• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike love

GraceK

Grr Arrg
so...I have always loved Spike until I joined this forum. Not to be rude, but there is so much Spike hate here. And it's legitimate...I have read so many good argument about why Spike is terrible..and I have seen Such Spike apologists than I have gotten mad and hated Spike more just on principle.

But he's a pretty amazing character. I don't care what anyone says..he's awesome sauce. The fact that he stirs up so much controversy and hate is proof that he is special.

I'll be honest..I love him. I don't even care about the AR. I know my girl card should be angry and disgusted,but I'm not. It fits his character...that was honestly one of the only logical conclusions to his arc. And it makes him better. I love that he fell for Buffy. The fact of a soulless Demon falling in love is an amazing story. To watch him work to be a better man made the whole series more interesting. His absolute devotion and loyalty is beautiful. Yes, it helps that JM is sexy AF....but he sells it wonderfully.

My point is that I love Spike...and Spuffy. And I feel we should have a thread of appreciation:)

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
Yes...Spike appreciation is always great. See...I am not an Angel hater. So, I do find it strange to see so much Spike hate.

A few reasons why I love his character:

-He was a great villain.
-He has some of the funniest lines and scenes in both series.
-He is a great love interest for Buffy.
-He helped and cared about people even without his soul.

Last but not least....

-He is a great HERO.

white avenger

white avenger
Spike is one of those characters who was originally intended to play at best a supporting role, but who, because of the talent of the actor, the skill of the writers, and a special interaction with the other members of the cast, developed into a fan favorite, and even a cult hero, just like another beloved character with a similar name: Spock.

I hope they both live long and prosper.

Priceless

Scooby
Spike was written and acted so well, even if you hate him, he still rates at one of the most interesting characters ever on tv. He's a mass of contradictions, a villainous vampire who loves deeply, a pragmatist who makes deals with his enemies. He's funny and eloquent, a deluded fool who can see into the hearts of others.

He cared for a crazy woman for a hundred years and for Dawn for no other reason then he made a promise. Buffy is the hero, Spike is the anti-hero, she drags him into the light and he tells her it's ok to acccept the darkness within her without judgement. They make each other better.

The attempted rape is horrible to watch, but necessary for Spike. He had to finally see himself as he truly was or he could never change. He thought he'd done enough and was one of the good guys now, and it was only the revulsion on Buffy's face that forced him to finally face who he really was. I don't think any other form of confrontation would have had that effect on him.

Taake

Nightmare, dressed as a daydream
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ugh, do we have to keep using the term "Spike hate", honestly, why does critiquing or disliking Spike immediately have to be labeled as straight up "hate", it disqualifies or ridicules the people making the arguments against Spike by suggesting they're just blinded by hate. :(

Anyway, I won't interrupt, carry on loving, I just get tired of the love/hate dichotomy that seems to suggest one opinion is better than the other.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
He's divisive for sure. A lot of people do love him though, not because he's a perfect example of a hero (spoiler alert: he's not!) but because he's a complicated anti-hero, who is morally and ethically reprehensible at many points during the show, and yet he does grow in character and emotional complexity and capacity.

And honestly, if it were anyone else playing him other than James Marsters, I don't think we'd have seen him at all post S2. JM brings such charisma and passion to the role. He's great, he has abs, I love Spike and whilst I don't agree with every decision the character has made, I like he's rough around the edges. Bad boys rock. :p

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I agree that had about any other actor played him then he'd be seen after season 2, unless it was the episode where he gets dusted

Stoney

Spiked!
Spike is incredible, my favourite fictional character. His arc is fantastic through the series, the back story they developed gave depth to the character and layered his choices/actions before and after, giving his development/journey great coherency. The writing for the character is just brilliant and JM brings so much to why Spike is just such a delight to watch.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences of course. But I hear the frustration at people that are apologists for some of Spike's actions. There is no need to deny his past, his limitations and his poor choices. There is no need to make him a special snowflake and that in fact does him no favours if he differs beyond his individuality, the same as other vampires are shown to. The AR was very important in his path as it showed him/the audience that no matter his intentions and wishes, no matter what his individual motivations, he was inherently selfish, limited in his emotional depth and moral capacities unsouled, and so it supports the meaningful separation between unsouled and souled in his story.

But I get equally frustrated by people diminishing his story as just a repeat of Angel's when they are different personalities that walk different paths. Or when his soulless actions are discussed as if they are worse than Angel's unsouled years, both of them are reprehensible unsouled. Sure Spike is my favourite character but Angel is one of my faves too. They both have great complexity, differing backgrounds, personalities, strengths and weaknesses. Fandom is most frustrating to me when the discussions shallow the characters and their stories to serve other character preferences. It isn't all the time and it can be seen both ways for sure, but I can't think of anything where this happens as regularly as when Spike and Angel are being 'compared'.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
It's hard for me to feel any strong feelings one way or the other for a TV character. I guess Spike is very divisive because he's more obvious. To me, Spike kind of gets the same level of hate as Xander does, though Xander doesn't have that balance of fans to defend him.

