• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spoiler! Supernatural Season 14

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Okay, so I just finished watching the premiere of season 14 and I thought I'd share my thoughts for anyone who may be caught up and watching like me (also, the old thread was in the cemetery).

14x01 - Stranger in a Strange Land
I absolutely loved the opening scene. Jensen's Arabic was, to me, sooo freaking good, that man continues to amaze me with every new season. As much as I love and adore SPN, part of me can't wait for it to end so Ackles can go on to other, equally awesome, projects.

The new title card is great, probably in my top five. We haven't had wings since S9 and this time they're not damaged (cause they're Michael's, not Castiel's, but still).

Sam's Grief!Beard is so hot and fits so well with this new Sam that we meet here. I love the contrast between his refusal to give up after six weeks back in S10 with Deanmon, and now with him almost giving up by week 3. It also fits well with the Sam he's grown into since S10. He is also being the leader that I thought we'd get last season, after the great Who We Are, and I love that the bunker has turned into Hunter HQ. It's been done so much in fanfic, both bad and good, but now it's canon :D

As much as I missed Rowena and Charlie in this one, it was already packed with my other favorites, so I can forgive it. Great to have Mary and Bobby around (totally lowkey shipping them, btw) of course I missed Jack over the summer, and then, there was...

Nick.

The moment Mary came and said "He's awake", I started to wonder. I thought back to S13 and who 'he' may be. We'd already seen Bobby and Jack and Cass and Dean/Michael, the Wayward girls are, well, women. So who was it? I briefly thought of Gabriel but then, it hit me; before Sam even opened the door, I remembered the rumor that Pellegrino was back. And so I thought! Nick! It's the vessel! And it was!

I can't wait to see where they're taking his story this season, I just hope and pray that Luci is gone for good. I love him, but his character is done and he has no more (interesting) stories to tell. I also love what the implication that Nick being alive means. Some people probably think about killing Michael and leaving Dean still alive. But all I can think about is killing OUR world Michael and leaving Adam alive!!!

When Michael turned up around Jo, I was left worried; married-irl-couples don't always do well in scenes together. But, of course, Jensen has great chemistry with everyone (much like James Marsters in the Buffyverse) and it was another wonderful scene. Now, while I like the idea that Jo wants more human things, I really hope they don't plan on pairing her with Dean, later. It would be super lame and would not fit with the story whatsoever. #crossingfingers

The demon - I've already forgotten his name - was entertaining enough, for being what he was (a one-off) certainly better than the one we got in early S13, but he's no Crowley, and I was so glad to hear within the dialogue the writers were admitting the same thing. It was funny, meta and very good to hear. Cass being captured was annoying, but at least he was taken out by a crowd of demons - believable - instead of one or two - not believable. I can forgive it...this time.

The whole bar fight scene was great and something I noticed throughout the episode is that the stunts keep improving. They had gotten better last season and now, once again, they stepped it up. It looks awesome (so long as no one is flying from any wires, thank you) and it opens up a lot of possibilities for what they can do in the future.

Did I miss anything? So much happened in this episode. Bobby teaching Jack to fight, Cass and Jack's final scene together made me tear up, that female hunter - whose name we either never got or I didn't catch - actually survived, I totally thought she was a redshirt. All around, it was a great episode. I've heard some complaints that it doesn't feel like a premiere, but a filler, but I completely disagree. I don't think it's just the new title card that's in my top five, this whole premiere may be in my top five premieres of the show, too. Really well done.

Can't wait for the next one :D

I absolutely loved the opening scene. Jensen's Arabic was, to me, sooo freaking good, that man continues to amaze me with every new season.
Really? I love the guy but I couldn't understand a thing.. had to read the English subtitles 😂 kudos for trying though!

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I have it on now. I haven't yet read your posts so I don't get spoiled. Reaction post ahead :D

Awww I forgot how "little brother" cute Jack was in the recap. I do hope we see more of him in the future.

Ooh Dean looking a bit handsome in his little hat. I am so interested in this story line! I wouldn't mind MichaelDean being around for a while. How is he getting his information about the people he is visiting?

