• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Stalled Buffy comics reading

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
So I'm really far behind on my Buffy comic reading. Like really far behind. Got stalled back in season 10. So I'll probably restart season 10 at some point to reacquaint myself. But I'm wondering if it's worth it and if I will enjoy season 11 at all. When folks post artwork and screenshots of season 11, it's all-Spuffy all the time. Just for background sake for those who don't know me, I am a Bangel fan, but I enjoy & appreciate most ships (I mean obviously not the gross ones like Conner & Cordelia lol!). I can handle the idea that Spike & Buffy are together and that she's not with Angel. It's just that I get the impression that season 11 is only about Spuffy. So, is there an actual plot? Are there other things going on besides this relationship?

I kind of feel silly asking about this. I mean, no season of Buffy is solely about the relationship (although season 7 comes close for me- Giles has zero character development and other characters too definitely take a backseat to Spuffy). So I have probably answered my own question.
I'm not asking for spoilers, please!

Black Thorn
I mean obviously not the gross ones like Conner & Cordelia lol!
There is nothing gross about it Connor and Cordy! Condy is a forever love. Gross... what blasphemy.

Okay, you want a helpful answer? Season 11 to me seemed better than the previous seasons, but it also seemed the less Buffy of the seasons. Even more than the crapfest that was S8. Season 11 felt more like some bastard seasons of True Blood than Buffy. I wouldn't get too worried on Spuffy as the uffy part of the ship was not the same character from the TV show. uffy is hardly recognizable anymore. She is more of an action hero than the reluctant fighter from the show.

Still doesn't excuse you for the Condy-baiting you did in the previous post.

Last edited:
VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Oh Lordy lol! Very unhelpful post, let me take your karma away! :D

Mrs Gordo

(She's not even a vampire.) No, I'm an attorney.
Black Thorn
So I'm really far behind on my Buffy comic reading. Like really far behind. Got stalled back in season 10. So I'll probably restart season 10 at some point to reacquaint myself. But I'm wondering if it's worth it and if I will enjoy season 11 at all. When folks post artwork and screenshots of season 11, it's all-Spuffy all the time. Just for background sake for those who don't know me, I am a Bangel fan, but I enjoy & appreciate most ships (I mean obviously not the gross ones like Conner & Cordelia lol!). I can handle the idea that Spike & Buffy are together and that she's not with Angel. It's just that I get the impression that season 11 is only about Spuffy. So, is there an actual plot? Are there other things going on besides this relationship?

I kind of feel silly asking about this. I mean, no season of Buffy is solely about the relationship (although season 7 comes close for me- Giles has zero character development and other characters too definitely take a backseat to Spuffy). So I have probably answered my own question.
I'm not asking for spoilers, please!
I am in the same boat you are in. I have however jumped in to read some of the comics here and there. I tend to go read the spoilers and if the plot sounds fun I'll read it. But after the mess with Twilight I was hugely disappointed. There is an awful lot of Spuffy from best I can tell and when I check in I find Buffy wildly out of character. But I intend to eventually read my way through them.

BTW have you checked out the Angel comics? I am half way through ATF and I loved those and I hear great things about Angel and Faith seasons.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I am in the same boat you are in. I have however jumped in to read some of the comics here and there. I tend to go read the spoilers and if the plot sounds fun I'll read it. But after the mess with Twilight I was hugely disappointed. There is an awful lot of Spuffy from best I can tell and when I check in I find Buffy wildly out of character. But I intend to eventually read my way through them.

BTW have you checked out the Angel comics? I am half way through ATF and I loved those and I hear great things about Angel and Faith seasons.
I really liked season 8 and I read all of season 9 and Angel & Faith. I'm a huge fan of all of the IDW Angel comics.

Okay, you want a helpful answer? Season 11 to me seemed better than the previous seasons, but it also seemed the less Buffy of the seasons. Even more than the crapfest that was S8. Season 11 felt more like some bastard seasons of True Blood than Buffy. I wouldn't get too worried on Spuffy as the uffy part of the ship was not the same character from the TV show. uffy is hardly recognizable anymore. She is more of an action hero than the reluctant fighter from the show.
Hmm, this is very interesting, thank you for your input!

Let me just say that when I say I like season 8 (since both of you have mentioned that season), Twilight is of course NOT what I like. But there are so many wonderful elements of that season that they have not been able to reproduce in subsequent seasons unfortunately.

