• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike and Dru - what do we know about their break up ?

flow

Scooby
A couple of weeks, in another thread it was mentioned, that the writers retconned Spikes and Drus break up and I got a bit confused about that and have been trying to sort it out ever since.

As far as I recall (and I maybe wrong), we see Spike and Drusilla leave at the end of season 2. Spike drives them out of town in his DeSoto. He has announced before, that they will leave the country. We later get to see a flashback to a South American country (is it ever clarified, that it is Brazil?)

When Spike returns to Sunnydale in season 3, he tells us, that Dru has left him for a Chaos demon. He is heartbroken about it, especially, because she had suggested, they could stay friends. He also admits, that she has accused him of going soft, because he allied with Buffy instead of killing Buffy in season 2.

What he doesn`t tell us, but is shown to us in flashbacks, is, that Dru saw him falling in love with the slayer. She mentions, that all she can see is the slaye and that Spike is covered in her. She confirms that again later in season 5, when she says "I knew, before you did."

At first, Spike wants to get a love spell or a love potion, to make Dru love him again. Later he changes his mind and decides to prove to her, he is still the demon, she wants and loves by torturing her. I guess, that is some kind of very romantic vampiric courtship ritual. He leaves again in his DeSoto returns to Sunnydale - Druless - in season 4.

I actually don`t remember him telling us directly, what happened to him and Dru then. I also don`t recall a flashback. I only remember Harmony telling Buffy, that Dru dumped him - again - this time for a Funghus demon.

Would you consider it canon, that Spike and Dru got back together again and then broke up a second time, because Dru cheated on him with a Funghus demon ? Or could it have been something, he just told Harmony or something, Harmony just made up herself. Or Harmony could have confused a Chaos demon with a Funghus demon and was talking about the first break up.

Is it, from everything, we have seen, possible, that Spike never found Dru, or that he found her and she rejected him right away ?

And how did the writers retcon the first break up (with the Chaos demon)?

flow

white avenger

white avenger
From what we saw, Spike and Dru had an on again/off again relationship almost from the moment that she sired him. Dru was always Daddy's girl, and anyone else who shared her bed was just a substitute for the real thing. Apparently, Spike remained loyal to her throughout their long relationship (discounting the implied rapes of young girls that seems to be a vampire's favorite pastime) until finally taking up permanent residence in Sunnydale in Season 5, until he became fixated on Buffy.

Or, something like that.

Would you consider it canon, that Spike and Dru got back together again and then broke up a second time, because Dru cheated on him with a Funghus demon ? Or could it have been something, he just told Harmony or something, Harmony just made up herself. Or Harmony could have confused a Chaos demon with a Funghus demon and was talking about the first break up.
I consider it canon. Spike tried to put on a front when Buffy mocked him that Dru broke up with him again "Maybe I broke up with her" was his response until Harmony revealed about the fungus demon which annoyed Spike. My headcanon is that Spike and Harmony met when Spike got drunk, told her his tale of woe about Dru, then Harmony kind of glued herself to him. I also imagine a fungus demon looking like a giant mushroom.

Here's the scenes where Spike talks abut the break up from Lovers Walk.

To Willow:

Spike: It was that truce with Buffy that did it. Dru said I'd gone
soft. Wasn't demon enough for the likes of her. And I told her it didn't
mean anything, I was thinking of her the whole time, but she didn't
care. So, we got to Brazil, and she was... she was just different. I
gave her everything: beautiful jewels, beautiful dresses with beautiful
girls in them, but nothing made her happy. And she would fliiirt!
(sniffs) I caught her on a park bench, making out with a *chaos* demon!
Have you ever seen a chaos demon? They're all slime and antlers. They're
disgusting.

He looks at Willow's pretty young face and strokes her silky auburn
hair.

Spike: She only did it to hurt me. (he takes his hand off of her) So I
said, 'I'm not putting up with this anymore.' And she said, 'Fine!' And
I said, 'Yeah, I've got an unlife, you know!' And then she said... she
said we could still be friends. (leans over and sobs on Willow's
shoulder) God, I'm so unhappy!

To Joyce:

Spike: So I'm strolling through the park, looking for a meal, and I
happen to walk by, and she's making out with the chaos demon! And so I
said, 'You know, I don't have to put up with this.' And she said,
'Fine!' So I said, 'Fine, do whatever you like!' I mean, I thought we
were going to make up, you know.

