• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The best/ bad things about Willow

Willow fan

Townie
I was wondering which of Willow's pieces you like best or worst. So let us know we can talk about that and you can talk about the entire Buffy series.

Faded90

Scooby
I don’t like the way she tends to flounce off during a confrontation that she has usually started and she projects a LOT onto arguments and acts like these projections are fact when they really aren’t. I’m thinking of scenes like Fear Itself when she does her ‘I’m not your sidekick’ schtick when nobody has ever said she was.

Actually I think what annoys me most is that in S3 (which I think is Willow’s worst season after S6) the show keeps framing her as ‘poor hard done by Willow’ even in the moments she’s been a total d***. Episodes like Dead Mans Party when the episode gives her the moral high ground and ends with her gloating about it. We see her saying ‘I just want you to talk to me’ erm Willow Buffy HAS been trying to talk to you, you’ve ignored her purposely throughout the entire episode - first standing her up and then pretending she can’t hear her during the party. I don’t think we’re supposed to realise the hypocrisy of it but I certainly do 😂.

Another is in Faith, Hope and Trick when she tells the new girl after knowing her less than a day Buffy’s most painful history and not only that but downplays it in a ‘she needs to get over it’ way. Buffy takes her anger wrongly at Faith here but this is something she should have been angry at Willow and Xander. Faith was just repeating what she’d been told. Willow even basically tells her she’s being boring. At least when Buffy is being douchey about the new girl she acknowledges it and even holds her hands up that she’s ‘being a lot’ except then in Bad Girls when Buffy spends what maybes 2 days having her own fun with Faith suddenly this is something worthy of a confrontation - and again more flouncing off and passive aggressiveness ‘Faith not with you?’ . Like it’s not like Buffy having new friends is a thing we see a lot, this is pretty much the last time it happens 😂 The first half of S3 Buffy is very much on the edges of the scoobies and keeps being blown off as she’s not part of the ‘double date’ group or she’s ditched like in Homecoming. She’s actually totally left out of things in Lover’s Walk but she just seems to shrug and accept it, but Buffy isn’t now allowed to do her own thing? It’s kind of a ‘ooo shiny new girl! Erm now Buffy is friends with shiny new girl. Erm no you need to give me my slayer back now she’s not being boring anymore’

It felt like S3 they were still trying to lean on ‘aw cute Willow!’ And ignoring that she’s actually a douchebag when she wants to be. Then portraying her as the victim of her own douchebaggery. I do like Willow in general in 90% of the episodes but she is a character that often doesn’t get her dickishness addressed and just gets covered up with a cutesy Willow moment

T
thrasherpix
Her "want you to talk to me" moment in DMP had me slapping my head the first time I saw it. Her passive aggressive gaslighting in that ep irks me even more than Xander's open contempt.

Priceless

Scooby
The worst thing Willow did, that she has no reasonable excuse for, was to stand Buffy up in Dead Man's Party. It's inexcusable, rude and incredibly cruel. Apart from that I can pretty much forgive Willow for everything else she does.

She's a complex character with deep feelings that she usually exposes in the most inopportune times and ways. She is beset by petty jealousies that speak to her low self esteem and lack of confidence growing up. She relies too heavily on those around her and struggles to be independent, though Xander and Buffy suffer with this too.

Faded90

Scooby
The worst thing Willow did, that she has no reasonable excuse for, was to stand Buffy up in Dead Man's Party. It's inexcusable, rude and incredibly cruel. Apart from that I can pretty much forgive Willow for everything else she does.

She's a complex character with deep feelings that she usually exposes in the most inopportune times and ways. She is beset by petty jealousies that speak to her low self esteem and lack of confidence growing up. She relies too heavily on those around her and struggles to be independent, though Xander and Buffy suffer with this too.
I agree. I think there’s a huge vein of codependency running throughout the scoobies relationship. I feel like S7 they may actually have a bit of a healthier relationship with each other where they’re less inclined to micro manage each other’s lives. I don’t know if this is a 90’s tv thing where friends always are depicted as being each other’s everything or just something that gradually got less suffocating as they matured

Nearwild

Townie
I think Willow's worst trait is that she doesn't deal with her problems. When something hurts her, she might express it briefly but then it's all brushed under the carpet. It feels like all the hurt is going in deep and staying there. The codependency, low self esteem, all the nonsense with Xander, her control issues, none of it is ever really dealt with and I feel that's where the Dark Willow aspect comes from. I need to pay more attention to her in S6 when I watch again, but it seems like they blame the magic for corrupting her, when I think it's far more likely all that inner turmoil corrupted the magic.

KaitKat

Potential
I think Willow's worst trait is that she doesn't deal with her problems. When something hurts her, she might express it briefly but then it's all brushed under the carpet. It feels like all the hurt is going in deep and staying there. The codependency, low self esteem, all the nonsense with Xander, her control issues, none of it is ever really dealt with and I feel that's where the Dark Willow aspect comes from. I need to pay more attention to her in S6 when I watch again, but it seems like they blame the magic for corrupting her, when I think it's far more likely all that inner turmoil corrupted the magic.

I agree completely about Season Six I feel like it was a cop out to chalk all Willow’s behavior up to magic addiction when in fact the magic addiction came about due to her inability to deal with her issues and I honestly don’t think that she ever did. Tabula Rusa sticks out to me as one of her worst episodes because to me it became completely clear that she wasn’t sorry she messed with Tara’s mind she was sorry she got caught….so she does it again. Again after she seems more upset by the consequences of her actions than her actual actions as she starts hanging out with Amy immediately afterwards. She’s an interesting character but I have a hard time liking her, it feels like for the most part she never really had to face any Consequences.

Top Bottom