1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Ten Canon-Worthy Moments from "Angel: After The Fall"

Discussion in 'Angel: After the Fall' started by VisionGirl, Sep 6, 2011.

1. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    Read the rest of the article here: http://www.whedonopolis.com/article.php?story=20110905084322943

Do you agree?

2. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

Well, no one in the IDW comics had sex and gave birth to a universe, so canon isn't always better.

I really enjoyed all of the moments listed in the article. I'd hate for Dark Horse to ignore all of them, but I do see why they won't acknowledge their competitor's work as canon.

I honestly can't think of any such canon-worthy moments from S8. In fact I'd prefer if it was the other way around with ATF being canon and S8 being ignored.

But as long as Angel & Faith remains good then I will accept things as they are.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. Hale Caesar

Hale Caesar Sunnydale Nerd

IMO, "After the Fall" was a lot better than Season 8. Space-Sex, flying Buffy, and Twilight are all perfect examples, they do seem to be redeeming themselves with "Angel and Faith" though. Regardless, great job IDW and a great list.

4. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

I'm right there with you, Caesar. (You know, for some reason, whenever I see your name I don't think of the historical figure. I always think of the Planet of the Apes movies)

There's a lot about season 8's canon that I would gladly trade away to have aspects of ATF canon. Especially the ways the characters matured. As the article said, Angel and Spikes relationship was very interesting and had come a long way. It sucks that the events of season 8 basically made all of that "2 steps forward, 2 thousand steps back."

Hale Caesar: I got my name from Terry Crew's character in "The Expendables" lol, I love that movie
  5. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

Sineya
    I haven't read ATF (1-16) since I originally read it but this thread piqued my interest again. I'm half way through and all I have to say is, can I have this Angel and this Fang Gang back please?

I'm with [MENTION=11302]The Scourge[/MENTION], screw S8 and make this official canon.

6. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

[MENTION=7585]Kean[/MENTION]

I doubt we will ever see the Fang Gang back. In an interview someone asked Christos Gage if we will ever see them again and he replied: "The Fang Gang? Who is that? Angel and Spike?"

He doesn't seem to know who they are.

7. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

Sineya
    A couple days ago he was asked would more Angel characters show up in A&F and he said "it is looking more and more likely". We already know Connor and Illyria will feature, Spike is on S9, so that means Gunn, Lorne, Groo, Gwen, Kate, Nina could show. Everyone else is dead.

8. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

I know Connor will show up, but I keep hearing that Illyria will only be in the Buffy books because Joss "has plans" for her.

I doubt Lorne will show, I thought the retired his character out of respect for Andy Hallet. Unless Dark Horse thinks differently.

I don't really care much about Nina or Kate. Groo might be nice to see. I would LOVE it if Gunn and Gwen joined in a more permanent capacity.

Wes could still feature in some way if he is still bound to Wolfram & Hart, unless Dark Horse is just going to ignore Angel's main foe.

9. Hale Caesar

Reading this thread makes me miss Gunn, Wesley and Cordelia so much. Damn it, I need to watch some Angel season 3 now...

10. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

This thread inspired me to finally order Angel season 2 from Amazon.

11. Hale Caesar

Have you watched Angel yet? It's amazing, and gets better every season. Order all the seasons if you can

12. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

Sineya
    I'd die for some Gunn, although Cordy and Wes would be my real choices. I won't hold my breath for that though.

13. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

Yeah, I watched all the Buffyverse early last year. I watched Buffy first, and finished the whole series in little more than a week. I liked it for the most part. There were a lot of iffy moments though. Season 1 is very dated, season 4 was terribad, Glory was more annoying than threatening, GIles sometimes seemed OOC in seasons 6 and 7, the Trio sucked, The First wasn't scary, the Potentials were annoying, and the Scoobies betrayed Buffy. So while I thought the series went downhill the longer it was on, I really enjoyed the show.

Then I started Angel. I was blown away by how awesome it was. I've always been a fan of dark, moody shows and movies so Angel was great. With such awesome bad guys like Wolfram & Hart, Angel cemented itself as even better than Buffy in my opinion. Lindsey, Lilah, Holland, Gavin; they were better than any villain Buffy had since season 3. And other than some WTF decisions in season 4, and the first half of season 5, the show was excellent.

Wow, that was long. I'm gonna try to post something on topic here (shocking, I know!):

Does IDW allowed to make TPB and HC collections of their Angel run or does that have to stop now that Dark Horse owns everything? I'd hate for IDW's work to disappear because of it being forced out of print.

