• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Spuffy Headcanons

IndianaSolo221

Potential
I just really want to talk Spuffy with some Spuffies, and I wonder, do you guys have any Spuffy headcanons that you'd like to share? I know that the word "headcanon" is most often used in relation to fanfiction, but are there any headcanons you think could easily fit into the series?

For those who may not know what headcanon means, a headcanon is the idea of a certain characteristic or event that isn't necessarily canon, but that fans believe could have happened or can happen in the universe. An example of a headcanon could be something along the lines of, "In BtVS S5, Dawn wanted to invite pre-soul Spike to the annual Scooby Christmas party, but the gang refused. To make up for it, Dawn gifts Spike an ugly sweater, and he accepts the gift. Later, Buffy finds out that Spike actually kept the sweater and wears it in the privacy of his crypt. Buffy is impressed that an 'evil vampire' would have the consideration to accept Dawn's gift, no matter how ugly, and it eventually becomes a weird inside joke between Buffy and Spike." Yes, I know it's not exactly a "Spuffy" example, but...it's something, I guess?

Anyways...y'all have any awesome Spuffy headcanons? Maybe some Christmas ones, too?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
One popular headcanon is that Spuffy started in "Something Blue" and the spells on Giles, Xander and Buffy/Spike were never fully rescinded. Giles is never regarded as a visionary again - he goes blind. Xander becomes a demon magnet and all of his future romantic interests have some demonic or supernatural characteristic. Spuffy is first shown there and supposedly ends abruptly at the end of the episode but it never really ends.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Partially supported by James from canon, one headcanon is that Spike fell for Buffy from the beginning, but pushed it down due to Dru and being evil, until S5.

Then there's the eternal discussion of when Buffy loved Spike, ranging from S5 to S6 to when she says it in S7 (and some don't even buy that one), and your own personal headcanon can support either one.

Honestly? We get so much spuffy goodness that I don't feel the need to headcanon anything. Headcanon is for filling in gaps (or trying to create consistency from major inconsistency) and there just isn't much in the way of gaps between them - we see a slow build up that lasts from season 2 to the end of the series, we know all their history together. It's why I never write spuffy fanfic - we got everything we need.

I do lean towards Spike having unrecognised feelings for Buffy right from the Bronze, though - as opposed to nothing until the dream in 'Out of my Mind' - that's just the point it becomes conscious. And Buffy's feelings for Spike - she starts to rely on him in season 5, asking for help over Riley in Out of My Mind, getting Spike to help her look for Dawn in Blood ties, and look after Joyce and Dawn in checkpoint. Spike is the person she is coming to for help when she discovers Dawn in his crypt in Crush. I don't think she notices a pattern or understands and appreciates the amount she is beginning to lean on him until she finds out he didn't betray them to Glory in Intervention. After that she certainly starts to appreciate and respect him some more and sees him as an ally she is no longer totally repulsed by.

As to the when she actually falls in love ... I'm not sure. But I will point out in First dates when Willow says a date will help her move on her response is 'why does everyone assume I'm still in love with Spike?'
I mean a) in love - not sleeping with, not attracted to: in love.
and b) That 'still' is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

So she was in love with him at some point prior to first dates - and it is when she goes on a date that she realises that that 'still' was apt all along. 'I'm not ready for you to not be here' *sigh*

Priceless

Scooby
I don't know if you'd call it headcannon, but I honestly think Season 6 Buffy would have been more miserable and angry if Spike hadn't been there. Some suggest that Spike made Buffy's life worse, but I can't see that. If she hadn't had him to take her anger out on, she would have turned on her friends and Dawn and that could have lead to even more heartache.

As for other beliefs, I think Spike fancied Buffy from the first moment he saw her in The Bronze and it was evident in the fight at the school. He began to love her in Season and Buffy began to love him in season 6, but couldn't admit it to herself. Her reaction to him and Anya having sex showed she cared more than she would if her relationship with him had meant nothing.

M

M

The only Spuffy head canon I have ever thought of was that Spike and Buffy spent more time and hooked up more often than what was shown in the series, but I've never hammered out the details of that.

I reckon Spike probably spent quite a bit of time in and around the Summers house during season 4, 5, and 6,and it's possible some kind of Christmas festivities could have been thrown in there off screen. After all, one of his first episodes as a chipped vampire was Buffy's Thanksgiving dinner, although he was there by chance, and I imagine other holidays eventually followed. He was obviously comfortable enough to walk in as he pleased in season 6, and seemed fine with the party atmosphere on Buffy's birthday.

