• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The BB Irish

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
Seems we've had a bit of an Irish surge on the boards the past few weeks so I thought it was time we got an auld thread going for us ;)

Where's everyone from? How'd you find BB? What about the bloody recession? ;)

ashsummers

Slayer
Dia dhuit a chara! Conas atà¡ tú ? Hail from Dublin myself. Guessing your from Stab City eh? ;)

My introduction to BB started with a good old fashioned Buffy marathon when I introduced my flatmate to it there recently. She naturally loved it. Then we saw Hallowhedon2 was happening and booked up. So I started checking out forums to see what people were saying bout it etc and hey presto I found BB. And I've kinda been addicted since.

Recession= ewww, stealing all my jobs. The aul pattern of Irish emigration might be a foot and soon me fears.

LauraGiles

Townie
My introduction to BB started with a good old fashioned Buffy marathon when I introduced my flatmate to it there recently. She naturally loved it.
I am said flatmate! Me and AshSummers met in college where she introduced me to Buffy. And of course I loved it, it's the best show ever! I used to think Dawson's Creek was, but have thankfully been converted! I'm from Westmeath. The recession is a pile of c**p! Nice to see a fellow Irish person! :)

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
Dia dhuit a chara! Conas atà¡ tú ? Hail from Dublin myself. Guessing your from Stab City eh? ;)

My introduction to BB started with a good old fashioned Buffy marathon when I introduced my flatmate to it there recently. She naturally loved it. Then we saw Hallowhedon2 was happening and booked up. So I started checking out forums to see what people were saying bout it etc and hey presto I found BB. And I've kinda been addicted since.

Recession= ewww, stealing all my jobs. The aul pattern of Irish emigration might be a foot and soon me fears.
Dia is Mhuire dhuit! Tà¡im go maith, buà­ochas le Dia. Conas atà¡ tusa féin?

You know, I'd normally kick up over that Stab City stuff but after what happened yesterday...

I sound like my Nana, but, the country has gone mad!

Fair play to ye ladies, flying the flag! I'm trying to ease some of my friends into the Buffyverse. So far I've got them to watch it, haven't quite got to the online stage just yet.

What college did ye go to? What ye study?

Oh shtop with that no jobs craic. All I keep hearing in my head is Tommy Tiernan joke for his first DVD:

"You couldn't find a job if you looked for one!".

Another Flight of the Earls seems to be on the cards. :(

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Aw look, our own little section of the boards!

Been here for AGES, first message board I ever joined, only real one I've stuck to (other then boards.ie, but thats just to lurk)

Not gonna lie, I (luckily) haven't been affected by the recession so much, I started first year, again, last year after a year break, and work was awesome about letting me go part time, and kinda make my own hours!

Also from Dublin here, it kinda weirds me out seeing people from Dublin on the boards, we could have walked past each other in the street! :D

Summerlilly

Covert Superhero
Dia duit!!! I've been obsessing over Ireland lately. I just found out I'm actually part Irish and I'm planning a trip there this summer!! Any recommendations or words 'o wisdom???

F
FetalPig
stay off the hard stuff ;)

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
The Irish Times had this in the paper today. A nice distraction from all the horrible headlines.

Amid all the talk of bailouts, it's easy to forget there are parts of Irish life that economics can't reach. We asked Twitter users to name the things they love about Ireland. Here are 50 of them, in all their unpunctuated glory

1 @emmagination our turns of phrase "“ "get up the yard" "get out of that garden" "down there for dancin'"

2 @dcbedwards knowing all your cousins 4 times removed and being shamed by your mother for not knowing all their kids too

3 @SeanMcP West Cork, the sunset through the namhog bus stop at Dingle Harbour, Lough Allan flat beneath a pure blue sky

4 @mrmonty Munster Finals

5 @ChristinaMcS The ritual "no thanks I'm grand I'm only after a cup" followed by "well if you're having one yourself"

6 @homeopath Everyone's got a party piece

7 @lightnessalways The book of Kells, Cliff of Moher, Phoenix Pk, Glendalough, National Stud, Japanese Gardens, Shannon, Ceide fields

8 @SimonPRepublic Where you can still watch a Western during prime time Friday night telly

9 @ killianormo Six degrees of separation for the world, two for the Irish!

10 @greenscribbler Community "“ People will always know and remember you no matter how long you have been away

11 @trixifi Wakes and funerals turning into a party

1 2 @gillianroseduff The Sam Maguire cup being taken around every school in the winning county

13 @AnnieAtkins Irish goodbyes: sneaking out of the pub before anyone coerces you into drinking another pint.