You got your Sam beard @Puppet looks like summer fuzz haha. Only 3weeks!?! Ok the beard is ok for only 3 weeks in tv land ;) I like the bunker being put to use for this purpose. War leader Sam!

YES Jack! It didn't even occur to me that Bobby would be back for good. I bet they will wait til we love him again to kill him off.

Cas looks tired. Or hungover.

I like the angel image reveal thing. Love the voice Dean has on, its suave and solid. He seems to channel Lucifer - from the show Lucifer with the "what do you want?" (what do you desire?) question. I have no idea what my answer would be if someone asked me! Maybe constant contentment. What about you guys?

I thought Nick was destroyed in the aerial knife fight! I cant imagine Nick can be a good guy after what he has been through. Oh so we know the blade won't kill Dean but is able to kill Michael within.

Ugh Cas got himself into that mess, he can figure it out... although with the cavalry it may be an easy snatch. I know they will probably need Cas for any epic fight but there is enough else going on for him to get a rest.

Bobby back into Daddy mode. I like that it is not their Bobby, so the dynamic is not the same with the boys. Jack needs a daddy but the boys have their mummy now so Bobby isn't needed in the same way for them now. Sam, don't be mean to your mumma! She is probably holding hope cos she loves him too. Don't be a dick.

I get a bit sick of these cocky demons. I would like a few hear the name Winchester and run away screaming. Or just realise they are out of their depth attacking that family. I get a bit dizzy when they pan the camera too fast lol. At least this demon is a bit smarter, seeking a partnership. He is a bit over dramatic, it works for Gabriel but doesn't sit as well with others.

The score on these shows is great, I can tell when I need to be watching by the music hah it feels more full on than usual - just me? Not keen on this fight scene. The flashy lights and speed is making my head spin a bit.

Mary is growing on me. I never disliked her but I like her a lot more today. Don't mope Jack, it doesn't suit you. Go get a girl friend and have some happy time. Why do they keep dressing him in grey? Something more than just a colour that suits him?

Oooh are vampires making a comeback? Sweet :D

Puppet

Black Thorn
14x02 - Gods and Monsters

Another great outing, this one actually better than the one last week, imo.

Once again, an outstanding opening scene, with Dean!Michael experimenting with/torturing vampires. He has this calm demeanor about him that is kinda terrifying, though I'm not at all surprised that Jensen is knocking this one out of the park. All is as it should be. All I can now wonder is what his endgame is with his experimentation.

Bobby is still around and it's so great to see, but I still want to see Rowena and Charlie; hopefully next week. He's fitting in great with the guys - especially Mary - but still is clearly another person than the Bobby we knew in the past. Jim plays that distinction really well, but really the whole cast is just so strong, so again I'm not surprised.

I mentioned last week that the Nick turn could, potentially, create an interesting storyline...and I was right. There's a reason the cast claims Pellegrino as the best actor on the show. Nick is nothing like Lucifer, not even when he turns deranged and murder-y later on. The way he stands, moves, even his face twitches, it's nothing like the Lucifer we've known for years. Gone is also the at-times silly humoristic lines; there's nothing funny about Nick or what he's going through. I'm even more interested in his story now than I was before. My only question, based on the final scene of him, is this; did Nick kill his own family? Does his mental sickness go back that far? Or is the choice of the hammer for a murder weapon symbolic? Can't wait to find out.

Castiel and Nick's confrontation was a great scene, seeing Lucifer's lasting effects on Nick, and hearing Cass talk about Jimmy and how what happened to him will always be his greatest regret. That's why I find it totally in-character that he and Claire aren't in any scenes together; they are constant reminders for each other for their worst memories.

The last episode was mostly badass Sammy with Bobby and Mary, with few interspersed scenes of Dean!Michael, Jack, and Castiel. This time, it was a tiny bit the opposite, as we got plenty of story from the minor characters, while still following the main story involving the vampires. I really liked the 'minor' stories in this one, though, like, a lot!

Jack is trying so hard to figure out how to survive without his grace; he's still so young and it's just so obvious in his naivety. When he goes to see his grandparents, I keep waiting for him to slip up, or to choose to tell them despite knowing they won't believe him. But instead, he handles himself so well, even as the emotions rise in his face. That whole scene, grandparents included, was just so incredible and if I could love Jack more than I already do, this would make that happen.

