• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

SPOILER! Spoilers! Covers for Angel and Faith S10 Issue #23

gite63

Gone
Sineya

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Mike Norton (Variant cover)

On sale Feb 3

Archaeus attempts to lure the magic of Magic Town into the dysfunctional family he's building. But the sentient magic is young, erratic, and a danger to everyone. The team must come together to stop the Big Bad and his malicious plans, but to be a cohesive unit they'll have to learn to trust each other first.

SOURCE

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
They'll have to learn to trust each other first....

Uh-oh! CONFLICT! :D

Love the Faith and Fred cover tho! Watch out, Buffy and Willow, there's a new girl power duo in town!

white avenger

white avenger
The first one looks like Faith and Fred have been pumping iron (and, unless Faith has suddenly turned into a leftie, she's holding that sword wrong) and Illyria looks like she's about to go all Hell God on somebody.

Samuel Reyes
Samuel Reyes
Haha it DOES look like they've been hitting the gym

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
After reading the last couple of issues recently I really like where this is all headed. There's a real sense of building towards a conflict which has been sadly lacking over on Buffy.
I prefer the second cover even though its more stylized/cartoony.

I suppose trust issues means Koh/Illria right? Or maybe just Fred/Illyria. Still sounds good though.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
There's a real sense of building towards a conflict which has been sadly lacking over on Buffy.
Really? Do you mean the whole S10 was building towards a conflict or just the last couple of issues?

The first half of A&F S10: Angel solo, Faith solo, Amy, etc... are the standard definition of filler to me. The introduction (or just migration?) of Big Bad is very suddenly and kinda tonic/storyflow incompatible to what happened in early S10.

In contrast, A&F S9 has almost no fillers. Mohra blood, Harmony, Drusilla, Aunties, Quor'toth, Eyghon, Triple persona Angelus, Finale. Each one is meaningful and telling. Even the Harmony one tried to say a lot of things about characters.

What did Amy-becoming-rat-again arc in S10 want to say? It's like a 3000 volume long comic trying to come up with some material for volume 3001.

S10 Buffy has no tention, and everyone's lives are too easy, and there are too many fanservices. But at least each arc was more meaningful than random MotW...

Maybe I'm all wrong and all of those are foreshadowing or something of course. Let's see what happens next... and how many issues this season would have?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
The top cover is amazing. The use of negative space to create a body.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
The first half of A&F S10: Angel solo, Faith solo, Amy, etc... are the standard definition of filler to me. The introduction (or just migration?) of Big Bad is very suddenly and kinda tonic/storyflow incompatible to what happened in early S10.
It's very telling that the Angel & Faith's Big Bad "landed with a parachute" as we say here; Archaeus was created on BtVS, and I really don't know what people who only reads A&F think about that.

BtVS on the other hand is full of (good) stuff happening - and Big Bads that are plotting something big since the beginning.
  • The alliance with the New Rule vampires in order to eliminate the zompires and the discover of their new powers;
  • the arrival of kid Giles, Faith and Koh in San Francisco;
  • the discover that the Vampyr book is being rewritten and that even Billy is dreaming of the First Slayer;
  • The Scoobies and their new home (and how they got it);
  • Dracula, the book and Maloker;
  • Xander and Dawn breaking up, Xander and Ghost Anya, who may not be Anya after all;
  • Dowling and his friendship with Spike and Buffy;
  • the evil trio: Spike and Xander being controlled by the sirens, the Sculptor and its meat golens, the fight with the Soul Glutton in Sunnydale;
  • the Scoobies meetings with D'Hoffryn and other beings about the Vampyr book;
  • Spike rescuing cats and bringing them to his and Xander's apartment;
  • Harmony meeting with Will and Buffy about the new rules, trying to steal the book and later split S/B;
  • Vicky: same as Harm;
  • the crossover with Angel;
  • Andrew: stealing the book to try to resurrect Tara, drinking a potion and becoming strong, him acknowledging being gay;
  • the appearances of Hank Summers, Satsu and Dylan;
  • the army being back to the scene;
  • the arrival of the Magnificent Archaeus: him controlling Spike and fighting the Scoobies;
  • Giles being an adult again and his relationship with Buffy being strengthened;
  • Willow and Aluwyn, and her new job;
  • Spuffy: they being friends, later finally together, the mind walk, the “in love with” being said, the AR addressed as well as their insecurities.
In A&F, we have the magic of Magic Town, but till now it has done nothing but tell Nadira through feelings that it is afraid and giving her some tips to help Angel. Then, Dru appears to do Archaeus bidding (and she is failing miserable), a statue that seems important and Archaeus himself saying he wants Magic Town for him and his family. Nothing of that was hinted at the beginning.

S10 Buffy has no tention, and everyone's lives are too easy
I, for one, think that there is tension and their lives aren't that easy...

