• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Age Difference between Angel and Buffy in Season 1

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
In Some Assembly Required, while acting jealous, Angel calls Xander just a kid. Buffy asks him if she's just a kid too?

How much of an issue do you think the age difference between Angel and Buffy was an issue for them at this time?

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
It's a huge difference. Wasn't it more or less the basis for Buffy's halloween outfit? It's also part of the reason why they broke up in season 3. Moreso the experience that comes with age versus age itself, but still, a big difference between the two.

Sineya
It's a huge difference. Wasn't it more or less the basis for Buffy's halloween outfit? It's also part of the reason why they broke up in season 3. Moreso the experience that comes with age versus age itself, but still, a big difference between the two.
Angel was in his 20's when he was sired. If you think of him as having no real development past that point then the age difference is not that much. As for what Buffy believed he would like in a female, that was just supposition on her part and it proved to be false as we saw with the Halloween costume. The breakup was due to the expectation that he would revert to Angelus if they ever had sex again. As we saw in the alternate timeline in "I Will Remember You", there seemed to be no problem with past history or age.

EarthLogic

Kissy th' face!
I think it was a bigger issue for Angel than it was for Buffy at the time. She was a teenager in the grip of her hormones despite also being more mature than her peers because of her Slayerhood, and was obviously head over heels for him. Angel brings up the age difference on at least two ocassions that I can recall: 'I'm older and this can't ever... ('Angel'); 'You're sixteen years old. I'm two hundred and forty one' ('Reptile Boy').

Not that Buffy's not aware of it - she does say 'I've done the math', but I think she feels that it's too late to turn that switch off, and has decided on what she wants.

Wasn't it more or less the basis for Buffy's halloween outfit?
I think the Halloween outfit was more about being the type of girl she thought he'd like - all pretty and flouncy. 'Reptile Boy' was more about the age difference. She resents Angel treating her like a child so she goes to the frat party to prove herself 'grown up', (and ironically also in rebellion at Giles' aggressive scheduling, which she feels is tryng to force her to be too mature.)

Angel was in his 20's when he was sired. If you think of him as having no real development past that point then the age difference is not that much. As for what Buffy believed he would like in a female, that was just supposition on her part and it proved to be false as we saw with the Halloween costume. The breakup was due to the expectation that he would revert to Angelus if they ever had sex again. As we saw in the alternate timeline in "I Will Remember You", there seemed to be no problem with past history or age.
Actually the breakup is at least partly motivated by age - both Joyce and the Mayor make a point of it - but I'd say it's more about the experience that comes with ageing - or the lack of it due to immortality. It's not really that he's older, it's that he's eternal and can't change alongside Buffy. He can't accompany her through those life milestones like a normal person. And of course the major one is the curse. Becoming human in IWRY solves both those things.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
That's because that was her teen thought process.
That's partly true, but I can see even my mother doing something like that (and she's nearly 50 years old). Obviously, my mom lacks maturity, but plenty women of any age would've done something similar. It has more to due with how our culture encourages women to please men or to change in order to "keep" them.

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
It has more to due with how our culture encourages women to please men or to change in order to "keep" them.
There's a difference between wanting to please your man, which is normal and acceptable, and then thinking just because your man grew up in a certain era he likes his current girlfriend to look like a woman from that era. I think if it were an 'adult' Buffy that thought would never enter her mind. More the opposite: screw you bucko, I ain't wearing no damn corset for you.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
There's a difference between wanting to please your man, which is normal and acceptable, and then thinking just because your man grew up in a certain era he likes his current girlfriend to look like a woman from that era. I think if it were an 'adult' Buffy that thought would never enter her mind. More the opposite: screw you bucko, I ain't wearing no damn corset for you.
Of course, wanting to please your partner is normal, but plenty of people take it to the extreme. People of any age. I do agree that adult Buffy would've been more mature. And definitely of the "screw you bucko, I ain't wearing no damn corset for you" mentality, lol. Actually, season 3 Buffy wouldn't have done it! However, a lot of adult women would've followed Buffy's train of thought, imo - which is why that argument isn't strictly about age.

