• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

The Characters for Joss Whedon’s New Show Sound Very Whedon-Esque, and Not in a Good Way

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
It would be great if there were a steampunk element, but I don't think we can count on that. I suspect it will be about the effects of superpowered women in a realistic version of the Victorian world.

If you're looking for "Victorian steampunk with magic and a strong female lead" then the upcoming His Dark Materials on HBO will be for you.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
It would be great if there were a steampunk element,
I would hate it. Steampunk is so dated now. It's tired. Would rather see them running around in corsets and parasols. Honestly, nothing would disinterest me more than knowing it's steampunk.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I've never cared about a story style being "dated"... I'm not sure what even counts as "current" right now. I still love reading cyberpunk, and that's an 80's thing.

Spanky
Spanky
I don't mean dated as in not current, I meant moreso that there was a deluge of steampunk everywhere a few years back and it seemed so saturated.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I don't mean dated as in not current, I meant moreso that there was a deluge of steampunk everywhere a few years back and it seemed so saturated.
It may be having a resurgence now, with His Dark Materials coming up on HBO. But I very much doubt The Nevers will be steampunk. It would undercut what they're trying to do, having these women with their powers be very unusual and probably objects of fear to the muggles.

nightshade
nightshade
His Dark Materials was never steampunk though

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
It may be having a resurgence now, with His Dark Materials coming up on HBO.
And Carnivale Row on Amazon has a steampunk feel. That's why I really hope it's not. I don't believe it would be - especially the way Whedon talks about the era and wanting to capture the authenticity of it.

Top Bottom