• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Tara wouldn't have allowed The Scoobies to turn on Buffy...

forbuss

Witch
Sineya
I've suggested on several occasions, on several forums, rewriting Season 7 with the simple change of swapping Spike's arc with Faith and vice versa. It would have to include Faith's involvement in Season 4 "Angel," which would work if Spike had gone to Angel for help with his new soul and Buffy finding Faith, battered, bruised, and barely coherent, maybe babbling about eyeless monsters attacking her prison. Beyond that, their stories could be easily swapped (For instance, instead of Robin coming to town, Alan Finch's sister comes seeking revenge) I think that that change alone would make a really interesting Season 7 alternative, and there's the added benefit for a relatively ignored group of shippers (Fuffy) to get some major coverage.

Anyone with the time, talent, and inclination to take on an episode by episode project (I, unfortunately, have none of those) is more than welcome to the idea.
Any potential to write out the potentials? If so, I'm in.

white avenger

white avenger
Limit the number of Potentials to just one or two, or even just make them be a couple of Dawn's schoolmates, but Kennedy really needs to be there so Tara can put her in her proper place very quickly. Maybe the ubervamp could mess her up badly early in the story.

And make Wood a full fledged minion of the First Evil, working secretly with Caleb to infiltrate Buffy's gang That way, Spike or Faith can beat the s**t out of him when they find out about it.

And, regarding Caleb, the fight in the wine cellar would have worked out much better if Buffy, Spike, and Faith had taken him on together, with none of the Potentials or Xander to have to worry about. They kill Caleb after a hard fight, then discover that Wood has been in cahoots with him all along. Once that is found out, Wood escapes and commands the Bringers for the rest of the Season.

(As I said, I don't have the time or talent to do anything of this scale, but I've been thinking about it, off and on, almost since the finale first aired. Good luck if you want to take the project on, and I look forward to reading it)

thrasherpix

Scooby
And she ends Wood with the rocket launcher after all.

Come to think of it, if they still want to be lazy, they could have Buffy bring the rocket launcher earlier, and though it only wounds Caleb, it destroys the floor enough that she finds the Scythe.

Hey, it's a lot better than he practically leads her there, and then tumbles over a barrel so she sees the opening that she instantly dives through (she should've snarked about it not being gift wrapped for her).

burrunjor
burrunjor
The First really was a thicko in some ways. He had an army that he could have sprung at any point and killed his enemies, but he waited until they had found the weapons that could beat him, which they only found because he dug them up.

white avenger

white avenger
any good fanfic that replaces the season 7 we got? (And by that I don't mean season 7 with a Mary Sue/Marty Stu in it to yell at everyone, but instead gives us a completely different arc that includes little to none of season 7, preferably no First Evil.)
Any potential to write out the potentials? If so, I'm in.
As I first said, only subtle changes could make the whole Season very different. Eliminate the First Evil and most of the Potentials, make Caleb and Wood the two Big Bads, use something different for the army of Bringers (the ubervamp was unique to that Season, so really doesn't have to be linked with F E)

Another thing. Have Xander and Giles raid the local abandoned hardware and sporting goods stores for axes, hatchets, bows & arrows, machetes, any sort of thing that could be used as a weapon. No reason to have to fight a war armed with just a few sharp sticks and your bare hands, Get rid of the Scythe, its a clumsy awkward chunk of steel. An enchanted sword, (maybe actually even Excalibur, since Buffy, as the Slayer, would be the only one worthy to draw it from its stone base) though a total cliche in this sort of thing, would have worked much better.

burrunjor

Potential
For me series 7 would have been better if they'd not done series 6 the same way LOL.

They should have dumped the Trio. (Sorry but I thought they were crap villains all around) and spun the First evil arc over two seasons.

In s6 they should have had it infiltrate Buffy's group, drag Willow down a dark path, play on Buffy's depression, try and break Spike by making out that the Scoobies and Buffy would never accept him, which he would reject at first because he was getting closer to Buffy, but say when she maybe confided in the rest of the gang and went back to rejecting him, he'd go nuts and betray them to the first. (That could be the catalyst for him wanting to get his soul instead of the AR, as his betrayal could say nearly end up in the first's minion that he betrayed them too being able to kill Dawn, which per Intervention would horrify him.)

You could even have the First put the poison in between Xander and Anya. Maybe it could assume the form of Anya's former victims to remind Xander of the horrors she has commited, and taunt him about his hypocrisy in how hard he was against Angel and how Angel suffered in hell because of how he lied to Buffy "kick his ass" whilst he is happy to marry someone even worse.

The First would break and separate the gang in S6. It could also drive Dawn mad by appearing as Joyce's ghost and telling her that her spell to bring Joyce back in Forever had left her spirit trapped here and get Dawn to perform a ritual to supposedly free her mom's soul (That would obviously benefit the First in some way.)

All the while this was going on, the Scoobies would battle one of its minions, Caleb that they would assume was the new Big Bad, but who was merely a pawn of the First, who they had no idea was pulling them apart. The First would also be putting other plans into action around the globe, whilst it stopped the Scoobies from figuring out what was going on.

At the end of the series Buffy would figure it all out, but then the First would possess Willow. It wouldn't simply take her over however, it would be more like Venom in Spider-Man, IE brings out a bad element in her.

The end of the series would see the First having wiped out the Watchers, Giles presumed dead (though he isn't) Spike having regained his soul, Tara still being alive, and Willow unable to use her magics out of fear of possession. The ending of s6 would also see the first spring its first Ubervamp unknown to the gang to begin it's war now that it's crippled it's enemies.

