• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Spike and Buffy: “I love you,” - “ No, you don’t.”

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Recently, I re-watched "Dead Things", and was reminded of the scene in the alley where Spike tells Buffy "I love you" and she responds "No, you don't."

And of course, I thought immediately of their final scene together in "Chosen", where this time, SHE says he loves him, and he says "no, you don't."

Oh, the irony! They mirror each other, and switch roles.

Perhaps Spike’s answer in “Chosen” was a mirror of her answer earlier in “Dead Things”? And not actually that he doesnt believe her?
And Buffy's smile is an acknowledgment of that interaction from their past, and an inside joke of sorts?

Discuss!

It is a nice call back but I genuinely think he was too insecure since getting his soul and all they had been through to believe her at that point.
I agree with this.

In Seeing Red Buffy explains to Spike:
"I have feelings for you. I do. But it's not love. I could never trust you enough for it to be love."

So I think that Spike, now that he has a soul, is fully aware of all the atrocities he committed and does not believe that she (or anyone) could (or should) ever trust him fully and completely.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Interesting perspective.
Top Bottom