Spike did also have a tidy collection of nice things in his crypt. It isn't entirely wild to suggest one or other of the Scoobies might have contributed to that. Dawn certainly liked Spike, and Willow also seemed to have a soft spot for him at times/tried to include him. At the very least, it certainly makes sense to equip your ally with the appropriate weaponry to help your cause.

I've also always wondered when Spike lost his lighter. At some point he was hanging out on Buffy's couch, and at a time we didn't see on the show. Since this was some time before Buffy's birthday, and after he had been watching over Dawn for 147 days, it could have happened some time around Christmas, maybe?

AstridDante

Potential
The concept of Buffy in fact loving Spike in Season 6 is a very strong headcannon I think, even without the throwaway remark in Season 7 of ‘why does everyone in this house think I am still in love with Spike?’ There is a lot of between the lines stuff in Season 6 showing that while yes Buffy was using him as an escape from the numbness in her life, she was starting to develop real romantic feelings for him, in fact she admitted as much in SR.

AstridDante

Potential
The only Spuffy head canon I have ever thought of was that Spike and Buffy spent more time and hooked up more often than what was shown in the series, but I've never hammered out the details of that.

I reckon Spike probably spent quite a bit of time in and around the Summers house during season 4, 5, and 6,and it's possible some kind of Christmas festivities could have been thrown in there off screen. After all, one of his first episodes as a chipped vampire was Buffy's Thanksgiving dinner, although he was there by chance, and I imagine other holidays eventually followed. He was obviously comfortable enough to walk in as he pleased in season 6, and seemed fine with the party atmosphere on Buffy's birthday.

Spike did also have a tidy collection of nice things in his crypt. It isn't entirely wild to suggest one or other of the Scoobies might have contributed to that. Dawn certainly liked Spike, and Willow also seemed to have a soft spot for him at times/tried to include him. At the very least, it certainly makes sense to equip your ally with the appropriate weaponry to help your cause.

I've also always wondered when Spike lost his lighter. At some point he was hanging out on Buffy's couch, and at a time we didn't see on the show. Since this was some time before Buffy's birthday, and after he had been watching over Dawn for 147 days, it could have happened some time around Christmas, maybe?
I think it is cannon that their ‘relationship’ was over a period of give or take four months and during that time they were to use Dawn’s words ‘doing it like bunnies’. I think we are definitely supposed to infer they hooked up a lot more than what we saw on screen, even the crypt scene in Dead Things ‘we missed the bed again’ implies it was a regular occurrence. On another note of all the scoobies, I loved how Willow seemed to be the most decent to Spike.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I've said mine before

1. Spike is being manipulated by the Powers that Be as a backup Vampire with a Soul in case the Primary project fails. That's why he gets nudged into going after a Soul, or acting in ethical ways that would exceed the limits of operant conditioning. Which oddly enough, goes with the fan hypothesis that Angel is the Catholic idea of Salvation by Works Righteousness and Spike is the Protestant idea of Salvation by Grace alone.

2. Spike's operant conditioning has caused his Demon to assume he's a submissive beast now, which forces him to retreat, and remain passive. This is why he can relate to the Scoobies without considering them just food, because the Demon sees them as Bigger Dogs that he can't hurt. This leaves Spike open to the influence of his humanity, which causes him to fall for Buffy, and to think he's in love with her. Because he thinks he a man. But he's not. He's just the Absence of Evil.

TriBel
TriBel
I think that's sustainable theory...not necessarily head canon. 'Though TBH, I'm never sure where one starts and the other finishes.

GothicBuffy

Slayer
Some cute Spuffy headcanons I have:

He cooks for her. Spike loves human food and he's picked up some cooking skills over the years. Especially in season 6 and she's having a hard time just functioning, he cooks for her.

He still writes poetry, some about Buffy. He doesn't want to read it to her but eventually he does after she asks enough times.

They work out together. She has done this with Angel before, they definitely have some sparring sessions.

Later, when Buffy has a handle on her own problems, she helps Spike with his, and is able to give attention/emotional support to the problems that Spike has surrounding his sense of self worth.

They watch bad tv together in his crypt.

They discuss fashion, as they are both fashion icons.

They listen to music together. Remember that time Spike asked her if she liked the Ramones? That's not the only time he's introduced her to music he likes. Maybe there's karaoke involved.... Maybe they have jam sessions with Spike on the guitar and Buffy killing it on the mic.

I absolutely live for soft and happy Spuffy.

Top Bottom