• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike love

GR83

Spuffy lover
I cannot be objective. I simply love Spike's character. I have trouble seeing the episodes Crush, As You Were, Seeing Red, and the last part of Ends of days and Chosen. I don't mind him being love's bitch, but I do mind that he's severely mistreated throughout his path to redemption (by the Scoobies, Angel, Buffy), possibly justified by all the "bad" he did in the past, but still... I think he deserved better, but it's only my opinion. I root for the underdog and I'd like to have seen him win in a bigger way than he did. I certainly miss the funny and sassy Spike in Season 7, but I like to see that he stopped being the joke and became a "man." I've watched the series several times and I always have a bittersweet feeling when it comes to Spike. He earns love (maybe a little too late) but he should have also earned respect. I'm a romantic at heart, I guess...

Last edited:
Black Thorn
Spike is one of my favourite characters without a soul or with a soul ( but Spike with a soul is more entertaining in Ats). I thought his character in season 2 was awesome and I enjoyed watching him develop as a character.
I know people keep saying about all the awful things he does but he is literally a demon with no moral compass for the majority of the show. His actions do make sense but there are many stupid ones, clearly. His actions don't need an excuse that apologists keep trying to come up with, the only excuse is that to him it made sense at the time but he doesn't really think about anyone but himself. I treat Spike's situation the same way I treat Angel, both are completely responsible for their actions with a soul, and I don't blame the actions of the soulless versions of them on the characters with a soul.

Black Thorn
I agree. The scoobies don't have to like Spike, but there's nothing wrong with being civil.
I definitely agree, Anya seemed to get a complete pass on the fact she was a vengeance demon by choice whilst she had a soul but Spike was trying to help, even if it's because of his selfish love for Buffy and yet they were constantly horrible to him.

katmobile

Scooby
so...I have always loved Spike until I joined this forum. Not to be rude, but there is so much Spike hate here. And it's legitimate...I have read so many good argument about why Spike is terrible..and I have seen Such Spike apologists than I have gotten mad and hated Spike more just on principle.

But he's a pretty amazing character. I don't care what anyone says..he's awesome sauce. The fact that he stirs up so much controversy and hate is proof that he is special.

I'll be honest..I love him. I don't even care about the AR. I know my girl card should be angry and disgusted,but I'm not. It fits his character...that was honestly one of the only logical conclusions to his arc. And it makes him better. I love that he fell for Buffy. The fact of a soulless Demon falling in love is an amazing story. To watch him work to be a better man made the whole series more interesting. His absolute devotion and loyalty is beautiful. Yes, it helps that JM is sexy AF....but he sells it wonderfully.

My point is that I love Spike...and Spuffy. And I feel we should have a thread of appreciation:)
Totally we need to stick together. If it's any consolation I've just joined the Chpperish discord channel and had a merry old bitch about the Bangel extremists on there.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Totally we need to stick together. If it's any consolation I've just joined the Chpperish discord channel and had a merry old bitch about the Bangel extremists on there.
@GraceK is actually a Bangel fan AND a Spike enthusiast. Crazy right?! :D

Regarding the OP. I really love Spike in s4. During my last re-watch he was one of my favorite characters of the season. I also enjoy him a great deal in s2 and his role in Lovers Walk. But s4 is my fav Spike season.

GraceK
GraceK
He’s such a lovable rogue in season 4 😂

katmobile

Scooby
I'm super careful which threads I read. There is so much Spike dislike here! But there is also Willow and Xander and pretty much backlash against every character. You'd think a fan forum would be more of a love fest! There are characters that annoy me cough cordy cough or bore me cough Riley cough but in the end they are all integral to the show and deserve some love. Not as much love as Spike though, he is second only to Buffy in my heart.
Some of the discussions here are interesting but the hate does get to me especially since it seems so ingrained and so dogmatic with some people. Honestly I'm more receptive to love anyway. So many people don't get you don't big up a character by doing down another character. The people who've made progress with me don't do that for example Dawn fans.

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
So re-watching BVTS now, I find myself watching Spike, amused by some of his antics but also admittedly seeing him being right telling Buffy what's what when she tries to blame him for stuff. E.g when Buffy went to his crib to tell him off about Dawn finding out she was the key.

