1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The BB Irish

Discussion in 'Buffy and Angel International' started by Kean, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

Sineya
    Seems we've had a bit of an Irish surge on the boards the past few weeks so I thought it was time we got an auld thread going for us ;)

Where's everyone from? How'd you find BB? What about the bloody recession? ;)

2. ashsummers

ashsummers Slayer

Dia dhuit a chara! Conas atà¡ tú ? Hail from Dublin myself. Guessing your from Stab City eh? ;)

My introduction to BB started with a good old fashioned Buffy marathon when I introduced my flatmate to it there recently. She naturally loved it. Then we saw Hallowhedon2 was happening and booked up. So I started checking out forums to see what people were saying bout it etc and hey presto I found BB. And I've kinda been addicted since.

Recession= ewww, stealing all my jobs. The aul pattern of Irish emigration might be a foot and soon me fears.

3. LauraGiles

LauraGiles Townie

I am said flatmate! Me and AshSummers met in college where she introduced me to Buffy. And of course I loved it, it's the best show ever! I used to think Dawson's Creek was, but have thankfully been converted! I'm from Westmeath. The recession is a pile of c**p! Nice to see a fellow Irish person! :)

4. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

Sineya
    Dia is Mhuire dhuit! Tà¡im go maith, buà­ochas le Dia. Conas atà¡ tusa féin?

You know, I'd normally kick up over that Stab City stuff but after what happened yesterday...

I sound like my Nana, but, the country has gone mad!

Fair play to ye ladies, flying the flag! I'm trying to ease some of my friends into the Buffyverse. So far I've got them to watch it, haven't quite got to the online stage just yet.

What college did ye go to? What ye study?

Oh shtop with that no jobs craic. All I keep hearing in my head is Tommy Tiernan joke for his first DVD:

"You couldn't find a job if you looked for one!".

Another Flight of the Earls seems to be on the cards. :(

5. Black Eye Guy

Black Eye Guy Taking over the World!

Black Thorn
    Aw look, our own little section of the boards!

Been here for AGES, first message board I ever joined, only real one I've stuck to (other then boards.ie, but thats just to lurk)

Not gonna lie, I (luckily) haven't been affected by the recession so much, I started first year, again, last year after a year break, and work was awesome about letting me go part time, and kinda make my own hours!

Also from Dublin here, it kinda weirds me out seeing people from Dublin on the boards, we could have walked past each other in the street! :D

6. Summerlilly

Summerlilly Covert Superhero

Dia duit!!! I've been obsessing over Ireland lately. I just found out I'm actually part Irish and I'm planning a trip there this summer!! Any recommendations or words 'o wisdom???

FetalPig: stay off the hard stuff ;)
  7. Kean

Kean Professional Bangel

Sineya
    The Irish Times had this in the paper today. A nice distraction from all the horrible headlines.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Well that depends on where do you want to go? Is there anything in particular you want to do? :)

8. ashsummers

ashsummers Slayer

I say odds are we probably did. Madness. Aw, well I'm sorry if I did and never said hello :)

Haha this one is so true, lmao!

When I was a kid one day i woke up with my neck swollen up with what looked like two tennis balls on the side of my face. My ma told me not to worry it was just swollen glands and she put the kettle on cos you know tea was the best remedy. Last month I went for a full medical for a job abroad and it tells you your entire medical history. Turns out I had the mumps at some point in my life. So I was like, wait hang on here a minute, no I haven't..then I remembered. Oh Irish mammies.

hahaha I'm laughing cos my flatmate lauragiles does that all the time like she'll say thongue and then I'll laugh and she'll be like "what? what?"
    She'll be on here in a minute giving out to me for that, ah well. No tea for me tonight ;)
    Aw I love that song so much. Has a lot of meaning for me.

9. Summerlilly

Lol, ok.....will do. I'm sure I'll know what the "hard stuff" is right?

Well, I was planning on going to Dublin for sure. But I also want to see a bit of the countryside. I really like Irish music and I would love to find a local pub with some good local music. I'm also very interested in old churches and castles. I really want to get a feel for the real Ireland, not just the touristy Ireland. If I ended up meeting a cute irishman...well, that wouldn't be too bad either. ;) I'm just starting to plan a 6 week europe trip with my sister in maybe july/aug or aug/sept and I wanted to start in Ireland.:D

10. ashsummers

ashsummers Slayer

Well the Cliffs of Moher in County Clare are a good one for a start. They're the most visited part of Ireland me thinks. Think they got a surge in popularity after they were in the last Harry Potter film. Though I've never been.

Hope that helped some. Any more questions feel free to send my way :)

In terms of pubs the Brazen Head is the oldest pub in Ireland dating back to 1198. Its in Dublin City Centre. It is quite touristy as you can imagine but some good craic is still to be had and it's definitely worth a look. It's even mentioned in James Joyce's Ullysses.

There are literally hundreds of castles in Ireland two of the most visited of which are Bunratty Castle a large tower house dating back to 970ad (also in Clare) and Blarney Castle in Cork a medieval stronghold circa 1446 which is perhaps best known for the Blarney Stone which is built into its battlements.

Legend has it that those who kiss it shall be endowed with eloquence of speech and flattery or as we Irish put it the "gift of the gab". Millions of people have kissed the stone including world statesmen and literary giants apparently, I personally have yet to succumb to its charm.

The best place to look up castles and other heritage sites is http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/ It's a comprehensive guide that's no BS.

Ireland is also famous of course for its literary talent. There would not have been a Buffy were it not for a Dracula and the Irish man who penned that classic Bram Stoker. They origin of which you can learn on the Dublin ghost bus tour.

Oscar Wilde (my hero) was of course Irish and The American College Dublin actually owns The Oscar Wilde House in Dublin where Wilde was born. Which hosts some nice exhibitions from time to time.

I dunno if you're a history buff at all but one of my favourite places to go in Dublin is the Decorative arts and History museum in Collins Barracks. http://www.museum.ie/en/homepage.aspx I've spent many a Saturday dragging friends around there and its always a nice way to spend the day particularly a rainy one.

Summerlilly: Thanks ashsummer! I'll hit you up for some more info when it gets closer and I do some more research!!! :)
  11. Summerlilly

Really??? No interest in kissing it?? Why not? I guess it is kind of gross thinking about millions of people kissing it before you! ha ha I've heard of it and think I probably couldn't resist! Maybe that's where I'll meet my irishman!! ;)

ashsummers: Oh I'd definitely give it a go. I just haven't been there yet unfortunately.
  12. Justme

Justme Ohh a user title!

When I was young we went to Cork every summer to see family. We would drive down there and always stopped at the Cliffs of Moher and my Dad would say the exact same thing "look at the Cliffs of Moher, The Guns of Navarone was filmed there". Us kids had never seen this film (in fact I still haven't now) but that didn't stop him.

We spent most of our holidays down on the Beara Peninsula which is an incredibly beautiful haunting place. I haven't been for years but it's a little less tourist than the surrounding areas (so I am told).

We went to the blarney stone once but there was a big queue and I think you had to pay to see it so we didn't bother.