• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spoilers for Buffy #5

Angel6

Potential
I personally hope there aren’t loads of ensouled vampires running around. It really works better and is more poetic if Angel is the only one, and if Xander and Spike are both ensouled too-he’s hardly unique is he.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I'd rather there be a few souled vampires. It would make Buffy's slaying a source of contention. If vampires can be "cured" can she really be justified in killing them?

B
Btvs fan
Thats been the same with Demons anyway

DayDreamer27

Potential
I personally hope there aren’t loads of ensouled vampires running around. It really works better and is more poetic if Angel is the only one, and if Xander and Spike are both ensouled too-he’s hardly unique is he.
Unlike the original series, hopefully it's just Xander and Spike won't be getting one. But I doubt it. lol He has to have everything Angel does. At less of a price.

fauxindigo

Scooby
I've not been keeping up with this series, but is Jesse present?

Remember how fast Willow & Xander seemed to forget about Jesse after he died in The Harvest.. and he was only a vampire for a short time. I wonder if Xander is going to be a big bad or die pretty quick like Jesse did. It'd be interesting if Jesse was the one to live on in this series instead of Xander.

Also I think Willow ensouling Xander would be like a rehash of Angel being ensouled... but not really, if it was spun right. It could stop Xander from becoming a murderous fiend for a few hundred years like Angelus before finally being ensouled... but I think it'd be more exciting to see Xander as a full on villain like in The Wish.

Cohen

Warrior
Honestly it kind of makes me annoyed that Xander May be a vampire. The best thing about Xander in the original series is that he was human. He was the only human constant on the show. He grounded the scoobies because he was a constant reminder of what they were fighting for. Having him become supernatural, knowing Willow is already Wicca dabble girl, takes that away from him. I don’t like it.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
He was a convincing vampire in "The Wish" and he retained the personality we know of but he was also hooked up with Willow and the two of them were the favourites of The Master. Let's face it, until "The Replacement", he was something of a loser so having him be sired may throw a whole new dynamic into the story. They seem to be determined to shuffle the deck between what was in the original story and what will be in the upcoming issue, so maybe it will pan out.

Cohen

Warrior
He was a convincing vampire in "The Wish" and he retained the personality we know of but he was also hooked up with Willow and the two of them were the favourites of The Master. Let's face it, until "The Replacement", he was something of a loser so having him be sired may throw a whole new dynamic into the story. They seem to be determined to shuffle the deck between what was in the original story and what will be in the upcoming issue, so maybe it will pan out.
The fact that the primary male was more of a “loser” than the females was another aspect of the “female empowerment” aspect the show was known for. And let’s not forget, he was important as the only mortal, being the heart in the spell to defeat Adam, he was the brains behind killing the Judge, he lead many factions in Graduation Day, helped fight off the crazies in “The Gift”, and saved the world, because of his heart, in “Grave”. All because he was a normal mortal. He may have been seen as a “loser” but that was an important aspect to the overall story.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
"after the huge sacrifices she made last issue, Willow is still grappling with the consequences of losing such a monumental piece of her life." Hmmm... that's interesting.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
"after the huge sacrifices she made last issue, Willow is still grappling with the consequences of losing such a monumental piece of her life." Hmmm... that's interesting.
The descriptions do like to over dramatize though so it might not be as "monumental" as you think.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
The descriptions do like to over dramatize though so it might not be as "monumental" as you think.
You're right. Forgot all about that. It'll be !GASP! Willow you cut your hair! or some trivial BS.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Issue #5 preview

Okay, that doesn't look good at all. But by it doesn't look good I don't mean the dramatic situation, I mean the artwork and the dialogue. Granted, the dialogue was always hit or miss but some of that is bad. And the artwork is worse. It looks like a standard generic comic book again.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Issue #5 preview