Probably my favorite scene from this episode is early on when Cass tells Jack about losing his own grace. About hope, believing in yourself, and having the patience to find other ways to fight, to be strong. That was such a lovely moment between two great characters.

We got a lot more Dean!Michael this episode and Jensen is really stretching his acting muscles here, it's brilliant. And the way he switches back and forth between Michael and Dean so seamlessly, it's just fantastic.

This leads me to that ending; no way is that Dean.
100% that is Michael pretending to be Dean. Not only because, of course it is, but also because Jensen has stated that he will be playing Michael for far longer than his Demon!Dean arc back in S10.
This is only the second episode. Still, I can't wait to see how this plays out. How this all plays out.

Wonderful season so far.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I am about to play ep 2 now - and then I will read your reaction/review :D I am so stoked to be up to date with things for once! Its nice to watch with others in a thread and reminds me of earlier fandom days.

Opening scene is a bit reminiscent of Drucilla at the alter of the church being healed by Angel blood. So, Michael is making a cocktail spell? I really like Jensen in this role! I was excited about the demon Dean days, but this role is even better on him.

Oh dear. The problem with good acting is all the feelz. I am so used to seeing the cast mucking about laughing, that when they turn it on, it hits ya in the gut! Nick starts crying I just want to give him a cuddle. Aww Cas gives a bedtime story for Jack. I like the encouragements, both for their fanbase and characters. Cas down with Nick - "what went through your head just now?" sounds like a therapist. Could Nick be able to conjure Lucifer back with the evil that he has experienced? Like muscle memory?

Ah a little explanation of Angel possession for the newcomers. I don't want to go too far into this topic here - but a bunch of religions believe Jesus was Michael in an earthly body. I love that the show takes just enough from truth but has its own lore to it. Nick does have evil within. I missed Dean doing his sippy sip with my skippy feed, but I bet there will be a gif of that in no time.

This is lovely family time! It took me a second to think of who Kelly was. Jack calls Cas out on his OTT man love. Super charged werewolves are a bit pf a scare but we know our heroes will win. Mary is so bad-ass. I like the murkier fight scenes better than the sharp type we had in the first episode. Hmmm Michael said it was a trap... getting Dean back in the bunker before he re-processes? What happened with his spell cocktail? Oh dear Nick!!!!

Puppet

Black Thorn
14x03 - The Scar

Well...it just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?

We'll just take it by arc, okay? We had two stories running at the same time; Sam, Dean, and Jody hunting for Other!Kaia - Castiel and Jack back at the bunker, trying to save Laura.

Story 1 - Dean, Sam, Jody, Other!Kaia.

We start off this episode with Sam and Dean walking from what I'm assuming is the garage of the bunker to the main 'map room'. Dean is Dean again, making fun of Sam for the beard he grew while he was gone. I surprised myself when I laughed out loud - I haven't done that since we lost Dean to Michael in S13; it's sooo good to have my boy back, even if I don't fully trust that it'll last for very long.

Dean's refusing to discuss what happened because, of course, he did, that's so in character but still annoying. You have to talk about these things, Dean! We get a sweet moment with Jack - and a hug! - but no Cass hug? C'mon! Anyway, after finding a gnarly scar on his arm - callback to S4's handprint, anyone? - Castiel helps Dean remember what happened while he was 'possessed' by Michael and they finally deal with that cliffhanger ending back in Wayward Sisters in S13! Kaia's back!

I've been waiting so long for this and I hope it plays a decent part in S14, even if I know Michael is the main villain. I know she's super busy with her awesome career only growing bigger, but I need Kathryn to come back so we can see Claire deal with this and how things wind up working out between her and this Kaia. By the way, I screamed out loud when the show acknowledged DreamHunter! It's officially canon!

It was wonderful seeing Jody again, although I have to admit that, these days, it's weird to have just her; no Claire, no Alex, no Donna, not even Patience. It's kinda like back right after Bobby died, but it feels like a weird regression almost. I know it was just her in the Asa Fox episode back in S12, too, but I guess after the attempted backdoor pilot, I just wanted more than Jody alone. Great to have her back, though, and, another thing show did; Cass and Jody interacted! It may have been over the phone, but they still interacted! For the first time!!!

