• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Songs for each ship

Sineya
I thought it might be cool to pick songs which describe the essence of each ship, or match our understanding of each ship. For mainstream canonical ships like Spuffy, Bangel, Twillow, Cangel, or even crazy offbeat ships like between Spike + Wood (Spood) or Buffy + Faith (Fuffy), etc. The lyrics should match or the tone/mood of the song, etc. The songs may mirror the status of the ship from season to season, or from the POV of one character. Basically, you can suggest any ship song from any angle. It doesn't even have to be a song you like, just one that feels suitable for the ship.
Examples

for Spuffy:
S5 Spike POV: Trouble Sleeping - Corinne Bailey Rae
S6 Spike POV: If You Only Knew by The Moffats & Gil or Jack Johnson's Sitting, Waiting, Wishing.
S6 Buffy POV: Adele's Chasing Pavements.
Evanescence's Bring Me to Life might apply to Spuffy from both their POV's post S6.

for Bangel:
Angel POV: Richard Marx's Right Here Waiting

for Spood (Spike and Wood):
S7 Wood POV: Phil Collin's In the Air Tonight

Sineya
Hah! In the process of writing a Fic where Faith was around for OMWF.
Before trying to write my own song for Faith to sing I did look for an existing song she could sing to Buffy. Best I could come up with was this....
(Though it would probably fit S7 if you don't want to go off-cannon).

For Fuffy:
S7 Faith POV: Good enough - Evanescence. From album The Open Door.

In case anyone is interested.......

Good Enough.
Under your spell again
I can't say no to you
Crave my heart & it's bleeding in your hand
I can't say no to you

Shouldn't have let you torture me so sweetly
Now I can't let go of this dream
I can't breathe, but I feel

Good enough
I feel good enough for you

Drink up sweet decadence
I can't say no to you
And I've completely lost myself
And I don't mind
I can't say no to you

Shouldn't have let you conquer me completely
Now I can't let go of this dream
Can't believe that I feel

Good enough
I feel good enough
It's been such a long time coming
But I feel good

And I'm still waiting for the rain to fall
Pour real life down on me
Cause I can't hold on to anything this good

Enough
Am I good enough
For you to love me too

So take care what you ask of me
Cause I can't say no to you.....

:)

Season 6 Spuffy: Love the Way You Lie.

And for some reason, I don't know why, season 7 Spuffy makes me think of Bones. Here's a good portion of the lyrics (again, I don't know why I think of this song, maybe it's more of how wistful and sad it sounds):

Dig up her bones but leave the soul alone
Boy with a broken soul
Heart with a gaping hole
Dark twisted fantasy turned to reality
Kissing death and losing my breath
Midnight hours cobble street passages
Forgotten savages, forgotten savages
Let her find a way to a better place
Broken dreams and silent screams
Empty churches with soulless curses
We found a way to escape the day
Lost in the pages of self made cages
Life slips away and the ghosts come to play
These are hard times
These are hard times for dreamers
And love lost believers
Let her find a way to a better place
Broken dreams and silent screams
Empty churches with soulless curses

Maybe when I get back I'll add in some for others

Mrs Gordo

No one ever mattered. Not like she did.
Black Thorn
Ooh this is a fun thread:

I'll start with Spuffy. This song reminds me of them in s6:

Adele - Turning Tables

Close enough to start a war
All that I have is on the floor
God only knows what we're fighting for
All that I say, you always say more
I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb, I can't breathe
So I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't ask you, you to just desert me
I can't give you, what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables, yes
To turning tables
Under haunted skies I see you
Uuh, and when love is lost, your ghost is found
I braved a hundred storms to leave you
As hard as you try, no I will never be knocked down
'Cause I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb, I can't breathe
So I won't let you close enough to hurt me, no
I won't ask you, you to just desert me
To turning tables
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
When the thunder calls for me
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
Standing on my own two feet
So I won't let you close enough to hurt me, no
I won't ask you, you to just desert me
To turning tables
Turning tables, yeah
Ta da da da, ta da da da, yes, I

I'll have to think about some Bangel ones and come back because there are just too many and I don't want to overwhelm the post. :)

RachM
RachM
I swear I once made a Spuffy banner using lyrics from this song. It is very fitting.
SunnydaleGlitz
SunnydaleGlitz
Perfect for Spuffy, wow, it's uncanny!
Bangel
Summertime Sadness really makes me think of the ending of Becoming and Buffy mourning Angel during the summer.

This Love by Taylor Swift is also a perfect song for Bangel, but it fits a lot of ships. Bangel even more though :)

Spuffy
All I Ask by Adele kind of reminds me of Spuffy (from Spike's pov) at the end of s7 when they are lying in bed.