S7 would then focus on the Ubervamps. Explore their back story, show them taking over Sunnydale and slaughtering most of the population, show how regular Vampires and Demons live in fear of them and would even be forced into an alliance with Buffy and the gang for an episode or two. (Kind of like Blade 2, only with Buffy monsters.)

I'd ditch the potentials story entirely, and simply have Faith show up mid season to help the gang now that Sunnydale was becoming Ubervamp country. (Giles would also reappear here.)

You'd have Buffy and Faith become friends. (I'm not sure how I feel about their romance. I hate to say I used to think that it was just a case of fans reading a romantic subtext into a villainous relationship. I'm fed up of that. Sometimes a villain/hero relationship works because it's straight forward. Still in all fairness the actors and the writers have all said that was the intention so who am I to argue with them. It might be a bit late in the day to bring in a romance in S7, but I wouldn't object at all to the two Slayers developing a close bond that people could imagine would lead that way. I certainly wouldn't focus it all on Spuffy.)

I'd also develop a friendship between Faith and Spike too. They needed more scenes together. Tara and Willow would reconcile towards the end of the season and have a happy ending in my version.

Half way through season 7, Buffy would find out that the Turok Han were just a part of its plan, and that the First was planning something even bigger underneath and that would set the stage for the last battle. Caleb could also return, having be raised from the dead when he was killed horribly. (He would be a really gross, Zombie like thing.) Buffy and the gang would banish the First and destroy its army of Uber Vamps before they could spread across the world and that would be how they changed the world. The First being gone would have a domino effect as it had its fingers in quite a lot of evil pies. Spike would still die a heroes death, so we could get the brilliant Pavayne story arc in Angel season 5.

As for Wood I didn't mind him. I'd be happy to include him, but maybe not have his weird relationship with Faith, and have Spike be more remorseful and actually save his life at the end and not earn his forgiveness, but at least have Wood see he was a different person to the old Spike.

I'm only not sure about Wood as a villain because we already had that with Holtz the previous season.

Last edited:
thrasherpix
thrasherpix
The First could drive them mad simply by not letting them sleep (and gods help them if they use sleeping meds), and a few anonymous tips (and maybe ghostly visitations) to the police to expose Faith, and those hiding the felon. Needs some justice!

white avenger

white avenger
You'd have Buffy and Faith become friends.
I always hoped that Buffy and Faith could become good friends, like all the partner teams in all the police shows. Having them that close, especially with the combination of their similarities intermixing with their differences could have made for some great sub plots. As for them being lovers, I'm wouldn't think that it would work out too well, but there might be some kind of "except for that one night," (or weekend) sort of ting that would be just another integral element in their bond. You'd never really know if it had been real, or just a fluke brought on by some sort of very unique temporary circumstance.

I'd also develop a friendship between Faith and Spike too
Now, a semi-romance situation between Spike and Faith (they just tease each other about their "secret unspoken thing" that everyone else knows and wonders about, too) could have made for another great ongoing sub-plot element.

(Y'all know that this thread has become completely hijacked from the original question, right? Interesting as it is, maybe we should start a separate discussion.)

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Make Tara the Big Bad. The scoobies will never see it coming. This would be a mind-bending twist for the audience. Maybe her father was right, she would turn demonic after age 20 whereupon she is in constant contact with the First Evil in the same way Cordelia ruled the Beast on Angel. She would recruit Willow and we would get a different kind of Dark Willow, one owned and operated by Tara. But Tara would still have the sweet personality we all know her for.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
To steal from both the Bible and the Lord of the Rings, I would have Buffy realize that a lot of her charges have no stomach for fighting, that a few months earlier that they would have been shopping at the mall, to only now be child soldiers. I would have had Buffy test the girls to find the bravest and best of the girls, siphon the potential out of them, create a small force of super-potential, and send the girls home, no longer targets of the First. However, so moved by her mercy, they stay with the slayers, to take up a support role. That way, you are juggling few speaking characters with more believable skill levels.

To be fair, while I think the story was stupid, Tara would have had no pull at that meeting. Aside from maybe keeping Kennedy's claws out of Willow.

white avenger

white avenger
Make Tara the Big Bad.
Wasn't that one of Joss' ideas, to have the First vil come back as Tara and mess with Willow's head, but Amber Benson didn't wast to portray Tara as being evil? Other than that, yes, to have sweet, loyal, wise Tara's character switched around so completely would have been a great plot element, especially if the change was originally so subtle that no one noticed it at first (She could have claimed to have been sent back by the Guardians to help the team at their moment of greatest need. We really did need to have more about the Guardians than that one brief scene, anyway)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Wasn't that one of Joss' ideas, to have the First vil come back as Tara and mess with Willow's head, but Amber Benson didn't wast to portray Tara as being evil?
I don't think it was so much Tara being evil, it was the fact that you would've had Tara telling another character to kill themselves. AB had received letters from fans thanking her for playing Tara and how the character had helped them so she felt it would be a disservice to those people to then have Tara tell Willow she should kill herself.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I never understood that reasoning. It's like saying Amy is guilty of everything her mother did was possessing her body when it wasn't Amy. And the First wasn't Tara...it actually would've made the First more horrifying to use Tara's memory so.

While Buffy gets a lot of crap this season (and I'm one of those willing to dish it out), I don't know anyone who holds what the First did while in Buffy's form against Buffy (or seeing it as the actress promoting misogyny and child killings).

AstridDante

Potential
I think Tara would definitely not have jumped on the bandwagon and would have been more inclined to hear Buffy out. In fact I think she would highly disapprove of the others asking Buffy to leave her own house. I would imagine her more venting her feelings about it after the fact and telling the scoobies they were unfair. I loved the little glimpses we got into Tara and Buffy’s friendship in Season 6.

Top Bottom