• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Social Media

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
BeReal keeps popping up in news articles lately, but do alternative social media platforms really work. I guess Tiktok is the most recent one to really made it big, and before that Snapchat. But others have come and gone, Parler for example.
Do you use or have used any of the smaller ones?
What would encourage you to use something else, or do you just keep away from social media?

I have several accounts, Facebook Twitter, Instagram, but rarely actually use them, I just waste time scrolling instead.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

✨ Of The Abyss ✨
Black Thorn
I've got Facebook, Instagram, Twitter...and I STILL have Myspace, even though it's totally different from how it used to be.

I refuse to join Tiktok. It LOOKS annoying. 😅

Plasma

Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! ❤️
Staff member
In fairness, TikTok just replaced Vine. That platform already had a huge following, but when it was shut down TikTok just filled the void.

I don’t even bother with social media. I have no use for it, and everything I see coming out of it is just abysmal. As crazy as it sounds, it really does feel partly responsible for societal degradation. Being a human being to another person has been replaced by trying to one up each other with “ratios” or crappy jokes

I should probably also say that alternative options like Parler are always going to fail relatively quickly. The big names of social media are already well established in most people’s minds, so they’ll just go to what they know. Additionally the lack of rules on smaller places means that you get the worst of the worst, so it just becomes flooded with toxic runoff from bigger sites.

Cohen
Cohen
What’s a ratio? I mean I know the math term… but I don’t think we’re talking statistics?

Kratos

Scooby
I’ve never had an interest in Snapchat or Tiktok. And never heard of the other ones lol.

I have Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts. I use the former two daily and the latter rarely. I’m not much of a social media person, though I’m more of an extrovert in real life. I use social media mainly for keeping in touch with people and sharing photos.

Cohen

Hellhound
I have Insta/Facebook that are connected, because I have friends that are singularly on one or the other. I had a MySpace back in the day but I deleted it a few years ago when I taught middle school, and didn’t want my kids finding THAT. Lol. Still miss the personalized layouts..

I also have Twitter for my reality show commentary… and my podcast commentary… I have an addiction to Big Brother US, and am generally way too busy to watch the live feeds, so it keeps me in the know about what’s not being shown on the recap episodes.

I have TikTok, but I only follow two comedians. I had made some of my own videos during the pandemic but I deleted and deactivated that account when my students started trying to add/follow me…

And then I have Buffy-Boards. And that’s about it. I do “have” a Snapchat, but the notifications are turned off and I barely open it.

Oh also I have Reddit but just to lurk, and see what people are saying about different things. I don’t even think I’ve made a username other than the generic one given at login.

Plasma

Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes! ❤️
Staff member
@Cohen best I can put together, a ratio is when someone makes a comment or post, but a subcommenter on that gets more likes than the parent comment. Ex. You make a comment, but I make a comment replying to you and my comment gets more likes than yours.

It seems to be some sort of “own” on the original commenter, but it’s just dumb. The idea is that the original commenter posted something incorrect or unpopular, but most of the time it’s just people saying “get ratio’d” as opposed to posting something that is actually a popular rebuttal or something that actually makes sense.

Stake fodder
Stake fodder
Thanks for the explanation!

Cohen

Hellhound
@Cohen best I can put together, a ratio is when someone makes a comment or post, but a subcommenter on that gets more likes than the parent comment. Ex. You make a comment, but I make a comment replying to you and my comment gets more likes than yours.

It seems to be some sort of “own” on the original commenter, but it’s just dumb. The idea is that the original commenter posted something incorrect or unpopular, but most of the time it’s just people saying “get ratio’d” as opposed to posting something that is actually a popular rebuttal or something that actually makes sense.
Lord, I’ll just stick to my true crime and reality show tweetspace… lol

Plasma
Plasma
Amen to that!

Stake fodder

What about my me?
I am only on this group, and I used to be on some Yahoo groups before they were shut down. I once had a LiveJournal account, if anyone even remembers that! I look at Twitter and Facebook sometimes, but I'm not a member of either.

The big names of social media are already well established in most people’s minds, so they’ll just go to what they know.
I wonder if that is true now. Formerly, social media sites went in and out of fad, but Facebook and Twitter especially now seem "too big to fail." However, I saw that a recent poll said that Gen Z is more likely to search for info on TikTok or Instagram than Google, so perhaps even the mighty can fall!

TheMaster666

Potential
I go on forums from time to time, namely this one and Doomworld.com. That's about it, unless Youtube counts. Amazingly, I have never had a Facebook or a Twitter account, and I was a kid in middle school when they first started. I did regrettably have a G+ for a while (anyone remember that?). I know, I walk the path of shame.

The worst ones, to my knowledge, are reddit and quora. These two sites are nothing but drivel from the bottom of the barrel of humanity, yet they'd keep somehow getting in #1 and #2 spots in my search results. Finally got an extension that works to hide them so they're gone now.
Post automatically merged:

I am only on this group, and I used to be on some Yahoo groups before they were shut down. I once had a LiveJournal account, if anyone even remembers that! I look at Twitter and Facebook sometimes, but I'm not a member of either.

I wonder if that is true now. Formerly, social media sites went in and out of fad, but Facebook and Twitter especially now seem "too big to fail." However, I saw that a recent poll said that Gen Z is more likely to search for info on TikTok or Instagram than Google, so perhaps even the mighty can fall!
To be fair, these days with the amount of data collection Google does and how it basically delivers 2 pages' worth of ads and "suggested" results from those who pay to be viewed, and then giving you 2 actual results (which are useless and irrelevant) before then showing you 5 questions you didn't ask for just because somebody else online did---it's not like you'd be getting much better results than searching whatever dumb app the kids use now.

Basically, what I'm saying is, google sucks now. They were the industry leader in the '00s - mid '10s. Now they're an evil monopoly that doesn't do the one service it is known for anymore, instead just exploitation and data extraction.

Last edited:

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I did also use Whatsapp and Pinterest recently. Forget about those.
Yeah I use those, but don't really see them as social media in the same way as others. I use Pinterest more to search for things and WhatsApp just to send messages, but I guess there is that status function on it.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
The only social media I use and have an interest in is Reddit, Instagram and Facebook.

I actually dislike Facebook now, and would leave it but I am an admin in a group I really care about. That's the only thing keeping me there.

Instagram is my favorite; I enjoy posting photos and seeing others photos.

Reddit is definitely the most useful and educational. I use it a lot and find it very helpful.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

✨ Of The Abyss ✨
Black Thorn
LlYeah I use those, but don't really see them as social media in the same way as others. I use Pinterest more to search for things and WhatsApp just to send messages, but I guess there is that status function on it.bb

I can browse through Pinterest for hours. I really enjoy it.

Top Bottom