• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Sprusilla love

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I think Dru is more switched on than she presents herself to be. She does have that element of madness to her throughout all her appearances, but in Season 2 she just seems more "with it" than she does in later appearances (I'm talking in terms of episodes). She does have her moments when she flips out over seemingly innocuous things eg the flowers being "wrong" but she's more dangerous and less kooky in Buffy Season 2 (when the focus is on her, Spike and Angelus) than she is in Angel Season 2 (where the focus is on Darla and Dru is essentially the sidekick).
After years of Spuffy fanfic, I did a rewatch and was surprised to find Drusilla far saner than she is more often than not displayed by Spuffy authors. She doesn't just have 'bouts of sanity', it's more like bouts of insanity. It's fascinating to me and I'm definitely starting to see her differently, and as someone with far more independence than I used to.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
After years of Spuffy fanfic, I did a rewatch and was surprised to find Drusilla far saner than she is more often than not displayed by Spuffy authors. She doesn't just have 'bouts of sanity', it's more like bouts of insanity. It's fascinating to me and I'm definitely starting to see her differently, and as someone with far more independence than I used to.
Drusilla seems to get misrepresented in the fandom quite a bit despite being one of the most tragic and interesting characters in the Buffyverse. It's a shame we didn't get many flashbacks of her (but then they probably couldn't have shown Angelus' torment of her because of how dark it would've gotten).

Black Thorn
Drusilla seems to get misrepresented in the fandom quite a bit despite being one of the most tragic and interesting characters in the Buffyverse. It's a shame we didn't get many flashbacks of her (but then they probably couldn't have shown Angelus' torment of her because of how dark it would've gotten).
I think it was probably because Drusilla isn't the focus a lot of the time, most times she was important to the story it was in terms of Angelus/Angel or Spike. It's a shame though, I would have liked to have seen more of Drusilla.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think it was probably because Drusilla isn't the focus a lot of the time, most times she was important to the story it was in terms of Angelus/Angel or Spike. It's a shame though, I would have liked to have seen more of Drusilla.
Same. I do wonder though, it's assumed that Angelus would've tried to do to Buffy what he did to Drusilla, but is it possible that he might have gone after Willow instead and tried to drive her mad instead. After all, doing that would show that Buffy couldn't protect her friends against him which in turn would have an effect on her.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Most fans seem to think that Dru just ditches Spike in favour of Angelus. There is evidence that shows this is categorically not true.
And that is why I feel annoyed by people who fail to see this. You cannot argue with the clearly obvious. It is a waste of time to argue with facts because you cannot change facts. It would be like arguing that George Washington wasn't the 1st president.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Also this is the Sprusilla love thread, NOT the Unnecessary, dense, bashing of Sprusilla.
I love Spike and Drusilla. I don't think their love would be any grander if I believed Drusilla suffered from Stockholm's Syndrome.

If a person has Stockholm's Syndrome, your emotions are your emotions. Attachment to an abuser isn't fake love. It is unfortunate love, at best.

I love Spike and Drusilla, but Drusilla wants the Whirlwind back and Spike doesn't, and so they come to blows. I don't think Drusilla loves Angel the ways she loves Spike, but she couldn't abide his collusion with the slayer, nonetheless.
It would be like arguing that George Washington wasn't the 1st president.
All right. John Hanson was the first president of the United States.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I enjoy the Spike and Dru scenes cos they have great chemistry. Vampire romances in the Buffyverse tend to have a perverted nature to them, with mother/son vibes with Darla and Angel, Dru and Spike. It's a very interesting family dynamic when Angelus shows up. As for the Angelus relationship, I think it comes across that Dru is more awed by Angelus and Spike is more like a pet. It definitely feels like Dru has the power over Spike and Angelus has the power over Dru. I think if it came down to it she would follow Angelus and ditch Spike. She has this underlying compulsion to get her daddy back.

AstridDante

Potential
I liked elements of the Spike/Drusilla relationship but at times it bordered on the owner and her pet type scenario which I didn’t appreciate. I liked her insight into Spike’s love for ‘the slayer’

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I liked elements of the Spike/Drusilla relationship but at times it bordered on the owner and her pet type scenario which I didn’t appreciate. I liked her insight into Spike’s love for ‘the slayer’
The Fool For Love break up scene was a blatant retcon of what Spike said happened in Lovers Walk. Aside from "Brazil" and "Chaos Demon", nothing else matches, not the setting and certainly not what was said.

I don't think Spike and Dru bordered on owner and pet. They were an equal partnership. Spike was in charge before he got injured but he still listened to Dru at times and she listened to him.