So while I'll never be a Spike fan, I appreciate that he can be an interesting and funny character and that he clearly has fans who love the bone off him.

He's just not a character whose journey I ever got emotional invested in. I see him primarily as a villain and boring old me just dont click with those sort of characters.
But I do see he's an essential character for the show irrespective of whether I feel it should have lasted to the end of BVTS, ATS and beyond.

GR83

Spuffy lover
Maybe a bit off topic, but one of my favorite scenes of Spike is actually with Faith in Dirty Girls (Season 7). I don't ship them and I have conflicted feelings about Faith, but there's a great energy and amazing chemistry between the two actors. This dialogue gets me every time:

"SPIKE takes a smoke as Faith eyes the chains mounted over the bed. He notices:

SPIKE: Right. Not what it looks like-
FAITH: Hey, to each his own, man. This one guy I ran with, he liked me to dress up like a school girl and take this friggin' bull-whip, (gestures like she's using a whip) and I'd be like—
SPIKE: I got dangerous for a while.
FAITH: This before the soul or after?
SPIKE: After. But I'm over it. In case you get feeling dust-happy again after your long incarceration.
FAITH: Not if you're all repent-y. Takes the fun out of it.
SPIKE: You had the power to walk away anytime. Nothing to stop you.
FAITH: I stopped me. (then) I got dangerous for a while.

They connect on this. Meet eyes.

SPIKE: You over it?
FAITH: More or less. I pull for the good guys now.
SPIKE What's the "less?"
FAITH: Usual stuff.
SPIKE: Such as?
FAITH: (grins) I was thinking about looking up the guy with the bull-whip. Long incarceration.

Spike smiles a little. Likes this girl.

SPIKE: (chuckles) You could do better. School girl thing's old hat.
FAITH: It's all old-hat, man. (shrugs) Every guy's got some whack fantasy. Scratch the surface of any granola-type dude—naughty nurses and horny cheerleaders. (shrugs) I figure, if you can't beat 'em—
SPIKE: Join 'em.
FAITH: Just don't forget who's on top.
SPIKE: That, I suspect, would be you.
FAITH: (grins) You got that right.

Things are getting a little hot between them now. Faith plops on the end of Spike's cot, eyeing him."

Last edited:
GraceK
GraceK
I’m always like “ back bitch “ when I watch this scene 😂😂😂

Btvs fan

Scooby
Spike is one of my 3 fave characters (Faith and Buffy) and I love as the Anti hero and is the perfect love interest for Buffy imo

K
katmobile
My other fav is Willow but yeah totally cosigning the rest of it I appreciate Buffy more these days

katmobile

Scooby
I thought people might be interested in this -

I've always loved Spike. I am not difficult I like all the characters if they are well played by the actors and that the story is interesting. However social networks, forums influence me a lot, I must admit it. There was a period where on a facebook group where I am registered, I saw a lot of hatred against Angel and to be honest it came from the Spuffy fan. I loved Angel and that make me liked him even more because I found some words totally unjustified and the fact that Spike was being glorified by the same people made me hate him a little. Today I take a step back, and I totally assume my opinion. Before, because of this war between the fans of these two characters, I felt obliged to make a choice, now I dare say that I love both. I prefer Angel and the Bangel, but I love Spike and the Spuffy !

Some of my favorites moments :

I understand how you feel because I encountered it in reverse and I've had to work hard and have help from people who love both chracters like Lani to get giving Angel a fair shake. It's sometimes a vicious circle X fans hate y and their hatred poisons X for y fans who then futher rag on X alienating more of x's fans and so it goes on. I'd recommend The Elect and the Damned which gives a framework to understand both chracters without one being superior to the other as I think that superiority delusion fuels the fire and is profoundly unhelpful.

telperion66

Potential
Spike's first season (Buffy season 2) will always be his best.

The performances of James Marsters in season 2 were truly something to behold, sent from heaven as it were.

I feel the strength of his performances waned over the subsequent years; presumably most of this was due to the creative direction given to his character by the writers.