That's supposed to be Buffy? That's as bad as some of the original comics where you couldn't tell Buffy from Willow. The chiseled lines and wide face at eye level do not look anything like Buffy. The lip colour is all wrong - it almost looks like VampBuffy in some pictures. And she needs a vampire to go shopping with her? Please tell me there is a context where this all makes sense. And the speed lines in the first two images appear to be lazy. I'll pass. They fail.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
That's supposed to be Buffy? That's as bad as some of the original comics where you couldn't tell Buffy from Willow. The chiseled lines and wide face at eye level do not look anything like Buffy. The lip colour is all wrong - it almost looks like VampBuffy in some pictures. And she needs a vampire to go shopping with her? Please tell me there is a context where this all makes sense. And the speed lines in the first two images appear to be lazy. I'll pass. They fail.
I just assumed it was supposed to be Buffy and their quality degraded (based on how the first issues were) but maybe it's not. It's Buffy's sister Dawn came to town.

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Buffy ripping arms off? When did Buffy become Angel on baby!Connor-laced pig's blood?

Buffy is not normally violent in a bestial, feral, demony way with her kills. Have Angel do a move like that or even more bloody and brutal (usually a lot of manhandling involved) and I wouldn't blink. Buffy prefers to just stake, behead or stab in a very clean, no-mess way. She is happiest when things just go poof for her. Feral faces while holding a severed arm is... not Buffy. Unless it's cave!Buffy.

And yeah, the artist seemed to think Clare Kramer (wide-set eyes!) played Buffy, not Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I have to say, given that I also read a lot of Star Wars and Doctor Who comics, it's PATHETIC how poor the art is for BtVS/AtS in comparison. Those two comic lines have massive quality control in comparison to this and actually attempt to capture some degree of actor likeness and immersive world-building detail. The pre-season 8 BtVS comics (yes, I'm going against the grain here) once they got past the ugly green vampire stage actually had largely better artwork than nearly everything since (with the exception of Angel & Faith, which put Jeanty's prepubescent Bobbleheads to shame). Later on in the tie-in media years, the art was quite lovely for both BtVS and AtS. What Marvel and Titan (and IDW before that) are largely doing right now for SW and DW just makes Dark Horse and Boom!'s low-priority efforts look really sad.

As soon as we got an artist that doesn't feel like their afterthought D-list team, we lost him.

As for the writing for Boom!, it's so disjointed and makes no sense that I am barely following it. It feels like Buffy meets Xander and Willow and in the next panel they're BFFs with absolutely no build-up or character moments. If they don't want to put any work into rebuilding the relationships, they shouldn't have shoved the shows that did that job for them in the trash bin. It feels totally half-assed, expecting people to be on board with it because they know the characters from before, and yet they barely act like the characters from before and have none of the backstory that got them there.

Some of the writing and characterization makes me wonder if the writers really understand the material very well, even if they're trying to "update" or reinvent it. In a few instances, I think the BtVS writer, in particular, completely doesn't understand who a lot of the characters are at all (Willow, Drusilla and Cordy are unrecognizable). AtS has already had a major continuity error with Angel not appearing in photography, but he has also been robbed of so much of his key backstory because the BtVS writer clearly didn't want him in her retelling. The scene where he does nothing to stop Drusilla from siring Xander is a good example of where he's also become a pod person who doesn't even act like his more timid season 1 self. This version doesn't want to help and become someone at all. And I don't even know why this group of Scoobies are friends. They barely know each other.

Last edited:
Angel6
Angel6
I have to say I really dislike the art in the main Star Wars title, it’s just traced over stock images.

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
I think the art is decent. It is still miles better than IDW and Dark Horse. I really like the close up of Buffy's face.
Buffy is not normally violent in a bestial, feral, demony way with her kills.
Yes, she is. Buffy goes postal on vampires if she's had a bad day at school. This takes place after a vampire has killed Xander. It's time for an impression of Ghandi. On the show, she rips out hearts, pulls flesh from faces, cuts off arms, strangles, bludgeons, sets on fire, burns a vampires throat with a cross, cuts a man in half, starting with his balls, etc.

Top Bottom