• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Buffy Reddit hates Angel

Angel6

Potential
Thank god for you guys. It’s absolute madness over there. Angel gets dragged through the mud everyday. It’s quite saddening and it’s what brings me back here for a bit of balance that some people really do still love the character.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I feel that Buffy reddit has a lot of more casual fans but I still enjoy reading their thoughts :) the Angel reddit seems to have less casual fans.

Nondenomifan

Nondenomifan
Our grandparents hated rock and roll when it first came out, too. What are you going to do? Art is subject to the interpretation and preferences of the beholder.

AstridDante

Potential
That’s annoying. I appreciate Angel’s character. I feel it was explored more though in his own show which was more interesting to me

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Is Angel a character that is really despise ? I mean I know he has his « haters » like every others characters, but I didn’t know he gets so MUCH hate.
I get it - not saying I agree, but I get it. Just like I get why a lot of fans despise Spike. Characters like Angel (and Spike) are written in such a way that you feel strongly about them - very few fans just accept Angel or shrug their shoulders, most feel something; hate him, love him, dislike him, like him. I'm in the dislike camp, occasionally closing in on hate camp, on BtVS, while I'm definitely in the love camp on his own show, so even that can create some interesting differences.

Antho

Scooby
I get it - not saying I agree, but I get it. Just like I get why a lot of fans despise Spike. Characters like Angel (and Spike) are written in such a way that you feel strongly about them - very few fans just accept Angel or shrug their shoulders, most feel something; hate him, love him, dislike him, like him. I'm in the dislike camp, occasionally closing in on hate camp, on BtVS, while I'm definitely in the love camp on his own show, so even that can create some interesting differences.
Yeah I understand this but the question I’m asking myself is : do the hate he receives superior to the love ? Does he have more fans or more haters ?
You see, I know every characters have haters but I think Buffy, Spike, Willow,Xander and Giles gets enough love from fans to counterbalance the hate... i’m Not so sure about Angel

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Yeah I understand this but the question I’m asking myself is : do the hate he receives superior to the love ? Does he have more fans or more haters ?
You see, I know every characters have haters but I think Buffy, Spike, Willow,Xander and Giles gets enough love from fans to counterbalance the hate... i’m Not so sure about Angel
I think it's impossible to answer that, especially since it depends on where you go - here on the boards, we have very few Angel-haters and even then, don't know that they are haters or even that vocal about their feelings. But I also spend time on another site for Spufflings and there's a lot of Angel hate there. Also, from my experience in the fandom, I would personally say that Spike has an almost equal amount of haters as he does lovers.

burrunjor

Potential
Thank god for you guys. It’s absolute madness over there. Angel gets dragged through the mud everyday. It’s quite saddening and it’s what brings me back here for a bit of balance that some people really do still love the character.
Really? That's a shame. I'd say Angel is probably the greatest Vampire character of all time. Personally I always preferred Spike, as he was hilarious and ridiculously cool and everybody wanted to be him LOL.

Angel however I feel has more to his character (not surprisingly since he's the most prolific Buffy character even above Buffy herself.) He embodies all the best qualities of every Vampire character. The monstrous cruel side when he's Angelus, the romantic side and the superhero side of Blade.

Obviously it is. He wouldn't have got a series that lasted 5 years and is still one of the biggest cult shows of all time if more people hated him.

I think Angel is a bit unlucky though in that he is cast as more of a straight guy compared to his rival, Spike. Spike gets the better lines, is more obviously cool and charismatic.

However I like both for their own strengths and I'm sure most fans are the same.

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
I gonna agree with you as I was recently in there and it's not so much a warm and friendly place if you are an Angel fan and MOST DEFINITELY if you are a BAngel fan.

It the usual spill of Angel being a dull character, a padeophille, a control freak, etc, etc. Not a lot of positivity going on in any of the various threads when Angel is brought up but lord it is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE for the other SOULED Vampire.

But I think I find this in virtually any place where BTVS is discuss (and yes I mean on here as well!) although sometimes to a lesser extent.

