• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spuffies : SMG and the ship !

Antho

Scooby
I have questions for the Spuffy fans : Does it bother you that SMG is a Bangel fan ? Do you have the impression that she shows too much love for David Boreanaz/Angel/Bangel and not so much or not at all for James Marsters/Spike/Spuffy ? Are you angry against her because you feel she mistreat Spuffy by favorising Bangel or because she doesn’t treat both couples equally ?

I’m asking that because several times when Sarah posted a picture wishing Happy Birthday to David, when she said she chooses Angel over Spike, or more recently at the reunion for the 20th Anniversary of the show, I always saw comment from Spuffy who are..... well disappointed I would say. That’s why I’m here, asking you all these questions ! Feel free to say what you really think, I want honestly answers, don’t be afraid !

flow

Scooby
I always had the impression, that she does like spike and James Marsters.

She actually tweeted something really cute for his last birthday and signed with "your pet". I thought that was sweet.

She just thinks, that angel is the one for Buffy. I am completely fine with that. She is free, to ship whatever couple she wants to ship. She isn't Switzerland. She is not obliged to be neutral.

It does not change, what I ship.

Flow

white avenger

white avenger
Does it bother you that SMG is a Bangel fan ?
Why should it? I've never been of the opinion that my view on any subject had to be supported by everybody, or, for that matter, anyone else. As long as she can present her opinions without becoming intentionally offensive to those who disagree with them, I see nothing to be bothered by.

K
katmobile
I don't treat her word as gospel but she's entitled to her opinion.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Just because the actress who portrays Buffy ships Bangel, doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things. SMG is exactly like us fans; allowed to ship what she wants, but not the be all end all of knowledge. Her shipping it doesn't take away from the Spuffy (or other) ships, so no, I don't have any issue with it whatsoever. In fact, I find it a bit adorable that after all these years she still shares such a positive view of her time on the show and her friendship with the actors.

Spuffy freak

Potential
She has the right to ship anyone she wants or prefer one ship over another what matters is that Sarah did full justice to her character when she was playing it we could see and love the chemistry between Spike and Buffy because of the way the actors performed it so there is no reason to be angry at her. Although Joss preferring Spuffy over Bangel does matter to me because he is the one who actually created and gave life to these characters

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Although Joss preferring Spuffy over Bangel does matter to me because he is the one who actually created and gave life to these characters
Actually I wouldn't care if he shipped Bangel, and I'm pretty sure the Bangelers don't care, which they shouldn't. Not to mention that Joss is constantly changing his mind from whether he's a Spuffy or a Bangel shipper, or hell none of the above. Joss himself told us fans to interpret whatever we wanted out of it and I'm taking that as 'permission' to do just that, screw what he ships :)

Priceless

Scooby
It makes no difference to me at all. Everyone, including the actors and writers on the show, are allowed to ship whoever they wish, and their opinion doesn't affect how I feel or what I see on the screen. Are Fuffy shippers upset that SMG doesn't ship Fuffy? Or any of the other thousand ships she could ship?

It does upset me when Spuffy fans demonise SMG for her feelings. It's completely uncalled for and can be quite scary. But I would think these people have underlying problems that have nothing to do with a tv show.

Antho

Scooby
It does upset me when Spuffy fans demonise SMG for her feelings. It's completely uncalled for and can be quite scary. But I would think these people have underlying problems that have nothing to do with a tv show.
Theses Spuffy fans posting this kind of messages are the reasons why I create this thread because I want to understand their reaction. Why they think SMG mistreat the ship. After, i’m conscious that all the Spuffy fans aren’t like that, @Priceless @flow @GoSpuffy @Stoney @PaulParmar1 @Puppet @Fool for Buffy and I don’t know maybe all the Spuffy on that forum are nice member and I appreciate speaking with you. And of course we can find this kind of people in other ship but since I’m only interest in Sarah’s Twitter when she posted something about her and David and Bangel, I mostly notice the hate which often come from some Spuffies who think she gives too much love to Bangel !

