• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Spuffy lovers: How and when did you fall in love with Spuffy?

KatrinaL

"I'm not strong. I'm not an Amazon. I'm just me."
Was there a significant episode or situation that made you realize that you rooted for them as a couple? I'd love to hear how and when you realized that you were a Spuffy shipper :).

For me, it was in FFL. I wanted them together since that episode.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
For me it was gradual. I loved their antagonistic relationship and I loved Spike’s character when he was evil. But in S4, I started realizing that I wanted to see them interact more often and I just had so much fun watching them together.

I honestly fell in love with them when Spike realized that he loved her in “Out of Mind.” It just made sense for me and I wanted to see them together after that. Interestingly, as soon as he realized that he was in love, heartache became real for me too. Buffy continued treating him as the enemy and that made me sad. I know that it was within character, but it still hurt.

And S6 only increased my attraction to them as a couple. It’s a difficult season to watch, but their sexual chemistry is off-the-charts. I did miss old Spike in S7, but I wouldn’t change that plot twist, it made me love his character even more.

Can’t say that my love for them is entirely rational, but then again, it’s a fantasy show.

Annie Hall

Bangel/Spuffy... Loving love
I’m the type that likes both Bangel and Spuffy when they are together. I think I warmed up to Spuffy also around FFL. The way Spike was hurt by Buffy’s words made me think that his feelings were real (in his twisted way). But I think that I truly wanted them together after the first episodes of S6, they got very close and she was able to open to him in a way that she couldn’t do with her friends. He was very caring in those scenes.

spikenbuffy

"Buffy's like nobody else in the world"
Honestly I don't know exactly as the first season from BTVS that I 've seen on TV was S7, I liked it and it pursued me to watch BTVS from the beginning when it reran on TV. I was so happy when Spuffy team up in Becoming !!!! knowing what will happen later in S7 (Spike & Buffy moment in Chosen, "I love you, no you don't").

So I don't know specifically as what made me want to know about BTVS was Spuffy & Spike's character from the beginning before I saw S1 to S6. I've always known that Spuffy will become a thing when I saw S2 for the first time so......

But I would say that the first moment of Spuffy that I was truly impressed was the last scene between Spike & Buffy in Intervention when Buffy said to Spike that she will never forget what he did for her & Dawn. Such a great moment!!!!

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Come on, Spuffy lovers! Do share your story with us! It's part of the fun of this forum and there's no shame in that :)!

Btvs fan

Potential
Becoming Pt2, they were just great together, though Spikes looking at Buffy in School Hard (which JM admits he played it as) made me think at the time ooh there might be something there.
Then in Lovers Walk and that quasi triangle, which I admit was unintentional then through to Something Blue which was a definite yeah I'm Spuffy 😃

Stephan

It's a great show. But no need to get all riled up
I started watching the show around season 6, so for me too it always made sense that they were together. I like a lot their story.

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
For me it was "The Gift". When I saw the shot of Spike crying after he sees Buffy's body, it broke my heart and made me fall in love with the idea of them as a couple because that's the moment I realized he was truly in love with her and it wasn't just a lusty obsession.

TriBel

Scooby
Oh God...I am such a boring person...sigh. ☹ I ship them because Whedon does. Rather, I wanted to establish, to my own satisfaction, why he shipped them and why he thought Spike was more "evolved". In the past, I did quite a lot of research around love, desire and speculative fiction (which sounds waaay more interesting than it was) and Spuffy fits into the models I developed. If I'm forced to name pivotal moments or turning points I'd say OomM for him, Intervention for her. However, in retrospect and with hind-sight I'd say it's theoretically traceable to School Hard.

KatrinaL
KatrinaL
It's a valid reason, haha

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
Oh god... I honestly don't really know one specific moment. There were some defining moments that made me fall in love with Spuffy gradually. I loved them from School Hard to Chosen, not always as a couple though. I liked their team-up in becoming
and I just really liked Spike. But I was a Bangel fan at first, but only at my first time watching season 1-3. I didn't know someone as awesome as Spike would be another option then. And I HATED (still really don't like) Riley. So I was like "love Angel, hate other partners of Buffy ( = Riley)". I just had never thought about the concept of Spuffy as a romantic couple before. So I guess it was at something Blue, that I realized that Spuffy was an option and I totally wanted it.
In season 4 I found Spike absolutely hilarouse. And when I saw how he cared for Buffy, risked his life for her (Glory would've killed him if Buffy and the Scoobies hadn't saved him) I knew I loved it! And the Scene with Buffy dressed up as the Buffybot

*soooo cute*. (Also I was watching it with my parents and they were Spuffy defenitely. They thought Bangel was too cheesy. So I guess that also did have an empact on me.) In season 5 it all was just soo cute! In the gift: "I know you'll never love me. I know that I'm a monster, but you treat me like a man." How he cries because the person he loved died.
I think at that point I was really a Spuffy fan. (I know for a "true" Spuffy fan maybe a little late.) In season 6 it was cute that: "I want you to know I did save you. Not when it counted of course. But after that. Every night after that. Every night I saved you." And when he first saw her alive and how he looked at her and she at him. And how he knew exactly how many days she was gone. And I cheered at their kiss in OMWF!!!

After that in season 6 it's just... Well it's hot,

though I kinda sometimes feel ashamed for thinking that because of (my age and) the AR, but that was OOC anyways Imo. Hells Bells was really cute though!

In season 7... I LOOOOVE their relationship in this season! Everything Spuffy related in season 7 is either funny or cute!

Just like most of their relationship is. Besides their worse moments. But that just also shows how true Spikes "You're the one." speech in touched was.

He really has seen the best and the worst of her and he loves her completely and unconditionally, everything she is even the worst and also the best sides of her. And she loves him!

Love Spuffy!!!

KatrinaL
KatrinaL
Right there with ya!
vznspike
vznspike
Absolutely in love in the GIFs

Leo

"Mist... cemetery... Halloween. Should end well."
It was their journey. I enjoyed (and was saddened) Buffy with each of her partners, but by the end of the show, I came to the realization that they had an amazing journey. Going from "I want to kill you" to "I love you" made sense once I put together everything they went through together. It's not a small accomplishment of this show, even if people complain of character assassination, and blah, blah, blah.... it felt organic for me. So I guess it's fair to say that I had to watch the entire show to be in love with them, but it was worth it.

FirstEvil78

From beneath you, it devours... Spuffy lover
I’m a romantic at heart. I loved Bangel and Spuffy when I watched the show, but I’ll always prefer Spuffy. I’m not blind to the unhealthy parts of their relationship, they are really difficult to watch even now, but the upside is exhilarating.

It’s a story of redemption that I can buy and love within the show. The Spike we initially met is not the same Spike we got at the end. He fell in love with a woman and he went through hell to change. His love went from being selfish to being selfless (broadly speaking). But she also grew up during the show. She went from being ashamed of herself to being assertive and open about the way she felt.

I think that I truly fell in love with them in. S7. Before that, I was just deeply attracted to their physical chemistry. But they showed me that there was much more to it and I love them because of that.

SunnydaleGlitz
SunnydaleGlitz
Aw, S7 Spuffy love! I love them in S7 too - BY, Never Leave Me, Showtime, Touched, End of Days, Chosen...lol, did I miss any?
Top Bottom