• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

So.. How do you feel about Corrida? (Bullfighting)

Are you for or against Corrida ?

• For !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Against !

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • No opinions !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Antho

Scooby
Just curious to know peoples’s opinions on this. Just remember we are here to discuss politely, no one judge no one.

Personally I’m against. I know that for many that is a question of culture, traditions, but I don’t understand the interest people do have for this « spectacle » and I think it’s barbarous.

Plasma

Not Lurking, Standing About. Whole different vibe.
Staff member
I thought at first that this was some new niche Cordelia ship….🤦‍♀️

I don’t really have any opinions on this, honestly. People race vehicles for sport and get into crashes, sometimes life-threatening ones, every Sunday in the United States. MMA fights where people are out to beat the opponent into submission are very popular. There’s plenty of sports out there that toe the line of doing dangerous activities for relatively/seemingly small benefits or purposes in the grand scheme of things. don’t think it would be fair for myself to judge without having a good understanding of their cultural beliefs and reasonings for such an activity.

That being said, definitely not saying you’re wrong for being against it! :) Just stating how I feel about myself and my thoughts.

Taake
Taake
Me too! On the Cordelia ship, lol

famicommander

Potential
I thought at first that this was some new niche Cordelia ship….🤦‍♀️

I don’t really have any opinions on this, honestly. People race vehicles for sport and get into crashes, sometimes life-threatening ones, every Sunday in the United States. MMA fights where people are out to beat the opponent into submission are very popular. There’s plenty of sports out there that toe the line of doing dangerous activities for relatively/seemingly small benefits or purposes in the grand scheme of things. don’t think it would be fair for myself to judge without having a good understanding of their cultural beliefs and reasonings for such an activity.

That being said, definitely not saying you’re wrong for being against it! :) Just stating how I feel about myself and my thoughts.
I believe the ethical issue with bullfighting isn't that it's dangerous to humans as is the case with boxing, MMA, racing, etc. Rather, the issue is that it essentially comes down to torturing animals for our entertainment. Similar arguments are made against rodeos and horse racing. With combat sports and auto racing (or even football, ice hockey, lacrosse) everyone involved in the danger presumably understands the risks and consents. Horse racing, bull fighting, and rodeos are about a half step from cockfighting or dogfighting.

Stake fodder

What about my me?
I had to look up what corrida was! I agree with @Antho and @famicommander that it's barbaric. The animal is terrified and in pain. It's not even a fair fight, because the bull is stabbed with things ahead of time to weaken it. I saw on the news the other day that a bull leaped over the barrier into the crowd, and I was totally rooting for the bull.

However, as @famicommander points out, the US has horse racing and rodeos, which I also disapprove of, but if we have those, it's perhaps hypocritical to point fingers about bullfighting.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
I totally agree not only is it hypocritical to point fingers at bullfighting it's also bloody stupid, them bulls have got a real sod of a bite.

Stake fodder

What about my me?
It isn’t the same term for you Americans ? I thought Corrida was like an « universal » word 🤔
We say "bullfighting," but then the US has a lot of Spanish speakers here, and they probably say "corrida," so maybe I'm just out of the loop! Also, it's not legal here, so doesn't come up much. But I forgot that besides the other animal sports we have here, we also have bull-riding at rodeos. They don't die, but I'm sure it's scary for them, and they can be injured.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Not sure exactly, it's not something I've given a lot of thought to. As someone who unashamedly eats meat (and a lot of factory farms are brutal, more inspiration for the Master in the Wishverse), I can't outright come out against it other than to say I hope the meat goes to feed the homeless.

What actually gets to me more is the lack of sportsmanship. If they're going to do it then it should be fair, which means the bull isn't incapacitated in any way. I don't see how bullfighters can get mad respect and glory when it's rigged anyway. Maybe it's symbolic of something important in their collective self-image so that losing would demoralize them greatly? (But if so, then why do so many Spaniards oppose the practice?)

I don't even understand why people do that. Hunting wolves for sport from a helicopter. Using auto-fire to shoot at ducks so that many rain down with no real aim and sink into the lake while the shooters cheer. "Hunting ranches" which will let you shoot an animal stuck in a cage (or declaw panthers to train hunting dogs with).

I'm not making a moral statement here (though I do think the ethics are horrible), but that I don't see what they get out of it unless they're just into cruelty against helpless animals as opposed to genuine sport hunting.

I'd think it would make them feel inadequate. There is little danger (or even much of a chance of failure), it doesn't develop resolve and character and self-esteem as it was practically handed to you rather than earning it.

