• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike and his hoodie... (No Spoilers)

I'm currently catching up on Buffy Season 11 (just finished issue 7), and something is REALLY bugging me about it....Spike can now walk around in daylight as long as he wears gloves and has the hood up on his hoodie?! I could MAYBE accept it if he was in a mostly shaded place, but there is absolutely no cover outside in the camps. All he would have to do is accidentally turn the wrong way, get bumped into, or get tossed into one of the many fights, and he's either sizzling or going full up in flames. Is this bothering anyone else, or is it just me lol?

Sure we saw him run around town with a blanket covering him in the tv series, but even then he was still seen smoking. Now, he just seems to causally walk around in season 11.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
That's what's bugging you about S11? Not, like, the plot?

Anyways, Spike's plot armour is something that was on the show actually. Remember the tweed outfit from S6 Tabula Rasa? Is that any worse than the hoodie or a blanket?

S
Stanger406
Fair point...forgot about that one lol

Mrs Gordo

We fight termites wherever they may roam!
Black Thorn
I'm currently catching up on Buffy Season 11 (just finished issue 7), and something is REALLY bugging me about it....Spike can now walk around in daylight as long as he wears gloves and has the hood up on his hoodie?! I could MAYBE accept it if he was in a mostly shaded place, but there is absolutely no cover outside in the camps. All he would have to do is accidentally turn the wrong way, get bumped into, or get tossed into one of the many fights, and he's either sizzling or going full up in flames. Is this bothering anyone else, or is it just me lol?

Sure we saw him run around town with a blanket covering him in the tv series, but even then he was still seen smoking. Now, he just seems to causally walk around in season 11.
Yes but also this isn’t all that new? So I guess I just thought it’s another just convenient plot contrivance. Like in s1 of AtS when Angel is constantly drenched in direct light! Lol. Or s6 when Spike is in the Summer’s kitchen with - again tons of direct light.

But I guess the difference is that he isn’t outside. So yup it’s annoying. Plus his wrist is exposed in some of those drawings so he should be in flames.

But Angel in s11 casts reflections in rear view mirrors. The comics don’t care much for “logic.”

Whoops I had an Angel s11 spoiler of sorts tagged it!

white avenger

white avenger
And speaking of those blankets, why were they smoking, and the vampire in question, whether Spike or Angel, wasn't? The blanket isn't super-sensitive to the sun, the vampires are, and yet, once they toss aside the blankets, they aren't smoking.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
Convenience. They did it for convenience.
It did bug me. But I think the writers are careless when it comes to the Buffy Vampire Lore.

EarthLogic

"she went as limp as an overcooked piece of pasta"
Black Thorn
Remember the tweed outfit from S6 Tabula Rasa? Is that any worse than the hoodie or a blanket?
Yes, actually, you can't just hide your face from the sun by wearing a hat like that. Spike's face should have been on fire.

thetopher

Sineya
Yes, actually, you can't just hide your face from the sun by wearing a hat like that. Spike's face should have been on fire.
Eh, the hat had ear flaps and Spike could've just run with his head down towards the ground.
Although why he did this when there's sewer access to the Magic Box- and Spike knows this- is more puzzling.

EarthLogic

Black Thorn
Eh, the hat had ear flaps and Spike could've just run with his head down towards the ground.
Nah that doesn't cut it for me. It would depend on where the sun's coming from - you can turn into a new street and the sunlight can be directly facing you - a cap wouldn't cover you completely, even with your head down. Besides take a look:

His neck and throat are completely exposed! (as are his hands but he could have run with them stuffed in his pockets)

thetopher

Sineya
His neck and throat are completely exposed! (as are his hands but he could have run with them stuffed in his pockets)
Yeah, its ALL stupid; but at the end of the day its just Spike plot armor. There are portions of S6 where Spike is in full sun as it streams through Buffy's kitchen window. It shouldn't bother somebody who reads/enjoys the comic because it was worse on the show- which was my original point.

EarthLogic

Black Thorn
There are portions of S6 where Spike is in full sun as it streams through Buffy's kitchen window.
Well they did that with Angel on AtS, especially in S1 where he's got and office. There are some scenes when he is very much in full sunlight. They were never very good at keeping an eye on technicalities. Joss even almost had Angel appear in the mirror in 'Waiting in the Wings'!

crazysoulless
crazysoulless
His reflection in a mirror would've been the least OOC and objectionable thing about WiiW. Shudders from the Cangel.

thetopher

Sineya
Well they did that with Angel on AtS, especially in S1 where he's got and office. There are some scenes when he is very much in full sunlight.
At least the show-runners admitted that; it was a brand new set and they were trying to get the lighting right. By later in the season they had it sorted. With Spike they just didn't seem to care it seems.

The reflection thing happens all the time to all the vampire characters and it just unfortunate camera work; lots of things are reflective.

EarthLogic

Black Thorn
The reflection thing happens all the time to all the vampire characters and it just unfortunate camera work; lots of things are reflective.
In WitW Joss was blocking the dressing room scene and said that Angel and Cordelia would face the mirror as they embraced and the crew were like 'uh, you know he doesn't reflect, right?' - my point was that the writers do tend to forget. But otherwise yes, the other brief instances are just the result of camerawork and lack of funds to edit out reflections.

Grace

Evil Olive
Black Thorn
It’s probably not fair, but I am more willing to write off mistakes in lighting/reflection on camera than in comics, where there’s so much more ability to control the laws of physics.

gnarl

Potential
Sineya
They where all under a big magic dome. That might have had an impact?

But not really, because in another issue Spike starts sizzling when he leaves the caravan before the sun is fully down.
Buffy has always been flexible when it comes to how it's universe works. Sometimes Buffy (or Angel/Spike) are sometimes super strong, sometimes not so much. Sometimes Vampires are really flammable, sometimes not. It depends on the plot and I don't really hold it against them.
Still, why couldn't they have just given him a big umbrella or something?
It’s probably not fair, but I am more willing to write off mistakes in lighting/reflection on camera than in comics, where there’s so much more ability to control the laws of physics.
I agree, unlike on set you have complete control when you draw, there's not really an excuse.

Top Bottom