• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

So... does anyone have anything to say about Xander and Dawn having a baby?

S Rou

Potential
So... does anyone have anything to say about Xander and Dawn having a baby?
I don't think Anya would like this....

Last edited by a moderator:

Grace

Evil Olive
Black Thorn
I'm not too fond of them as a couple seeing as they knew each other when one was 10 and the other was 16 :oops:
I grew up in a small town, so I know plenty of couples like this. It’s not like they started dating when Dawn was 10.

I really enjoy Xander and Dawn as a couple in the comics, and I love that they seem happy.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Right after I post, I see someone summed up what I did in 3 sentences...save that I don't read the comics.
Other than idle curiosity of any supernatural qualities of the babe, not much. And I'm wondering, is Dawn "real" now? That is, if she dies then does the baby (or who she grows into) fade from this reality, and all memory of her?

Since this was posted in the Xander forum I presume this is actually asking about Xander having sex he knew from back when she was a child. Even if I took the comics seriously, I wouldn't care. He knew her then, and he knows her now, presumably a kick-ass woman both smart and resilient, courageous and...what's the word? Extraordinary. He's always liked women like that. It would be a huge leap in my mind to think Xander is just imaging Dawn when she was 10 every time he was with her, and if Xander really was perving out like that, then surely Dawn and/or the supernatural friends of Dawn realize it given how perceptive they have to be (plus psychic senses some have).

Guess it's worth mentioning that the reason I consider the sexual consent of minors (with adults) to be invalid is for the same reason I consider their signature on a contract to work for a sweat shop or join the military (even at an older age) to be invalid. They're simply too vulnerable to the tricks and manipulations of adults (though raising them in a bubble as so many do only exacerbates that). That's generally speaking, of course, but as that's the way to bet, I support the prohibition against giving consent (and I say that wishing I had power over myself at age 14, and still believe I'd have made better decisions for myself in a court of law than my own mother).

Puritanism, or looking for a reason to declare a guy a predator, just doesn't factor in for me here in any way since Dawn is of age, and furthermore, Xander never showed any interest in her in that way during the TV series. I'm just glad that, going by Anya, Dawn has a skilled lover (told you I'm not a Puritan) who, I'm sure, genuinely loves her, will provide for her (and not be threatened should Dawn end up making more money than him), and would die protecting her.

I don't like the Dawn/Xander pairing because I don't read the comics so all I see is this and this.

I'm glad you pointed that out because that did not occur to me. I can understand it.

As for me, I've seen young friends grow into middle-aged (30s) people like me, others age, and my grandmother of today in her 70s looks a lot different (and more frail) than she did when she was raising me as a child. I've seen so many others grow and change literally and metaphorically. I've helped raise 2 kids (still am helping to raise one now in high school), and a girl whose 12th birthday I arranged for is now in college.

On top of that I have a thing for sagas, and all the drafts for stories I plan to finish (when I can finally stop brutally rewriting them) will follow some from childhood to older ages (at least in outline form). They change emotionally and mentally (and ideologically, spiritually, etc) as they do physically. Between that and real life, my brain is trained to not see people as static.

Sometimes I dream of people as they were when I was a child, but I know that's not them now. If I haven't seen them since I was a child I'm often very curious what they look like today and what kind of people they have become. And I sometimes dream of the woman in college as being a girl again (just as I can dream of myself being a child). Heck, an old, fat cat of mine often appears as she was younger in my dreams, but upon awakening I know she's much older now, and not that thin.

Therefore it's natural to me to assume Xander and Dawn are both much older, and hopefully wiser people who would cringe remembering their youth. Naturally, it seems the default, since my mind automatically does it then I wrongly assumed other minds were doing it as well simply because people not doing that didn't even occur to me. So thanks. :)

S Rou

Potential
I see how my wording is misleading but I was not referring to it being creepy that she is so much younger than him... I just think their pairing is so weird...

And I feel so bad for Anya, wherever she is now (I hope in heaven)... I thought it was pretty much established that Anya was supposed to be xander's one and only like how tara is Willow's.

Last edited:
thrasherpix
thrasherpix
At least for me, it's not so much the wording as your placing it in Xander's forum, rather than a miscellaneous or ship forum, and that implies to me that this is about Xander specifically rather than Xawn (or Dander, whatever).

Mrs Gordo

We fight termites wherever they may roam!
Black Thorn
I was weirded out in s8 but I got over it very quickly. Dawn feels much more adult in the comics. It works.

I think Anya would be happy for Xander. That he found a happy and healthy relationship and that he’s a daddy :). Or maybe she would be super bitter... either way I kinda don’t care haha.

