• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Stephen Dorff rules

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I've like him since first seeing him in the Power of One.
In an interview to promote his new film, Embattled, another example of his greatness arose when he lamented the following:

“This year’s Oscars were the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever seen. My business is becoming a big game show. You have actors that don’t have a clue what they’re doing. You have filmmakers that don’t have a clue what they’re doing. We’re all in these little boxes on these streamers. TV, film – it’s all one big clusterf**k of content now. I still hunt out the good s**t because I don’t want to be in Black Widow. It looks like garbage to me. It looks like a bad video game. I’m embarrassed for those people. I’m embarrassed for Scarlett! I’m sure she got paid five, seven million bucks, but I’m embarrassed for her. I don’t want to be in those movies. I really don’t. I’ll find that kid director that’s gonna be the next Kubrick and I’ll act for him instead. I don’t like playing things too safe. To me, Hollywood’s always too safe.”

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
he could say what he wanted to say without dragging Scarlett Johansson
But maybe he wanted to say he was embarrassed for her.
I mean, she used to be a good actress. Maybe he thought she needed a wake-up call. Didn't she herself say she was embarrassed by the character in the past?

TriBel

Scooby
That just seems rude.
It doesn't seem rude...it is rude and makes him sound obnoxious.
maybe he wanted to say he was embarrassed for her...Maybe he thought she needed a wake-up call.
What gives him the right? He could say it wasn't the sort of movie he wanted to make without slagging her off.

Priceless
Priceless
Just said the same thing, should have read the thread first

DeadlyDuo

Scooby

I saw a review of Black Widow that made it sound woke as hell due to the reviewer's choice of phrases such as "celebrates all different body sizes" and "a woman's right to choose" and the way they seemed to lap up that kind of stuff so perhaps it was actually an accurate representation of the film, hence why Stephen Dorff is so negative about it.

He was in the first one of the Blade films so he's no stranger to comic book movies.

Last edited:

thrasherpix

Scooby
I never was much of a Marvel fan, though there are a few movies I liked. But a Black Widow movie was one I couldn't wait to see for years, and talked about the possibility of it for a long time.

But now, I so dread anything by Disney when it comes to the franchises they buy up, even when remaking their own past films, that I simply dread the disappointment of going. I'm glad I know others who will go (eventually), and I'm waiting for them to give me something to go on. I'll probably skip it.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Dorff should get off his high horse considering a) he's technically part of the MCU, having starred in one of the Blade films, so slagging off others for the same thing is hypocritical and b) he's in one of the worst book-to-film adaptations ever made (The Power of One) and should be embarrassed for it.

Honestly, who even remembers this dude anymore? Is he even relevant?

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Dorff should get off his high horse considering a) he's technically part of the MCU, having starred in one of the Blade films, so slagging off others for the same thing is hypocritical and b) he's in one of the worst book-to-film adaptations ever made (The Power of One) and should be embarrassed for it.

Honestly, who even remembers this dude anymore? Is he even relevant?
Yeah, I kind of agree with you. He could say he doesn't want to be in the Marvel movies but don't feel embarrassed for Scar Jo. She makes millions doing Marvel and then gets Oscar nominations for Marriage Story and Jojo Rabbit. What's the last thing Stephen Dorff has done? I think I saw him in a quit smoking commercial. He can do indie projects if he wants, but no need to hate on actors that do Marvel/Comic book movies.

Stake fodder

Soulless
I'm not very familiar with Stephen Dorff, but this does come off as a bit arrogant to me. I dislike it in general when actors act as if they are too good for the work they are doing. Not everything has to be Shakespeare. If it's entertaining and lets people escape for a bit, that's good enough. I would guess that ScarJo understands this.

Also, don't these two quotes contradict each other?
TV, film – it’s all one big clusterf**k of content now.
To me, Hollywood’s always too safe.”
Trying anything and everything seems risky, not safe. Safe was only making TV/films that were like other popular TV/films, or sequels. I remember when that was the case, when the ruling networks were afraid to put money into anything not tried and true. Better clusterstuff than boring!

Having said that, I tend to agree with him that the ever-expanding hunger for new programming is causing some decline in quality. But the "golden age of TV" was never going to last forever. And the Oscars were weird.

Last edited:
HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
pretty sure the last 20 years of tv have been the golden age

Priceless

Scooby
I mean, she used to be a good actress. Maybe he thought she needed a wake-up call. Didn't she herself say she was embarrassed by the character in the past?
What makes him think he's the person to give Scarlet Johansson a wake up call? It sounds like absolute arrogance on his part. Are they friends?

TriBel
TriBel
"Are they friends?" If they ever were I'm guessing they're not now.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Seems like Dorff's lamenting the current state of film making. Which is fair, but calling out Scarlet Johannson is uncalled for. I mean he's been in his fair share of clunkers over the years. How is that any different? Also he seems like some old guy wishing that things were still like they were in the 'good old days'. :rolleyes: Really funny how he's calling out streaming services, when you're more likely to find higher quality content there than at the 'box office' nowadays. I mean Hollywood is all about the 'tent pole' movies (IE: Marvel/Disney/Franchises). Shoot even Scorcesi did a movie for Netflix cause he knew that he probably wouldn't have gotten it made elsewhere. Frankly 'the next Kubrick' will probably be writing/directing for a streaming service, and maybe for a short series, not just simply an 'old school' Hollywood movie. Just saying. 😏

TriBel
TriBel
And "just saying" very well. ; )

TriBel

Scooby
I saw a review of Black Widow that made it sound woke as hell... hence why Stephen Dorff is so negative about it.
And if it is, what right does it give him to position himself as Johansson's "saviour"?
In fact, he says nothing about it being "woke". :rolleyes: He says "It looks like a bad video game" (which is probably how I'd describe the end-to-end violence in Blade). Are bad video games "woke"?