Later in the episode:

Spike: (smiling) I'm really glad I came here, you know? I've been all
wrongheaded about this. Weeping, crawling, blaming everybody else. I
want Dru back, I've just gotta be the man I was, (stands proud) the man
she loved. I'm gonna do what I shoulda done in the first place: I'll
find her, wherever she is, tie her up, torture her until she likes me
again.

The consistency in Spike's retelling of events is that he's walking through a park and sees Dru making out with the chaos demon on a bench.

He got too upset over saying that Dru said they could still be friends for that not to be true.

The only thing that he's inconsistent about is his response to Dru's "Fine!" when he tells her he's not putting up with it anymore (It seems like Dru called his bluff on that one).

Before he leaves Sunnydale, he talks about being the man he was. Since Dru thought he'd gone soft, his aim was to prove her wrong which gives him something to aim for.

The inconsistencies in the Fool for Love flashback are that:

They're not in a park but a bar.

Dru doesn't tell him they can still be friends.

He doesn't tell her he's not putting up with her flirting anymore and she doesn't respond "fine!"

She doesn't say he'd gone soft, her reasons are that she saw him being in love with Buffy.

None of the Fool for love flashback matches with what Spike says happens in Lovers Walk aside from them being in Brazil and a chaos demon. Why would Spike think he could win Dru back by being the man he
used to be, if the reason she broke up with him wasn't because of him but because she saw the Spuffy relationship happening? Had they used a different setting and the fungus demon, then the FFL flashback would have no problems as it would be the 2nd breakup before he returned to Sunnydale for good. However, because they used Brazil and the chaos demon, it makes it the 1st breakup pre- Lovers Walk and thus makes it a retcon.

Also Spike has no reason to lie in Lovers Walk about the reasons of the breakup as that was written long before Spuffy was on the radar. It was during the filming of the episode that Joss decided to bring back JM full time when Cordelia got shifted over to Angel. It's a lazy excuse to go "oh Spike was lying about why Dru broke up with him in Lovers Walk" just to fit the Spuffy narrative. The writers screwed up with the FFL flashback and as a result created a continuity error. I therefore prefer to think of Lover's Walk as canon and ignore the FFL Sprusilla flashback. Besides, Dru was only brought back in Season 5 so Spike could symbolically reject her for Buffy. Because so long as Sprusilla was still potentially a thing, then Spuffy couldn't fly unopposed. The writers needed Drusilla to step aside so the way was clear for Spuffy.

flow

Scooby
Thanks for clarifying that. You are right, if Spike was present, when Harmony spilled the story about Dru and the Funghus demon, he could easily have contradicted her or put her right. Looking angry or annoyed does indicate, she was telling the truth and he was just annoyed, that it came out.

I imagine a Funghus demon looking like the troll Olaf from Triangle, only, that tiny mushrooms sprout out of him everywhere;-)

However, I still think, the first breakup is plausible, even if you consider the two different stories from Lovers Walk and Fool For Love. As they have been together for about 120 years, they would probably not break up instantly in the park, the minute Spike saw her there on a bench with a Chaos demon. She has cheated on him before and although he probably never liked it, he would have tried to talk to her about it more than just once.

Which would mean, that the two converstaions a) in the park with the offer to stay friends and b) at the bar with Dru accusing him of falling in love with Buffy could just have been two different conversations on two different occasions on the same topic.

And Spike would still have believed, he could win her back, by torturing her. he would just have assumed, that it would finally convince her, that he is not the soft, romantic ponce, who would fall for a slayer.

flow

However, I still think, the first breakup is plausible, even if you consider the two different stories from Lovers Walk and Fool For Love. As they have been together for about 120 years, they would probably not break up instantly in the park, the minute Spike saw her there on a bench with a Chaos demon. She has cheated on him before and although he probably never liked it, he would have tried to talk to her about it more than just once.

Which would mean, that the two converstaions a) in the park with the offer to stay friends and b) at the bar with Dru accusing him of falling in love with Buffy could just have been two different conversations on two different occasions on the same topic.
I disagree. I think the Chaos Demon was the last straw for Spike, not the first time Dru cheated. It's very likely they had prior conversations about other instances but on both of Spike's retellings of the story he says that he's not "putting up with this" and Dru responds "fine!"

Also in the FFL flashback, the chaos demon said that he didn't realise Dru was seeing somebody which indicates that Spike had just discovered them and it is indeed the same conversation Spike was talking about in Lovers Walk.​

Top Bottom