Or on a lesser note, things like paying Sherpas to essentially carry wealthy tourists up the Himilayas rather than going through the effort to climb it yourself (I actually laughed and had no sympathy for tourists abandoned on the mountain by their guides as the tourists were too annoying and whining despite that they did almost nothing, coddled like toddlers by their guide, I think because their government makes the guides do so in order to bring in tourist dollars). Same as the above pseudo-hunting examples (and bullfighting), I don't see the point as it's fake.

In some cases even others know it (from bullfights to climbing Everest, the last one was at least one time advertised). Even when you can lie about how it was all you against unbridled nature you'd know you're a fake deep down, which I think would make you feel worse instead of better every time you saw your trophy or pictures. Is the presumed status of your deception worth it? It boggles my mind. (At least a fake degree or photoshopping a pic to show you working with celebrities can get you a high paying job, but not fake accomplishments in survival and hunting.)

Onto Spain's bullfighting specifically...other than their rigging the fights that I don't care for, I just saw that plenty of territories in Spain have tried to outlaw it, but the federal government overruled it...as far as I can tell because there's too much money (thus taxes and bribes) in it.

If Catalonia wants to say "not this sport in our backyard even if it costs us tourist business" then the feds should focus on areas that will allow it. I don't see how banning the torture and killing of 4 bulls a year would oppress anyone or cause serious harm to the nation (especially when I'm sure they can find alternative sources of revenue). I can see why the government would want to keep it (typical political corruption), but not how they could justify it, save to those who are also enriched by it significantly (who don't need to be convinced).

famicommander

Potential
I think there's a pretty big difference between eating meat/wearing animal products versus watching animals be tortured for fun. Only in very recent history has it even been possible for human civilization to exist without eating animals and wearing leather, fur, etc. Food and clothing are basic necessities. Sport is decidedly not.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Against.
There's a french song about it "Francis Cabrel - La Corrida", it always gave me chills. I found a video of this famous french song with english subtitles if you don't speak/understand french & want to check it out.

Last edited:
Antho
Antho
That song 😀😀

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Definitely read that as Cordelia... but it's bullfighting.

Against obviously. Don't know why they need to involve a bull. No reason they can't get dressed up and run around stabbing each other.

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
No an animal is only an animal. Humans are too much valuable & above all.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Do I need to change the title ? There are so many people thaT are confused

Maybe put (Bullfighting) after Corrida. As a kind of purist I would stick to call it the original term but would imply/add the english term/name.

nightshade
nightshade
Went with your suggestion
Antho
Antho
Thanks you

Nix

🤪
Sineya
I think its disgusting. It's not like the animal can say if they want to participate and be tortured.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
What's that, you don't understand bull? How do you converse with Anyanka Bunny Slayer then?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I just remembered this! I loved this book as a small child, read it at the library all the time. I see the flower loving bull has made appearances in comics and even had a movie made about him (and I also just learned it was first published a about 50 years before I found it in the library!). The wiki page had a lot of detail, so surely I'm not the only one who has read this.

It's about a bull who refuses to fight because he loves flowers. This makes the bullfighters cry and he's sent back to the pasture. How about a sequel on all the people fired (and maybe worse in any gambling circuit) because it came to that? :p

janas

Bangel in the soul
Against obviously. However in Spain the bullfight attracts many tourists and the bullfighters are hailed as heroes. In Italy we call it Corrida and I immediately understood the meaning of the question 🙂

Antho
Antho
I’m glad someone knows that word Corrida 😂😂

Altoz

Potential
Against. It is a blatant act of animal cruelty and even Sonora. Guerrero, Coahuila and Quintana Roo states in Mexico have banned it, as have Galicia. the Canary Islands, Puerto Rico, Panama and Nicaragua. In Spain, Mallorca and Catalonia have tried to ban the practice, but were overruled by the Constitutional Court. On the other hand, the Indian Supreme Court has repeatedly banned the practice, although the bull-baiting practice of jallikattu has been intermittently prohibited and decriminalised in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The Animal Welfare Board of India condemns the practice. It's a subject of contention and conflict between federal courts and state legislatures there. There have been repeated attempts to ban the practice even in its relative heartlands, Spain and Portugal, over the last decade. Incidentally, this is an excellent crossnational and historical book on the subject: Amazon.com

Altoz

Potential
Pedro Almodovar's movie Matador deals with the vexed subject in question. As with all of the Spanish director's other films, it's a work of lush eroticism and desire. You might like it if you're into cute bullfighters- some of which are women these days, as well.

burrunjor
burrunjor
You know I love amazons and women who kick ass like Gina Carano, but I don't think that even I would be attracted to someone because they are a bull fighter. To me it's just torture, which is only sexy in a fictional female villain like Alti LOL.
Top Bottom