• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike love

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Straight up, the reason I did and always will enjoy Spike is because of Marsters. His acting in terms of body language and expression was compelling to watch, and that's never really changed with rewatching over the years. I'm also from the school of thought that the show should have ended at season 5; I was happy with Spike's arc and how the show ended (generally).

Stoney

Spiked!
I genuinely have found it very surprising how many fans on this forum want Spike to stay evil and prefer him before the direction taken across S6/7. I've not seen that stated as often anywhere else. I think they did reduce the humour in the role after S4, and particularly in the last two seasons. I can understand missing that as he did always get great lines that JM delivered beautifully. But I wouldn't have swapped it and kept him static instead of the forward progression he got. Spike's arc across the series for me was an excellent illustration of what the show was about. We got to see the full journey, from one extreme to the other, of a character making positive progress, striving and becoming heroic and it worked so perfectly with his characterisation to follow that path.

Last edited:

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I genuinely have found it very surprising how many fans on this forum want Spike to stay evil and prefer him before S6, I've not seen that stated as often anywhere else. I think they did reduce the humour in the role after S4, and particularly in the last two seasons. I can understand missing that as he did always get great lines that JM delivered beautifully. But I wouldn't have swapped it and kept him static instead of the forward progression he got. Spike's arc across the series for me was an excellent illustration of what the show was about. We got to see the full journey, from one extreme to the other, of a character making positive progress, striving and becoming heroic and it worked so perfectly with his characterisation to follow that path.
I really think that Spike was on a progressive path (and a positive path) only up until the end of season 5.
Season 6 did anything but show Spike to be becoming good, or in a state of progression. Season 6 was definitely Spike's regression for me.
But this is a Spike appreciation thread so I'll just leave my thoughts at that :)

Stoney

Spiked!
I really think that Spike was on a progressive path (and a positive path) only up until the end of season 5.
Season 6 did anything but show Spike to be becoming good, or in a state of progression. Season 6 was definitely Spike's regression for me.
But this is a Spike appreciation thread so I'll just leave my thoughts at that :)
S6 wasn't really regression I don't think as he finally sees the limitation he was always working within and then reaches past it. So any sense of regression was really the removal of any illusion that he wasn't limited without a soul. This then leads to him becoming more than he could ever have been if he hadn't changed, and this indeed leads to him becoming a hero. I've got appreciation overspilling. :D

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
S6 wasn't really regression I don't think as he finally sees the limitation he was always working within and then reaches past it. So any sense of regression was really the removal of any illusion that he wasn't limited without a soul. This then leads to him becoming more than he could ever have been if he hadn't changed, and this indeed leads to him becoming a hero. I've got appreciation overspilling. :D
Well this is the best thread to show your appreciation so feel free :)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I really enjoy Spike's character but I do prefer him when he's evil especially in season 2, Lovers Walk, The Harsh Light of Day and In the Dark. I enjoyed him in season 4 as well but I don't like the direction things went when Spuffy became a thing. What I like so much about Spike in season 2 is that he adds dimension to a monster that Buffy's been slaying. You get to see the vampire side of things a little more, we see that Spike and Dru love and care about each other, Spike's agenda is finding a cure for Dru, not trying to take over the world, and it brings him into conflict with Buffy. There's a degree that both sides have justification for doing what they're doing rather than it just being a simple good s evil fight.

Spike was also fun. I love his snark towards the other characters. I get that they had to do something with Spike's character in order to keep him around but I kind of wish they'd done something different to what they did and not made him so Buffy focused. Spike is just plain awesome though and will always be one of the most iconic things about the show. :)

Stoney

Spiked!
Well this is the best thread to show your appreciation so feel free :)
:D

I really love too how well they have managed to keep Spike on such a progressive path post S7 that still feels true to the character. He has continued to face questions, uncertainties, fears, wishes over his purpose/path. It hasn't all been smooth sailing, but from AtS the canon comic seasons have seen the character reach some much needed points of self realisation as well. The writing also keeps working on the themes that run through his story, creating meaningful ties all the way back through the tv shows and yet continuing to move forward. I'm bias I know, but I honestly think Spike continues to have one of the most coherent journey paths and character development. It just never seems to get dull with Spike, you can always get more into his personal hang ups, his flaws and his strengths. As much as I wish that we could still see JM adding so much more, the comic seasons are still great in getting to continue to see Spike's determination, not always getting it right and sometimes losing his way, but then always ultimately managing to continue to strive onwards. :)