Dean kept me on edge all episode, just waiting for the reveal that Michael was still there. I don't want show canon to change the fact that Castiel would sense him, but I'm still unsure. I was promised a lengthier Dichael arc than Deanmon, dammit! And since I can't imagine Dean ever saying yes again, Michael has to be hiding deep inside Dean's subconscious, so far down that even Cass can't sense him, right? *crosses fingers*

Having Dean back was great, I laughed more than once and it felt like it always does to watch a Supernatural episode. I don't think I realized just how much I'd missed my favorite character until he was back on my screen. It doesn't help that Jensen is so goddamn fantastic as an actor that Dichael never felt like Dean, never even looked like him, strange as that may sound. So even with the obvious PTSD and the near-constant frown on his face, it was still so good to have Dean back, making cracks about his brother and shoving his emotions so far down that he's choking on them. Ah, yes, that's my show!

I absolutely loved the scene where Dean frees Kaia! "Now you're in trouble." And then she runs off. The look on his face was priceless, even though I knew she was just off getting her spear. Hilarious.

Sam also got some really meaty scenes, but not necessarily dialogue-wise. Jared used his expressive face to show all of his emotions about Dean; relief but worry about having him back, worry and irritation that he won't open up and share, shock, confusion and worry about Kaia being 'back', and then how he teared up at the end, when Dean finally opened up a little. It was so powerful and I just love it when Jared's allowed to go to that place in an episode. Reminds of probably my favorite scene in all of S13 - in the car, Sam and Rowena talking about their Luci!Trauma.

Also, I should mention, besides all the humor and stuff, my favorite Dean scene in this was him alone in his room, disgustingly ripping Michael's clothes off, like he can't even look at them, let alone feel them on his skin. Another powerful moment done so well by the actor.

The final scene sees Dean and Sam heading back towards the bunker - presumably - and Dean finally talking about why he didn't remember what Michael did while possessing him. Apparently, the archangel kept Dean in a constant state of drowning and that might be one of the most horrifying things I've ever heard of on this show. It also reminds me of the trauma Buffy had to deal with after Prophecy Girl and that just makes it worse. I sincerely hope that show continues dealing with this as the season continues.

Story 2 - Castiel, Jack, and Laura.

Jack's arc this season so far has been him trying to deal with being suddenly human, after he, in S13, was the most powerful being around, certainly more powerful than Michael or Lucifer. After what he considered his failure in the premiere episode, he's been a bit, well, 'emo' about it. Dean's dickish comment doesn't help, even if he didn't mean it that way. So Jack stays behind. When I saw that he was leaving, I was very upset, so I'm glad that his part of this episode was about teaching him not to give up and not to abandon his family.

Also, the biggest scream of joy in this one came out of me when Jack acknowledged that not only was Cass his real dad, but he wasn't the only one. Yay!

Castiel originally plans to go with Sam and Dean - I would've loved to see Jody and Cass on my screen at the same time, actually interacting, but this was okay, too - but is waylaid by a nice little tie-in to last week's episode (I love the writer of this episode, btw, shout out to Bobo!). As some of the hunters staying in the bunker return from the hunt Sam sent them on last episode, we learn that it was a witch and that one victim survived, but that she was cursed.

The chemistry between the actress portraying Laura and Jack was so powerful for what was, essentially, a one-off, that it made me far more invested in the story than I would've normally been. I felt for Jack, but I also felt for Laura. The connection between Laura regretting running away from home, and what Jack had been planning to do, was a bit on the nose but I can forgive it since it was a strong episode. I love that Jack was the one to figure things out, simply because he was the one who spoke at length with Laura, not because he's smarter or something stupid like that.

This is now the third consecutive episode in a row - and all of S14 so far - where we've been given a heart-to-heart between Jack and Cass; it is such a beautiful thing to behold. Castiel talking about how Jack is already a hunter in his mind and in his heart, I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a bit.

