• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Tales of the Slayer

intothefire

Townie
What do you guys think of Tales of the Slayer? I don't think they're cannon, but some of the stories are pretty awesome (although at the same time some of them are also pretty lame...). I've only read a few of them but they're pretty decent.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
It's my understanding that both "Tales Of The Slayers" and "Tales Of The Vampires" are, indeed, actually considered canon.
These are both canon but there are other stories under the Tales of the Slayer title which aren't canon. I haven't read them though so can't help with the actual question.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
The novels Tales of the Slayers aren't canon, even though some of them are written by writers from the show. The comics Tales of the Slayers and Tales of the Vampires I believe are considered canon.

Personally, I consider both the novels and the comics to be canon, but that's just my own personal head canon. There's nothing really in the novels that contradicts anything from the show or S8 and beyond anyway, so I don't see the harm in seeing them as canon. We know so little about the Slayers that came before Buffy, it's nice to just have something to relate to, even though it doesn't hold up sometimes.

I love the novels, I think there are some wonderful stories told in them, such different takes on the Slayer and her life and how it can go wrong for some people sometimes. How even the Watchers get it wrong and have to face the consequences of their actions. I think they're a great read and I'd recommend them to every BtVS fan.

white avenger

white avenger
The novels Tales of the Slayers aren't canon, even though some of them are written by writers from the show. The comics Tales of the Slayers and Tales of the Vampires I believe are considered canon.
I wasn't even aware of the existence of novels by those titles. I was speaking only of the comic books. Were they hard back or paperback?

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
They were paper back, four volumes. I would guess there are about 30 different short stories, all covering different Slayers. Buffy appears twice, I think, in the second volume, and Nikki Wood shows up in Volume 4. India Cohen, supposedly Buffy's predecessor according to The Book of Fours, has her own story in Volume 3, and the Slayer from Spike and Dru: Pretty Maids all in a Row, also appears in Volume 3.

intothefire

Townie
Lyri is right, Buffy appears in the second one, and it was written by Marti Noxon I believe which was really weird but it was also a really good story XD I've only read the scond and third but they were both overall pretty good. Some of the stories were a little more on the half-baked side...I didn't even know they were comics, I just thought they were the novels.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
The comics are different stories, none of the Slayers from the novels appear in the comics. One of the stories in the comics was written by Joss Whedon, which is why it, and it's sister series, Tales of the Vampires, got it's canonical status. There's also a story in the comic version written by Amber Benson, I think Jane Espenson penned another. It's also a really good series.

It was things like the Tales of the Slayer series (both versions) that made me think that something like that could have worked for TV. This was before American Horror story took off, but I think a show set out like that (same actors, different story every season) would be perfect for Tales of the Slayers. A story about a different Slayer every season. The show was so heavily based on the mythology of the Slayer, but we only ever dealt with three. Slayers that came before Buffy were never even mentioned. This is why I view both the comic and the novels as my own personal canon. Because at least then I have something.

intothefire

Townie
True. I mean, a tv series/comic series/movies based on tales of the slayer would be easier to do than a revamp of buffy, because it's set in the same series but would require different storylines each season, yea, kinda like American Horror Story. Somebody call joss XD

thrasherpix

Scooby
The one I read was perhaps my favorite anthology. Each one in the particular anthology was about the Slayer in the Cruciamentum, IIRC. Some were clever. One ended with the Slayer herself being made into a vampire with unexpected effects. It also included the story of Nicki Wood. Another was about a vampire coming out of the grave and what it was like for him, and how he (the demon) saw the world, and apparently had an instinctive fear of the Slayer hardwired into him, though not as powerful as say mice to cats, but as he came upon the Slayer (obvious to the reader), the vampire wasn't sure what she was but instinct told him to run. (It's been many years since I read it and may not be remembering it exactly right.)

Top Bottom