• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The best season for Giles

What is your favorite season for Giles?

• Season 1

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Season 2

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Season 3

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Season 4

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Season 5

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Season 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Season 7

• Season 8

• other

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
I think by far it would be season 2. The character had a strong storyline and AH did amazing work. Other seasons may have had better individual Giles episodes, but season 2 en masse was his best.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I love librarian Giles! Season 3 is great because we get watcher Giles, non watcher Giles and father figure Giles and Ripper in Band Candy! He also gets a lot of great lines and scenes.

Close between 2 and 3, but I would just pip for 3. Think he gets the most character deveolpment in that season and the character kind of peaks there.

Black Thorn
I love season five - lots of fire and passion - and murdering Ben. Nice to see that Ripper has some permanent staying power. And there is the wonderful scene where he kinda gives his final blessing to Buffy but he survives so that's even better. And his look after Buffy dies....gah.

Damn allergies....sniffle....

Sineya
Season 2 for me, without a doubt. Delving into his past some more and his relationship with Jenny. Of course there is also the devastating end to that love story, which is a great episode, sad as it may be. Plus of course he's in his element- the library. :)

Cordy_Chase

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Sineya
By far season 2, but also the beginning of 3, the portion of the series containing his relationship with Jenny Calender. Giles' character was at one of it's strongest points with her. She brought out something in Giles that we didn't expect to ever see, a sense of romance and a lust for life that wasn't reckless or misguided. She helped him learn how to loosen up and enjoy the little things in life, she showed him that though it doesn't seem like there is a point to the simple pleasures, there is (to savor life and every moment you have with someone).
On a side note, I found it a bit unsettling that her undercover alias was the name put on her tombstone and not her Gypsy name, her true name; Janna of the Kalderash People.

Tidbits:
*Jenny's alias name was originally going to be Nikki but since Nicholas Brendon's on-set nickname was Nicky it was decided that it would cause too much confusion.
*Jenny was originally going to be killed in 'Innocence' while Oz was supposed to be the one Angelus killed in 'Passion' but then Whedon decided there was more he could get out of Oz so scratched his death and gave it to Jenny instead.

I did also like learning about his dark past as "Ripper", another unique angle to the character that wasn't expected. I can't remember what season that was though, I wanna say six.

bespangeled
bespangeled
Oh, God - Jemmy and torture and aargh - Giles best season is 1 - 5!
I am currently doing a full rewatch and I am just amazed at Season 3 Giles. ASH is such a brilliant actor, and Giles is just awesome, with his depth of feeling so well portrayed and so subtle, when he's dealing with Anya in The Wish, his deep disappointment in Buffy in Revelations and talking to Angel in Amends. ASH is good in all seasons, but here he does so much with so little

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
The answer is obviously season 5, but I wanna give an honorable mention to season 9.
Despite being DEAD for most of it, Giles still had a huge presence in it - the very first thing we see in season 9 of A&F is a flashback to Giles' life, and the entire plot of the season centers around Giles. The various flashbacks to Giles' life actually made me care for him in a way that the TV show never did - because he wasn't just the mentor of the heroes anymore, he was the hero of these stories.

And his relationship with Faith is, of course, one of the best ideas to come out of the Buffy comics. Both as a child, and as an adult.

@Guy Definitely one of the best things in the comics is Faith's relationships with Giles. But for me that's down to how Faith is written, she's so much more 'present' in the comics, she has become capable of forming relationships in a way she never was in the show. I love her with Angel, Nadira, the Aunts and everyone in the comics and am looking forward to see her in S11 (at last!)

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
@Guy Definitely one of the best things in the comics is Faith's relationships with Giles. But for me that's down to how Faith is written, she's so much more 'present' in the comics, she has become capable of forming relationships in a way she never was in the show. I love her with Angel, Nadira, the Aunts and everyone in the comics and am looking forward to see her in S11 (at last!)
Well, I don't think that the comics made Faith better or more "present" than before - she was one of my favorite characters ever in the TV show, too. Hell, after 'Sanctuary', Faith was my favorite character of all! (But Faith remained absent for so long after that episode, and by the time she came back, other characters became as interesting as she was, and Buffy even surpassed her. Again). Season 9 simply kept Faith on the EXTREMELY high standard she was always on. Giles, however, became a truly better character in season 9, IMO. We started seeing him from a different perspective - he wasn't just the mentor anymore, he was a hero/protagonist in his own right. I love that type of changes - like when Spike changed from Big Bad to comic-relief to love-interest, or when Willow went from side-kick to anti-hero to villain, etc... Characters always become more interesting when their function in the story changes.

