• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

SMG not interested in appearing in reboot

Stanger406

Potential
This is a bummer to hear :/ I was hoping with SMG doing the Olay commercial, As I Lie, and having been interested in returning to Cruel Intentions as a tv series (even shooting the pilot) meant she'd be open to making another appearance as Buffy. It seemed like for a while after the series she dodged talking about Buffy, but over the last few years has been much more openly grateful for the series and fans. Never say never, but at this point it looks like chances aren't good https://amp-businessinsider-com.cdn...michelle-gellar-not-doing-buffy-reboot-2019-2

Echo126

Townie
Yea I heard about that. I'm a bit bummed too. But maybe she has her reasons? Still, it sucks but it'll be ok. I'm sure they can make it work somehow :)

Stanger406

Potential
I should specify that I'm mostly interested in her making an appearance as Buffy if it's a continued storyline. If it's a retelling, then it would matter less to me to see her on the show as a new character.

Yeah - I'd hate to SMG in a show where somebody else was pretending to be Buffy.

If it's a continuation then the occasional original cast member reprising their role for very brief appearance would be OK ... though you wouldn't want to start with SMG. I'd expect them to start at around Andrew level and work their way up if the show took off. Maybe have Michelle Trachtenberg as a recurring watcher - like Quentin Travers but not evil.

But if they're going to pretend that this new slayer is Buffy - I don't want the real cast - especially not the real Buffy - anywhere near it.

katmobile

Scooby
I think it should stand on its own and whilst I wouldn't mind a cameo I don't think it's a bad thing. There are a lot of characters they could play with but they should be used sparingly.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'm glad she isn't going to appear in the reboot.
I'm glad she's not one of those celebs that either a- do anything for a paycheck or b- so hung up on past success of a role can't move past it. Her not appearing or, seemingly, having anything to do with it will further help to isolate new Buffy from old Buffy. It might make it easier for some fans to draw a distinction.

brinkster130
brinkster130
Yes, I totally agree.

ifeveristoday

Townie
She's already expressed her support of the reboot happening in the first place. Honestly I don't blame her for being considered stand-offish in the early days of Buffy fandom - she was the youngest member of the cast and had a lot of stuff to do. Also I never got how being described as professional meant she was cold or ungrateful - just because she didn't do cons? I've been to cons and meet ups with some of the BtVS cast and while most of them are fun, some 'fans' were super entitled and invasive.
It's been two decades since her Buffy, she's done other things since. The only member of the cast that I've read that had any enthusiasm about making an appearance in the reboot is James. There's plenty of other ways to reference OG Buffy without having SMG physically appear.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I feel like when SMG is 90 years old there is gonna be a fan out there who knocks on her door and yells at her for not appearing in a Sunnydale high spaceship mars alternate universe reboot in a CGI aged down version of herself. And then will also for good measure knock her off her crutches for not wishing JM a happy birthday on whatever Twitter alternative exists by then.

ifeveristoday
ifeveristoday
I love Buffy and the show with all my heart, but I never felt like the actors owed anything to me after it was done. Every story has an ending. Unless it's Supernatural. That show will still be on when SMG is 90 and we're all brains in jars.
DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
JM would be over 100 if he was still around for SMG to wish him Happy Birthday when she was 90.

Mylie

Scooby
I'm more than okay with this. Buffy's ending on BtVS was perfect so I'd rather keep that image in my head as her last appearance in the universe.

The comics are a different medium and SMG will always be Buffy for me so I find it easier to follow them without being too invested. They're kind of semi-canon to me so I don't take them seriously enough for them to ruin the ending for me.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
People move on from their past. It happens all the time; it makes sense to me. Fans can be unreasonable, because they have this all-consuming love of something that the actress might not actually share with them (to that degree) and they expect the actor/actress to be as in love with it as them, and the fans expect them to hold on to the past and live in it they way they do, etc. Also, a lot of actors/actresses don't like doing these kinds of things because they don't want to be constantly defined by an old role over and against their other output. She might not say that explicitly (possibly for the feelings of fans) but she might be tired of the role defining her so totally. She moved on. More power to her.

Kratos

Scooby
I’m not bothered that SMG isn’t appearing in the reboot. I never expected her to. I agree with what she said in the article.

So the reboot is going to take place 15 years after the original with a new slayer. Interesting.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Maybe the new slayer could be Anne's daughter.

Angel6

Potential
Hmmm, If JM really does want to do it maybe he will reprise his role and they could fairly easily explain away his age and say he had been Shanshued, and that 'it turns out Angel didn't need to be human to get the girl' or something along those lines. Would keep Angel/ Bangel fans happy because its implied Angel gets a happy ending, and Spike fans happy because he shanshu's and is in the new show.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
He might not appear as Spike though but as some other character.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Was anyone really expecting her to? Her hatred for the long hours and physical conditioning are well known, and she clearly doesn't need the money. If she appeared, at all, it was going to be a brief one shot pass the torch moment, or a really big crossover.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah I'm cool either way. I think a cameo could have worked if done right. But its not needed and I can respect her not wanting to do it. I think in one way it shows that she cares about the legacy she left in the original series. She also sees that this should be a chance for someone else to make their mark as the Slayer.

Top Bottom