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
I liked Anya and Xander together but they weren't a OTP
I don't like the Dawn/Xander pairing because I don't read the comics so all I see is this and this.

You're posting a S5 Dawn image with a S7 Xander image. The image next to Xander should be of Dawn in S7 where she started to look like a woman. The age difference between MT and NB is huge, however, the age difference between Dawn and Xander isn't.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Xander likes them Summers women. Fantasized about both Buffy and Joyce, so Dawn makes sense when you think about it.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think it's sweet. I mean for a while there, when I started reading the comics, I was hoping that Buffy and Xander would become a thing, but from the glimpses I saw then and have seen since I like this pair. They seem pretty solid and, mostly judging from the season 7 "extraordinary" speech, I think they have a connection and understanding for each other that's sometimes underrated or isn't noticed.

I don't believe Xander was ever genuine in his proposal to Anya (aware of it or not, I do think he proposed because he thought the world was going to end) so I can see why the vision in Hell's Bells about their future had such an effect on him. He loved Anya but I'm not sure he could see himself married to her in a real way. Xander has always felt more down-to-earth romantically speaking, like the guy who does want to settle down and have kids and an uncomplicated life.

Obviously, uncomplicated isn't a thing in the Buffyverse what with the world ending every other day, but the settling down and having a safe place to get back to at the end of each day seems to fit his character (more so than say Buffy and Willow). So basically I think it's great that he and Dawn have a family now. As he obviously didn't lust after her when she was a kid, I don't see a problem with the age difference.

As for Anya, who cares what she thinks? She and Xander have been broken up for a loooong time. :p Also, isn't she dead?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I think that Dander is probably one of the few redeeming things about the comics.
As to the specifics of their relationship Dawn had begun to...um, flower into womanhood (?) by S7 and everyone noticed (Xander and Willow unknowingly ogled her on the dance floor), so I think its entirely permissible that Xander would eventually find her appealing. MT is gorgeous, seeing women as perpetually innocent and childlike is something that society needs to get over.

But physicality aside what sells me on Dander are Xander's conversation to Dawn at the end of 'Potential' and Dawn's heartfelt reaction to Xander getting seriously injured (and hugging him after he comes out of the hospital). That shows that Xander truly 'sees' Dawn for the woman she's becoming and that Dawn's 'first crush' is becoming a deeper affection.
So because of the character moments I don't really care about the logistics of the actors ages. *shrug*

Xander likes them Summers women. Fantasized about both Buffy and Joyce, so Dawn makes sense when you think about it.
That makes sense, Dawn is the 'attainable' version of Buffy, the one without the super-powers and vampire fetish. Okay, since Dawn did crush on both Angel and Spike she clearly had a lil' fetish, but thankfully she got over it. Otherwise weird.

Sineya
I grew up in a small town, so I know plenty of couples like this. It’s not like they started dating when Dawn was 10.

I really enjoy Xander and Dawn as a couple in the comics, and I love that they seem happy.
It's just kind of weird that Xander was a big brother figure and watched Dawn grow up but then one day started liking her sexually :oops: how does he get past the memories of Dawn young.

Sineya
During a lot of history, people were born, raised, married, worked and lived in small towns and in mediaeval times, a person would typically meet no more than a hundred people during a lifetime. In a lot of these cases, some guy would have known his future wife all of her life even if there was a substantial age difference and there was not much to change that because they both lived at the shallow end of the dating pool. And as you get older, the difference between one year and another gets less. Dander appears to be one relationship built on mutual respect so this is one that I can ship.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I like Xander and Dawn together, they make so much sense and are very compatible as adults. And if any couple is gonna have a baby than it would make sense for it to be them!

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
This is part of the reason I'm not crazy about the pair. It seems almost like Dawn was the last option or only one who would give him a shot. I've always wondered if she somehow feels like he settled for her.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Except S8: Xander DID pick Dawn over Buffy. Buffy was all 'what about me?' and Xander was like 'bitch, please' (except not). He didn't settle, he chose. You could argue that he 'settled' for Cordelia way back when but that was a long time ago and feelings change.

Buffy was the one that settled because she has the abandonment issues and is 'afraid of being alone' until she 'realizes that it doesn't work' and breaks up, apparently.

This is part of the reason I'm not crazy about the pair. It seems almost like Dawn was the last option or only one who would give him a shot. I've always wondered if she somehow feels like he settled for her.
Except Xander chose Dawn over Buffy in S8. Buffy had confessed her feelings for him and he rejected her for Dawn in #31.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I remember the rejection just didn't remember it was because of Dawn specifically. For some reason I was remembering it more as Xander turning Buffy down because he was long over his crush on her.
Top Bottom