14. Hale Caesar

I completely agree. I feel Angel is much better than BtVS. I feel the writers on Buffy kept the show going longer than it needed to be, and as a result we got seasons that varied in quality. Another huge problem I found with BtVS was characters developed what I like to call "Xander Syndrome", where characters finish developing and have nothing to do (Giles and Xander are 2 characters who caught this illness).

Another thing was the writers tried to keep fans happy, and it came across as forced, Spike in season 4 was a joke, James Marsters is awesome but it became a joke to see Spike tied up in a chair most of the season, then they pushed the Spuffy relationship which I thought made no sense, "Hey! I tried to kill you and rape you, but i'm good looking and funny, so let's go out"

With all that I enjoyed BtVS, and i'm just nitpicking

I feel Angel is much more consistent, characters actually have things to do (gasp!) and stay relevant to the show. The villains are all much, much better than BtVS, I enjoyed how Angel didn't have seasonal villains, because Wolfram and Hart are perfect. Lilah and Lindsey are just badass, they have an edge that I like to compare to Spike in season 2. And I like to consider "Not Fade Away" one of the best Buffyverse episodes (OMWF might be slightly better though lol)

Again, I enjoyed Buffy greatly, but I loved Angel.

Wesley Pryce: I Agree with everything except for OMWF being better than NFA..sorry :p although both eps are great :)
  15. The Scourge

The Scourge Scooby

I disagree somewhat about Spike. Yes, in season 4 he was pure comic relief, but I actually liked his development in season 5. Seasons 6 and 7 made me get tired of the character though. Luckily, AtS season 5 and the IDW comics managed to give him some much needed development.Development that I hope Dark Horse doesn't discard.

Not Fade Away was fantastic in every single way. It was the perfect series finale; it felt like an ending even as I thirsted for more.

Still, I consider the comics to be more along the lines of "What could have happened" or "What If?" canon than belonging to the same linear canon as the shows. It results in less rage that way when the comics butcher characters, tv show canon, or give a titular character a new series without his supporting cast.

16. BffyAngelBoi

BffyAngelBoi Townie

I love the entirety of IDW's run of After the Fall and post-Aftermath comics (excluding John Byrne historical pieces - totally unnecessary and don't add anything). I've just re-read the whole series prior to re-reading Season 8, and the writers actually do an amazing job of tying both series together. So much so that when Angel & Faith came out mid-re-read, I started getting the feeling that Dark Horse (namely Joss) is not going to let all of the Fang Gang's growth go by the wayside. Everything Wolfram & Hart did (Hell-A, the massive time fold that allowed Myr to make his move, and more) truly allowed for Angel to become his role in the Twilight prophecy.

Even as wretched as Armstrong's Aftermath arc was, the Powers possible disregard for humanity (more on this in an upcoming post) actually seems to make sense with what we've seen of Whistler's motives so far.

I hope the post-After-the-Fall works are considered canon because so much good does come out of them (Drusilla's Hell-A experience and its repercussions... Conner's evolution and how it could explain some things in his past... Illyria's becoming... and Pancakes!).

17. Enemies

Enemies *insert user title here*

Sineya
    Although I haven't read ATF I'm definitely going to seek it out now. It sounds very good. Thanks for sharing

18. Litheran

Litheran Rebel without a pulse

I think Season 8 was worthy of canon...as in being shot out of one.

Am I the only one who pictures what it would be like if Joss gave them the reins for the comic canon?

There would definitely be some time travel methinks

So many mistakes; so few Deloreans.

19. Wesley Pryce

Wesley Pryce Angel Investigations

Black Thorn
    I couldn't agree more,love Buffy,but Angel is MILES BETTER!!!!!

20. pixd

pixd Townie

Sineya
    I just finished Angel: ATF and the link is leading to a 404 now so I have no idea what the article pointed out; however I'm confused because isn't ATF canon? 1-17 I mean?

And I loved 1-17, and yes it rung truer than S8 of Buffy until the very last couple of issues. I stumbled into Aftermath however and while I love Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series, the art and story lost me quickly. Happy to be moving onto Spike: ATF & Lynch's Spike series (don't care how canon it is, I love his writing).

I'm not sure I agree Angel is tons better - I think there were strong character progressions but this also could've been because of my age at the time I was watching the series as I literally grew up through it all. Re-watching Angel.. only my second time through so maybe my opinion will shift..