1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike The Devil You Know/canon

Discussion in 'Angel: After the Fall' started by cloneboi212, Oct 19, 2010.

1. cloneboi212

cloneboi212 Townie

I know the "canon" of IDW Angels comics published after ATF has been discussed over and over (with no positive conclusion) but I was wondering if Spike The Devil You Know has shed any tips/proof on wether or not the comics after ATF are canon? (I havent read them yet but I have seen they are linked to Buffy S8). I am trying to decide if its necessary to read any of the Angel comics after ATF to have Spike TDYN make sense. Sorry this is so confusing lol. Im confused myself. Thanks for any help guys !

2. racheltng

racheltng Potential

I don't think you need to read any of the intervening comics for Spike: TDYK to make sense. It's a pretty self-contained story.

3. Buffyverse Fan

Buffyverse Fan * The 28th *

Sineya
    Well there are a few questions in there, and I'll try to get to them all ;)

Is IDW's post-After the Fall Canon?
    A few months ago, the answer would have been a blanket no, but due to recent real world events, the answer is 90% YES.

Dark Horse, the Comic Book company that Joss Whedon primarily works with has recently reacquired the rights to the Angel Investigations team. Scott Allie (Chief Editor of Buffy Season 8, and soon-to-be editor of Angel) has made it clear that he hopes to include all of these recent Angel comics into the mainstream Buffyverse Continuity.

SIDE NOTE: The major plot-related canon issues from Kelley Armstrong's arc have recently been retconned/removed in-story in Willingham's recent arc.
    1.) TPTB having an "Angel Army" turned out to be a simple lie.
    2.) Spike was supernaturally ill, explaining the odd behavior.
    3.) Dez was killed.

Should you read the Main Title before TDYK?
    I'd say yes, but it's not a necessity. Eddie Hope, the Blue Devil, who is Spike's sidekick in TDYK is introduced in the main Angel title, and actually plays a much more significant role in the main title. Eddie has been a major ally/rival/enemy to the various members of Angel Investigations for about a year now, and is only getting more important in the story.

4. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    I love Eddie Hope! That is all. :)

5. Skytteflickan88

Skytteflickan88 Proud Spikette

Did he say he hoped to include all of the events? From what I gathered, he said the IDW comics "counts" but no more. Considering how a main writer, I can't recall who, for season 9 hadn't read all the IDW comics, I doubt they'll even mention more than a few events.

I don't know, Eddie's story was never finsihed, it kind of ended half way through, because of the license going back to darkhorse.

6. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    It would be really awesome if DH would allow IDW to continue some kind of storyline for Eddie. Who actually owns Eddie? He's not a Whedon creation, so I would think IDW could do something with it, just not necessarily have any of the other Angel characters in it. It does seem pretty weird when you think about it- how a group that's been working with these characters & stories for years now has to just suddenly drop them.

Skytteflickan88: I wish they could have shared the license. So many many lose ends.
  7. Buffyverse Fan

Buffyverse Fan * The 28th *

Sineya
    [MENTION=2739]Buffy Summers[/MENTION], notice the Whistler resemblance?