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
:D

I really love too how well they have managed to keep Spike on such a progressive path post S7 that still feels true to the character. He has continued to face questions, uncertainties, fears, wishes over his purpose/path. It hasn't all been smooth sailing, but from AtS the canon comic seasons have seen the character reach some much needed points of self realisation as well. The writing also keeps working on the themes that run through his story, creating meaningful ties all the way back through the tv shows and yet continuing to move forward. I'm bias I know, but I honestly think Spike continues to have one of the most coherent journey paths and character development. It just never seems to get dull with Spike, you can always get more into his personal hang ups, his flaws and his strengths. As much as I wish that we could still see JM adding so much more, the comic seasons are still great in getting to continue to see Spike's determination, not always getting it right and sometimes losing his way, but then always ultimately managing to continue to strive onwards. :)
I can't really comment on the comics seeing as I haven't read them but I'm glad that you can enjoy Spike's full journey. Everyone has different opinions and nobody's wrong so I think it's exciting to hear what people like you think of Spike even if I don't necessarily share your views.
I'm actually really interested in hearing from people who love the things that I dislike about Spike so it was lovely to read your post :)
James masters is absolutely amazing though, I think we can all agree on that :)

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Spike shows up in 97 episodes of Buffy (more than 2/3 of the 144 episode show) and 24 of the 111 episodes of Angel. He is my favourite character in both shows, not just because of his personality and his arc but because when he shows up, interesting things happen. His presence means the plot is going to be advanced somehow with him being the focus of it. James Marsters was the perfect actor for the role, with a realistic English accent despite being from Greenville, California and the looks and acting ability that suited the material. No wonder they expanded the role.

There is always controversy about the AR, but he sold it perfectly - the lead up to it made it the logical progression of what he was going to do and let's not forget Season 7 where he was in the church where he revealed to Buffy that his soul was restored and he said "Service the girl" and Buffy threw him into the pews after which he said "The girl doesn't want to be serviced" and he sold the insanity he had suffered from his newly acquired soul.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
so...I have always loved Spike until I joined this forum. Not to be rude, but there is so much Spike hate here. And it's legitimate...I have read so many good argument about why Spike is terrible..and I have seen Such Spike apologists than I have gotten mad and hated Spike more just on principle.

But he's a pretty amazing character. I don't care what anyone says..he's awesome sauce. The fact that he stirs up so much controversy and hate is proof that he is special.

I'll be honest..I love him. I don't even care about the AR. I know my girl card should be angry and disgusted,but I'm not. It fits his character...that was honestly one of the only logical conclusions to his arc. And it makes him better. I love that he fell for Buffy. The fact of a soulless Demon falling in love is an amazing story. To watch him work to be a better man made the whole series more interesting. His absolute devotion and loyalty is beautiful. Yes, it helps that JM is sexy AF....but he sells it wonderfully.

My point is that I love Spike...and Spuffy. And I feel we should have a thread of appreciation:)
I'm super careful which threads I read. There is so much Spike dislike here! But there is also Willow and Xander and pretty much backlash against every character. You'd think a fan forum would be more of a love fest! There are characters that annoy me *cough cordy cough* or bore me *cough Riley cough* but in the end they are all integral to the show and deserve some love. Not as much love as Spike though, he is second only to Buffy in my heart.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm super careful which threads I read. There is so much Spike dislike here! But there is also Willow and Xander and pretty much backlash against every character. You'd think a fan forum would be more of a love fest! There are characters that annoy me *cough cordy cough* or bore me *cough Riley cough* but in the end they are all integral to the show and deserve some love. Not as much love as Spike though, he is second only to Buffy in my heart.
I totally get what you mean, but it's only human nature to moan about stuff we dislike rather than compliment stuff we do like. :p

We do see the negatives in these characters (not just Spike, but most characters) more than the positives. I think a good character is made up of perfect imperfections. You see this in pretty much every character in the Buffyverse, Spike is kind of the epitome of perfect imperfection.

I do sometimes get annoyed when a non-Spike thread will turn into an anti-Spike thread for no apparent reason, but people have valid opinions on how they feel about the character, and to be honest regardless of my love for Spike or my Spuffy ship, I actually really enjoy reading a difference of opinion to my own. :)

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
I think it's those imperfections that draw me to BtVS...it makes fantasy feel real.

Stoney

Spiked!
This thread really does feel like it is about drawing clear emphasise to the boundaries as much as the love. Post S5 I still find Spike to be a superb character, we gain layers during his journey and through him becoming souled. He is still complex and how he struggles with who he was and who he wants to be develops so well from all that came before. :D

*Pls excuse a total aside: your banner is fantastic btw @Zenseem. Brilliant use/blends of the comic panels. I don't remember ever seeing the comic artwork used so well, kudos.

Zenseem
Zenseem
Thank you :) I really appreciate it

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
I love Season 2 Spike. The only downside of S2 Spike is that he makes it out alive. I like S3 drunk, pathetic loser Spike because he is still menacing. Only annoying thing is again that he escapes. While S4 Spike has his moments of funny, he's not evil enough, often tacked on in some episodes and I'm always distracted by the fact that he is not dust. After S4, urgh.

