• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike being in love with Buffy - whose idea was it?

Black Thorn
I've read differing versions of how this development came about but I have no idea which is true:
  • James has said that he didn't want Spike to be killed off or turned into a static character so he planted the idea in Joss' head one day by casually mentioning he had a thing for Sarah. He wanted Spike to be in love with her and constantly trying to woo her and failing in comical ways.
  • 'Something Blue' was initially supposed to show how ridiculous Spuffy would be but fans ended up liking it so they decided to make it a thing.
  • 'Something Blue' was intended to test out fan reactions to the Spuffy storyline they already had in mind.
  • Joss has said he realised Spike was in love with her after the 'warm champagne' moment in 'Who Are You'.
I can see #4 developing from #1 if Joss then decided to take all the credit, but otherwise which is it?

There is probably an element of all the above.

Something Blue probably came first, James then suggested a Spuffy romance and Joss decided to go for it after "Who are you".

I have no idea who's idea it was, but it was certainly a terrible one.

Spuffy had better execution than some bad boy vampire/heroine relationships *cough* Delena *cough* . But it was STILL bad execution.
I wish they would have never had Spike telling Buffy he was in love with her all of s5. It kinda ruined what s6 could have been...

deathlysmirk
deathlysmirk
The DE diss. Love ot! Lol
Black Thorn
I recently read an interview with James where he was adamant he planted it - I'm pretty sure it was in the new Unauthorised Oral History book, but I can't find the quote again on the Google Books preview. He said he wanted Spike to be constantly failing to get Buffy's approval and that it would just continue like that.

Mylie
Mylie
I'll let you know if it's in that book if I stumble on it! :)
I've read differing versions of how this development came about but I have no idea which is true:
Something Blue probably came first, James then suggested a Spuffy romance and Joss decided to go for it after "Who are you".
I used to watch a lot of interviews and con videos with James Marsters on YouTube. I don`t remember where and when he said it, but I remember him saying, that he could envision Spike falling in love with Buffy (and maybe was talking to Joss Whedon about it at some point) but that never ever saw Spuffy until it happened. That came as a complete surprise to him.
I have heard that Something Blue was written, to find out, how the viewers would react to Spuffy. But I don`t know, if it is valid or where it comes from. It sounds more plausible to me, that they wrote it as a comedy and were surprised by the chemistry that Sarah Michelle Gellar and James Marsters sparked..

I have never heard that it was Who Are You that finally made Joss Whedon to go for a Spuffy romance, but it sounds very plausible to me.

flow

And I've heard 'Something Blue' was supposed to discourage people shipping Spuffy. Angel left and people wanted another vampire romance. But the producers were doubling down on Riley at the time. So it can't be a possible Spuffy set up. It was supposed to show how ridiculous a Spuffy hookup would be.

Unfortunately Blucas can't do seductive well, so his wooing of Buffy here fell completely flat. While SMG and JM seemed to have a blast playing frenemies who kiss (they were still frenemies even while supposedly in love, per Buffy's own words). So it only fuled the Spuffy flames.

Mrs Gordo

Angel-holic
Black Thorn
I know Jane Espenson and Marti were big advocates of that romance. I'm sure their sway held alot of weight. I have no clue how it came about but I'm sure it happened organically.

What could S6 have been then?
Just a more natural progression of them (Spuffy) getting close. She was ripped from heaven, depressed, Giles left, and she had no one to talk to because she was angry at her friends from removing her from peace.
She could then confide in Spike and they could become friends and still had that toxic relationship if the writers were determined to go that route (I personally would have preferred a friendship). Idk all the "I love you" crap from Spike in s5 was sickening and it just made Spuffy feel forced in s6 rather than natural.

I saw an interview with JM that claimed Joss told it to him, and JM thought it was great as long as Buffy didn't reciprocate, and Joss was like, "Well..."

But as others have pointed out, JM seems to tell a different story about what happened each time he tells it. Maybe JM really was drinking hard liquor while playing Spike rather than pretending to (so can't really remember what happened himself). :p

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
In hindsight, it seems inevitable that Spike should fall in love with Buffy, especially after he was dumped. In Lover's Walk, he acknowledges Bangel. He should have known he was in trouble then. A beautiful bad ass woman with super strength who is capable of loving as passionately as he is? It seems a no-brainer.

I think it must have something to do with the chemistry between the two actors on screen. Every scene they had together in S2 worked beautifully I thought, the chemistry between the two was so strong, they worked so well together. If these two characters hadn't had more screen time together I think the show would have missed a trick.

I don't know how true it is, but I've read that Something Blue was used to test the waters, to see if the audience would buy a relationship between Buffy and Spike.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
James isn’t very reliable with what he says. To quote Katy Perry, he will “change his mind like a girl changes clothes.”
I buy the test the waters with SB theory, but I also thought their relationship was being planted as a possibility way back in Becoming.

James isn’t very reliable with what he says. To quote Katy Perry, he will “change his mind like a girl changes clothes.”
Except JM was known for not changing his underwear a lot, but I digress.

I buy the test the waters with SB theory, but I also thought their relationship was being planted as a possibility way back in Becoming.
If you mean in the sense that he physically abandons her when the world is about to end? Then yes. If you mean frenemies in the sense of insulting each other, using each other to their own ends and occasionally beating each other up...very true. But romance, can't see anything in Becoming to support that.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
That is disgusting the first part anyway.

Fool for Buffy

Sineya
If you mean in the sense that he physically abandons her when the world is about to end? Then yes. If you mean frenemies in the sense of insulting each other, using each other to their own ends and occasionally beating each other up...very true. But romance, can't see anything in Becoming to support that.
Well mostly I mean this is the first time they have nonviolent scenes between just the two of them, so it's testing out the chemistry. Also this is the first time she invites him into her house, which is a very important plot point, and this alliance is the downfall of Spike and Drusilla, which leads to the possibility of Spike and Buffy.

Well mostly I mean this is the first time they have nonviolent scenes between just the two of them, so it's testing out the chemistry. Also this is the first time she invites him into her house, which is a very important plot point, and this alliance is the downfall of Spike and Drusilla, which leads to the possibility of Spike and Buffy.
In the S5 retcon it was because of Spuffy. Originally in S3 it had nothing to do with it. I go with the original, not the retcon. And the only reason why she invited him into the house was because a) she was wanted for murder and cops were patrolling and b) Angelus' henchmen walking around. Nothing romantic behind it, it's pragmatism. And they have violent contact at the beginning, when Buffy wants to beat him to a pulp at the cop car.

Fool for Buffy

Sineya
In the S5 retcon it was because of Spuffy. Originally in S3 it had nothing to do with it. I go with the original, not the retcon. And the only reason why she invited him into the house was because a) she was wanted for murder and cops were patrolling and b) Angelus' henchmen walking around. Nothing romantic behind it, it's pragmatism. And they have violent contact at the beginning, when Buffy wants to beat him to a pulp at the cop car.
It's not about why she invites him into her house, just that him being invited becomes very important later in the series. And the alliance leading to the Sprusilla fall was probably thought of when it happened, or at least shortly after when they decided to have Spike back in season 3. Yes they do have violent contact but the fact that there was also nonviolent was my point.

It's not about why she invites him into her house, just that him being invited becomes very important later in the series.
I don't get what the significance is. Darla was also invited and it has no significance beyond the episode where she was invited. Whatever happens Seasons down the line doesn't mean much, as you can't use future story lines (which they made up anyway especially in regards to Spike) to defend the past and attribute significance to it. When it happened it was all about pragmatism, with no thought of the future.

Top Bottom