• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Cabin in the Woods

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
@Spanky here's the review! ;)
So I just watched this movie and I have to say I am really not a big horror movie fan. Really not! My parents didn't even allow me to watch it alone. Maybe because they thought I'd be scared or maybe they just wanted to watch it too. (probably the first :p)
Okay no matter what I knew I'd just love the movie, because it's by Joss Whedon and it has Fran Kranz, Amy Acker and even Tom Lenk in it!!!!!!!! :D
(Btw I watched it in german and Amys character (Lin) had the voice of Darla's (Julie Benz) german synchro voice! SO WEIRD!!! Amy has the same german synchro voice in everything I've seen her in german, except this!)

The first part of the movie I thought like "Is the plot of every horror movie just to kill everyone one after the other? No other story?!?" And I was really mad that Marty died. He was like the only one who noticed that there was something going on! And my expactations were not high for the rest of the movie as everyone was dying. :(
Then from the point as Marty came back till the end, it was just AWESOME!!!!!!!!! (Imo) I loved his return! I loved the many monsters!
And even my mother seemed to enjoy it :p lol.
I liked that Hadley who always wanted to see the merman finally got to see him... As he killed him. I liked that the facility staff got killed, kinda like a pay back for what they do. They always kill and torture people with those creatures and now they have to suffer that too. Though how dare they kill Amy Acker! Sorry... Lin!
I loved how in the end Dana doesn't kill Marty. And they share a cigarette and are like after all these bad things humans have done, humanity deserves to die! Such an amzing ending!!!

So in my opinion it's a real amazing film! Truly loved it! Though the beginning could have been a bit more interesting, a bit more plot than just "Oh, kill one! And now kill an other one! And then kill the next one!"
I have no expirience with horror films, so all the praise I've heard about it as being a masterpiece and changing the genre and all, I can't say anything to that. I just can say I loved the film! I loved Fran Kranz! I loved Amy Acker! I loved that even Tom Lenk was in it! And the ending was (Imo) masterful! If one now calls the movie a masterpiece is up to them. I really liked it. :D
And I just have to say I loved the humor! The funny scenes were great LOL! Just that *ding* from the lifts with the monster and then the slaughtering begins!
The virgin... We work with what we have :p
And just loved every scene with Topher... Um sorry... Marty!!!

What about you?

Have you watched it? (Me: obviously yes :p)

Did you like it? (Me: obviously yes! Loved it!)

What did/didn't you like about it? (Me: Didn't like the much killing, but guess that's what you get in a horror movie :p lol. Other than that, LOVED ALL!!!)

Do you have a favourite scene or character? (Me: Character Marty, Lin, Dana. Scene probably the ending and also when we see all the boxes with the many monsters and they realize they should choose how they die.)

If you have other questions what I thought as a first time watcher, feel free to ask. I wasn't really sure what to write in a review :p

Last edited:

thrasherpix

Scooby
Watched it, loved it. I only watched it because of the people involved (producing it, acting in it, etc). I typically don't care for slasher horror movies, though I suspected (rightly) that this one would be comedic (and I love the Evil Dead movies, but explaining why they're an exception isn't something I want to go through the trouble of explaining why).

One of the great things about this was how it was mocking a lot of horror movies of this genre...and I've seen enough to recognize that. Therefore I liked the first half more than I otherwise would've. Offhand, I can't think of what I didn't like (but I haven't seen it in years). I do remember loving the elevator scene and the end (btw, I read or heard an editorial on how the Old Ones represented the audience of horror movies, including that one, and if the formula wasn't followed then they'd rage over it, which is why the sacrifices had to be the way they were, including with the virgin character, and I thought that was brilliant as well as funny in its own sake).

Plus, this is something I keep easy to find as it helps make me smile when I'm having a bad day...

(Profanity warning.)