Stoney

Spiked!
So I was in the mood for a bit of Spike love and saw this fanvid in my files. Any self respecting Spike fan will no doubt have already seen it, but if you haven't you really should. It's just a muddled up mix of moments across the shows and the character arc, so a great way to spend 3mins for those who enjoyed the lot. :D

GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
I've seen it before but definitely worth the rewatch!

Antho

Scooby
I've always loved Spike. I am not difficult I like all the characters if they are well played by the actors and that the story is interesting. However social networks, forums influence me a lot, I must admit it. There was a period where on a facebook group where I am registered, I saw a lot of hatred against Angel and to be honest it came from the Spuffy fan. I loved Angel and that make me liked him even more because I found some words totally unjustified and the fact that Spike was being glorified by the same people made me hate him a little. Today I take a step back, and I totally assume my opinion. Before, because of this war between the fans of these two characters, I felt obliged to make a choice, now I dare say that I love both. I prefer Angel and the Bangel, but I love Spike and the Spuffy !

Some of my favorites moments :

Stoney

Spiked!
I've always loved Spike. I am not difficult I like all the characters if they are well played by the actors and that the story is interesting. However social networks, forums influence me a lot, I must admit it. There was a period where on a facebook group where I am registered, I saw a lot of hatred against Angel and to be honest it came from the Spuffy fan. I loved Angel and that make me liked him even more because I found some words totally unjustified and the fact that Spike was being glorified by the same people made me hate him a little. Today I take a step back, and I totally assume my opinion. Before, because of this war between the fans of these two characters, I felt obliged to make a choice, now I dare say that I love both. I prefer Angel and the Bangel, but I love Spike and the Spuffy !
I'm glad I don't go on social media for fandom, whenever anyone mentions it it sounds very antagonistic. o_O

Spike is my favourite character by far, but Angel is up there in my top 5 too. There are aspects of their stories where comparing and contrasting their behaviour and choices is interesting, and AtS 5 obviously really put a spotlight on their rivalry. But they walk their own paths, are at different stages of similar parts with different story foci, and are just very different personalities, so there is only so far that it is actually helpful imo. I can believe what you are saying about feeling pressed to choose between the vamps/Buffy. I often feel like my enjoyment of Bangel is dismissed because I'm most invested in Spike and in Spuffy as a relationship. As if that instantly invalidates my point of view on Angel or his relationship with Buffy. It does seem to be greatly the shipping that causes the excessive fandom tension around the vamps I feel, and even when the focus of debate isn't strictly their relationships with Buffy. It's how it feels anyway. Faith and Buffy get compared a heck of a lot less, and certainly with less antagonism from what I've seen. At the end of the day, if characters are complex, and you can rifle through layers when considering their stories, well, then they'll get a big tick for me and I'll be interested in their individual paths/progress. :D

Love the gifs. :) I saw JM say in an interview recently that 'Out.. for.. a.. walk.., bitch' is the quote he hears the most.

Last edited:

Antho

Scooby
I'm glad I don't go on social media for fandom, whenever anyone mentions it it sounds very antagonistic. o_O
It has positive aspects :
- Discovery of products of the series, fanart made by the fans,
- You look at the news of the series, interviews and projects of the actors,
- You read fanfictions, theories of fans, good comment respectful and reasoned,
- You speak with nice people sometimes.

But in the negative aspects, clearly it's the debates, especially on ship. I think people relate to a character or to a relationship and some don't support criticism (even if it's well argue) and they take all for themselves. Sometimes By reading some comments I even wonder if I saw the same series.

Stoney
Stoney
Ha! I know the 'what did you watch?' feeling. :D

Stoney

Spiked!
It has positive aspects :
- Discovery of products of the series, fanart made by the fans,
- You look at the news of the series, interviews and projects of the actors,
- You read fanfictions, theories of fans, good comment respectful and reasoned,
- You speak with nice people sometimes.

But in the negative aspects, clearly it's the debates, especially on ship. I think people relate to a character or to a relationship and some don't support criticism (even if it's well argue) and they take all for themselves. Sometimes By reading some comments I even wonder if I saw the same series.
Shipping is a fierce thing at times for sure and it is frustrating when one side want to totally dismiss and ignore canon to pull down one that isn't their preferred pairing. Sometimes I don't think it is consciously done though, subjective interpretation can lean to servicing a wish to find fault in the other relationship. Sniping happens around character preferences too, but I've rarely seen it get as automatic an edge to it as when shipping is present. :(

Another board I go to has tumblr so sometimes art I've submitted to challenges run on the board I've been asked to put on there, but otherwise I don't go on the social media sites for fandom at all. I can't see how I'd find the hours in the day to put even more time aside for BtVS. :D

Top Bottom