14 @scarie The postman dropping a package for you in your aunt's work, cos he knows you and your aunt and where ye both work

15 @ChrisFlack your mothers conversations that start with "Do you know who's dead?"

16 @SlabSquatthrust Keem beach on Achill Island, and the rest of Achill too

17 @idiotkid They can take away our sovereignty but they can never take our red lemonade or sugar sandwiches

18 @inforthenight Curracloe beach, the Aran Islands, Lough Boora parklands, the pier at Dun Laoghaire

19 @thebrieparty The fact that we don't have to pay for royal weddings

20 @rdelevan The Irish saved civilisation. (Sadly they then invested it in Anglo Irish Bank.)

21 @furlo Looking like quasimodo but still being able to charm the pants off a beautiful foreigner due to the accent

22 @charlemont Having a defence forces instead of an army

23 @bunda Fairytale of new York @ Xmas

24 @eyeblinks The Tart with the Cart, Floozie in the Jacuzzi, Stiletto in the Ghetto, Time in the Slime The Hags with the Bags

25 @foges70 All the ailments that can be treated by putting the kettle on

26 @rubot First country in the world to ban smoking in pubs

27 @poloconghaile Coumshingaun, crisp sandwiches, autumn forest walks and our penchant for tying football socks to holy trees!

28 @quiatimet Irish mammys

39 @SOIreland People going to amazing lengths to help each other. Never ceases to amaze me

30 @irishmarinelife Best surf in the world, and nobody believing you

31 @clairenolan Kilkenny Castle, Kilkenny with the Christmas lights out, Irish soda bread, irish chat and Kerry men!!
32 @levdavidovic Fellas with no teeth on Winning Streak

33 @culabula The inability to pronounce "th" and then magically inserting it where it doesn't exist cf. "heighth"

34 @lecraic Unpronouncable names (for English TV presenters). Take a bow Charles Hockey and Liam GallaGRR

35 @crosbhealai àr dteanga féin "“ An Ghaeilge!

36 @collumbo Apres Match, better analysis than BBC or ITV

37 @david_o_connell World class procrastination and still having the ability to change the world

38 @David_Ferrie Having a unique measurement of length "“ the long mile "“ and naming a road after it.

39 @mikeeng1and Weddings that finish when the bride and groom head to bed at 6am, sandwiches in the residents bar at 5am

40 @TellyDubby The warmth of a Leitrim welcome; peat smoke in your nose in the twilight

41 @Sliother the unassuming genius of Aidan O'Brien

42 @paulclancyNL Waving hello to complete strangers on country roads

43 @daracho Storytelling, the art-form and craft "“ not the solemn, dutiful recounting of mere facts

44 @anniewestdotcom Beautiful words fashioned in the misty dawn of the countryside, from celtic gossamer. Like . . . gobshite

45 @obrienbarry At GAA matches the fans of both teams mix and have a laugh together

46 @deatonm No killer spiders, box jellyfish, great white sharks, snakes or other dangerous animals.

47 @gillianroseduff The night when you go for a quiet drink and end up at someone's party having met their second cousin in the pub

48 @xfirefishx The fact that people 10 miles down the road laugh at your "funny" accent vice versa

49 @louiseholohan never letting the truth get in the way of a good story

50 @colettecaddle Laughing at our misfortunes even when it looks like the boat might be .......... glug
---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Dia duit!!! I've been obsessing over Ireland lately. I just found out I'm actually part Irish and I'm planning a trip there this summer!! Any recommendations or words 'o wisdom???
Well that depends on where do you want to go? Is there anything in particular you want to do? :)

ashsummers

Slayer
Also from Dublin here, it kinda weirds me out seeing people from Dublin on the boards, we could have walked past each other in the street
I say odds are we probably did. Madness. Aw, well I'm sorry if I did and never said hello :)

your mothers conversations that start with "Do you know who's dead?"
Haha this one is so true, lmao!

All the ailments that can be treated by putting the kettle on
When I was a kid one day i woke up with my neck swollen up with what looked like two tennis balls on the side of my face. My ma told me not to worry it was just swollen glands and she put the kettle on cos you know tea was the best remedy. Last month I went for a full medical for a job abroad and it tells you your entire medical history. Turns out I had the mumps at some point in my life. So I was like, wait hang on here a minute, no I haven't..then I remembered. Oh Irish mammies.

The inability to pronounce "th" and then magically inserting it where it doesn't exist cf. "heighth
hahaha I'm laughing cos my flatmate lauragiles does that all the time like she'll say thongue and then I'll laugh and she'll be like "what? what?"
She'll be on here in a minute giving out to me for that, ah well. No tea for me tonight ;)
Fairytale of new York @ Xmas
Aw I love that song so much. Has a lot of meaning for me.