FaithLehane16

Excuse me, but if there's a relationship that borders on owner/pet scenario it would be Angelus/Dru.

burrunjor

Potential
A very interesting relationship that helped flesh both characters out and add more to the Vampires of the series.

I loved the evil inhuman Vamps of season 1 (they are probably still my faves) but this was a great contrast to them and show there were many sides to the Vampire society and race.

The flashback scenes with the Whirlwind were always great too. I would have liked to have seen what the Whirlwinds relationship was to the Master. Since they were his bloodline was he proud of them?

As for in universe I don't think you can say Dru was a good girlfriend to Spike LOL, but I do think they loved each other. I see it as being Vampires can love, but because they have no remorse then they think nothing of hurting their spouses.

This explains Spike raping Buffy, Dru thinking nothing of cheating on Spike with The Immortal or Angelus, the Master loving Darla like a father, but being willing to harm her in The Harvest when they bring him Jessie.

Spike meanwhile clearly because of who he was in life was a bit more sensitive than other Vamps, but he still lacks empathy which means even he can still hurt the women he loves, like decking Drusilla, raping Buffy, enjoying sado masochistic games with Buffy LOL.

Vampires are capable of some nobility, but it's often I think because they are fanatical rather than true nobility. Spike being willing to die for Buffy can be seen as comparable to Vamps willing to die for The Master or Kakistos.

Spike and Dru were the Sid and Nancy of Vampires, Spike on his own was the Johnny Rotten of Vamps, whilst Spike and Harmony are the Joker and Harley Quinn of Vampires and finally Spike and Angel are the Frasier and Niles of Vampires LOL.

Puppet
Puppet
I'd really appreciate you not calling it 'raping Buffy' when it didn't actually happen.
FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
@Puppet it almost actually happened.
DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
It was attempted rape, not actual rape.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
@FaithLehane16 and if I almost kill you, you're still alive, aren't you?

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
That would be attempted murder :P Like the mermaids out of Peter Pan "we were only trying to drown her."

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Ov Fire and the Void
Black Thorn
Spike and Dru were definitely the most interesting couple in the Buffyverse. James and Juliet had BRILLIANT chemistry, and played off each other like they were born to do it. It's always a joy to see them together. And yes, I also love the Whirlwind very, very much (though David's limited acting ability was a bit obvious in an ensemble scene).

Even though Juliet's accent was a bit hit and miss, she still managed to make us believe her character. I LOVE Drusilla. More to the point. I love Drusilla with Spike.

Spike and Dru were the Sid and Nancy of Vampires, Spike on his own was the Johnny Rotten of Vamps, whilst Spike and Harmony are the Joker and Harley Quinn of Vampires and finally Spike and Angel are the Frasier and Niles of Vampires LOL.
My God, that's brilliant! And spot on. I love it. You are my hero today. 😂

FaithLehane16

I'm just wondering why my most recent Sprusilla gifset is taking a long time getting notes????!!!! It took me several of hours to do. Trying to do colorful gifsets takes A LOT of time and energy. It is good the way it is.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
As for in universe I don't think you can say Dru was a good girlfriend to Spike LOL, but I do think they loved each other. I see it as being Vampires can love, but because they have no remorse then they think nothing of hurting their spouses.
I think you're being a bit harsh on Dru. In my opinion Angelus trained Dru to behave the way she does towards him, it's why Spike doesn't blame her. He isn't blind to her faults because he's quick to call her out on the Chaos Demon but I think he knows that Dru isn't setting out to deliberately hurt him. Don't forget there was 20 years between Dru being sired and Spike being sired. That means Angelus had 20 years to train her. He'd already driven her mad and sired her so her torment would last forever, do you really think he wouldn't train the once "chaste and pure" victim to be his own personal whore?

Also people seem to think that Dru just ditches Spike when Angelus is back on the scene but she doesn't, she's actually sleeping with both men as Angelus refers to her giving Spike "pity access". Since Spike is no longer top dog at that point due to being unable to defend his position, there is no benefit to Dru to continue sleeping with him yet she does so because she loves him. She's just doing what she's been trained to do with Angelus, she chooses to still sleep with Spike of her own accord.

Let's not forget that Dru was looking after a wheelchair bound Spike, again there's no benefit for her to do so. She chooses to do so of her own free will.

This explains Spike raping Buffy,
Spike didn't rape Buffy, he only attempted to. Also he was horrified by what he did/could've done so it's not like he set out to do that.