Stoney

Spiked!
Yep, pretty much the same as everyone else has already said. It's SMG's personal preference and she has every right to prefer one of Buffy's relationships over another. She has always made it quite clear she prefers the earlier seasons when the darker side of Buffy wasn't being explored and so her preference for the relationship that goes with that time makes total sense. I'm sure I read once her saying something about being a romantic and the love story aspect of Bangel obviously hits the notes for her. I did roll my eyes a bit when she said at the reunion that she 'as Buffy' would choose Angel, but it doesn't bother me because she isn't actually speaking for the character but just expressing a strong personal preference, which she is totally entitled to, as we all are. I really don't understand people getting angry at her and the idea of her receiving threats etc is utterly ridiculous and scary behaviour.

Theses Spuffy fans posting this kind of messages are the reasons why I create this thread because I want to understand their reaction. Why they think SMG mistreat the ship. After, i’m conscious that all the Spuffy fans aren’t like that, @Priceless @flow @GoSpuffy @Stoney @PaulParmar1 @Puppet @Fool for Buffy and I don’t know maybe all the Spuffy on that forum are nice member and I appreciate speaking with you. And of course we can find this kind of people in other ship but since I’m only interest in Sarah’s Twitter when she posted something about her and David and Bangel, I mostly notice the hate which often come from some Spuffies who think she gives too much love to Bangel !
I just don't know @Antho. I really don't get the notion of how she can be mistreating Spuffy by expressing her personal feelings in preferring Bangel. Anger as a response if she is positive about Bangel, as if that is somehow unfair, is just wrong, and a big step into weird behaviour to be honest. I've wondered before if there is an issue in ability to view the show as just an entertaining piece of fictional work, or in not separating the actors from the characters perhaps. Although that doesn't work still really anyway, because if Buffy in-story decided to openly 'pick' between the two vamps she would also have every right to do so. :s I know we are all serious fans who like to discuss the characters/relationships etc a lot more than casual viewers would tend to, but there is a line still and anger directed at a cast member like this steps well over it. I really just don't know what it is about. It makes it unhappily easy to see why celebs often try to avoid offending fans, it's quite ridiculous.

K
katmobile
I also think that her and David have a very strong friendship helps too but sent very sweet messages to everyone who played people Buffy was strongly connected to.

Antho

Scooby
I just don't know @Antho. I really don't get the notion of how she can be mistreating Spuffy by expressing her personal feelings in preferring Bange
I guess it’s because they are hurting in theirs feelings. They are probably passionate. I’m passionate with the Buffyverse and when people say something bad on Buffy or Angel (series) I’m always intrigued and can’t stop myself to respond at this person, and the debate starts. But I’m passionate in a good way, I would discuss politely with that person, I would bring arguments like : there are good characters development, great dialogues, some metaphors... but I would never be angry against that person because he/she doesn’t share my opinion. I guess shipping can be corrosive because fan relate to more at the ship.
And yes SMG doesn’t appear in fans convention is probably for that reason !

K
katmobile
I'm not sure it's the only one.
W

WillowFromBuffy

I got the impression that James and SMG are quite good friends, but that both have mixed feelings about the Spuffy ship.

There are many Spuffys and Banglers who are really just Spike and Angel fans with very little patience for Buffy. I have very little patience for them in return.

K
katmobile
I'd say some but yeah that's justified.

Priceless

Scooby
I guess it’s because they are hurting in theirs feelings. They are probably passionate. I’m passionate with the Buffyverse and when people say something bad on Buffy or Angel (series) I’m always intrigued and can’t stop myself to respond at this person, and the debate starts. But I’m passionate in a good way, I would discuss politely with that person, I would bring arguments like : there are good characters development, great dialogues, some metaphors... but I would never be angry against that person because he/she doesn’t share my opinion. I guess shipping can be corrosive because fan relate to more at the ship.
And yes SMG doesn’t appear in fans convention is probably for that reason !
I don't think this is just a Spuffy thing. On this site I have read terrible things directed at the actors. I think the worse was someone calling James Marsters a paedophile. They were incredibly angry with him, which is very different then being angry at Spike the character. I hope they didn't direct these thoughts at the actor himself, but I really did not like reading that on this site. I think we all have to keep in mind that the actors/writers/producers etc. are human beings and you should treat them as such. The characters on the show are not real and you can say what you want about them . . .

