comments about themselves.

Seriously, people need to stop making other peoples commentary on their own lives as somehow judgement or phobia's of others.

If i joke about laying of the calories, and getting into the gym, thats my joke... about me. You don't get to offended by a joke that was not about or targeted at you.

The world would be a better place if people don't go looking for things that offend their sensibilities, that have literally nothing to do with them.

There are real problems, and SMG's desire to remain a certain weight, or look a certain way is not one of them.

Black Thorn
Can we all agree that when it comes to weight, people are allowed to be as harsh, or kind to themselves as they wish. SMG was clearly not talking about others when it came to their body size. She is allowed to remain the weight she wishes, and if that is interpreted as body shaming, then the issue is the person who is making her comments about themselves.

Seriously, people need to stop making other peoples commentary on their own lives as somehow judgement or phobia's of others.

If i joke about laying of the calories, and getting into the gym, thats my joke... about me. You don't get to offended by a joke that was not about or targeted at you.

The world would be a better place if people don't go looking for things that offend their sensibilities, that have literally nothing to do with them.

There are real problems, and SMG's desire to remain a certain weight, or look a certain way is not one of them.
This is absolutely true. But unfortunately, social media sometimes causes a mob mentality amongst the weaker-minded. It's really unbelievable that people feel justified in criticisin and/or insulting someone like they did with Sarah. It was definitely a mob kind of thing, and it enraged me. Who are they to demand ANYTHING from her? "You're fat-shaming," or "What kind of example are you setting for young girls?!" or even, "You need to delete this post immediately!" Jesus.

One of my worst triggers is witnessing a bunch of idiots gang up on someone. This relatively new trend of 'political correctness warriors' policing the Internet is beyond annoying. (These people are now taking Jensen Ackles to task because he DARED to post something nice about former President Bush)

The only positive thing here is that they've given me a valid excuse to troll them. It's quite exhilarating. In fact, its like Christmas arrived early for me. 😃 Oh crap, I'm getting all teary-eyed now! I'm like, "Oh my God, really? You're actually giving me a reason to verbally decimate you?! This is so special...I can hardly believe it. Thank you!" *dramatic sobbing* *wipes away tears*

😈

K
katmobile
I'm not sure it's entirely about weakness. Sometimes if you're used to being attacked you get paranoid and go on the attack. Sarah meant no harm, people over reacted, she qualified

NeonSlayer

Potential
I was doing reasonably well this week at dieting (trying to go back to my old size 2-4 weight) but then I saw red velvet cake and now I think I've put myself behind several days.

I was down 7.6 lbs in 1 week.

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
I know I'm kind of...late to the party, but I do have something that I think needs to be said. I am a person who has been recovering from a life threatening eating disorder. I have struggled with anorexia nervosa my whole life, and this seems like the kind of fuel that I used to keep me going. Now I'm not saying that this is what it was for SMG, I know nothing about her personal struggles, I'm just saying that to people who have almost died because they wanted to have the perfect body, it's not a very positive message. If someone wants to lose weight, then I'm find with that. But I don't think that you should promote it to girls like I used to be. Because trust me, this was the kind of thing that would have sent me further off the deep end.

I'm sorry for that rant. Please don't attack me, this is only an opinion. I don't think SMG deserves hate for this post. I just think that I see where criticism might come from, and the effect statements like this might have.

Black Thorn
I know I'm kind of...late to the party, but I do have something that I think needs to be said. I am a person who has been recovering from a life threatening eating disorder. I have struggled with anorexia nervosa my whole life, and this seems like the kind of fuel that I used to keep me going. Now I'm not saying that this is what it was for SMG, I know nothing about her personal struggles, I'm just saying that to people who have almost died because they wanted to have the perfect body, it's not a very positive message. If someone wants to lose weight, then I'm find with that. But I don't think that you should promote it to girls like I used to be. Because trust me, this was the kind of thing that would have sent me further off the deep end.

I'm sorry for that rant. Please don't attack me, this is only an opinion. I don't think SMG deserves hate for this post. I just think that I see where criticism might come from, and the effect statements like this might have.
I've struggled with anorexia as well, for many years. I see your point, but also, I don't think it's a celebrity's job to worry about millions of people they don't know. Know what I mean? I guess what I'm saying is, someone like Sarah (or anyone) should be able to proudly post a skinny pic of herself if she's proud of it.

We both know how much work and suffering it takes to be thin. Yes, it can kill us if we take it too far...and some of us DO die. But we can't blame others for that.

When we stop eating and exercise until we drop, it's our choice. You get what I'm saying? It totally sucks when we're trapped in that cycle of starving ourselves, immediately jumping on the scale if we eat a grape, and crying if we can't see our ribs. But we can't blame others for our condition. Know what I mean?

I wish you all the best. And hey, we made it! We're still alive, at least.
:)

Name the Stars
Name the Stars
Thank you for the kind response

KatrinaL

"I'm not strong. I'm not an Amazon. I'm just me."
I've struggled with anorexia as well, for many years. I see your point, but also, I don't think it's a celebrity's job to worry about millions of people they don't know. Know what I mean? I guess what I'm saying is, someone like Sarah (or anyone) should be able to proudly post a skinny pic of herself if she's proud of it.
Sorry to hear about the anorexia, but amen to what you said!

It just feels that nowadays, you have to apologize if you eat, and you have to apologize if you don't eat: "Just a salad?" or "Are you really gonna have another quesadilla?" Well, hell, yeah. Today I want my greens. And tomorrow, I want my quesadillas with extra queso. Deal with it.

Annie Hall
Annie Hall
People policing what you eat and what you don't eat are the worst. My life, my choices. (rolling eyes)
Black Thorn
Sorry to hear about the anorexia, but amen to what you said!

It just feels that nowadays, you have to apologize if you eat, and you have to apologize if you don't eat: "Just a salad?" or "Are you really gonna have another quesadilla?" Well, hell, yeah. Today I want my greens. And tomorrow, I want my quesadillas with extra queso. Deal with it.
My weight fluctuates so much, it's insane. But that's okay. I must have cheese in my life! And butter. Butter is like, essential. And my God, WHO wants a yolk-less omelette?! Gross. The yolk IS the egg. 😅

And anybody who tries to feed me a veggie burger will be killed on sight. Must. Have. Real. Meat. (My mind just turned that dirty, but let's pretend it didn't. Hehehe)

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
This is kinda weird and random, especially since this thread is so old, but this just popped into my head. I don't find her caption about hanging pictures of thin SMG all over her house to prevent her from OVEREATING offensive. However, it would have been more worrying if she had said that she was hanging pictures of her skinny self all over her house to prevent her from EATING. Just imagine that post, but instead of overeat, the word eat is inserted. Overeating isn't usually a positive thing, and it's different than eating a lot. Overeating is eating more than you need. A lot of people seemed to have interpreted her post as an endorsement of undereating or not eating period.

Top Bottom