• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

So Anya Stays... But Oz goes?

FeministMedia

Townie
So Anya gets to stay, when she needs to find herself. But Oz had to go, when he needed to find himself.
Kind of convenient how the feminist gets to stay, and the male just has to go.

Black Thorn
Yeah, that really wasn't what was going on.
Seth said that all his character did was agree with Buffy, he thought it was better for his character and for himself.
Also he already hurt Willow, why would he want to stay if he was hurting someone he loved especially as his character is particularly kind?
Anya was finding out herself as a human and she hadn't exactly hurt those she loved so it wouldn't have main a difference.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I thought staying was stupid for her. She no longer needed the money and it surely interfered with her purpose. Still, all things considered, it's a kind of stupidity I can accept, unlike a lot of other stupidity in season 7.

Oz leaving made a lot of sense to me.

Now if talking about the writers themselves, that's a different matter. Don't think it had anything to do with gender, though.

And just for the record, I don't really consider Anya a feminist (wedding vows and working outside the home aside). Avenging wronged women, especially those women who live conventional lifestyles (typically cheated on as opposed to passed over for promotion, for example) is not enough to make one a feminist. Even plenty of ultra-conservatives (especially male ones) who believe adult women are to be barefoot and pregnant might also feel inclined to stand up for a woman who had been so wronged, calling such cheaters and people who abandon their wives and all that all sorts of names. Even in the 80s, the Republican backlash against feminism of the 70s going strong, the Republican party voted overwhelmingly to impose things like child support on men who left their wives (granted, this wasn't strictly based on compassion for a suddenly single mother, but then neither were vengeance demons, especially one working for a man who had no thought of replacing that man or going off on their own as far as we get to see).

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
That was all about the choices of the cast, not the characters. Seth Green was the hottest actor in young Hollywood at the time. Emma, on the other hand, had just turned 30, was nearing the end of her most lucrative role, and while she was interested in moving on, wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
Why are you calling Anya "the feminist"? Is Anya a feminist?

And is Oz not a feminist? He has so many scenes (with Devon, Larry and Xander) where another boy asks him to engage in some sexual objectification and he always refuses to participate. He is also very supportive of Willow. Oz may be the most progressive person in the group.

Anya's idea of what it is to be a woman feels very old fashioned, and she has probably gotten most her ideas from watching sitcoms. There's never any question who has the responsibility of being the provider in her relationship with Xander. And in "Selfless," she realises that she has spent her entire very-long life letting men define her.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
So Anya gets to stay, when she needs to find herself. But Oz had to go, when he needed to find himself.
Kind of convenient how the feminist gets to stay, and the male just has to go.
I heard that Seth Green got another role he wanted and there was a conflict, and they wrote him off Buffy. I don't think it had anything to do with him being a man and Willow being a woman.

Top Bottom