• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Sunnydale Fanfic Club Discussion #3: But Where Have All the Wings Gone?

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
This thread is for discussion of the third fic for the Sunnydale Fanfic Club podcast.

But Where Have All the Wings Gone?
by Gort and sunalso
Summary: There are no buffalo wings to be found in all of Sunnydale and Spike is miserable. Once again it’s up to Buffy to save the day, even though she really doesn’t have time for this.
Rating: Explicit
Words: 13,549
Relationship: Spike/Buffy Summers

This episode is set to be released on Dec. 25.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
As promised, this was a very funny fic! (I don't know if I could have gotten through Season 6 Spuffy if it wasn't a light-hearted one. ;))

sunalso and Gort write together really seamlessly. I could not tell the difference as I moved through the chapters at all. I liked the Lebowski reference and the ridiculous running Parcheesi joke. Also, the demon was just adorable.

I'd love to hear what people who actually ship Spuffy thought of this one!

flow

Scooby
I'd love to hear what people who actually ship Spuffy thought of this one!

I have read it and listened to the Podcast as well.

I thought the story itself was hilarious. I have read stories by both authors before, but none of their c0-works. I am not a writer, but I believe, that it is more difficult, to write a funny fic, that actually works and makes you laugh, than a romantic or angsty story. What do you think ?

I was also wondering, how a Bangel feels about reading a Spuffy sex-scene. Actually most Spuffy fics have one or more sex scenes. Some are better, some are worse. But as I read this fic, I imagined, reading a Bangel sex-scene and that felt kinda weird. Are sex scenes actually very common for Bangel fics ?

The podcast Episode was very interesting as well. They talked a lot about the beta-ing, they are doing for each other and that was a whole new world for me.

The next Podcast episode is on air today and features buffy-boards @Grace. You can find the link to the story and to the podcast here:

Sunnydale Fanfic Club Discussion #4: Another Minute

flow

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I thought the story itself was hilarious. I have read stories by both authors before, but none of their c0-works. I am not a writer, but I believe, that it is more difficult, to write a funny fic, that actually works and makes you laugh, than a romantic or angsty story. What do you think ?

I totally agree! Funny is soooo much harder than romance or angst. I naturally write sad stuff, I think, and I am very envious of writers who are as funny as sunalso and Gort. @WillowFromBuffy is good at funny, too. I loved her writing for Xander, Andrew and her original character, Deputy Sheriff Pepper, in Buffy - Return of the Vampire Slayer.

I was also wondering, how a Bangel feels about reading a Spuffy sex-scene. Actually most Spuffy fics have one or more sex scenes. Some are better, some are worse. But as I read this fic, I imagined, reading a Bangel sex-scene and that felt kinda weird. Are sex scenes actually very common for Bangel fics ?

Sex scenes are super common in Bangel fics, yes. Spuffy sex scenes actually don't bother me, at least they didn't in this story. I have a lot more trouble with writers not being fair to characters than anything else, because then I just want to argue with the author and can't focus on the story. I think I could read just about any Spuffy fic where Angel didn't come up much or an AU where he didn't exist. Or, I actually also like some B/A/S fics with all of them together, when the writer respects both Bangel and Spuffy.

Puppet
Puppet
I definitely do angst a lot better than humor, too :D
W

WillowFromBuffy

I haven't read the story yet, so I will be back later with a review. I just saw my name and had to see what was up.
I totally agree! Funny is soooo much harder than romance or angst. I naturally write sad stuff, I think, and I am very envious of writers who are as funny as sunalso and Gort. @WillowFromBuffy is good at funny, too. I loved her writing for Xander, Andrew and her original character, Deputy Sheriff Pepper, in Buffy - Return of the Vampire Slayer.
Thank you so much, Grace. One day, I may write The Trials and Tribulations of Deputy Sheriff Pepper, the Mighty Xander and the Lone Ranger ;)

This is so funny to read, because to me it is the other way around. I really want to write sad stuff, but I find it to be much harder than trying to be funny. When I write funny stuff, I just write whatever pops into my head, such as a bunch of college kids running around with the thorn off arm of their dead friend. If I want to be sad, I need to come up with a good idea that will allow a buildup for maximum impact. The piece of writing I am the most proud of personally is the bit where Dawn loses her virginity. It is also the bit I am the most ashamed of, because it makes me feel like an awful person :p

Another Minute actually inspired me to endeavour to step up my comedy game in the future and try to derive more humour from language play rather than bizarre situations.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn

I’ve read a few Spuffy sex scenes, as well as Fuffy, Briley.... things like that. I don’t mind it. Buffy having sex is just her having sex. Good for her ;)

Sex scenes are very very common in Bangel fics. Some are creative with the curse: “I can’t but you can” and some like me cheat and find ways to fix the curse. Still some decide that given all that Angel has been through Buffy won’t trigger the curse anymore. The possibilities are endless but the sex is plentiful. Lol.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I am glad, to hear this. I thought, we Spuffys were just weird :D

flow

Not at all!

I have not yet attempted writing a Buffy/Angel sex scene myself. I'm sure I will give it a try eventually, but it's really intimidating. I have attempted two sex scenes so far, and they were Buffy/Willow and Angel/Fred/Illyria. I'm actually pretty happy with them, but I don't know if I will ever post them. Maybe under a name that no one associates with me! :p

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I've read this story before and gave it a reread just now. It's so funny. I really enjoyed it. If you're looking for something with a similar sense of humour I recommend Do You Want Milk With That by Cryptwarmer. It's a one shot so nice and short but guaranteed to leave you giggling

W

WillowFromBuffy

This story was so cool. Buffy reminds me of Alice from Alice in Wonderland, rolling her eyes at all the madness. I love stories that can combine wacky humour with good characterisation. If I had read the story earlier, that would have been my question: How do you achieve good characterisation when writing from a premise that is completely bonkers?

The parachii? board slowly turned into an artefact imbued with old kinds of meaning. I wanna try doing something similar once, refer to a mundane object several times, slowly building up associations.

The discussion on sexually explicit language made me laugh. I sent a story to Pricey once. Her only feedback was don't write member and don't write barf :p I kept member and dropped barf.
I have not yet attempted writing a Buffy/Angel sex scene myself. I'm sure I will give it a try eventually, but it's really intimidating. I have attempted two sex scenes so far, and they were Buffy/Willow and Angel/Fred/Illyria. I'm actually pretty happy with them, but I don't know if I will ever post them. Maybe under a name that no one associates with me! :p
I do not actually ship Buffy and Willow but ... erm ... a friend of mine thinks it would be a shame if that scene was lost to the world.

Priceless
Priceless
No need to thank me lol :-)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I do not actually ship Buffy and Willow but ... erm ... a friend of mine thinks it would be a shame if that scene was lost to the world.

Hahaha, I will keep that in mind! I am devoting this month to one-shots before I buckle down and try to work on a longer story, so maybe I'll do something with it. :)

W
WillowFromBuffy
You better!

sunalso

I write too much
*waves at everyone*

I was told last night I have to delurk over here (by JforJenny) who sent me links and everything. So thank you all for being so nice to our crazy story and I hope you enjoyed the podcast. Feel free to ask about the fic or anything and I'll do my best to answer (and I'll try to comment on the other threads as well since I've been reading/listening to everything).

Top Bottom