• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike or Angel.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
By Season 7
Everyone had concrete answers to whether they thought Buffy's best boyfriend was Spike or Angel.
Who do you choose and why?
You might have guessed I'm team Spike and Buffy all day.
How about y'all?

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I really love that you did this thread. Thank you!!
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Neither was her boyfriend at the end of the season.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Or you could go over to the Loverswalk - Battleship Section and look at literally like 90% of the threads there. LOL But since you asked - Spike was never Buffy's boyfriend in the TV series. So its between Riley and Angel. I think Angel was the better boyfriend.
Sorry I'm new here I didn't know what that meant yet .!!!

Mrs Gordo

Angel-holic
Black Thorn
Sorry I'm new here I didn't know what that meant yet .!!!
No problemo! You should go check it out, its a fun section filled with tons of fun commentary! :)

What about Scott Hope, @dcai0830? I thought you were a big Scuffy.
Ugh HOW could I forget the great Scott Hope era! Ahh Scott Hope and his Buster Keaton obsession. Yeah.. its tough but I'm still gonna go with Tall Dark and Hottie ;)

Well by the end of s7, Buffy clearly needs to be on her own for a while so she can get her shit together, because at this point in the series Buffy has lost herself and she needs to regain a sense self in absent of any man, which is why I believe her cookie dough speech is appropriate.

However, once she is done baking- Angel is the obvious choice.
After 2 seasons of miserable, never smiling, unrecognizable, non-quipping Buffy- we get one appearance of Angel and BAM Buffy's back.
They truly loved each other, and if it hadn't been for the curse I believe they would have tried to make it work, at least until her out-aging him became a significant problem.

I just don't see any love between Spike and Buffy.
I see obsession (Spike) and convenience (Buffy).
And sorry y'all but obsession and convenience is NOT love.
Obsession= psychotic, dependent, and unhealthy
Convenience= apathy to find something better

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Well, Buffy and Angel were over after S4, the only reasons they kept coming back to it - like Forever and End of Days/Chosen - were to keep the fans on their toes. However, that being said, I don't know that I would say Spike, either. Neither of them were, in the long run, really what I would call good for her, though I prefer Spike as a character and I rather like the way he loves Buffy.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
You clearly don't understand the shows and why they were apart.
I believe her cookie dough speech is appropriate.
Check out theology relating to Thomas Aquinas for the origins (?) of that metaphor (woman was an incomplete man, a half-baked male). I'm not sure whether the writers were aware of it. Aquinas also believed “If it were not for some [divine] power that wanted the feminine sex to exist, the birth of a woman would be just another accident, such as that of other monsters".

For reasons related to it I go with Spike - and his reference in Potential (which, IMO, marks the turning point in Buffy's feelings towards him) to a "couple of ribs that ain't quite set".

This - for me - alludes to an unravelling of biblical myths of women (encapsulated in Caleb's "There once was a woman, and she was foul, like all women, for Adam's rib was dirty—just like Adam himself—for what was he, but human"). It's the secularisation of such beliefs that are partly responsible for the abjection of women. Potential points to new beginnings - not just for Buffy and Spike but also in the framing of gender relations and otherness.

There are other reasons but this is one of my more objective ones. Whether Buffy/Spike is end-game or not is immaterial. It's what it begins that's important for me.

Willow Tara
Willow Tara
Oh my god. Thank you for this. It's so meaningful and beautiful. I love this.
Or you could go over to the Loverswalk - Battleship Section and look at literally like 90% of the threads there. LOL But since you asked - Spike was never Buffy's boyfriend in the TV series. So its between Riley and Angel. I think Angel was the better boyfriend.
I agree Spike was Buffy's abuser not her boyfriend , so that only leaves Angel, although I thought it was a bit like paedophilia in the early seasons
I suppose Riley was Buffy's only real boyfriend
Buffy loved Angel so it has to be Angel for me

K
katmobile
Quelle surprise it was a mutually abusive relationship but it got better as it was so was as they were both sick as they got better so did it. I recommend you watch the Angel ep 💓 throb and note how Angelus taunts Holst in the flashback it's shockin
Riley was a terrible boyfriend in Season 5.

I'm going to choose Angel because of the way Bangel was set up. That's not just something you forget about and Brush under the carpet.

I like Spike, especially evil pre-chip Spike, but he should've stayed with Dru. They work as a better couple and have much more romantic chemistry than Spuffy ever did.

K
katmobile
There's a difference between sweeping something under the carpet and it being an OTP there's also a difference between the feelings being there and it being possible to realise them. They will always love each but can never be together.
I agree Spike was Buffy's abuser not her boyfriend , so that only leaves Angel, although I thought it was a bit like paedophilia in the early seasons
Buffy loved Angel so it has to be Angel for me
I never understand how people see Angel as a pedophile.
It's not like he stalked her (for anything other than protection that came from the orders of the PtB).
He didn't do anything to her against her will.
I guess in some states it's illegal because of their age difference, but I'm sure a girl who had the weight of the world on her shoulders was much more mature than most 16 year olds. They do live in a supernatural world, not a humans law world.
Idk I just don't see pedophilia with them...

Willow Tara
Willow Tara
That's absolutely true IMO. (Although I'm not a Bangel shipper... this is true and well explained I think.)

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I never understand how people see Angel as a pedophile.
It's not like he stalked her (for anything other than protection that came from the orders of the PtB).
He didn't do anything to her against her will.
I guess in some states it's illegal because of their age difference, but I'm sure a girl who had the weight of the world on her shoulders was much more mature than most 16 year olds. They do live in a supernatural world, not a humans law world.
Idk I just don't see pedophilia with them...
I think its because of that one flashback scene where Angel sees Buffy for the first time and she's sucking a lollipop, it's kind of creepy. I'm more bothered by a TA sleeping with a student but we all have our preferences and pet peeves.
Still picking Spike though, they look great together, they're an amazing team and they have a deep trust between them. When Buffy needed help she went to Spike and he always helped her.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Riley violated any ethical rules - some if not all schools would have issues with. Angel i have more sympathy with, they were fellow warriors, & Buffy figured she would die soon; but it had no future without him anchoring his soul . Ceibacy sux.
I think its because of that one flashback scene where Angel sees Buffy for the first time and she's sucking a lollipop, it's kind of creepy. I'm more bothered by a TA sleeping with a student but we all have our preferences and pet peeves.
Still picking Spike though, they look great together, they're an amazing team and they have a deep trust between them. When Buffy needed help she went to Spike and he always helped her.
I think that scene is trying to emphasize how innocent Buffy is at that time, in order to invoke empathy from Angel. I don't see anything creepy in that scene.

As for the TA, I wasn't really bothered by that either. Many TAs are the same age as students if not younger than them. I guess it's just the teacher/student thing that can get sticky. It's definitely more bothersome than Angel. Because anyone sleeping with a TA could receive grades that they do not deserve. Nvm, I'm starting to be on your side about this one lol.

But as for Spike, not even going to say anything. I'm clearly a Bangel. Agree to disagree on that one!

Top Bottom