Btw, you might also like this interesting fan theory shared for entertainment which is how the Whedonverse is all connected, including Cabin in the Woods causing the exodus of the planet and leading to Firefly (and notice things like how the people at the end are wearing "hands of blue"):

Willow Tara

Sineya
Did you think it was scary?
Kind of yes, but some of the blood scenes were more disgusting than scary.
Watched it, loved it. I only watched it because of the people involved (producing it, acting in it, etc).
Me too. :D
I typically don't care for slasher horror movies, though I suspected (rightly) that this one would be comedic
Yeah me too, loved the humor! :)
One of the great things about this was how it was mocking a lot of horror movies of this genre...and I've seen enough to recognize that. Therefore I liked the first half more than I otherwise would've. Offhand, I can't think of what I didn't like (but I haven't seen it in years).
Okay that's kinda sad, that I could've enjoyed it more if I had seen more other horror movies. If it's not to difficult or timeconsuming, could you explain how it mocks other horror movies of the genre, to someone who hasn't seen many horror films? :)
I do remember loving the elevator scene and the end
Yeah me too! Loved it!!!
(btw, I read or heard an editorial on how the Old Ones represented the audience of horror movies, including that one, and if the formula wasn't followed then they'd rage over it, which is why the sacrifices had to be the way they were, including with the virgin character, and I thought that was brilliant as well as funny in its own sake).
Cool! :D Do you know where I can read/hear this? Is it on the special features of the DVD?

Plus, this is something I keep easy to find as it helps make me smile when I'm having a bad day...

Okay, thanks :) Will watch it later.

Btw, you might also like this interesting fan theory shared for entertainment which is how the Whedonverse is all connected, including Cabin in the Woods causing the exodus of the planet and leading to Firefly (and notice things like how the people at the end are wearing "hands of blue")
Yeah I already started watching it once, though then I thought I'll watch when I have watched TCITW too, so will watch that now too. :D

Thanks @thrasherpix for your post, loved the interesting information :) And agree with everything you said.

Last edited:

godderofworms

five by five
I remember the first time i saw it i really didn't like it. I was/am really into the horror genre but could never really stand "horror/comedy" movies (Evil Dead is one of the few exceptions) but then i re-watched it about a year later because people were praising it and asking if i had seen it so i figured maybe i should give it another try and see if my opinion changed and it really did. I appreciated what is was trying to do and honestly couldn't even remember why i didn't like it in the first place (aside from my slight aversion of "horror/comedy")
But seeing this post now has made me want to go and re-watch it again!

thrasherpix

Scooby
Okay that's kinda sad, that I could've enjoyed it more if I had seen more other horror movies. If it's not to difficult or time consuming, could you explain how it mocks other horror movies of the genre, to someone who hasn't seen many horror films? :)
I'm glad I saved that review on CITW that references us, the audience, as the Old Ones, as in the 6th minute they also go into how it mocks horror tropes (using a weapon only once, splitting up, having sex or taking off clothes at random times, etc).

Willow Tara
Willow Tara
OMG Thank yoooouuuu!!!!!!!

Willow Tara

Sineya
I'm glad I saved that review on CITW that references us, the audience, as the Old Ones, as in the 6th minute they also go into how it mocks horror tropes (using a weapon only once, splitting up, having sex or taking off clothes at random times, etc).

I LOOOOOOOOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!! This is so awesome! I just gotta go and rewatch the movie again now that I know this! Now I love the ending even more! And just the whole movie!!!! Even though I have literally not seen any of the referenced movies, I just LOOOVE how much thought they put into this! It is AMAAAZING!!!!!! And really cool that we (the audience) are the old ones. It's amazing! Now I can completely, truly say I think it's a masterpiece and I LOVE the movie!!! SO AMAZING!!! :D
Thanks @thrasherpix for sharing this! :)

Willow Tara

Sineya
Also what I loved about it and forgot to mention is, that the virgin was optional and not necessary ;)
Cause I always thought...

Last edited:

genghiskhan

Potential
Black Thorn
I watched it when I was maybe 11 and I didn't like it at all, I'm a massive horror fan and I always have been and I can't remember it but I remember hating the ending. I might give it another chance at some point.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I watched it when I was maybe 40 and I didn't like it at all, I'm a massive horror fan and I always have been but I remember disliking pretty much everything about this movie. Direction and script being a key reason for my disdain.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I still LMAO at the motorbike scene. Got a gif thing for that?

I loved this movie when I saw it. Made me laugh and I always like seeing familiar faces. I don't really watch horror stuff any more but watched a whole lot when I was younger. Outgrew it, but this I would see again.

Willow Tara

Sineya
I still LMAO at the motorbike scene. Got a gif thing for that?

I loved this movie when I saw it. Made me laugh and I always like seeing familiar faces. I don't really watch horror stuff any more but watched a whole lot when I was younger. Outgrew it, but this I would see again.
Me too!!! Love it! It's really funny! :D And I too like seeing familiar faces (Fran, Amy 😍) I'm not a huge horror fan (never been) but I love this movie :)

Top Bottom