• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Tara was meant to have died sooner

Btvs fan

Scooby
According to Amber Benson. Looks like Tara was originally meant to be the sacrifice Willow makes rather than the empty stab bambi and barf a snake that happened.
I think storytelling wise that would've worked better though I'm sure people will disagree with that. But it would've developed Willow resentment of Buffy for the inevitable heel turn and clash better than Magic is crack.

tarasamber
tarasamber
This will be much traumatizing if ever it happened

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Amber Benson said:
"I was like, 'Oh… oh, yes…. That sounds… awesome… yeah.'"
lol I don't know how else I would react either if Joss Whedon pulled me aside to tell me my character's gonna die.

Last edited:

Priceless

Scooby
I thought it had to be blood of the innocent, and there is no way Tara is an innocent. Nor is there anyway Willow would have sacrificed Tara, not even to bring back Buffy.

Btvs fan

Scooby
What? No, it doesn't.
That's a supposition of mine but from this
"Although she was told that it would be early in season 6, she stated that it was changed multiple times before they finally settled on episode 19."

From a story point that would seem the obvious point, juxtaposition of Willow bringing Buffy back but then losing something close to her while she does it

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
Then don't say according to Amber. It's really dishonest to make it so unclear what comes from her and what comes from you.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Looks like Tara was originally meant to be the sacrifice Willow makes rather than the empty stab bambi and barf a snake that happened.
I think storytelling wise that would've worked better though I'm sure people will disagree with that. But it would've developed Willow resentment of Buffy for the inevitable heel turn and clash better than Magic is crack.
It would also be a surprise to the audience if Amber Benson had been added to the opening credits of Season 6 Bargaining and then been killed off that same episode (something Joss wanted to do- adding a character to the opening credits then killing them off in the same episode). It was so random Tara suddenly appearing in the opening credits of Seeing Red, however her appearing at the beginning of Season 6 wouldn't raise any suspicions since she was practically a regular. I think Tara is also the only scooby member not to appear in the opening credits (until her death episode).

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Doomstar Requiem
Black Thorn
Then don't say according to Amber. It's really dishonest to make it so unclear what comes from her and what comes from you.
That's unnecessarily rude. All you had to say was that you'd found evidence to the contrary. 🙄

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
That wouldn't be true. I didn't stumble upon some contradictory evidence somewhere. I opened the link provided and found that the description of what it contained was misleading.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
According to Amber Benson. Looks like Tara was originally meant to be the sacrifice Willow makes rather than the empty stab bambi and barf a snake that happened.

Sometimes I think that an actor/writer on the show will remember some idea that was had, and they'll mention it in an interview. Then all of a sudden, the media will put it in the headline to get views. I doubt that this was ever seriously considered. From what I've read thru the years, it seems that quite a few fan theories have started this way. Just saying.

Oh, and just for the record, I hate this idea with the heat of a nova! 🤬

Btvs fan

Scooby
Sometimes I think that an actor/writer on the show will remember some idea that was had, and they'll mention it in an interview. Then all of a sudden, the media will put it in the headline to get views. I doubt that this was ever seriously considered. From what I've read thru the years, it seems that quite a few fan theories have started this way. Just saying.

However, as time went on, it became clear that Whedon's excitement for this might have faded somewhat. Amber tells us that Joss "kept putting it off," and in fact, Tara's death was actually supposed to happen at the beginning of season six.
"He just kept pushing it further back. It kept getting pushed further and further down the line [laughs]. I think there was a part of him that didn’t really want to do it."

She seems very certain and specific, I doubt she's exaggerating like you're suggesting

Full interview here

Last edited:

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.

Amber only says that the timing of Tara's death was pushed back. She doesn't say anything about it potentially happening in a different manner. It's certainly not implied that Willow was going to be the murderer.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Amber only says that the timing of Tara's death was pushed back. She doesn't say anything about it potentially happening in a different manner. It's certainly not implied that Willow was going to be the murderer.
No I doubt Willow was going to actually murder her. If I had to guess she brings back Buffy which results in Tara dying. Essentially its similar to the choice Gunn has in Angel S5 where he lets the Sarcophagus through customs and knew someone would pay a price but admits he didn't think it would be one of the actual gang.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
However, as time went on, it became clear that Whedon's excitement for this might have faded somewhat. Amber tells us that Joss "kept putting it off," and in fact, Tara's death was actually supposed to happen at the beginning of season six.
"He just kept pushing it further back. It kept getting pushed further and further down the line [laughs]. I think there was a part of him that didn’t really want to do it."