Dru thinking nothing of cheating on Spike with The Immortal or Angelus,
I think the Immortal releases some kind of pheromone that makes women find him irresistible. Darla also slept with the Immortal.

See above for why I don't count Angelus as Dru "cheating" on Spike.

the Master loving Darla like a father, but being willing to harm her in The Harvest when they bring him Jessie.
Darla is the Master's favourite, however he's also the head of a vampire pack and so has to be seen keeping people in line. The alpha always gets first pick, if that is undermined by lower ranking vampires then the hierarchy starts to fall apart.

Spike meanwhile clearly because of who he was in life was a bit more sensitive than other Vamps, but he still lacks empathy which means even he can still hurt the women he loves, like decking Drusilla, raping Buffy, enjoying sado masochistic games with Buffy LOL.
He didn't rape Buffy.

He and Drusilla were fighting, Drusilla punched him as well. In fact Spike saved Buffy's life by keeping Drusilla distracted whilst she was fighting Angelus. Dru was the one that tackled him when he was beating Angelus with the crow bar.

S&M is more complicated than just hurting someone. It's often built on the basis of trust (hence why Spike asked Buffy "do you trust me" when he pulled out the handcuffs) and although the submissive is handing control to their partner, they still have the power to stop the experience by saying a previously established safe word. SPike and Dru enjoy bondage.

Spike and Harmony are the Joker and Harley Quinn of Vampires
I disagree. The Joker and Harley Quinn are their own brand of crazy, and although they do have their own brand of twisted love, it's not really comparable in my view.

Spike gets annoyed with Harmony, but there is a level of respect there to a degree. They'd clearly discussed having a threesome at one point but Harmony only agreed if it was "boy, boy, girl or Charlize Theron" which obviously Spike disagreed to so they didn't do it. If Spike had no respect for Harmony, why would he care what she says?

The Joker only "respects" Harley when she gets mad at him and is about to beat him up.

Spike and Dru were definitely the most interesting couple in the Buffyverse. James and Juliet had BRILLIANT chemistry, and played off each other like they were born to do it. It's always a joy to see them together. And yes, I also love the Whirlwind very, very much (though David's limited acting ability was a bit obvious in an ensemble scene).

Even though Juliet's accent was a bit hit and miss, she still managed to make us believe her character. I LOVE Drusilla. More to the point. I love Drusilla with Spike.

Sprusilla are the BEST couple in the Buffyverse. It's very telling how Spuffy keeps trying to take Sprusilla down (first with the break up retcon in Fool For Love which does not match what Spike said happened in Lovers Walk, then you've got Crush) rather than standing on it's own two feet. However, the joke is on Spuffy because not only does Spike mention Dru or she appears in flashback with him in every season that he's in, but the whole basis of him offering to kill Dru for Buffy is BECAUSE of how much Dru means to him. If Dru meant nothing to him then the gesture is pointless.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Ov Fire and the Void
Black Thorn
Sprusilla are the BEST couple in the Buffyverse. It's very telling how Spuffy keeps trying to take Sprusilla down (first with the break up retcon in Fool For Love which does not match what Spike said happened in Lovers Walk, then you've got Crush) rather than standing on it's own two feet. However, the joke is on Spuffy because not only does Spike mention Dru or she appears in flashback with him in every season that he's in, but the whole basis of him offering to kill Dru for Buffy is BECAUSE of how much Dru means to him. If Dru meant nothing to him then the gesture is pointless.
They take care of one another and understand one another. Their love is absolutely eternal; even if they get "distracted" by a Slayer or Chaos demon. 😂

Whenever they're onscreen together, I'm transfixed. I'm afraid I can't say the same for Bangel or Spuffy. I like Angel quite a lot...but he and Buffy are a bit boring, to be perfectly honest. Wesley and Cordy's little "reenactment" of Bangel pretty much hit the nail on the head! It was hilarious because it was so bloody true. And let's be unflinchingly honest here: it IS a bit creepy that centuries-old Angel stalked a 16 year girl, whether or not she was the Slayer. (Whereas Drusilla just happened upon William and impetuously decided to turn him)

Spike and Drusilla were destined for each other. No question. ❤

Last edited:

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
1 ) What's My Line (1 & 2) is my favorite Spike & Dru episode, the Sprusilla scenes are the best moments of this episode.
2 ) Surprise
3 ) School Hard, the Sprusilla 's entrance is ICONIC. Plus the last scene is amazing.
4 ) Crush, I love the Bronze scene with Key - Devics song playing at the same time Sprusilla's dance.
5 ) The Flashbacks from Lies My Parents Told Me & Fool For Love.

Top Bottom