Summerlilly

Covert Superhero
FetalPig agrees: stay off the hard stuff
Lol, ok.....will do. I'm sure I'll know what the "hard stuff" is right?

Well that depends on where do you want to go? Is there anything in particular you want to do? :)
Well, I was planning on going to Dublin for sure. But I also want to see a bit of the countryside. I really like Irish music and I would love to find a local pub with some good local music. I'm also very interested in old churches and castles. I really want to get a feel for the real Ireland, not just the touristy Ireland. If I ended up meeting a cute irishman...well, that wouldn't be too bad either. ;) I'm just starting to plan a 6 week europe trip with my sister in maybe july/aug or aug/sept and I wanted to start in Ireland.:D

ashsummers

Slayer
Lol, ok.....will do. I'm sure I'll know what the "hard stuff" is right?

Well, I was planning on going to Dublin for sure. But I also want to see a bit of the countryside. I really like Irish music and I would love to find a local pub with some good local music. I'm also very interested in old churches and castles. I really want to get a feel for the real Ireland, not just the touristy Ireland. If I ended up meeting a cute irishman...well, that wouldn't be too bad either. ;) I'm just starting to plan a 6 week europe trip with my sister in maybe july/aug or aug/sept and I wanted to start in Ireland.:D
Well the Cliffs of Moher in County Clare are a good one for a start. They're the most visited part of Ireland me thinks. Think they got a surge in popularity after they were in the last Harry Potter film. Though I've never been.

Hope that helped some. Any more questions feel free to send my way :)

In terms of pubs the Brazen Head is the oldest pub in Ireland dating back to 1198. Its in Dublin City Centre. It is quite touristy as you can imagine but some good craic is still to be had and it's definitely worth a look. It's even mentioned in James Joyce's Ullysses.

There are literally hundreds of castles in Ireland two of the most visited of which are Bunratty Castle a large tower house dating back to 970ad (also in Clare) and Blarney Castle in Cork a medieval stronghold circa 1446 which is perhaps best known for the Blarney Stone which is built into its battlements.

Legend has it that those who kiss it shall be endowed with eloquence of speech and flattery or as we Irish put it the "gift of the gab". Millions of people have kissed the stone including world statesmen and literary giants apparently, I personally have yet to succumb to its charm.

The best place to look up castles and other heritage sites is http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/ It's a comprehensive guide that's no BS.

Ireland is also famous of course for its literary talent. There would not have been a Buffy were it not for a Dracula and the Irish man who penned that classic Bram Stoker. They origin of which you can learn on the Dublin ghost bus tour.

Oscar Wilde (my hero) was of course Irish and The American College Dublin actually owns The Oscar Wilde House in Dublin where Wilde was born. Which hosts some nice exhibitions from time to time.

I dunno if you're a history buff at all but one of my favourite places to go in Dublin is the Decorative arts and History museum in Collins Barracks. http://www.museum.ie/en/homepage.aspx I've spent many a Saturday dragging friends around there and its always a nice way to spend the day particularly a rainy one.

S
Summerlilly
Thanks ashsummer! I'll hit you up for some more info when it gets closer and I do some more research!!! :)

Summerlilly

Covert Superhero
Legend has it that those who kiss it shall be endowed with eloquence of speech and flattery or as we Irish put it the "gift of the gab". Millions of people have kissed the stone including world statesmen and literary giants apparently, I personally have yet to succumb to its charm.
Really??? No interest in kissing it?? Why not? I guess it is kind of gross thinking about millions of people kissing it before you! ha ha I've heard of it and think I probably couldn't resist! Maybe that's where I'll meet my irishman!! ;)

ashsummers
ashsummers
Oh I'd definitely give it a go. I just haven't been there yet unfortunately.

Justme

Ohh a user title!
Well the Cliffs of Moher in County Clare are a good one for a start. They're the most visited part of Ireland me thinks. Think they got a surge in popularity after they were in the last Harry Potter film. Though I've never been.
When I was young we went to Cork every summer to see family. We would drive down there and always stopped at the Cliffs of Moher and my Dad would say the exact same thing "look at the Cliffs of Moher, The Guns of Navarone was filmed there". Us kids had never seen this film (in fact I still haven't now) but that didn't stop him.

We spent most of our holidays down on the Beara Peninsula which is an incredibly beautiful haunting place. I haven't been for years but it's a little less tourist than the surrounding areas (so I am told).

We went to the blarney stone once but there was a big queue and I think you had to pay to see it so we didn't bother.

Top Bottom