• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Ted VS. I was Made to Love You

Mr Trick

Scooby
Which robot themed episode do you prefer?

I'd go with Ted for John Ritter's performance and because of how powerful the scene is when Buffy thinks she's killed a human.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Yeah, definitely Ted, I just love the episode itself and, as you said, Ritter's performance. It was such an unexpected role from him and so well-done. I like I Was Made to Love You but it doesn't even compare, imo.

spikenbuffy

My true nature. You want a taste ?
I Was Made To Love You!!!

I love April and interactions between Buffy & April, plus the scene between Xander & Buffy when Buffy said that she doesn't need a man is amazing. I also symphatize a lot with Warren 's intentions of why he made a robot girl.

But I like the Ted episode A LOT but I don't like that Joyce doesn't trust when Buffy said to her that he threatened her. Plus Ted isn't as sympatic as April.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
That's true.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
"Ted." Ted was the better Robot Episode, whereas "IWMTLY" was the better episode overall. Ted was like "Wow, I didn't see that coming, but I should have." whereas "Hmm, Britney Spears would have been great in this episode. Hey, there's Warren! And Xander is apparently a general contractor now. Oh, nice flowers." But both, as far as MOTW go, above average episodes.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Its true that the actress playing April was good. Not sure what it would have been like if Britney had taken the part.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Its hard to say. My guess is the actress playing April is better at acting whereas Britney is a better natural performer. I do wonder if it would have been too distracting having such a mega star take the role.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Ted. In one way it was a nice throwaway episode, in another it was really great foreshadowing.
IWMTLY is a pretty funny Buffy episode but it starts the shows shift more towards too much of the mad science we get in S6. Ice-rays and invisibility guns and robot doubles. sigh

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I love Ted so for reasons already stated, like John Ritter and Buffy thinking she’d killed a man (also the sheer creep factor of a closet full of ex-wives), that’s my pick.

I know I was really down on the idea of Britney on the show at the time, in hindsight though... the actress is fine, don’t get me wrong, I like her, but the pop cultural status of having Britney Spears there would really have elevated I was made to love you to another level.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I hated "Ted". I watch TV for entertainment, not a graphic display of domestic abuse, which I could never find entertaining. It also underscores Joyce's refusal to listen to Buffy at all, a theme that continues throughout the show.

I liked "I Was Made to Love You". The story was excellent, the actress playing April was excellent and everything worked. The end of April sounds eerily reminiscent of the Mars rover saying "My battery is low and it's getting dark". The robot seems lifelike and having "her" "die" in a children's playground seems especially poignant. And who doesn't like Spike getting thrown through a window?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
the pop cultural status of having Britney Spears there would really have elevated I was made to love you to another level.
Exactly. It would have brought tons of new eyes onto the product and would have made the episode one of the most recognizable ones.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
"I Was Made to Love You." It deals with its subject matter better and it packs a stronger emotional punch. The last scene with Buffy and April is heartbreaking.

Ted is more central to Buffy's story, because Buffy's original trauma was the implosion of the nuclear family. However, the only scene that really works for me is the one where Angel tells Buffy to consider her mother's side of things. I love John Ritter, but his character is too whimsical.

There are three conflicts in the episode. 1) Buffy has a step dad, and she does not want one. 2) Buffy's step dad is creepy and abusive. 3) Buffy is a murderer. All the conflicts are dealt with in the cheapest of ways, and the last one feels very out of place.

Sometimes it works to mix sci fy and real life. Other times, it does not.

Mr Trick

Scooby
"I Was Made to Love You." It deals with its subject matter better and it packs a stronger emotional punch. The last scene with Buffy and April is heartbreaking.

Ted is more central to Buffy's story, because Buffy's original trauma was the implosion of the nuclear family. However, the only scene that really works for me is the one where Angel tells Buffy to consider her mother's side of things. I love John Ritter, but his character is too whimsical.

There are three conflicts in the episode. 1) Buffy has a step dad, and she does not want one. 2) Buffy's step dad is creepy and abusive. 3) Buffy is a murderer. All the conflicts are dealt with in the cheapest of ways, and the last one feels very out of place.

Sometimes it works to mix sci fy and real life. Other times, it does not.
I'm not sure I think the whole time Buffy thinks she's killed Ted is more emotionally gripping than the ending of IWMTOLY.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
I'm not sure I think the whole time Buffy thinks she's killed Ted is more emotionally gripping than the ending of IWMTOLY.
Those scenes would be fine by themselves, but they don't work within the episode. Ted is too bizarre of a character and too obviously some kind of supernatural thing. And it's like they did not have enough faith in the original theme to let it stand on its own. "Ted" does not hold together and it does not take itself seriously. It jumps from thing to thing. There's nothing as unfulfilling as fake drama with no stakes and no consequences.

They did the "murder" thing better in S3 with Faith and Buffy.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Those scenes would be fine by themselves, but they don't work within the episode. Ted is too bizarre of a character and too obviously some kind of supernatural thing. And it's like they did not have enough faith in the original theme to let it stand on its own. "Ted" does not hold together and it does not take itself seriously. It jumps from thing to thing. There's nothing as unfulfilling as fake drama with no stakes and no consequences.

They did the "murder" thing better in S3 with Faith and Buffy.
I don't think it was obvious that Ted was supernatural. That's the point of the episode that he comes across as very human, whilst being a little too phony with it. But then there are people like that in the world. When you see his job as a salesman that again plays into that.

WillowFromBuffy

Stalky the Clown!
I don't think it was obvious that Ted was supernatural. That's the point of the episode that he comes across as very human, whilst being a little too phony with it. But then there are people like that in the world. When you see his job as a salesman that again plays into that.
Even if he was not supernatural, Ted is still too much of a caricature for his death to feel meaningful. BtVS is usually good at mixing different tones and genres, but in this episode, nothing comes together.

There are bits that are good on its own. Ted is funny. Buffy's initial reaction to Ted gives us insight into how she deals with her parents' divorce. SMG gets an opportunity to show off her acting chops after she "kills" Ted. But taken as a whole, it is just a mess.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Even if he was not supernatural, Ted is still too much of a caricature for his death to feel meaningful. BtVS is usually good at mixing different tones and genres, but in this episode, nothing comes together.

There are bits that are good on its own. Ted is funny. Buffy's initial reaction to Ted gives us insight into how she deals with her parents' divorce. SMG gets an opportunity to show off her acting chops after she "kills" Ted. But taken as a whole, it is just a mess.
But I think its more about the effect it has on Joyce and just the morality issue of Buffy having killed a human.

I think two episodes are close in that they both have good points and both have flaws. I just think Ted hits home more than IWMTLY IMO.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
Both are good, but Ted has always been a standout from Season 2. Fantastic casting with John Ritter, and a really unsettling feeling throughout the whole thing. One of the few Buffy episodes that actually captures a feeling of helplessness, seeing as no one else seems to notice Ted's abusive behaviour. I Was Made To Love You, though enjoyable in its own way, is about some creep that makes a woman he can have sex with.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
If I were to watch one of those two it would probably be I Was Made To Love You. There's a lot of really good Tara moments in there. And to me that's when I start to like Tara. I think the actress playing April does a great job. I love Spike trying to hit on her then she throws him out the window. And Buffy's like "that was great, but let's talk." lol. I do enjoy Ted, cause John Ritter is great, and I love season 2. With Ted the robot reveal comes a lot later, which really impacts the story, because up until then we presumed he was a normal person, whereas they figured out April was a robot pretty quickly. So, I like both episodes, but if I had to pop one in it would be IWMTLY.

Top Bottom