Then Jack started coughing...at first, all I could think was that, by breaking the witch's curse, he'd been cursed instead. But now I'm thinking it's connected to his lack of grace. After all, he's not a vessel, he was born with his grace; his body might not be able to survive long without out. Dammit, show, stop throwing me these goddamn curveballs!

All in all, this was a great episode and defiinitely the best one, so far.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Ep3 Written while watching so just my reaction dribble which is hard to understand if you've not seen the ep. So if anyone reading has not yet seen the ep - go do it.

Hehe at Dean ribbing Sam about the beard. It is a bit odd looking - was that a firefly reference? "Always there watching"- like Shepherds Books hair and Rivers words following that. Looks like the cameraman managed to make Jack look smaller. Cas has love face. I don't know why they are so welcoming and careless already around Dean. I guess that could be part of Michaels plan. Yay Jodie :) always good to see her. I knew this chick/monster thing would be back. Pretty scary stabby monster, cant wait to see what happens! Aww poor Jack, I like Cas's father frown.

Adding the refugees is a nice way to restock the US with hunters. And get the focus back on the bothers. I'm pleased to have the car rides as a constant. Jack following his fathers footsteps...Well trying to but failing cos he has too much empathy. I am so glad he joined the show :) He is a sweet character and off sets Deans gruffness. Sam is suss of Deans behaviour, I feel another car guilt convo coming on.

Ohh is Kaiah (?) like a slayer in her own dimension? These new breed - was Michael trying to pull a Liviathen trick? Oh I am glad Sam explained all that. Looks like she might be the only one able to stop Michael.

Don't Dean! C'mon Sam, figure it out. If Dean knows, then Michael knows. Pretty exciting episode! Aw yay for Jack, finding a way to help. Was Dean stalling so they could be captured/threatened, we all know he is not right. And why wouldn't they let Kaiah free to help fight. HAHAH Oh that put a spanner in the works. Dean freeing her and her escaping, did not see that coming lol. Oh very cool, this sword thing is like a scytch. YASSS I love the new slayer in town. This show just keeps coming up with more :D

This is getting back to family bonds which is a bit lovely. Aww no, I hope they don't mess with Jack! My heart could not take it. There is enough going on, pls don't mess with my lil Jack! Can the boys do a 'Yes' reversal spell? Like uninviting vampires on Buffy? Has Jack just got TB?

I liked the pace of this episode, there was enough going on and drove the story forward. I am really looking forward to see how this season pans out. I am excited by the new characters and this Michael VS Slayer storyline.

Dean kept me on edge all episode, just waiting for the reveal that Michael was still there.
Me too!
I knew she was just off getting her spear
I didn't, so it made it even more

Puppet

Black Thorn
14x04 - Mint Condition

I watched this episode twice in a row. I wrote these thoughts on my second run-through. Review will follow.

We start with what appears, at first, to be a flashback to the late nineties, early noughties, only to find ourselves in a retro comic book store. When his smartphone rang, I was equal parts surprised and disappointed (though the disappointment didn't last long). This retro feeling will stay with the viewer through all 40 minutes in this awesome Halloween-themed episode (only the 2nd of its kind and the last one was TEN SEASONS AGO!)

I loved that the girl's name was Sam, but I wish we could have gotten a reaction to it, especially since Dean is always teasing his brother about how he's such a big girl. Missed opportunity, guys!

Cut to Dean on his bed, enjoying some pizza and a horror movie marathon (and I totally wasn't surprised that this HUNTER was a horror fan, typical Dean). I loved the little meta-shoutout of the dude in the movie exclaiming Dean's signature line :D

Sam steps in and we get some funny when Dean notices that Sam shaved. Loved the dialogue there!

We get clever!Sam who 'tricks' his brother into joining him on the hunt. I loved that little pause on his smile/smirk before the scene cut to the next.

Cut to our boys walking down the street in their best OFFICE COSTUMES! God, what will they come up with next? We also get more meta when we meet characters that are similar to our boys, AND it's pointed out by the boys themselves, which is extra meta; then again, going meta is something this show is really fricking good at!

Nerd!Dean is adorable because he will never admit to being one, but he totally is!

Campbell & Sons Insurance - Classic!!! Especially because Samantha isn't in this one, so it's like a shoutout.