Black Thorn
I *despised* the Spuffy of Season 10. But it hasn't bothered me as much in Season 11. The 12-issue season just doesn't leave as much room for stuff outside of the main arc, so any relationship drama is directly tied into the main plot.

Season 11 to me seemed better than the previous seasons, but it also seemed the less Buffy of the seasons.
I would agree with this, though.

I'm a Spuffy fan, so obviously I love the Spuffy in S11, but that's only part of what the season is about. This season is centred very much on 3 main characters, Buffy, Spike and Willow, so if Xander or Giles is your favourite you are probably going to be a bit disappointed. There is a lot of building up of the Willow/Buffy friendship which I've really enjoyed (as we haven't seen much of that in previous seasons) Faith returns and she nad Buffy appear more friendly then they've ever been. There is a lot going on in the comics, especially when you think of it as a comment on the Trump administration.

I've only read the first issue of season 11 so far (started last night) and I'm enjoying the tone. The way I read the comics, I tend to focus on the good and try to ignore the bad. Having just started reading fanfiction, it does feel a bit like I'm reading approved fanfiction the way reading Cursed Child (Harry Potter) felt.

@Priceless I'm really looking forward to some Buffy/Faith so that's probably going to be the highlight for me, but all the discussion and parallels over the trump stuff in the comics is really intriguing. I'm kind of looking forward to reading more and I haven't felt that in a while. And glad to know Buffy/Willow are getting some focus. I hadn't heard anything about it, so that's also a +.

I've only read the first issue of season 11 so far (started last night) and I'm enjoying the tone. The way I read the comics, I tend to focus on the good and try to ignore the bad. Having just started reading fanfiction, it does feel a bit like I'm reading approved fanfiction the way reading Cursed Child (Harry Potter) felt.

@Priceless I'm really looking forward to some Buffy/Faith so that's probably going to be the highlight for me, but all the discussion and parallels over the trump stuff in the comics is really intriguing. I'm kind of looking forward to reading more and I haven't felt that in a while. And glad to know Buffy/Willow are getting some focus. I hadn't heard anything about it, so that's also a +.
It's really good that you are enjoying the comics. Have you read previous seasons? I'd like to hear your reviews as you go through the issues. It might be because I always want more Spuffy, but I don't think S11 is Spuffy-heavy, but as a Spuffy fan I might be blind to it.

I loved the early Dawn/Buffy, but the focus is on the 3 lead characters and I'd like to know how you feel about that going on, because I actually thought the focus on just 3 people really worked, and I didn't miss the others at all. In S11 we see a real re-blossoming of the Willow/Buffy friendship that we haven't seen in a very long time.

It's funny that in this thread posters have said this Buffy isn't anything like the tv show Buffy, and in the issue thread people are saying she's exactly the same, rehashing the same old things. I really think you have to read the comics to make your own mind up.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a cheerleader for the comics becasue I really enjoy them and would like them to continue. I'll try not to 'spoil' it for you anymore. :)

It's really good that you are enjoying the comics. Have you read previous seasons? I'd like to hear your reviews as you go through the issues. It might be because I always want more Spuffy, but I don't think S11 is Spuffy-heavy, but as a Spuffy fan I might be blind to it.

I loved the early Dawn/Buffy, but the focus is on the 3 lead characters and I'd like to know how you feel about that going on, because I actually thought the focus on just 3 people really worked, and I didn't miss the others at all. In S11 we see a real re-blossoming of the Willow/Buffy friendship that we haven't seen in a very long time.

It's funny that in this thread posters have said this Buffy isn't anything like the tv show Buffy, and in the issue thread people are saying she's exactly the same, rehashing the same old things. I really think you have to read the comics to make your own mind up.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a cheerleader for the comics becasue I really enjoy them and would like them to continue. I'll try not to 'spoil' it for you anymore. :)
Yes, I've read all the seasons and almost gave up on them a few times lol.

I can't say I'm a fan of them in general and I do feel like they're not really the same characters, hence why I take what I like from it and ignore the rest. That way, I get to enjoy them a bit. But if I spend too much time analyzing them then it all falls apart for me.

I'll post my thoughts in the season 11 section whenever I finish an issue. I'm kind of looking forward to catch up and read the last issue at the same time as everyone else for once lol.