• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spuffies, do you like Bangel even a little?

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
Yes! It's funny this came up cause I'm rewatching buffy and I just watched "angel"... I'm finding myself very much rooting for buffy and angel. They have great chemistry and I'm definitely wanting to smoosh them together. :)

white avenger

white avenger
I have no problem at all accepting the fact that Buffy was, and almost certainly always will be, deeply in love with Angel. Angel is Buffy's first real love, and she will never forget him or what they had together. Where I differ from more than a few Bangels is in the idea that she can be just as deeply in love with Spike.

H
hazzard
this completely

InsaneMystic

Ex-Scooby
In a word, no. I do think though that Becoming II was one of the best eps of the show, and probably one of the best hours of TV fiction in general. :)

LoveLoveLovix

Puella Magi
I'll put it this way: I get it. I respect it. I'll never be a fan of it. Yes, they have cute moments- I'm a romantic, I see why people ship them. But I just don't like it so much myself. As much as I love love, there's too much of this instant, dramatic love for me. I ship Spuffy cause it seems more real. And that doesn't work for some people. Some people like the fantasy loves, the instant and powerful stuff.

So I guess I'm saying I respect it, but it's not for me.

wickedtiger86

Scooby
Sineya
I actually really like Bangel. A lot. It's adorable and heartbreaking and totally wonderful.

But! I don't get the same deep feeling from them that I get from Spuffy. That's really the only difference for me. I just feel Spuffy a lot more deeply. And often find myself inspired by them,creatively. And that's something that's really important to me.

H
hazzard
[No message]

drizzlydaze

The Bloody
Black Thorn
I'm more neutral towards it. I think it's pretty boring, and I don't like the love at first sight stuff. That said, I love the Angelus arc and Becoming, though I think it would've had more emotional resonance with me if I actually believed in their love. Sometimes the soppiness makes me cringe and/or roll my eyes. I think the only time I really enjoyed it was Becoming and the part where Buffy kisses Angel in his vamp face. Otherwise, I just appreciate some of the good writing that comes as a result of Bangel, but a lot of it is just really bland to me, because I don't understand why they love each other even though it's asserted time and time again that they do.

hazzard

we merry few
in short, yes--i really like bangel. always have. i have no doubt that buffy will always love angel and there's a part of her that will never get over him; i can relate all too well.

i'm generally more of a spuffy shipper, though, because i think buffy and spike are each other's foils. their chemistry is incredible and their interactions are intense, violent, and passionate. i feel them much more deeply.

J
jellybean13
my thoughts exactly :)

BananaBuffy

Peanut Bear
I can admit to having liked them at points. I admit to the fact that Buffy and Angel will always love each other. However, there are many times where I do not appreciate Angel as a character therefore I find it harder to invest myself in the ship. As real as the love was to them both at the time, I find the Spuffy love to be a lot more...I don't know how to describe it.

I have had 'awww' reactions to Bangel in the past. I am a romantic myself, and if I didn't have those reactions in some scenes then there would have to be something wrong with me. However, I have had moments where the ship has driven me crazy onscreen. Even when they aren't together onscreen. The way Angel talks about her in season five of Angel (which I am watching for the first time) and the way he talks to Spike about her has been making me a little mad.

I appreciate the ship to an extent, but I guess it just doesn't always sit well with me.

Carina

Slayer
I actually think it was sweet, when Buffy and Angel were together in season 1-3. I didn't mind, and they had a lot of really good and romantic scenes together. I also do believe she loved him, I don't think she loves him that way anymore though, but that he is still in her heart.
I think Spike and Buffy are right for each other. There is something more "grown up" about that relationship, and it seems more real. They didn't start out as a crush and then fall madly in love.. they started out enemies, learned to know each other (in a wierd Spuffy way), learned to trust each other, grew closer, and love each other... I feel they have so much more to go on than what Angel and Buffy ever had. That is why I am a Spuffy fan and not a Bangel fan :)

I used to quite like Bangel - not as much as Spuffy of course - but season 8 really killed off any affection I have for the ship :(

Appelsapientje

Potential
I like Bangel, and I definitely think that Buffy is in love with Angel, but to me it always was a bit too 'perfect' , and then suddenly too dramatic, and I don't know, it's just not the thing for me I guess. But I don't mind watching the episodes with Bangel in them.

Ripper666

Home sweet virtual home!
Well I love Spuffy more than Bangel but at least I found both really adorable partners for Buffy. So why should I not like the Bangel or Spuffy-relationship?

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
I was wondering when this thread shows up :D

As for the topic of it...
I used to be a Bangel fan, before Spuffy was born. I was really into it. And I still do think their story is amazing in seasons 1-2. Season 3 is what killed it for me. I mean, if you ignore the birth of Spuffy. Though in season 4 of Buffy when Angel came to Sunnydale and fought Riley, I did root for Bangel. And I do still cry watching I Will Remember You; and Becoming really gets to me. As I said, it was really beautiful in the beginning. But how long can you go along with the fairytale story? It was way too dramatic. In season 3 they kept breaking up and coming back together every 2 episodes and that annoyed me so much.

I do believe Buffy will always love Angel. That's how it is in first loves. But first love doesn't mean last love. It doesn't mean that you cannot love anyone else again after your first love, or that your first love is the real love you're meant to marry and have kids with. That's why it was a beautiful story. But not something I'd follow for so long.

sisterofmercy

Ray of Sunshine..
I don't mind Bangel, I just prefer Spuffy. Bangel was good for what it was, i.e. a first love kind of thing, just as Spuffy is a good representation of a more complex adult relationship. Both pairings had their place within the show, just for me the more complicated relationship appealed to me more.

L
Living Dead Boy
[No message]

xaphania

Spike/Buffy
I don't like Bangel. I don't like Angel as a character when he's around Buffy, and I think they bring out the worst in each other.

That said, I don't deny that they loved each other during their relationship, but it's in the past; a first love for Buffy and the beginnings of Angel's redemption.

Spike and Buffy are far better suited, in my opinion. They have more chemistry, they fit together better and their relationship is for more interesting and real than Buffy and Angel's.

Z
zobothehobo
[No message]
Cheese Slices
Cheese Slices
[No message]

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
See, we're not as bad as the Bangels think! :)

As for why, I think Amy nailed it.

That said, you'd be surprised to find that I don't hate Bangel in S1. Despite Angel's creepy age difference, and how alarmingly fast Buffy falls for him, there is an innocence to their budding relationship that is endearing. Buffy is so happy, and I love me some happy Buffy. She deserves it.

But then everything falls apart.

Do I really need to say why I think Spike is better for Buffy? You've all said it for me.

CARPE SPUFFY!

AND REMEMBER:

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS SHIP BANGEL.

SallyCinnamon

You are my world.
I love Bangel. I have no issue with anyone who likes Bangel, because in general I agree, Angel was better suited to Buffy for a while, and Spike was also better suited, I just prefer the Spuffy dynamic and chemistry.

Top Bottom