Last edited:
Sineya
This is the real Spuffy anthem, written by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles in 1962 and covered by the Beatles, Percy Sledge and a bunch of other people:

You Really Got a Hold on Me

I don't like you
But I love you
Seems that I'm always
Thinking of you
Oh, oh, oh,
You treat me badly
I love you madly
You've really got a hold on me
You've really got a hold on me, baby
I don't want you,
But I need you
Don't want to kiss you
But I need to
Oh, oh, oh
You do me wrong now
My love is strong now
I love you and all I want you to do
Is just hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me
I want to leave you
Don't want to stay here
Don't want to spend
Another day here
Oh, oh, oh, I want to split now
Just can't quit now
You've really…
I want to leave you
Don't want to stay here
Don't want to spend
Another day here
Oh, oh, oh, I want to split now
Just can't quit now
I love you and all I want you to do
Is just hold me, please, hold me, squeeze, hold me, hold me

SunnydaleGlitz
SunnydaleGlitz
So much karma!!

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
I love these kinds of threads! This will be a long post :D

Bangel

• Only Love Can Hurt Like This (Paloma Faith) "I tell myself that I don't care that much/But I feel like I'm dying till I feel your touch/Only love, only love can hurt like this/Only love can hurt like this/Must have been a deadly kiss/Only love can hurt like this"
  • Hello (Adelle) "Hello, it's me/I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet/To go over everything/They say that time's supposed to heal ya/But I ain't done much healing"
  • Leave Out All The Rest (Linkin Park) "When my time comes/Forget the wrong that I've done/Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed/And don't resent me/And when you're feeling empty/Keep me in your memory/Leave out all the rest"
  • Love Will Have It's Sacrifices (Soles) "We could live forever and suffer/Die as one, together as lovers/Love will be cruel to who it entices/Love will have it's sacrifices"
  • Dynasty (MIIA) "Thought we built a dynasty that heaven couldn't shake/Thought we built a dynasty like nothing ever made/Thought we built a dynasty forever couldn't break up"
Spuffy (warning, these will all be somewhat anti-love songs)
  • Better Man (Pearl Jam) "She lies and says she's in love with him/Can't find a better man/She dreams in colour, she dreams in red/Can't find a better man"
  • Lover I Don't Have To Love (Bright Eyes) "I want a lover I don't have to love/I want a boy who's so drunk he doesn't talk/And where's the kid with the chemicals?/I got a hunger and I can't seem to get full/I need some meaning I can memorize/The kind I have always seems to slip my mind"
  • Kiss With A Fist (Florence & The Machine) "You hit me once/I hit you back/You gave a kick/I gave a slap/You smashed a plate over my head/Then I set fire to our bed"
  • Praying (Kesha) "'Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell/I had to learn how to fight for myself/And we both know all the truth I could tell/I'll just say this is "I wish you farewell"/I hope you're somewhere prayin', prayin'"
Twillow
  • Crimson & Clover (Joan Jett) "Ah, now I don't hardly know her/But I think I can love her/Crimson and clover/Ah, now when she comes walkin' over/Now I've been waitin' to show her/Crimson and clover, over and over"
  • When She Loved Me (Sarah McLachlan) "When somebody loved me/Everything was beautiful/Every hour spent together/Lives within my heart/And when she was sad/I was there to dry her tears/And when was happy so was I/When she loved me"
  • Light Surrounding You (Evermore) "And if you never had my heart/I would've never called you back/At the start that night/And I want you to know/That I see the light surrounding you/So don't be afraid of something new"
Dangel
  • Take Me To Church (Hozier) "Take me to church/I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies/I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife/Offer me that deathless death/Good God, let me give you my life"
  • Howl (Florence & The Machine) "If you could only see the beast you've made of me/I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free/Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart/Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart"
  • Running Up That Hill (Placebo) "You don't wanna hurt me/But see how deep the bullet lies/Unaware I'm tearing you asunder/Oh, there is thunder in our hearts/Is there so much hate for the ones we love?/Well tell me, we both matter, don't we?"
  • Undisclosed Desires (Muse) "I want to reconcile the violence in your heart/I want to recognize your beauty is not just a mask/I want to exorcise the demons from your past/I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart"
Cangel
  • King & Lionheart (Of Monsters And Men) "Howling ghosts they reappear/In mountains that are stacked with fear/But you're a king and I'm a lionheart/And in the sea that's painted black/Creatures lurk below the deck/But you're a king and I'm a lionheart"
  • Lean On Me (Bill Withers) "Lean on me, when you're not strong/And I'll be your friend/I'll help you carry on/For it won't be long/'Til I'm gonna need/Somebody to lean on"
Funn
  • The Freshman (The Verve Pipe) "For the life of me I cannot remember/What made us think that we were wise and we'd never compromise/For the life of me I cannot believe/We'd ever die for these sins/We were merely freshmen"
  • I Will Follow You Into The Dark (Death Cab For Cutie) "If heaven and hell decide that they both are satisfied/And illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs/If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks/Then I'll follow you into the dark"
Weslah
  • I Hate You, I Love You (Gnash) "You're still in love with me but your friends don't know/If you wanted me you would just say so/And if I were you, I would never let me go/I hate you, I love you/I hate that I love you"
  • I Hate Myself For Loving You (Joan Jett) "I think of you every night and day/You took my heart, then you took my pride away/I hate myself for loving you/Can't break free from the the things that you do/I want to walk but I run back to you, that's why/I hate myself for loving you"
That's all I've got for now, might be back with more songs for more couples later!