Empire gave BW 4 stars which is one more than they gave Blade and Power of One.

Maybe he thought she needed a wake-up call.
See...I can't decide whether your phrasing is a sign you've gone full-on Loki.
Didn't she herself say she was embarrassed by the character in the past?
If you're referring to her observation about the hypersexualization of BW in Iron Man 2, then I think she heard the alarm and is fully awake. Good for her.

Scarlett Johansson has spoken out against the sexualisation of Black Widow in Iron Man 2, the 2010 blockbuster in which her character first appeared in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series.

Speaking in a pool interview in the run-up to the release of the standalone Black Widow film, Johansson said: “While [Iron Man 2] was really fun and had a lot of great moments in it, the character is so sexualised, you know? [She is] really talked about like she’s a piece of something, like a possession or a thing or whatever – like a piece of ass, really. And Tony even refers to her as something like that at one point … ‘I want some.’”

Johansson appears to be referring to the scene in Iron Man 2 when, as Natalie Rushman, Black Widow meets Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) for the first time. After flicking through a series of pictures of Rushman, including one of the character in lingerie, Stark tells Gwyneth Paltrow’s Pepper Potts: “I want one.” (Potts earlier refers to Rushman as “a very expensive sexual harassment lawsuit if you keep ogling her”.)

Johansson added: “Maybe at that time that actually felt like a compliment. You know what I mean? Because my thinking was different … My own self-worth was probably measured against that type of comment [but], like a lot of young women, you come into your own and you understand your own self-worth.”

Johansson went on to say that “young girls are getting a much more positive message” and that “it’s been incredible to be a part of that shift and be able to come out the other side”.

Johansson praised the “move away from the kind of hypersexualization of this character” in the new Black Widow film, which co-stars Florence Pugh and is directed by Cate Shortland. She said: “I’m a mom and my life is different. Obviously, 10 years have passed and things have happened and I have a much different, more evolved understanding of myself. As a woman, I’m in a different place in my life, you know?”

"celebrates all different body sizes" and "a woman's right to choose"
Yeah but you say that as though it's a bad thing.

Seems to me she's grown up...he hasn't. She's looking forward...he's looking backward. TBH, he sounds envious. What makes him think the "next Kubrick" would want to work with him? Aspirations above his ability? IDK...I've no idea who he is.😀

@Spanky - it isn't what I wanted to say. Sigh...Buffy Summers comments about "bad" language limit my range of expression. 😒

Last edited:
Spanky
Spanky
The comment she's looking forward made me laugh out loud.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
And if it is, what right does it give him to position himself as Johansson's "saviour"?

Where in that quote @Spanky posted does he "position himself as Johansson's saviour"?

He's being quite negative about a movie she's done. At what point is that him being her "saviour"?

In fact, he says nothing about it being "woke". :rolleyes:

I said that I saw a review that made the movie sound woke. I thought it might have just been the reviewer being a certain type of person that can be represented by 3 letters, however I then said that perhaps the review may have actually been an accurate representation of the movie, given Dorff's negative reaction to it.

I never said that Dorff said it was "woke".

Yeah but you say that as though it's a bad thing.

There's a big difference between "here's a movie with different sized actors in it" and "Look at all these different sized actors we've put in this movie! Can you see that they're different sizes? Let us hit you around the head with it some more so you can fully appreciate that we have used different sized actors in this movie!"

The review I read made the movie sound woke because it made it sound like "celebrates all different body sizes" and "a woman's right to choose" was the entire point of the film. It's lecturing the audience.

The film might be completely different than the impression given by that reviewer (I hope it is), but the point that I was making is that the reviewer made it come across as if the movie was going to be some woke piece of crap that pandered to the Snowflake crowd.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Interesting take. I actually liked Black Widow (miles better than Captain Marvel) but it is marketed a certain way like many a blockbuster. I know its a meme now but the movie actually was about family and had quite a few good performances.

In the same vein it's just his opinion so maybe people shouldn't gasp and 'how very dare he' so much. ScarJo is probably rolling around in a money bed cackling to herself and throwing stacks up into the air. Nobody can serious doubt her acting chops, right? Ghost World, Marriage Story, Don Jon, The Island!

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I agree Stephen Dorff is so fantastic but that is where we part company, as actors go he isn't that great. Of all the 50 or so films he has been the lead how many of them have been blockbusters? As he isn't an actor with a great reputation what gives him the right to knock someone who does have a really good reputation.
As @RachM stated, is he even relevant?
I must admit though that his role in the Harry Potter film Goblet of Fire in which he portrayed an underwater bit of seaweed he was truly outstanding or am I mistaken as that wasn't him?

Spanky does have the right to his view about Stephen Dork, sorry Dorff, oopsie.

Top Bottom