Last edited:

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
I, for one, think that there is tension and their lives aren't that easy...
It's just my feeling:

S1-S9: Buffy ambushed. Operating base assaulted. Home got trashed. Friends kidnapped.
S10: Scoobies invading demon nests and provoking battles far from home.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
It's just my feeling:

S1-S9: Buffy ambushed. Operating base assaulted. Home got trashed. Friends kidnapped.
S10: Scoobies invading demon nests and provoking battles far from home.
Yeah, I understand. But my feelings about BtVS S10 is the same as Angel & Faith S9: full of stuff happening. I'm enjoying A&F S10, but I feel like it is a more simpler plot, if you know what I mean.

thetopher

Sineya
Really? Do you mean the whole S10 was building towards a conflict or just the last couple of issues?
Just the last couple of issues really. I mean, the reintroduction of Drusilla was great, but Archeaus' presence and plotting has really ratcheted up the tension. Angel and co. seem to be thinking about tactics and taking the new threat seriously- at least the dialogue indicates that.

I agree that S10 A&F has been a bit all over the place for a while. Faith's trying to do her own thing, they introduced Koh and reintroduced Illyria/Fred as well as Nadira, the concept of new magic/magic town, and also its entire populace. There's a whole bunch of stuff that needs to be tied together.

A&F Season 9 was the definition of how to do a Buffy/Angel comic. Every arc is significant to both characters, there are plenty of call-backs to the show that are used to inspire new stories- Mohra demon, Egyhon, Whistler, Dru. and it has great pacing, some humour and some real character angst (Faith's Dad showing up was so much better than Buffy's Dad showing up).
I honestly don't know where that CG has gone. I think he's juggling too many characters and getting caught up in fan-service-y type plots.

What did Amy-becoming-rat-again arc in S10 want to say?
So far that first arc has easily been the weakest. Angel vs. Amy and Faith doing a rehash of 'Guarded' was so disappointing. But it got better after that- with Faith in the jungle rescuing Riley.

S10 Buffy has no tention, and everyone's lives are too easy, and there are too many fanservices. But at least each arc was more meaningful than random MotW...
I agree. S10's only decent bad guy has just migrated over to A&F to fight the new Fang Gang. Are we suppose to fear hypno-squid lady, corpse guy and soul sucker? That's a really tame trio that has barely done aything to any of the Scoobies.
We've just had an issue where Vicky and Harmony's sole 'evil scheme' was trying to break up Buffy and Spike during a MMA style fighting thing. It was kinda lame. Where's the threat to life and limb?
CG has this habit of beating us over the head with the character melodrama but so far he's fluffed some of the more threatening stuff. That portal opening thing- which is incredible powerful- isn't really gone into in any real detail and its only just being introduced. The Book of magic has so many questions marks hanging over it.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
(Faith's Dad showing up was so much better than Buffy's Dad showing up).
It was really great, but you cannot compare both because in BtVS it was just one issue dealing with it, not an arc - and it was all about Giles and Buffy and not about Buffy and her father.

The only problem with S10 is Willow - the lack of Willow. Core Scooby, powerful witch (with problems of addiction), dating a snake demon sorcerer... she should have a much more meaningful role this season.

Last edited:

thetopher

Sineya
It was really great, but you cannot compare both because in BtVS it was just one issue dealing with it, not an arc - and it was all about Giles and Buffy and not about Buffy and her father.
That's what I mean, the writers chose to do that 1 issue throw-away thing about Buffy, her dad and Giles. We really don't get to know anything more about Buffy in it- just reaffirm what we've known since S2- Giles is Buffy's father figure.
Wheras with Faith is a major character thing for her and leads to lots of angst.
The main problem for me about s10 is the fact that Buffy herself hasn't got a character arc separate from 'dating Spike'. It's sad.
You've got Xander/Ghost Anya, Dawn/reset memories leading to emotional angst, Giles/trapped between adult mind and child body, Andrew/making amends and coming out.
Oh, and Willow gets nothing- another mark against S10. How do you ignore one of the main magically inclined characters from the show when the season is about 'new magic'.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Oh, and Willow gets nothing- another mark against S10. How do you ignore one of the main magically inclined characters from the show when the season is about 'new magic'.
I think they already have nothing to say about Willow. She's all grown up. She was fully aware of her sweet, eager to please friends persona and dark, insightful persona. She turned them into something new (the symbolic representation of merging light/dark self in her miniseries). Now she's the most grown-up member of the group, having less flaws than anybody.

And she still decided to repress her actual power, no matter it's computer or witchcraft to hang with a bunch of kids? Just because she had an unstable history? The old Willow was long gone. She does not fit in the Scoobies anymore. She is perfect by herself. She no longer needs anyone to "complement" or "guard" or "fulfill" or "define" her.

Top Bottom