• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Some Love for Lesser-Known 'Ships

What is your favorite lesser known/less popular 'ship?

• Buffy + Robin

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Robin + Faith

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Cordy + Gru

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gunn + Gwen

• Angel + Fred

• Spike + Angel

• Darla + Lindsey

• Spike + Faith

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • ... a forbidden ship?

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

CharlieGunn1

Ready for battle...
We all know it's all about the Bangel, or the Spuffy...

However there are some other 'ships that are more rare... follow me to the wine cellar of the perfectly aged 'Ship.... and chose your favorite. Or talk about one that I didn't mention.

Mrs Gordo

And then she comes along...
Black Thorn
Aside from Cordy and Gunn.

I enjoy Anya and Giles.
I wish Buffy would have dated Graham.
I didn’t mind Freseley although I wish it had progressed differently.
I wish Angel and Gwen had been a thing.

GraceK
GraceK
Graham was super hot
Sineya
Guess most folk know what I'm going to go for........so just to be different....

Buffy/Tara - The only person that really seemed to 'get' Buffy, was there for her when she needed a shoulder, & wasn't after something in return.

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
I don't like any of these. All boring and lame. Spike/Angel has some potential (history, glaring gay subtext) but I'm not into slash and don't connect emotionally with both of them. I went for "forbidden ship" such as Willow/Giles in and after high-school. Additionally, all shipping combinations of Buffy, Xander, Willow and Faith, except Buffy/Faith.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Cordelia and Doyle. I would have liked to see that play out :(
could have been very, very funny... to watch her try to remake him... Doyle's character got a raw deal thanks to Glenn Quinn's addiction. I miss them both. So much wasted talent!

Aside from Cordy and Gunn.

I enjoy Anya and Giles.
I wish Buffy would have dated Graham.
I didn’t mind Freseley although I wish it had progressed differently.
I wish Angel and Gwen had been a thing.
Your wish is my command... I put Buffy and Graham together in one of my stories (actually one of my series) will let you know about the B/G arc. The idea of Anya and Giles is intriguing. He needs an experienced, unshockable partner!

CharlieGunn1

Ready for battle...
I don't like any of these. All boring and lame. Spike/Angel has some potential (history, glaring gay subtext) but I'm not into slash and don't connect emotionally with both of them. I went for "forbidden ship" such as Willow/Giles in and after high-school. Additionally, all shipping combinations of Buffy, Xander, Willow and Faith, except Buffy/Faith.
The definition of a forbidden ship to be sure.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Initially, I was convinced that was gonna happen. It could have been a very hot, very interesting relationship.
I agree. I was never a fan of Gunn/Fred to be honest . I always felt he loved her way more than she loved him.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I agree. I was never a fan of Gunn/Fred to be honest . I always felt he loved her way more than she loved him.
I actually love their dynamic... they had fun and they worked together so well that summer it was just them... they were like long, happy marrieds. I know couples like them. I don't want to sound sexist, but when a man loves a woman more than she loves him (as long as she does love him) it is more likely to be a happy union. Men most often tend to withhold. I adored them together...

but i loved the banter between Cordelia and Gunn and in another universe, I think they could have worked really well together.

What I found odious and forced was the 'back to white' Fred/Wesley pairing that they never even figured out how to make happen... Wesley was just too dark for someone as sunny as Fred. Both Fred and Gunn were people who had lived through horrific things and their reaction was to find the funny and the silly in life -- to lighten up... I think they were amazing together. Wesley would have done ANYTHING fred wanted b/c he was obsessed, and that was not healthy. Gunn wasn't afraid to argue with Fred about what she was going to do... his main mistake was to not listen to her and back off... She was right to want to take out Siedel. No one else could stop him.

Fred and Gunn were far and away the sanest, happiest and healthiest relationship in the Buffyverse.

Last edited:

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I actually love their dynamic... they had fun and they worked together so well that summer it was just them... they were like long, happy married. I know couples like them. I don't want to sound sexist, but when a man loves a woman more than she loves him (as long as she does love him) it is more likely to be a happy union. Men most often tend to withhold. I adored them together...

but i loved the banter between Cordelia and Gunn and in another universe, I think they could have worked really well together.

What I found odious and forced was the 'back to white' Fred/Wesley pairing that they never even figured out how to make happen... Wesley was just too dark for someone as sunny as Fred. Both Fred and Gunn were people who had lived through horrific things and their reaction was to find the funny and the silly in life -- to lighten up... I think they were amazing together. Wesley would have done ANYTHING fred wanted b/c he was obsessed, and that was not healthy. Gunn wasn't afraid to argue with Fred about what she was going to do... his main mistake was to not listen to her and back off... She was right to want to take out Siedel. No one else could stop him.