She seems very certain amd specific, I doubt she's exaggerating like you're suggesting
According to the story, Joss only said that he originally planned to kill her character off sometime early in season 6, and that it kept getting put off. It never seemed that he/writers had been set on any idea. I'm guessing that there were several other ideas not mentioned in this story.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Story wise, it would have made a lot more sense, since magical ghost deer hardly had the same impact. And a life for a life seems more consistent with the rules of magic, as opposed to deer avatar that was never really alive in the first place. But I can't see Willow or the show getting away with that. Indirect kill, well, the ancient gods were petty and cruel, and infected mankind with suffering, insane funeral procedures and Set. ... Wait, did Willow kill Zordon? She was a witch...

But to be reasonable, the basic story, Willow's boyfriend dies and Willow goes mad on power and revenge has been a planned story in the writers room since season 2, odds are, they had every scenario scoped out.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
Story wise, it would have made a lot more sense, since magical ghost deer hardly had the same impact. And a life for a life seems more consistent with the rules of magic, as opposed to deer avatar that was never really alive in the first place. But I can't see Willow or the show getting away with that. Indirect kill, well, the ancient gods were petty and cruel, and infected mankind with suffering, insane funeral procedures and Set. ... Wait, did Willow kill Zordon? She was a witch...

But to be reasonable, the basic story, Willow's boyfriend dies and Willow goes mad on power and revenge has been a planned story in the writers room since season 2, odds are, they had every scenario scoped out.
Deer avatar? Perhaps it is because I live in a place where deer are basically just big rodents and everywhere, but I always thought Willow just magically attracted a real deer to herself? It has been a while since I watched that scene though, so I might be forgetting some detail to the contrary

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
Deer avatar?
Willow's incantation implies that the fawn is indeed an avatar for some higher being.

"Adonai, Helomi, Pine. Adonai, Helomi, Pine. The gods do command thee from thy majesty. O Mappa Laman, Adonai, Helomi, Pine. Come forward Blessed One. Know your calling. Come forward, Blessed One. Accept our humble gratitude for your offering. In death... give life. May you find wings to the kingdom."

Adonai is hebrew for God, so she may be summoning one of God's angels.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
"Adoni" is closer to the Title of Master or Lord rather than a proper Divine Name, it's also the root for Adonis. I don't know whom any of those gods are supposed to be, but I can guess what "Wine of the Mother" is supposed to mean. I would say, in general, what we saw was some Avatar of the mother goddess, given physical form and butchered for Willow's needs. I don't think it was intended to be a fawn or other natural creature.

N.B. Avatar means an incarnation or manifestation of the Divine in some sort of cartesian veneer. It's from Hinduism, which can get quite complicated, but generally speaking, an Idol or a appearance in a myth isn't a god proper, but a manifestation of the godhead, of the Divine. Like let's say, David Bowie had Henson make him a Jareth Puppet, and then Jareth appeared on the Muppet Show. That would be Bowie's Avatar.

Reason: Addendum
Last edited:

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
Willow's incantation implies that the fawn is indeed an avatar for some higher being.

"Adonai, Helomi, Pine. Adonai, Helomi, Pine. The gods do command thee from thy majesty. O Mappa Laman, Adonai, Helomi, Pine. Come forward Blessed One. Know your calling. Come forward, Blessed One. Accept our humble gratitude for your offering. In death... give life. May you find wings to the kingdom."

Adonai is hebrew for God, so she may be summoning one of God's angels.
I had repressed that incanation, because I don't like that scene and prefer to skip it, don't think it conflicts with the fawn being real though, just graced with a supernatural being. Though, I have to agree, with the rules of magic it seems like a human life would have been a more fitting sacrifice in the balance of things.

It is funny that though it's years after taking Hebrew, I cringe when seeing the term Adonai used in this sense. I would even say it offends me a little. (not any you, the writers of the episode who put it in there)

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
It is funny that though it's years after taking Hebrew, I cringe when seeing the term Adonai used in this sense. I would even say it offends me a little. (not any you, the writers of the episode who put it in there)
Could you elaborate on that? I get that it is taking the name of the lord in vain, but is it more than that?

Top Bottom