And just as the office outfits couldn't get any better, we get Dean and his glasses. Only worn twice before, and always to be able to see hellhounds. He's really committing to his 'role' here. Also great throwback about Dean not being 'up' on social media lingo and games that came after he grew up. Solid writing!

The mention of Sam not liking Halloween just makes me think of the previously mentioned Halloween-themed episode, in S4. The Great Pumpkin Sam Winchester. I know that's not why he doesn't like the holiday, but still, it's a nice thought.

The boys have never been as awkward as this scene where they try to hide in the front seat of Baby. Hilarious.

Favorite line of the episode. "Gotta love the internet. Where everyone can be a dick."

I'm still stuck on 'the witch did it' when the fricking flying chainsaw comes out of nowhere! The look on Dean's face when it just missed him was priceless.

That jacket really completes the outfit, Dean, wow. The crew really did awesome work on the retro feel of this and a special shoutout to Props!Robin, she was having a good week here.

I'm not keen on the music that starts playing the second Sam sees the picture on the computer screen. Like it's announcing 'there's a clue'. We have eyes! It's like those rare times when the show uses music to let us know we should laugh cause something funny just happened. Not necessary!

The movie within the show is a fun parody of eighties horror flicks, even more so now that I've done a binge of the classics, like Nightmare and Hellraiser.

"It's Zen." Totally supposed to be the relationship between Sam and Dean. I don't always mind anvils, not when they're done right.

More of Dean geeking out and my love for this episode only ramps up more!

"I like to watch movies where I know the bad guys gonna lose." Ain't that the sad truth.

And, what do you know, Sam gets knocked out again! We need a damn knockout counter for Sammy, like with POTN and Giles. I swear, next time I do a rewatch (which is soon) I am totally counting this, cause some seasons it's like once an episode, at least!

And even more Dean geeking out! Yay!!!

I do, however, love the classic horror-style music playing when Hatchet Man is walking down the street; a total throwback, almost homage, to old horror flicks.

They never stay inside the salt circle, Dean, you should know that by now...

Clever Samantha, handling her employee's thievery like that.

Once he mentioned cleaning supplies, I just knew he was building a fricking bomb. My boy's so smart!

Loved that scene with Dean almost breaking the glass, before realizing that the door was unlocked. Super funny.

Talking to homicidal murderers never works, dude, aren't you supposed to be a horror fan? You should already know this!

This whole scene with the security guards watching the movie, cut to 'real life', back to security guards, and so on, is so brilliant. I really liked that. Also liked the elevator inter-cut scenes that followed.

Scooby Doo! I love the continuous callbacks to the S13 episode! Already it's a classic in the fandom and with the cast and crew :D

Messed up childhood, that's putting it mildly, Sammy.

Trailer within the episode, gotta love that. Reminds me of the S2 episode, Hollywood Babylon. Pretty sure it's supposed to remind me of that, also :p

Btw, Hatchet Man pre-death - and from behind - totally looks like Matt Cohen. Don't ask me why...

Love this fight scene, we get solo Dean in action, first time this season. So great to have him back...for now.

This final scene in Baby is absolute gold! First we get a childhood story from Sam, never can get enough of that, personally. And then we get Dean being Dean. Thelma & Louise? Priceless.

And we all know the truth about Bert and Ernie...

(Of course, it ended on the classic cliffhanger, but why the hell did they just leave the Hatchet Man figure there?)

Review
It was great to get back to the classic SPN monster-of-the-week, where Sam and Dean are the only ones in the episode. No angel, no mother, no kid, no alt!reality peeps, just the brothers, saving people, hunting things. Harkens back to S1 and while the show could never survive anymore on just that, it is nice to get it every now and then, to remember where we came from. Also, that relationship between the brothers is why it's still going strong 14 seasons later, so these types of episodes are always fun to see.

The retro style of the episode was just so...it made me feel so warm and nice and I kept being thrown back to my own childhood. The creators know the age of the majority of their fans because this was totally aimed at approximately my generation give or take 5 years; it was perfection. I don't recognize the name of the director, I don't know if this was their first episode, but whoever they are I want them to come back in the future and direct more because there were some really nice shots in there.