Fred and Gunn were far and away the sanest, happiest and healthiest relationship in the Buffyverse.
You make a lot of great points about the Fred/Gunn relationship. I just personally didn’t like how Fred treated him towards the end, but otherwise I pretty much agree with their dynamic.

I happen to love Fred/Wesley. Wesley is probably one of my top favorite characters and I personally love their relationship. However, I’m not gonna try to change your mind :)

I love when people ship Graham with characters other than Riley. I used to read Xander/Graham fics in the past. I just love how fanfic writers shaped his character in the same way (kinda like Riley, but slightly less uptight).

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
You make a lot of great points about the Fred/Gunn relationship. I just personally didn’t like how Fred treated him towards the end, but otherwise I pretty much agree with their dynamic.

I happen to love Fred/Wesley. Wesley is probably one of my top favorite characters and I personally love their relationship. However, I’m not gonna try to change your mind :)
I don't like the way their relationship ended either... I think it was contrived and out of character for BOTH of them. He was boorish, and killed that guy 'for' her without asking her and she was not nice to him... none of it was reflected in their earlier behavior... it did not make sense, except if the writers wanted to pry them apart... The writers had to ruin their dynamic in order to make it make sense for them to break up. And since it came out of left field, it was both bizarre and unpleasant.

GraceK
GraceK
It was extremely contrived that is true

white avenger

white avenger
You left out my all time favorite, Angel and Nina. Given another Season, I think that they would have really grown into a strong couple, especially if Nina had somehow learned to both control her changes AND stay in control when she did change. They could have made almost as good a fighting team as Buffy and Spike. Plus, the dynamic between a vampire and a werewolf would have been almost as interesting as that between a vampire and a Slayer.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I think the Wesley of season one could have maybe made a go of a relationship with Fred but she was busy surviving Pylea... thing is, Wesley was always a darker character than we initially see... he's a watcher, he's got a very dark relationship with his father (and probably his family) We see hints of it during Billy. I think that people pair the two of them together because they're both smart, but Wesley is book smart and Fred is just gifted... Fred is far and away the smartest person on the series... she might have more in common in terms of smarts with Willow (and maybe Oz - there's a reason the 'Microsoft' of the Buffyverse was looking to meet with both Willow and Oz). That said, Fred is eminently practical AEB her creativity with trap making in Billy, her survival in Pylea and the contraption she builds that kills demons... Same as Gunn, who makes his own weapons... They are survivors. Fred survived five years in hell. Wesley barely survived Sunnydale graduation!! Wesley was not initially good at fighting or much of anything practical... he's a very bookish kind of guy who would rather spend time with his head inside some complicated translation than go out and fight... he gets competent at it, but it's not his nature. If you watch Fred fight, she's actually a natural. She's small and she's deceptively fragile, but she uses that.

I know opposites do attract... but similars stay together and build lives. (been married, divorced, married and widowed and married again) For people who are different to do well together, they must complement each other. I don't see it with Wes and Fred. They also have some of the same weaknesses (shy, awkward) -- probably why then never actually end up together.

You left out my all time favorite, Angel and Nina. Given another Season, I think that they would have really grown into a strong couple, especially if Nina had somehow learned to both control her changes AND stay in control when she did change. They could have made almost as good a fighting team as Buffy and Spike. Plus, the dynamic between a vampire and a werewolf would have been almost as interesting as that between a vampire and a Slayer.
I would love to have seen how they got around the curse (and Buffy's reaction if she found out, though I think that ship has long sailed). I don't think the curse would initially be a problem (I don't believe Angel was a monk) I think if they fell in love and were truly happy, though...

By the way... I really love Wesley... and I love writing him.

I love when people ship Graham with characters other than Riley. I used to read Xander/Graham fics in the past. I just love how fanfic writers shaped his character in the same way (kinda like Riley, but slightly less uptight).
I love Graham and wish he'd been a more major character. When I need to bring an initiative character, he's my go to guy. I have shipped him with Buffy. I think they are a fun match. Buffy is much more... intense even than I think Riley could handle... I think Graham would roll better with the punches. I don't think Buffy's in-chargeness would scare him as much.

I decided that someone like Faith needs a Riley in her life... someone who'll worship her, but also ground her... and she'll challenge him to let loose in a way Buffy really won't b/c she's too buttoned down.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Gunn and Gwen! They both needed some love and someone who would stick by them. Althought, maybe Gwen would not be trusth worthy enough for Gunn...God Gunn needed a good girlfriend. He was such a sweetheart and one of the rare good guys in the verse. Maybe I will join the Cordy and Gunn shippers, at least he would get a loyal girl and she would finally have a guy that can give her what she deserves (normal sweet love!). #justiceforGunnand Cordy !!!!

GraceK

Grr Arrg
How about Fred and Willow? I loved them in Orpheus. ;)

They have tons more chemistry than Kennedy and Willow.

Top Bottom