1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spike's Half Lame Attempt to Kill Buffy

Discussion in 'Season 5' started by Blair, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    In "Fool For Love" does Buffy not even realise that Spike had a gun and put two and two together that Spike wanted to kill her?
    I mean, I know she had a lot on her mind- but vampire with a gun...?

Geobubbles likes this.
  2. WillowFromBuffy

WillowFromBuffy "My bowling shoe fetish is not the issue here."

I assumed she did not care. Buffy is completely broken down and her slayer instincts are off. Would it shock you if I said I love this scene? :p I think Spike would have been happy to let Buffy kill him. Seeing his heroine reduced to tears took all the joy out it, though.

Puppet, GoSpuffy and Priceless like this.
  3. Blair

Blair Vamp Blair

Sineya
    No shock at all. I get that Spike felt such emotion when he saw Buffy. Not exactly the fight he wanted.

WillowFromBuffy likes this.
  4. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Maybe she thought he had a penchant for clay pigeon? :D

I just don't think she even cares enough to acknowledge it. Her only thoughts are for her mum and the impending hospital stay. She makes no attempt to stop him comforting her, so she's just not with it at that moment.

5. Anyanka Bunny Killer

Anyanka Bunny Killer Squeak

Black Thorn
    Definitely one of my favourite Spike scenes.

Puppet likes this.
  6. Stoney

Stoney Spiked!

When Spike first enters obviously Buffy is somewhat distracted by the emotional gut punch she has just received. But I don't think it is that she doesn't register the shot gun, she just dismisses it. I think she sees his armed entrance for what it is, Spike's melodramatic response to his pride getting bruised. I don't think she believes he is any danger, perhaps Xander even told her of the chip firing when he pointed a gun before. Spike needed to bristle and feel like he had picked himself back up again and he is trying to regain his desired image, to be perceived as strong and a genuine threat etc. I think Buffy sees that, but simply has no time/interest to even acknowledge his attempt to get his swagger back right now.

It is a great scene between them. Spike drops his attempts at a front and just simply asks what is wrong, what he can do, and Buffy is willing to sit with him and accept his attempt to comfort her. Both of them are thrown by their emotional responses to others and it allows this moment together outside of the norm. Fantastic end to a fabulous episode.

7. margybee

margybee Townie

I don't think she registered any of what was going on. Her mind was in turmoil, confused, terrified. She certainly didn't see the gun -- or, I guess, if she did, then she didn't care at all. She probably knew Spike would never kill her.

Spike has always been good at listening to Buffy when no one else will, or just being with her when no one else will shut up. He listens when she tells him she was in heaven, when she's overwhelmed by life. Here, he sits with her, just sits, and tries to provide what comfort he can. This is the Spike I like. Once they start with the dirty stuff I sort of lose interest in their relationship. It's interesting from the perspective that Buffy is using him to feel something, anything, and that he's "everything she hates." But it stops being a meaningful relationship, one where they talk and listen to each other, and becomes one solely based on sex. That's less interesting to me.

Now, their friendship in season 7 -- that's interesting and meaningful and, by the end, based on mutual respect.

Dora and flow like this.
  8. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Add to that, how many times has Buffy ever been threatened by a vampire with a gun? (Once, by Darla, I think, but still, an anomaly, to say the least)It probably just didn't register, especially given her state of mind at the time.

9. buffy1990

buffy1990 "Every now and then, people surprise you."

Agree with others here-I think she just didn't care about the gun, or maybe didn't think he was really going to use it. I always liked that scene between the two of them.

But, speaking of Spike trying to kill Buffy, there is one scene that annoys me tremendously. In The Harsh Light of Day when Spike gets the gem, he fights her in broad daylight on campus. Where do all the students go??? Is no one concerned that a pale, leather wearing man is fist fighting a small blonde woman? Is Sunnydale so unusual that people will just turn a blind eye to the street fighter action right in front of them? Off topic, I know, but...these are the questions that haunt me at night.

thrasherpix: Concerned? No. Enjoying the show (with phone cams these days to post immediately to YT and such), yes. People only ACT concerned, but it's obviously an act to me.
    jls: all the students disappear suddenly and apparently no one has an interest in looking out the many windows! It is annoying. At least smart phones weren't around at the time!
    jls, Priceless and flow like this.
  10. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I think that's just part of the Sunnydale Syndrome where people don't see demons or vampires or wonder why so many die in strange circumstance. Or why there are so many people on PCP in such a small Californian town :)

buffy1990 and TriBel like this.
  11. Dora

Dora Potential

Yes this is why I have so much trouble with Spike in S6 , Spike makes choices..... is this the same Vampire who ridicules Buffy the morning after they have sex in wrecked is this the same vampire who held Buffy hands in becoming that tried to rape her who listen to problems that creepily ask her to go into the dark with him the whole inconsistent of writing the character Spike
    To me it makes Spike much worse than a normal Vamp or even Angulas because he can make a choice

crazysoulless likes this.
  12. EarthLogic

EarthLogic Class Protector

I have trouble with Spike for the opposite reasons. I actually found his S6 behaviour consistent with the demon he is supposed to be. It was the helpful and understanding Spike before that which bothered me more. He was just a bit too nice at times, to the point where there simply was no reason for him to even be a vampire. The scenes @margybee mentions are well written and very poignant in themselves, but when seen in the context of the show and it's 'verse they make less sense - he might have just as well been a brash-but-nice human bad boy (and yes his choice-making capacities make it more problematic). At least the destructive sexual relationship in S6 exposed his limitations. I like my evil, well... evil!

Dora, crazysoulless, Grace and 2 others like this.
  13. Dora

Dora Potential

Spike was always evil to me ,his love was a stalkers love an obsession he went overnight from trying to kill Buffy to wanting to get in her pants
    Take the fact that as soon as he thought his chip had stopped working he went out and tried to kill again despite knowing full well Buffy would be against it
    When Spike found out Buffy had come back wrong he accosted her taunted her, hit her, Spike had this sexual fantasy that he had both the Buffy bot and Harmony dress as Buffy, fight, leading to them have sex ....just what happened in Smashed.... pre planned? evil;? ,am I giving Spike to much credit
    Unlike most Vampires Spike made choices, he could act good when it suited him , just as he chose not to use the gun on Buffy but later tried to rape her.... he chose
    Riley said Spike was deadly ,amoral ,opportunistic. JM said Spike was evil ....I agree with them

crazysoulless likes this.
  14. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

@Priceless posted this on her profile today “Buffy Spits Out the Apple: Rejecting False Knowledge and Bad Faith By Victoria Griffin. It's an essay on the existential ethics of the 'verse and the problem of defining evil. It's worth a read.

Priceless likes this.
  15. EarthLogic

EarthLogic Class Protector

You know that remark was tongue-in-cheek, right?

Nevertheless it sounds like an interesting piece. I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

16. TriBel

TriBel Scooby

I thought it probably was - but it's an interesting read nevertheless. It's also an easy read (it's undergraduate) and given I had to do Benjamin last week and Adorno this week anything that isn't the damned Frankfurt School is okay in my book! ;)

EarthLogic likes this.
  17. buffy1990

buffy1990 "Every now and then, people surprise you."

*Snyder voice* "Gang related. PCP!"
    Ahhhh Sunnydale, how we love you...

Priceless likes this.
  18. RomanticSoul

RomanticSoul Scooby

Well Spike is fully lame, hence the best he can do in terms of kill attempts is half lame. Such a simple fact.