• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike being in love with Buffy - whose idea was it?

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
I would say the unhealthiness of Spuffy stems from Spike's obsessive nature and lack of soul. It would have ended in the same place, even if Buffy hadn't died. Spike almost shot Buffy with a shot gun in S5.
Well, yes, that's a bit of a given. Except that for me, it's both : the toxic sides of the relationship in S6 are equally due to Buffy feeling like shit and using Spike as result AND Spike being ultimately soulless and thus not being able to tell right from wrong, hurting Buffy (sometimes deliberately, sometimes not) as a result.
It's part of what I find fascinating and compelling about S6 Spuffy : it got really dark (with some light touches here and there), but at least it was equally dark from and on both ends.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
Didn't JM at one point say he thought they were going to hook up Xander and Spike in S4 and that's why they brought Spike back? Or so he thought because Marti or Jane told him that? But then NB was told he'd have more to do with the Initiative story (because of his military memories from Halloween) and that didn't pan out either.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Good gods, what would've they done with Spander? Can you imagine Buffy's reaction? Giles?

I could see it happening while Spike was staying with Xander, and I'm sure it would be played for laughs. If this was a serious idea I'd love to be able to peek into an alternate universe where they ran with it (and Oz stayed with Willow). I have no idea if I'd like it or not, but I bet it would get a lot more censoring and negative fan reactions than Tillow.

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
Good gods, what would've they done with Spander? Can you imagine Buffy's reaction? Giles?
The Spander thing was how they hooked JM to come back in the first place, I think. Guess they still hadn't decided which character to make gay (Willow or Xander). It would still have been completely OOC but then what wasn't when it comes to Spike where the Scoobie are concerned. And the hate Xander would have gotten considering his attitude towards Angel, probably why they tossed that option out. But then they did have them date Anya which got him the same kind of hate, so there is that.

spikenbuffy

"Look, it's blood, it's Summers blood. "
I don't know but I bless that person, it's surely Joss Whedon, that person has just saw some kind of potential to Spike & Buffy's attraction in S4 to each other, took an opportunity to make it. Some little things considering Spuffy could have made different maybe but it would have suck bad to not try it when you see something (great chemistry). So I bless that person, thanks from a Spuffy fan at heart.

Taake

Talk Darcy to me
Staff member
Black Thorn
She should have suggested it in Season 4 or 5 rather than Season 7. Season 7 just seemed a little too late.
Really? I thought the opposite, I was really opposed to Buffy and Xander in season 4/5, but in season 7 they seemed like they were a great fit and had really matured into a functioning unit together.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Really? I thought the opposite, I was really opposed to Buffy and Xander in season 4/5, but in season 7 they seemed like they were a great fit and had really matured into a functioning unit together.
I agree. In Season 4/5, Buffy was dating Riley (her college boyfriend) then they broke up half way through season 5 so it would be too soon for Buffy to hook up with someone so soon (though saying that she was making moon eyes at Ben). In Season 6, Buffy was sleeping with Spike (which, like a drug, made her feel better for a short while but crappy in the long run then she lost control of her "addiction"). Also Xander was dating Anya during Seasons 4-6. Season 7 was the first real chance Buffy and Xander had where they could've actually been together.

Saying that, had Spuffy not happened, then I could see Buffy and Xander having an affair in Season 6. Buffy would be seeing comfort in the familiar (perhaps even solely blaming Willow for her resurrection} whilst Xander would be freaking out about his wedding (or does go through with it) and is then subconsciously sabotaging his relationship by hooking up with Buffy, again seeking comfort in the familiar.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I have always heard that Joss always wanted Buffy and Spike together and he'd been planning it for years.

Also, Spike became a very popular character, and they wanted to keep him on so they had to figure out a way to keep him in the story. He was originally going to be killed off early on.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I have always heard that Joss always wanted Buffy and Spike together and he'd been planning it for years.

Also, Spike became a very popular character, and they wanted to keep him on so they had to figure out a way to keep him in the story. He was originally going to be killed off early on.
Spike was originally going to be killed off in Season 2 but was so popular with the audience that the decision was made to injure him rather than kill him when the organ fell on him.

Originally both Spike and Dru were supposed to come back in Lovers Walk and were going to be in the middle of a lovers tiff, however JL was unavailable so the episode was rewritten where Spike comes back alone. Because of JM's chemistry with the rest of the cast and Angel getting his own show and taking Cordy with him, Whedon decided to bring Spike on board as a regular for Season 4 to fill Cordy's role of sarcastic teammate.

Something Blue was meant to be a joke for why Spuffy would never happen (hence the exaggeratedness of it) but proved very popular which then got the writers thinking it could be a legitimate thing.

Spuffy wouldn't have been thought about as a thing before Season 4 tops.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
I don't know. I think to think based on what Joss has said that he is a Spuffy ;)

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I agree. In Season 4/5, Buffy was dating Riley (her college boyfriend) then they broke up half way through season 5 so it would be too soon for Buffy to hook up with someone so soon (though saying that she was making moon eyes at Ben). In Season 6, Buffy was sleeping with Spike (which, like a drug, made her feel better for a short while but crappy in the long run then she lost control of her "addiction"). Also Xander was dating Anya during Seasons 4-6. Season 7 was the first real chance Buffy and Xander had where they could've actually been together.

Saying that, had Spuffy not happened, then I could see Buffy and Xander having an affair in Season 6. Buffy would be seeing comfort in the familiar (perhaps even solely blaming Willow for her resurrection} whilst Xander would be freaking out about his wedding (or does go through with it) and is then subconsciously sabotaging his relationship by hooking up with Buffy, again seeking comfort in the familiar.
I never cared for Buffy and Riley or Xander and Anya being a couple.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I never cared for Buffy and Riley or Xander and Anya being a couple.
I agree about Buffy and Riley, he was a terrible boyfriend with control issues. In regards to Anya and Xander, I think they were good for each other in a personal growth kind of way but I think it is quite telling by how quick Ganya took off as a fanon ship not long after Tabula Rasa.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
I agree about Buffy and Riley, he was a terrible boyfriend with control issues. In regards to Anya and Xander, I think they were good for each other in a personal growth kind of way but I think it is quite telling by how quick Ganya took off as a fanon ship not long after Tabula Rasa.
I don't think Riley was the problem in the relationship though. I just think Briley wasn't going to work out.

As for Xander&Anya, Anya does inherit some qualities that his ex-girlfriend, Cordelia has such as being outspoken and money hungry.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I don't think Riley was the problem in the relationship though. I just think Briley wasn't going to work out.

As for Xander&Anya, Anya does inherit some qualities that his ex-girlfriend, Cordelia has such as being outspoken and money hungry.
There are numerous examples where Riley shows controlling behaviour in regards to Buffy.

Taake

Talk Darcy to me
Staff member
Black Thorn
This is an interesting line of conversation, but the thread is drifting slightly off topic here. I recommend starting a new thread on Briley :)

Top Bottom