The only problems I have with Spike are created by the fandom and its glorification of Spike as a being of good and light, a special vampire, or he didn't enjoy killing, he'd never rape anyone ever, he's so loving and beautiful. I mean, I get it, to some extent, but to me it diminishes him to defend him as good and pure. Surely that's what makes him fun?

I like Xander more than Spike but from what you see in the fandom you'd think Spike was the main character or at least second billing.

Zero problems with Spike on screen.

W

WillowFromBuffy

The only problems I have with Spike are created by the fandom and its glorification of Spike as a being of good and light, a special vampire, or he didn't enjoy killing, he'd never rape anyone ever, he's so loving and beautiful. I mean, I get it, to some extent, but to me it diminishes him to defend him as good and pure. Surely that's what makes him fun?
Spike is evil Spike is bad. Still, his evil is very different from Hannibal-the-Cannibal-Angel. Not good nor pure, just sympathetic enough to be intriguing.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Doomstar Requiem
Black Thorn
Actually, I like Spike....and I like him with Dru. Period. He's a wonderfully complex and entertaining character. But he was RUINED by the whole "gotta get a soul" thing. And he became practically housebroken after he fell for Buffy.

He had some of the funniest dialogue on the show. "Oh, and if you're trying to kill her..." *thumbs up* :D

kReEsTaL
kReEsTaL
gotta agree… the soul arc was really boring. As Buffy said, "I like my evil like I like my men: evil".

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I just can't get behind the direction they took him in for season 6 and 7. Up until then he was interesting, then he stopped making sense and stopped being likeable to me.
It's a shame because I did enjoy Spike, I think he was at his best in season 4 but mainly season 2 when he was still snarky and evil.

Mylie

Scooby
I just can't get behind the direction they took him in for season 6 and 7. Up until then he was interesting, then he stopped making sense and stopped being likeable to me.
It's a shame because I did enjoy Spike, I think he was at his best in season 4 but mainly season 2 when he was still snarky and evil.
This is me. Also, appreciation threads are always a positive for me so keep this up! but I do want to say...

Why is it that people have to mention Angel in their appreciation of Spike? There's at least 3 posts so far mentioning him, one of them even baiting. Maybe people would stop comparing the characters so much if people stopped implying that people who hate/criticize Spike must be Angel lovers, because 1. it's not representative of reality, 2. you can criticize/dislike a character without it having to do anything with a character you love. Don't mean to turn this into an argument of any kind but perhaps something to take into account if you want to keep this thread positive.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I like Spike on the show. But the fandom has really soured me to his character. I don't like how some people make excuses for the bad behavior, the bad behaviors is the reason I liked him in the first place. I guess Spike is just that type of character that elicits very strong reactions, whether you love him or hate him.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Like most, I love evil Spike; he just makes being cruel looking so much fun. Spike in season 4 is very funny and pathetically entertaining. I think season 5 is Spike's best season, as we not only see his back story in one of my favorite episodes, Fool for Love, we see a transition from wanting Buffy Dead to being willing to die for her. It can be argued that he didn't really love her, but his commitment to her cannot be argued. Though Spike's arc in seasons 6 and 7 is controversial, I enjoy it for multiple reasons. 1. James Marsters still has the same flare and stays true to the character. 2. His actions reflect the actions of both evil William the Bloody and lovesick William the poet. Therefore he is literally a foil for himself, consistently. 3. His devotion toward Buffy is not only inspiring but very courageous and romantic, despite the major problems that arise during it.

Mylie

Scooby
My favorite episodes for him are Lovers Walk and Pangs. I think I like evil but pathetic Spike that is used as a comic relief and put in situations where the scoobies have to tolerate him. That's probably why season 4 is my favorite season for him.

flow

Scooby
Appreciate Spike ? Yeah, I am in !!

I adore Spike. I love Spike. He is the one and only reason I started to watch the series.

I haven`t seen (much) Spike hate on this forum. Not everybody likes him or his character development and story arc. But I see very few bashing or almost none at all.

and I have seen Such Spike apologists than I have gotten mad and hated Spike more just on principle.
I have seen that too, especially about the AR scene (but again - not on this forum) . It makes me go mad. The AR is an AR. There is no excuse to it. I am angry and disgusted about what is happening in this scene. I think everyone should be.

But I I agree with you that his scene was a logical, if not necessary conclusion to his story arc.

I love the way he changes in S7. I love the way Buffy reaches out to him and helps him. I love his devotion, his loyalty and his love for her. I love the way how they both complete their journey and how that journey leads them to each other.

flow

Top Bottom