Antho
Antho
Probably one of Dora’s post lol
GoSpuffy
GoSpuffy
I saw that pedophile post and it almost made me quite the boards I was so offended. I blocked the party in question because it wasn't the only time they were completely out of line.
NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
My first thought is that fan was grossed out that late 30 something year old JM wrote a song about being attracted to underage MT.
K
katmobile
It was Dora and he needs his wrist slapped hard for it. It's also hypocritical as he condemns Spuffers for harassing Sarah which is also dead wrong. It's also downright libellous.

Antho

Scooby
@Priceless I agree with you of course. I never said it was only a Spuffy thing. It concerns all the fandom of the series but this thread is axed on Spuffies’s reaction toward Sarah. And I think the reaction are probably explain by the fans who are too much passionate by the couple they ship.

K
katmobile
It's a problem with fan dumb in general. Some people even harass showrunners when they don't get their way.

TriBel

Scooby
It's a text - I really don't give a monkey's* what the actors think or don't think. They're no more competent at reading than I am. They were paid to deliver lines that were written by someone else. They delivered those lines under direction. In fact, I'm more inclined to listen to a cinematographer than an actor. The vision is not the actor's (unless it's someone like Orson Welles). If I'm passionate about anything, it's doing justice to, and justifying the text, not the person. Buffy and Spike are Buffy and Spike - not Geller and Marsters. SMG can ship whoever she wants - to my mind, it's unsubstantiated opinion.

*I've just realised I have no idea where this axiom originates.

Priceless

Scooby
Whatever for?
I can't actually remember now. I could be totally wrong, but I think he took in his brothers child because his brother was a drug addict or ill (or something) and there was something about JM and this child. Oh and all the Michelle Trachtenberg stuff. I don't remember who posted it, but I remember feeling a bit :eek: :)

Stoney

Spiked!
I certainly get being passionate about it and can feel a whole mix of responses over things people say, particularly about Spike and Spuffy :p, and I have been known to berate myself for thinking that I'm feeling too intense about it all in fact. But I either stay quiet or I discuss it rationally and try to stay polite. Venomous attacks at someone for having a different shipping preference/opinion is just totally over the top. As you say, shipping in particular does tend to be corrosive, sadly it often gets irrationally nasty. I remember some of the tweets Christos Gage was subjected to when Spike/Buffy started their current relationship were terrible. People can just use the anonymity of the internet to be unacceptably vicious. I was just horrified to hear SMG had received actual threats, it is so out of line it is hard to fathom. :(

I agree @TriBel. JM has openly admitted to struggling to understand the direction Spike was taken in at times and realising later the necessity or that the vision the writers had was better than he would have gone for. Just because they can bring a character to life through their responses to the text/direction and how they interpret what they are given doesn't mean they have a better understanding of the show. It is just another person's individual opinion and personal response.

Last edited:

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I'm fine with SMG picking Bangel. I don't care what anyone else likes I just like what I like. I heard JM say in an interview that SMG and DB were really good friends where as he used to tease her and he felt part of SMG's preference was they had a closer friendship. He also felt Bangel was better at the time because he felt Spike was a souless monster but that he could see that after Spike got his soul and grew a bit then he could see Spuffy being a thing.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I'm gonna repeat what everyone has said; it doesn't bother me, she has the freedom to ship whoever she wants. I love her, but her opinion on the matter is meaningless.
On the other hand, the fact that Sarah and James are at least friendly does make me happy. If they hated each other, that might have a bigger impact.
All the threats she has apparently received on the matter really upset me. @Priceless is right, those people definitely have other issues. But that isn't an excuse for mistreating someone like that.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I don't mind. Sarah and James seem to get along well, and Sarah was pretty attached to Angel and Buffy's relationship filming. Didn't they have to take a break from filming during The Prom because SMG was so upset after filming the tunnel breakup scene? I also know S6 was the hardest for her to film, and she doesn't read the comics to see how Spike and Buffy have evolved since the show ended. So I'm totally fine with her ship and actually think it makes perfect sense from her perspective.

I do think it's crazy how she gets death threats over her preference, though. I can't even imagine what would drive someone to do that.

Joss seems to lean Spuffy, though, so there's that :p

Top Bottom