We continue to get a great look into Dean's psyche as he is dealing - or in this case, not dealing - with his Michael-sized trauma. He is hiding in his room - understandable since the bunker is full of people he barely knows - and eating both literal and figurative comfort food with the pizza and horror movies. But he's also still Dean and Sam knows exactly what to do and say to get his ass in gear.

I do have a few issues with this otherwise wonderful episode - you're doing a nerd episode and no Charlie? Look, I know she's from another dimension and isn't actually our Charlie, but the apocalypse didn't destroy that world when she was a baby. She is still a nerd. Just feels wrong, somehow :(
My other issues, I believe, are mentioned above in my thoughts section.

S6, arguably one of the 'worst' seasons of the show, also happened to introduce us to Robbie Thompson, the best writer the show has ever had. He penned many episodes until he left the show in late S11, and not a single one of those episodes were weak or bad or anything less than awesome. Then, S12, we seemed to get a worthy replacement in Davy Perez, who wrote my all-time favorite SPN episode.

I didn't find out until my second watch, but Davy Perez also wrote this one. So now I understand why it felt like a Robbie episode; because like Robbie, Davy just gets this show and its fans. Love!!!

Overall this was a fun romp through a classic monster-of-the-week episode of this classic show. It's not my favorite of the season so far, but it was pretty damn close. I was worried we may not get episodes like this, seeing as there's only 20 this season, unlike the usual 23, but I'm glad to be proven wrong. Can't wait for the next one, as always.

Episode rankings; (I stole this from @Grace, I believe, from the current Buffy Rewatch threads)
The Scar
Mint Condition
Gods and Monsters
Stranger in a Strange Land

Grace
Grace
From Mylie, actually! It’s very fun!

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Ep 4 Mint Condition

I have been looking forward to the first monster of the week episode :D I love this comic shop, I hope it doesn't have to get burned down. OOH live toys, this could be creepy. I don't really watch much horror genre stuff anymore but I know Supernatural rarely goes beyond what I can handle. Deans room is messier than mine! Yay, Sam is not a fan of Halloween either. LOL I love these little observations of Sams various hairs.

Oh wow, I knew men exactly like this bearded gamer where I lived before. Hehehe at Deans costume, and his observation of the internet is pretty spot on too. I wish he wasn't right on that one though, I sometimes catch that dick disease.

Sams head is massive compared to Deans in the corridor shot, bit too much volume there with the hair haha. Dean found a friend, so cute :p I hope it is not a death sentence for him.

Ew this monster dude is ugly! Haha I am really loving the way this episode is filmed. I have never heard of the movie in question (is it a real film?) this is a great idea. I thought early on this might be on of those episodes that you recommend to non watchers and I think I am right on that. It's awesome.

Why is there a kitchen knife in a morgue? I like that these extras have guts and smarts :D

Aww I need a Sam pep talk for all the guilt from my medicated days.

Dean better stay true to his costume promise :D

I really, really loved that episode! Exactly the type I expect to see from Supernatural. Tons of fun featuring just the boys without the entire team. I feel like the writers have a good balance/sense of that now days. Really pleased to see such a great episode in Season14! Another tick in the "it must go on forever" box.

Puppet

Black Thorn
14x05 - Nightmare Logic

So this was another strong outing, with one very exciting 'twist' that I knew what coming! I'm so happy to be proven right :D

Maggie
As soon as the cold open began, I crossed my fingers that she'd be okay. I really want just one side-character to survive the season, popping up now and then, to lend some more reality to the show. So far, Maggie was killed (and then revived) by Lucifer in S13, saved Mary's life in the S14 premiere, and now she was in this one. And she survived! So hopefully I'll get what I wanted from her. We'll see, I guess.

We also got a bit of background from her, now knowing that she lost her family to vampires.

Mary and Bobby
I was expecting yet another MOTW episode like we had last week, and then this hunting duo showed up. (Makes sense, they can't have as many MOTW this year, since they have 3 fewer episodes than usual)

Anyway, I really appreciated the reminder that this Bobby wasn't our Bobby. He's not going to be fatherly to the boys, he's not going to make excuses, and he will have had different experiences than the Bobby the boys grew up with. I also like that here, Sam and Dean understand that Mary knows Bobby much better than they do, strange as that may seem.