EarthLogic

Kissy th' face!
Of course, wanting to please your partner is normal, but plenty of people take it to the extreme. People of any age. I do agree that adult Buffy would've been more mature. And definitely of the "screw you bucko, I ain't wearing no damn corset for you" mentality, lol. Actually, season 3 Buffy wouldn't have done it! However, a lot of adult women would've followed Buffy's train of thought, imo - which is why that argument isn't strictly about age.
Yeah I don't think S3 Buffy would have done it either. Also remember in that episode Buffy's feelings of inadequacy come right off the back of seeing Cordelia throwing herself at Angel. She's comparing herself to the standard of beauty and femininity that Cordy flaunts and is apparently so popular by - always neatly dressed and made up, no signs of battle. It's pretty clear in the scene where she and Willow look through the Watcher's diary that she doesn't consider herself pretty - then of course Cordy walks in expertly touching up her makeup. So Buffy's motivations in that episode are framed around her rivalry with Cordelia as much as her desire to 'please/attract' Angel.

white avenger

white avenger
Assuming that we're not counting vampire years, Angel was supposed to be in his middle twenty's and Buffy hadn't yet turned 16. As Liam, he grew up in a culture where that would have made them the perfect couple, since he would have, in theory, established himself in some sort of stable livelihood (I know, Liam was a drunken skirt chaser, but I'm just talking typical culture, here) and Buffy would have been just about prime marrying age. Going by that, I would say that Angel didn't see anything at all unusual in their relationship.

Buffy was a typical 15 year old girl who just happened to be the Slayer, and she probably fantasized regularly before coming to Sunnydale about her Harlequin Romance prince with the dark, tortured past, desperately in need of that one girl (Buffy, of course) who could bring love, happiness, and a sense of purpose into his lonely life. The fact that he was almost twice her age only made the whole thing more romantic. Once more, going by that, I'm sure that Buffy was all in favor of the relationship. Also, we see throughout the series that Buffy seems to prefer older men.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Angel made that comment to Xander to get under his skin and make him feel insecure.

I don't think the age difference was as big of a deal as the life experience difference. Angel was a 200+ year old vampire, and even if he spent a significant part of that time hiding away doing nothing, he still experienced SO SO much more of the real world that Buffy had. I think Angel wanted Buffy to have the opportunity to have all those life experiences, and that is where his concern about age came from.

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
Except that Angel kept bringing up the fact that he was older than her.
It's a dominant males form of control. By reminding the female that they are younger than them it serves to elevate the male into a position of power and seniority. It's just one of the many secret ways that men manipulate and control women; it's all in the handbook we are supplied upon birth.

RagnarockerB

The Dearest Queerest
Sineya
Assuming that we're not counting vampire years, Angel was supposed to be in his middle twenty's and Buffy hadn't yet turned 16. As Liam, he grew up in a culture where that would have made them the perfect couple, since he would have, in theory, established himself in some sort of stable livelihood (I know, Liam was a drunken skirt chaser, but I'm just talking typical culture, here) and Buffy would have been just about prime marrying age. Going by that, I would say that Angel didn't see anything at all unusual in their relationship.

Buffy was a typical 15 year old girl who just happened to be the Slayer, and she probably fantasized regularly before coming to Sunnydale about her Harlequin Romance prince with the dark, tortured past, desperately in need of that one girl (Buffy, of course) who could bring love, happiness, and a sense of purpose into his lonely life. The fact that he was almost twice her age only made the whole thing more romantic. Once more, going by that, I'm sure that Buffy was all in favor of the relationship. Also, we see throughout the series that Buffy seems to prefer older men.

I agree with a lot of what is said here but at the same time, there's a ****ing reference to Lolita later on in the show. Angel is the creepy old ass Jeremy Irons trying to sleep with Buffy's Dominique Swaine. And you know the rule, Angel, half your age plus seven. Also, if your Flora is blue, no fifteen year olds for you.

It's one of those things best not spoken of, and it's made a lot easier by knowing that SGM and Boreanaz were both consenting adult actors playing a role.

Still, in some places, that's statutory.

Black Thorn
It's one of those things best not spoken of, and it's made a lot easier by knowing that SGM and Boreanaz were both consenting adult actors playing a role.

Still, in some places, that's statutory.
Fiction often mirrors reality. Older men with younger women...it's been going on since the dawn of time.

In fact, I've never seen a male vampire fall for an older human woman. Hmmm.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
In fact, I've never seen a male vampire fall for an older human woman. Hmmm.
Spike might have :p

I agree with Brinkster - the life experience. Buffy was more mature than her peers but was still limited in her experience of the world, compared with Angels 200 years. It would have been more disturbing to me had Angel fallen for someone like Willow, who was just so young in all ways, even though she was the same age as Buffy.

Could this attraction be related to the gypsy curse? Is it another level of curse for him to have fall in love with the one who was supposed to hate and kill him?