Angel is just not a bad boy who is wise cracking and in your face character in the likes of Spike, Damon, Pacey, Barney, etc, etc so characters like a brooding Angel will never be as popular to viewers.

Still Angel does have his big fans, of which I am one of them and even some that appreciate him. I never thought being a MASSIVE BAngel fan that I would grow to love Angel even more when he separated from Buffy in leaving BTVS and going onto his own show but I most certainly did and I loving watching his character growing more as a person/vampire while still continuing to have that special connection to Buffy. It did make him a more rounded character who became more than just only being the love interest. I love his journey on ATS (even if there was some aspects of it that were less enjoyable!) But I also love him beginning on BTVS.
In general, I just LOVE me some Angel!! 😘🥰

Antho

Scooby
It’s in moment like this that I really miss me the period where I was alone in my bedroom enjoying the show. That was a simple time 😉. Fandom is extraordinary sometimes and sometimes it really exhausted me

Robert

Townie
I think a big reason for all the hate Angel gets on alot of Buffy forums is that his rival (and the character he's most often compared to) is Spike who has a huge fanbase that tends to dislike Angel as a character. Even with all the hate though Angel remains my favorite male character in the buffyverse.

Athene
Athene
But what's interesting is that it rarely happens in reverse or if it does I haven't seen it 😂

Antho

Scooby
I think a big reason for all the hate Angel gets on alot of Buffy forums is that his rival (and the character he's most often compared to) is Spike who has a huge fanbase that tends to dislike Angel as a character. Even with all the hate though Angel remains my favorite male character in the buffyverse.
I agree but not all Spike’s fan despise Angel. @Puppet said she likes him in his own show and well I think Priceless despite not being a big fan of Bangel likes him.. ( correct me If I’m wrong)and i’m Sure there are others.. I hope 🤞 !

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
I am glad that I don't read the Buffy Reddit and for what I read in this thread there is a lot of Angel hate there. Angel is an awesome character and is one that could have been fleshed out; as seen on Angel The Series. He was one of my favorite characters and the other one is Buffy. The Angel character would have been nothing without the portrayal of David Boreanaz. He did a fantastic job playing him.

Faded90

Potential
I think the Reddit sub is very pro Spuffy (it tends to win the polls by a wide margin) and the problem is some Spuffy’s (none that I’ve noticed on this forum sorry Spuffy’s!) tend to retaliate to Spuffy criticisms with ‘what about Angel!’. Hence the ‘Angel’s a pedo who statutory raped Buffy’ posts because apparently it was so much more respectful to wait until she was 19 to stalk her. There’s also the ‘Angel’s boring, quick someone post the ‘Angel’s dull quote and throw in a captain cardboard quote while you’re at if’ criticism that gets thrown at Angel and Riley because they aren’t quite as obnoxious as Spike. The Buffyverse is full of very nuanced complex characters that don’t always need to be throwing one liners out to be interesting. Even Buffy herself is closer to Angel’s personality type than Spike, rather reserved and tends to be more introverted about her feelings and yet I can’t imagine anyone thinking Buffy is dull

Sorry for rambling again! In short I think the Buffy Reddit is balanced in general but there is a section of fans that can be loud about ‘Angels a dull pedo. Spikes out for a walk bitch hahahaha’

Antho

Scooby
Angel might not be popular, especially in Buffy Redit apparently, but I’m wondering something 🧐 : when the show aired for the first time, would it be so popular without Angel ? I’m not saying that Angel is the reason the show was/is popular because it’s not true at all but I’m wondering if the show would have passed the first-three seasons without him... for me he largely participated at the hype of the show at that time and i think that if he wasn’t there Buffy would have been probably canceled. Sure, it’s impossible to verify that but it’s my opinion.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Not for me, but I do think it's more marketable to have a vampire romance (Angel without the romance doesn't count) so it might not be marketable enough without it to continue. And dating an ordinary guy would've been death to the show, same reason
Top Bottom