However...I was not happy with the 'twist' that was Daniel. I get that Bobby is from an alternate reality, really, I do, but most of the changes between the two worlds come from what was S4/S5 in our world; the apocalypse. The fact that John dying in 1973 and the boys not being born somehow means that Bobby and Karen had a son...what? Huh? Makes no fricking sense! I don't like that they clearly added that just because. Get a grip, guys, and do better in the future!

Back to what I loved; another of my ships was acknowledged in canon! Yay! First Claire and Kaia in episode 3, and now Mary and Alt!Bobby, awesome! I love that they somehow found a connection while in the other world. Bobby was close with Mary Campbell from his world, and Mary's heard stories of our Bobby from her sons, so they already had a weird past with each other. Now their off to a cabin to grow even closer, so I'm interested to see what comes of it later.

Sam
I'm gonna reiterate what I said back at the beginning of S13; I am really falling in love with Sam. It took a lot of seasons to get there (and I'll always be a Dean!Girl at heart) but the person he's become/becoming is really speaking to me. And let's not forget that Jared is making it happen with his incredible acting chops. Sam is the leader of the alternate reality hunters living in the bunker, but he's taking the responsibility too seriously and destroying his body in the process. 3 hours of sleep, what the fudge??? It was bad enough when Dean admitted to only getting 4, but Sam was always the healthier one anyway. Until now, I guess.

When Sam finds out that one of his charges might be dead, his immediate thought (and emotion) is to sit back and accept it, accept that he did a bad thing and that it's all his fault. Thankfully his brother won't let him do that, and Sam is forced out on the hunt for her, and Dean keeps trying to keep Sam's hopes up. But we can tell (again, Jared's face-acting) that Sam isn't ready to start hoping and instead he just chooses to let himself be distracted until he finds Maggie in the attic and you can see the relief on his face.

The most powerful scene from Sam this episode, though, (other than when Bobby called him useless and you saw him tearing up) was at the very end, when Dean was talking and you could just see how heavy Sam's load has been; he has to lead a bunch of mostly amateur hunters, and he has to carry his brother who is going through this big thing with the whole Michael thing. Everything is just too much and Sam is gonna break any minute if something doesn't happen. And you can see it on his face, his whole body practically shaking with the effort to stay upright. So fricking depressing, yet beautiful. (I love you, Jared!)

Dean
I keep waiting for something to happen. I've mentioned before that there's no way Michael is gone, for so many reasons. It has lent itself to this intriguing thing, where I watch every episode with a tense sort of 'on the edge of my couch' feeling, which has added something new to watching the show; it's kinda cool. But anyway, this episode it was confirmed. Michael is still in there! Holy nope, guys, this is so big. I am totally okay with a slight change in angel lore to make this possible (why can't Castiel tell his brother is in there?) because the reality of where they can go with this is just so fricking interesting!

When that djinn put a hand on Dean, all I could think was 'what is his fear'? After everything he's been through over the years, what does he fear this time? (By the way, a great callback to the different type of djinn like the one we met in S8 with Charlie)

The twist, of course, is that the djinn sees Michael inside of Dean, and that allows Dean to get the upper hand. My only issue - and it's a tiny one - is why Dean doesn't question the djinn's strange reaction to seeing inside him. There's a chance that will be explained later, though, so I won't make too big of a deal out of it. Yet.

Also, this is Dean, so there were some funny moments. I loved the look he gave Bobby in the cabin, no one does face-acting quite like Jensen Ackles.

Storyline
A good old fashioned murder/mystery and it was actually really good. There were really only three or four suspects (the old man, the daughter, the nurse, the groundskeeper) if you don't count a complete fifth stranger/monster. Despite that, I only figured out it was the nurse minutes before the show told us. I thought his over-the-top reaction to monsters being real might be a clue and I was right. I never would have guessed djinn, though, and I love that. With Michael changing the lore this season, viewers can never really know what to expect and it's a great turn for a show that's been around this long.

Episode rankings;
The Scar
Mint Condition
Gods and Monsters
Nightmare Logic
Stranger in a Strange Land

Top Bottom