And yes, thank GOD that Faith will come back in season 11 on 'Buffy', finally. And presented by Gage and Isaacs, who did her so well in season 9! I just wish that season 12 could give us a solo Faith series...

Last edited:
The Giles/Faith friendship in S8 was one of the many reasons why I'm glad the comics exist!

However, I feel that Giles shined the most in S2 and S3, especially in S3. Though my undying love for Passion made choose S2.

@Guy I obviously miss a lot of Faith's character arc because I don't watch Angel, something I hope to rectify soon. But in the comics she has changed from who I saw on BtVS and was incredible in S9, she takes care of Angel, willing to kill him if it becomes necessary, and has she ever had to care for anyone before? She also becomes mentor to a group of young Slayers, I think taking that caring role rounds out her character in ways I never saw on the tv, yet she still keeps that Faith-edge by being the one they turn to to kill the vampire children.

However, I feel that Giles shined the most in S2 and S3, especially in S3. Though my undying love for Passion made choose S2.
I love Giles in S2, but I thought he should shine in stories that are about him (and he does especially in Passion) but in S3 he's more of a secondary character or part of the ensemble and yet he still shines, his performnace is so subtle he convays so much with a change of tone or a raised eyebrow.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
@Guy I obviously miss a lot of Faith's character arc because I don't watch Angel, something I hope to rectify soon.
You do that! I don't even like Angel, but you gotta watch 'Angel' because the side-characters in it are great - and Faith is one of those side-characters.

But in the comics she has changed from who I saw on BtVS and was incredible in S9, she takes care of Angel, willing to kill him if it becomes necessary, and has she ever had to care for anyone before? She also becomes mentor to a group of young Slayers, I think taking that caring role rounds out her character in ways I never saw on the tv, yet she still keeps that Faith-edge by being the one they turn to to kill the vampire children.
She actually does some of these things in 'Angel' too. :)

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
I'm going to say season 1. I love stuffy Giles more than Ripper Giles.

By process of elimination, I know why no one would pick seasons 6 and 7 - how about that character assassination, huh? In season 5, Giles isn't given much of a role and I feel like he's a little disconnected and lifeless. In season 4, Giles is mostly comic relief and stuck inside his apartment - not the best environment for him. In season 3, Giles has some great moments and episodes - Dead Man's Party, Band Candy, The Wish, Amends, Helpless (good and bad), Bad Girls, Earshot, The Prom, etc. Giles is capable, reasonable, fair and caring this season. Also, he's wonderfully sarcastic and deadpan (""Don't you like my mask? It raises the dead." Americans.", "Wesley, you have the emotional intelligence of a blueberry scone. Just ask the girl to dance and stop fluttering about.").

In season 2, stuffy Giles is amazing in the beginning, and Haloween, Lie to Me and The Dark Age are great episodes for him, but I believe he handled the Angelus situation horribly and utterly innefficiently. Passion is a terrible episode for him. After the whole Angelus mess, he pretty much does nothing and indirectly blames Buffy for being inactive in killing the man she loves. In Passion, Buffy asks Giles for guidance and he says to ignore (!) Angelus. It's Buffy who asks about a spell to keep Angelus out of her house and her mom safe, and it's Buffy and Willow who perform it. Giles sits on his ass instead of coming up with a plan like Watchers do, and Jenny dies. After this, he still doesn't think up a plan until Buffy finally decides she's ready to face Angelus - no one prepares her, gives her emotional guidance, discusses strategy with her, etc. Everyone complains a lot about Buffy's inaction but no one does shit about it. So, yeah, not the best season for Giles imo.

In season 1, Giles is just adorable. He's all about research and not understanding teenagers. But he listens to Buffy, goes patrolling for her in Never Kill a Boy on the First Date, sits through awful auditions for The Puppet Show and is just an overall sense of joy and dorkiness. I love him the most this season, even if it's not his most interesting season (which is s3 imo). And Prophecy Girl is perhaps his best episode. In a true act of love and courage, he decides to spare Buffy and face the Master himself...Oh, and his crush on Jenny is adorable too!

matt124

Potential
Between season 2 and 2. I think 2 had the most focus on Giles also in part because of Jenny's relationship. But because he had many standout episodes. Wished opportunity for them to do a flashback episode showing Giles younger. But the comics did a good job at it fleshing out stuff just before sunnydale.

I love season 5 Giles though.

Sineya
Season 3 for Band Candy. We see him make two bad misjudgements - the cruciamentum in "Helpless" and marginalizing Faith, so he does not escape unchanged, but what are we looking for here - our favourite season for Giles or Giles' favourite season for himself? But Band Candy - could there be a better standalone for Giles?