Angel6

Potential
Spike was one of my favourite characters too up until about season 6, I hated where they took him from there. Really didn’t enjoy Spuffy, and actually thought it would’ve been more interesting if he continued to do good things without a soul. Also the fact we got to know (and love Spike) without a soul, meant that for me he didn’t really change tangibly when he got one anyway. It would have meant that Angel and Spike were still unique and both special in their own ways if they’d gone that route.

Funnily enough I really enjoyed him again in Angel season 5 when he was away from Buffy.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Evil Spike is the best.

I actually think the character was dumbed down a little in later seasons because in Season 2 he was quite intelligent and highly competent.

S

SpikeRocks

No other character "strikes a chord" with me as Spike does. I relate to them all at different times, and in different ways, but in terms of who I identify most with, it's Spike. My identifying makes me most sympathetic to him, as does everyone's "spirit animal character". He's the ultimate underdog and outcast throughout his entire journey, from human to ensouled vampire, and has zero support for change (sans Buffy S7) and faces constant criticism for being inherently "not enough" and "other". I think most of the other verse characters are underdogs and outcasts as well, in their own way....but they just don't hit me the same way at all.

Here's a fun little article:

And some of the passages that hit on why I 💗 Spike:

"Cumming’s comment, written prior to Spike winning his soul, captures how deeply Spike’s journey resonates with many Spike fans as, essentially, the heroic story of someone trying to be better than they are supposed to be. The attraction of the story is the inspirational possibility inherent in the fact that we do not have to be defined by how we start out or by how others see us. The fact that it is an uphill battle for the character, that he is unsupported by any other character in his struggle to fight against the basic vampire bent of his nature (with the possible exception of Dawn in season five), accounts for partisanship on a part of the Buffyverse audience ranged against both the Scoobies and textual canon.

Spike fans are particularly aware of the irony of an unsouled Spike’s catch 22 situation as the only vampire to want to do good without a soul. He is canon’s underdog and fan partiality to the character and his fate, particularly when the storyline looks grim for him, leads to identification with his status. “We risk a lot as Spike fans, because he doesn’t have the same safety net as the Scoobies. He *could* go evil again. He probably won’t, but the tension is always there. He’s not ‘one of the heroes’ even if he is, in Joss’s words, on an Ulyssesian journey. So I guess that’s part of our burden to bear as Spike fans. He’s an underdog and we’re underdog fans. It’s frustrating, but understandable..” (Rowan, Tabula Rasa). This sense of engagement with the character’s fate reflects the dramatic tension implicit in the possibility that Spike could fail in his quest for redemption. Fans such as Rowan respond to the fact that a man, however ostensibly monstrous, is struggling to change against his nature and in conditions of adversity because no other significant character in the show sees his redemption as possible.

This potential for change resonates deeply with many Spike fans because it says something about the capacity of all of us to change as well. It is harder, perhaps, to identify as closely with the more heroic characters, souled as they are, of whom Buffyverse canon is more easily forgiving and whose moral fate is less consistently uncertain.

The incident mentioned in the above quote, the beating from Glory to save Dawn, and the summer after Buffy’s death when Spike continues to help the Scoobies with no hope of Buffy ever knowing are three such occasions. The lack of recognition of this altruism by other characters, and the assumption that it is not enough because he lacks a soul, is given a rare voice..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Serenityrose

Townie
I love Spike. He's my favorite character.

Whether people hate him and constantly find fault in his character or people excuse every bad deed the character has ever done doesn't really affect that for me because onscreen he was still an amazing character that evolved and went on a journey. Fan reaction doesn't negate the greatness of the character for me.

Now as to Spike 'apologists', I think it comes down to how fans relate to certain characters. With some characters fans can just understand their motivations and feelings more than others. I think if you do that you're more inclined to not just write something off as bad or evil or wrong. You see the complexities in some things.

For me I'm a Spike fan because he's failable. I love that he struggles and makes bad choices. That he can be petty and selfish at times. I love it because it makes the times that he does make the right choices all the more meaningful. When he's selfless and heroic and loving. I like the complexities.

Top Bottom