• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The Anointed one 's death

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
If I recall correctly, and this something I read on a fan site in 2003 about the script. Angel wakes up, with Colin standing at the foot of his bed. He asks "You know what he'll do to you if you interfere?" Angel: "Yes, I do.

Colin: "No, you don't."

As scripted, a creepy scene explaining Angel's reluctance to act in season 1. In practice, the actor Ginny'd it.

And of course, to Ginny something is where a Child Actor hired for a bit part can't bear the weight of actual acting.

Faded90

Scooby
If I recall correctly, and this something I read on a fan site in 2003 about the script. Angel wakes up, with Colin standing at the foot of his bed. He asks "You know what he'll do to you if you interfere?" Angel: "Yes, I do.

Colin: "No, you don't."

As scripted, a creepy scene explaining Angel's reluctance to act in season 1. In practice, the actor Ginny'd it.

And of course, to Ginny something is where a Child Actor hired for a bit part can't bear the weight of actual acting.
Is this a reference to Ginny Weasley? As in her having to go from ‘nervous little sister of friend’ to ‘love interest of main character’

Mr Trick

Scooby
People forget that Spike treats the Anointed One with a lot of respect to begin with. In fact her abases himself to the boy, flatters him and tries to prove himself.
It's only at the end of the episode when Spike has failed when he goes 'sod it' and just simply kills the Anointed one.
Before that? He acted as I guess Angel would've acted, and yet many still consider Spike awesome. S2 Spike especially. It all depends on how a scene is written.

I think that's more a problem with the Anointed one than Spike. The Anointed One served a purpose but after awhile they saw that he would never sustain as a character and that there wasn't room for him Spike and Dru on the show.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I think that's more a problem with the Anointed one than Spike.

I guess I'm responding to the idea that a badass vampire wouldn't be badass if they treated the Anointed One with anything approaching fear or respect. All the vampire remnants from the Master's time seem to be vying for the Anointed One's respect/proving themselves to him. I think its a great character moment for Spike for him to 'break the rules' and just kill the little git.
If Spike learned anything from Angelus its don't give poncy religious vampires any respect and do what you want anyway. Angelus showed The Master defiance and Spike does the same with the Anointed twerp.

As for how Buffy found out about the Anointed One's demise I'm sure Angel informed her whilst scouting about for information, probably from Willy the snitch.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I can see their fear of the boy as superstition. I've always liked that detail of vampires and demons. They can be absurdly superstitious (granted, so can humans though it's ironically not shown much in BTVS) complete with unholy days in which they have power or nights that become taboo.

I liked how in Angel that the Beast is upset that Angelus brought a Slayer, but then after smacking her around with ease and enduring her blows, he asks in bemusement, "This is all you are?" Like he's actually surprised, and feeling a bit dumb for having feared a Slayer.

I can see how the Anointed One has a similar overblown rep because he's somehow part of the prophecy preached by the Master. But in truth he was just a vampire boy, maybe a bit more powerful than usual from having the Master's blood in him and/or mystical rites. Who knows, maybe the Master chose a child because it's much easier to get a child to believe something absurd (while also easy to manipulate), and genuine self-confidence can psyche others out...but Spike isn't shown to be easily psyched out (hurt, yes, which includes vengeful as a vampire, but not psyched out).

I'm suddenly curious how the Master used his hypnotic abilities on vampires...probably more effective on new vampires than older ones. (And just remembering, he felt Darla's destruction, and they weren't even linked like with Luke.)

Stake fodder

Soulless
But in truth he was just a vampire boy, maybe a bit more powerful than usual from having the Master's blood in him and/or mystical rites. Who knows, maybe the Master chose a child because it's much easier to get a child to believe something absurd (while also easy to manipulate), and genuine self-confidence can psyche others out...but Spike isn't shown to be easily psyched out (hurt, yes, which includes vengeful as a vampire, but not psyched out).
I might think that a child vampire would seem more "pure", in the sense that he would have so much less attachment to or memories of being human. It wouldn't make him more powerful physically, but might make him more vicious and demonic. And the more hard-core the vampire, the more others seem to look up to him/her.

I think its a great character moment for Spike for him to 'break the rules' and just kill the little git.
If Spike learned anything from Angelus its don't give poncy religious vampires any respect and do what you want anyway.
Yes, Spike, always the rebel, would look upon anybody called "The Anointed One" as a challenge to kill, not because he thought it would be difficult, like with a Slayer, but because of his standing. Probably all the obeisance toward him at the beginning was just Spike's way of feeling out the situation. After all, he always hated "snobs and elitists," and the Anointed One would just be the vampire version of that. The fact that this then further builds Spike's reputation, as an "elite" vampire, is therefore maybe ironic.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Re; I don’t believe the Anointed One was Special. I think he played a role in luring the Slayer into the Master’s lair, or whatever the prophecy was. I think he was running things because Maestro named him his second in command. If Maestro was truly his sire, that would make Colin his heir, and he would have a portion of his will, power and his might. Which would be a reason to follow him. Also consider, the Aurelius cult by that time was greatly diminished. Only his true believers were left, the coerced, brought and bribed had all fled. But, aside from maybe having a deeper understanding of the Master's plans, I doubt Colin had any real qualities that qualified him for leadership, other than the loyalty of his Paladins. If Absolom was the regent, it wouldn’t surprise me.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
P.S. Also, I call him Maestro because The Master doesn’t always sound right, and the actor played The Maestro on Seinfeld.

Top Bottom