• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Tara's dad

sosa lola

Scooby
Did Tara's father make up the lie about her and her mother being demons before or after Tara's mother's death? It was implied that Tara's mother was a powerful witch. Did she really believe her husband's lies and submit to him?

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
I can't remember exactly, but I think they do infer that this has been going on in Tara's family for generations, to keep the womenfolk 'in line'......

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
I guess so.....though they don't really explain it. It's glossed over a bit.....the storyline is all about Tara's acceptance into the 'Inner circle' of the Scoobie gang, & the
backstory is only really one line from Spike when he realises what is going on. The rest is just implied iirc.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
When her father shows up one of the things he says is that all the women in their family turn into a evil demon once they are 20 (I think that was the age...or many be just said adult). That is why the family is there, because she needs to come home before turning "evil".

Given that her father had no clue what type of "demon" she was when Anya asked, I think it's safe to assume that it was a lie used to control the witches in the family. Sounds like a lie that is passed down generation to generation in her family.

sosa lola

Scooby
When her father shows up one of the things he says is that all the women in their family turn into a evil demon once they are 20 (I think that was the age...or many be just said adult). That is why the family is there, because she needs to come home before turning "evil".

Given that her father had no clue what type of "demon" she was when Anya asked, I think it's safe to assume that it was a lie used to control the witches in the family. Sounds like a lie that is passed down generation to generation in her family.
Yeah, but Tara's mother was over 20 and she didn't turn into a demon, so shouldn't that be a clue that it was a lie? Unless it was a metaphor for the old "women don't have souls" lie.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
As I said it was never really explained.....but perhaps the lie was that if she came home they had some way of preventing her from becoming a Demon.....but she had to come home for it to work. That way the women would be tied to the family for life, but the lie wouldn't be found out.....

Tara was the first to refuse to come home....thus exposing the con.....?

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Yeah, but Tara's mother was over 20 and she didn't turn into a demon, so shouldn't that be a clue that it was a lie? Unless it was a metaphor for the old "women don't have souls" lie.
The way I interpreted it was that they used the threat of becoming an evil demon as a way to get them to not use their powers. So they believed if they stayed close to the family where they could be watched, and not actively practice magic of any kind then they would be able to keep the demon in them "locked away".

Reactions: sk

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I always wondered why Cousin Beth was in on it to bring Tara home. I mean, in a few years that would of been her
I think Cousin Beth might have already been brought into line unfortunately.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Yeah, I find it hard to believe Tara's mom actually believed she was a demon. It seemed she grew up knowing magic, and I don't think just because her husband told her she was a demon she would believe it. She also taught Tara magic (maybe in private) so she clearly wasn't worried about that. My guess would be she didn't buy it, but let her husband tell everyone that so that Tara believed it. Possibly she planned on telling Tara the truth when she was older but died before she could.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The only way it makes sense is if the Women in the McClay family become demons, not Tara’s Mother’s family. If Tara never met her paternal grandmother, or any of his Father’s sister, then maybe? Nothing about her background makes any sense, just enjoy the Anvilicious story.

thrasherpix

Scooby
They couldn't have been powerful witches or they would not submit to men like Tara's dad.

Perhaps something went terribly wrong somehow. We know Tara's grandmother had a Doll's Eye crystal so maybe that was used for something that caused something bad which created fear and/or guilt within the grandmother and Tara's mother. Perhaps it wasn't gotten rid of out of fear that it would inevitably cause trouble if released from its bindings or protection (so Tara made a mistake in taking it out, and maybe she was able to take it out because she'd learned enough to bypass the minor glamors of her grandmother, and I'd guess she'd look for something like that after her mother died and found it then, though why she'd give it to Willow doesn't make sense to me in that case unless Tara was also scared of it, or perhaps just feeling guilty about having taken it in the first place).

Or if we accept the season 6 retcon then the grandmother and mother got into a magic addiction thing (which could've resulted in the death of Tara's mother), but rather than going cold turkey they just locked some of it away. Come to think of it, I like this idea. I found Tara painfully and abrasively dogmatic in season 6, in a way she hadn't been in previous seasons, but if she'd seen magic addiction before (that could make a person go all black eyed and demonic) then that could help explain why she bought into magic was demonic (and thus those who used it were part demonic), and also why her attitude changed in season 6--and why she couldn't articulate it since it would be to speak against her mother and grandmother--as she was seeing the same pattern manifest in Willow that she'd seen her own mother and grandmother, the same thing that struck Little Girl Tara as demonic as her father said (even plenty of kids can see mundane drugs/alcohol as being like a demon, but this would have additional flashy effects).

Top Bottom