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
I know I’m surprised there isn’t a vid for it.

Mrs Gordo

No one ever mattered. Not like she did.
Black Thorn
Praying (Kesha) "'Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell/I had to learn how to fight for myself/And we both know all the truth I could tell/I'll just say this is "I wish you farewell"/I hope you're somewhere prayin', prayin'"
I was just thinking this a few weeks ago. Posted it on tumblr about it actually. Very fitting for end of s6. “I hope you find your peace, falling on your knees” is also a good line.

Bangel songs:

Sarah Bareilles - Breathe Again
All I have, all I need, he's the air I would kill to breathe. Holds my love in his hands, still I'm searching for something. Out of breath, I am left hoping someday I'll breathe again.

Major Lazer (ft Ellie Golding) - Powerful
From the very first time we loved.From the very first time we touched.
There's an energy. When you hold me. When you touch me. It's so powerful. I can feel it. When you hold me. When you touch me. It's so powerful.

And finally very simple but I think fitting: Coldplay - Parachutes

In a haze
A stormy haze
I'll be round
I'll be loving you always
Always
Here I am and I'll take my time
Here I am and I'll wait in line always
Always

Sineya
Love, love, love all these song inputs!! Thanks everyone!

I just had to add this -- for Spuffy (probably Spike POV but really could apply to Buffy as well.)
And I guess this could also apply to other ships, but I'm not sure. For me, it's perfect for Spuffy.

Chris Isaak's Wicked Game

Black Thorn
Love, love, love all these song inputs!! Thanks everyone!

I just had to add this -- for Spuffy (probably Spike POV but really could apply to Buffy as well.)
And I guess this could also apply to other ships, but I'm not sure. For me, it's perfect for Spuffy.

Chris Isaak's Wicked Game
Ooh, that's a really good one for Spuffy. I love that song.

This song also makes me think of Season 6 Spuffy from Buffy's POV:

Especially the line: "You're neither friend nor foe though I can't seem to let you go"

SunnydaleGlitz
SunnydaleGlitz
Oooh nice! Thanks!
Sineya
Ooh, that's a really good one for Spuffy. I love that song.

This song also makes me think of Season 6 Spuffy from Buffy's POV:

Especially the line: "You're neither friend nor foe though I can't seem to let you go"
Love that you found a Buffy POV type song too...so perfect! :)
I know, I love Wicked Game, and Chris Isaak's voice even sounds a little bit like Spike's! Lol. Someone should get James Marsters to sing Wicked Game.

Sineya
For Willow and Tara, I Put a Spell on You, done by Jay Hawkins, Credence Clearwater Revival, Annie Lennox and just about every blues singer on the planet:

I Put a Spell on You

I put a spell on you
Because you're mine
You better stop the things you do
I tell ya I ain't lyin'
I ain't lyin'
You know I can't stand it
You're runnin' around
I can't stand it 'cause you put me down
Oh no
I put a spell on you
Because you're mine
You know I love you
I love you
I love you
I love you anyhow
And I don't care if you don't want me
I'm yours right now
I put a spell on you
Because you're mine
You know…
You know I can't stand it
Your running around
You know baby mama
I can't stand it
'Cause you put me down
Ooo I put a spell on you
Because you're mine
Because you're mine
Because you're mine
Oh yeah

Sineya
You want a Fuffy song for Faith to sing? Check out "Do I (Intimidate You)" by Sarah Smith of The Joys. She sold this song to a program on the gay TV network and sold it again as the end song for the movie "Cake".

[youtube]

SunnydaleGlitz
SunnydaleGlitz
So appropriate!